0 comments

Mystery

The sky appeared to be gloomy as the cold breeze stung Lillian’s skin. She had to squint to read the small print of the location’s address in a tall and rusty pole.

Aurus St. East

Exactly. She was in the right address, but where is the orphanage? This was almost certainly out of nowhere. A huge farming field behind her with the narrow road and a line of pine trees in front of her. Where else could the orphanage be? She took her phone out from her malachite green jeans and stood there patiently as she dialed Michael’s number. In another minute he answered,

“Yes?”

“I do know I’m in the right address, but I couldn’t see the Thoyse’s orphanage anywhere. I believe you’re familiar with this place, may you help me? And it’s getting cold, I need a place to warm up.”

“Oh, yes. The Thoyse’s address can be pretty puzzling, but if you’re standing next to the address pole where it reads ‘Aurus St. East’, walk straight to the trees and from there you would see the view of the orphanage. Follow its direction and you’ll get to the place.” Michael replied, sounding as if he’s chewing something in his mouth.

“Hm. Thanks. Sorry to bother you by asking. I’m just somehow really cold and tired. This is the last orphanage on the list. I’ll just deliver the last donations and then I can go home.”

“Good. I hope you warm yourself soon as you get there Lillian. Bye.” Michael said and hung up.

Lillian picked the box of donations sitting on the ground right next to her leg and continued her steps ahead. Just a little more and she’ll be finished. She drove to seven orphanages today and she felt as if she’s more than ready to lay back to her bed which provides her enjoying comfort and warmth. The cold was still bearable, but she didn’t know for how long. The moment Lillian passed by the line of trees, Michael was right. Now the orphanage from a distance appeared in her sight. She propelled her feet once more until the orphanage came towering her.

Shortly as Lillian had a good look at the huge house, she gasped in shock.

 “Goodness…” She muttered under her breath. It was a sight that filled her with amazement.

The orphanage looked exactly like a real-life dollhouse that everyone commonly sees in fairy-tales in a fairy-land. Its walls painted with strong color and high in chroma. Every edge highlighted with great structure. It was unbelievable though it was right in front of her. Was this real? Or did she passed out along the way and now she’s only dreaming? Lillian pinched herself.

No.

She was there and it was real.

The Victorian dollhouse-like orphanage released the child in her. As amazement overflowed her, she rapidly walked towards the steps unto the main door of the orphanage. Her index finger pushed the polished button of the doorbell. The sound of the doorbell’s Ding was impressive to her senses. Her tiredness was replaced by curiosity and amusement after seeing the external part of the orphanage. Now she felt excited to see the inside.

The sound of footsteps ascended to the door. She readied herself with a smile and a good posture.

Finally, the door opened, and she met a pair of wonderful bright golden stained eyes. The old woman’s skin was wrinkled but the skin itself looked like hard-paste porcelain. And the strands of her hair a fine-grained color of white. A vibrant pink buttoned knee-length dress she wore that can easily catch one’s attention. A smile plastered on the old woman’s face. The old woman seemingly fit herself with the house. She was like a toy inside a dollhouse.

“May I help you with anything my dear?” The old woman asked, directly looking at Lillian’s eyes without taking off her broad smile. Her voice was devoid of bitterness.

For a moment Lillian was lost in her thoughts. The strange feeling inside of her grew more at the same time as her excitement and curiosity did.

“I’m here to bring the donations from the Shepherdhood community in the town of Chlorahill. It’s our community’s donation for the orphans. I believe you’re Mrs. Thoyse” Lillian said politely.

The old woman remained smiling, now her head slightly inclined but her eyes fixed directly at Lillian’s.

“Well…” The old woman’s gaze moved to the box Lillian was carrying. “Yes, I am. And I am very delighted to welcome you. Come inside now and warm yourself. You are prone to cold in this weather condition dear. Come and I will introduce you to the orphans.” The old woman said as she moved beside and gave entrance to Lillian.

The way that the old lady moved was unnerving, Lillian thought. And the way she spoke every word slowly felt unlikely usual but Lillian brushed the thought and stepped inside.

As soon as she stood on the carpet of the entrance. Her body met the warmth of the house. It was a refreshment to her bones. A scent immediately wafted through her nose. A kind of scent that will remind you of sunrise, sweets, and flowers but somehow unlike in nature.

The old lady nodded her head slowly not leaving her gaze off of Lillian’s eyes. “The orphans will be very happy.” The old lady said in a low tone and turned back slowly, heading towards the entrance of the kitchen. Lillian followed her whilst she admired every corner of the house. Walls painted only with bright pleasing colors. Everything was polished near perfectly. The vase’s outline was unbelievably like a cartoon coming out to life. Every edge of the furniture defined perfectly. Her gaze landed on the floor, which made her guilty of another step because of how it has no single dirt in it.

Was the base of her boots dirty?

Did she stepped at the carpet and left unnecessary grime?

Her thoughts were agitated as she walked inside the kitchen; seeing the orphans sitting with their back fully straight in the long dinner table. There sat twelve of them, and Lillian’s eyes saw twelve oddly wide smiles from the orphans. All of their eyes fixed at her.

“Hello there, it is beyond our pleasure to meet you.” The orphans spoke all at once. Their clean voices brought a little echo. And it brought a sudden sense of alarm in Lillian.

Weird.

Were they acting?

All of their movements and smiles brought a swelling wave of a warning to notice. Lillian managed to spoke despite her rumbling thoughts.

She walked further and placed the box of donations on the table. “Hello… I’m as well happy to see all of you” Lillian moistened her lips. Why were her nerves shaking all so suddenly? She wanted to dismiss the feeling but she couldn’t.

Then she glanced at every single one of the orphans. All of the texture of their skin was the same as the old woman’s, which looked extremely like porcelain. Their hair seemed fake and hard and the strands were giving a heavy look. The fineness of their eyes was unnatural. All the clothes were colorful and neat and appealing to the sight.

But they never wore the smile off…

“It is unwell to speak such tone with evident nervousness to the orphans my dear.” The old lady said, looking still at Lillian with the same smile formed across her face. “You must choose your actions according to the propriety of this house.” The old lady continued.

Propriety?

Is this some kind of joke? Were they acting and fooling her?

But why would they do that?

Now Lillian’s head was filled with questions.

Everything was strange. She simply nodded, doing her best to show respect to the elderly and the orphans.

Maybe they were taught and disciplined like this. To adapt to the given set of rules by the old lady. To speak and act according to what Mrs. Thoyse believed as pleasant.

“Mrs. Thoyse… May I know all of their names?” Lillian asked.

“Truly you must.” The old lady stood beside the chair of the young boy, her hand cupped his shoulder. “You begin.”

The young boy stood fully from his chair. His lips were soft pink and his eyes a shade of forest green. Lillian noticed his nails. They were also neatly shaped.

“I am Brahms.” He spoke and sat down.

“I am Holly.”

“I am Tobias.”

Guinevere.

Samuel.

Betty.

Darwin.

Lisa.

Thomas.

Wendy.

Jackson.

Then the last girl stood up. But she was different…

She gave Lillian a different look. A look that made Lillian feel that the little girl wanted her to tell something other than her name.

“I am M-Mona--”

“Did you remember what I have taught you about the proper way of speaking and the rightful position of your tongue?!” The old lady said as she clenched her teeth, forming a forced smile. The little girl flinched as Mrs. Thoyse approached her way. Lillian’s eyes widen and rippled in shock seeing how the little girl’s eyes flickered in fear.

“Wow! It was nice to hear all their wonderful names.” Lillian interrupted. She faked an expression. At this point, she was fundamentally conflicted.

Mona sat down on her seat as Mrs. Thoyse turned to Lillian with the same uncanny smile. “Indeed. Now let me make you tea.” Mrs. Thoyse slid a chair to her direction and gave her an offering glance. “Sit yourself down.”

“Thank you but I’m afraid it’s time that I go. I appreciate the time you gave.” Lillian spoke then looked at the orphans then to Mona. She wanted to step out of the atmosphere of the house.

“Thank you. I do appreciate your presence and time as well. I suppose you haven’t spoken your name to me yet dear.”

“Lillian.”

Mrs. Thoyse’s face appeared to be affected by a jolt of shock. She managed to swallow. Her eyes wide like the whole world is crumbling.

“Mrs. Thoyse are you alright?” Lillian asked as she gave the old lady a worried look.

“Lillian… Lillian… Lillian…” Mrs. Thoyse whispered the name under her breath. She shook her head instantly. “No… It can not be… Lillian… Lillian… Lillian…”

Lillian never felt this uneasy. She took a few steps back and said, “Alright now Mrs. Thoyse I’m going.”

“Lillian… Lillian…” The old lady continued.

Lillian ran out of the door and went back to her car in a couple of strides. As she shut the door of her car, she released a breath and chuckled in disbelief.

What was wrong with that orphanage?

The house appeared to be conspicuous at first but what the hell was wrong with them especially the old woman? They were like toys.

She started the car and made her way back on the road. Lillian reached for her phone and dialed Michael. After a couple of rings, finally, he answered.

“Yes, Lillian?” He said and cleared his throat.

“What the hell was that?”

“What do you mean?”

“Back at that last orphanage Michael. The house was peculiar especially the old lady I met who welcomed me to see the orphans.”

“You didn’t know?” Michael asked.

“Didn’t know what?”

There was a short moment of pause before Michael began to speak again. “That house has a story. It was there for a long time and long ago… Thoyse lost her very first daughter. That’s why she started adopting and bringing lost, homeless kids to her house. But quite frankly that old woman is mentally deranged. She sees the orphans as dolls so she takes care of them like dolls. Waxing off their excess hair to satisfy herself with what she wanted them to look. She's obsessed with keeping every little thing clean. It's weird. I know you saw that.”

Lillian laughed. She had taken too many jokes for today. “Michael… Is it… I don’t know what to say actually.”

“Believe me. Even the antique clock in that house ticks perfectly. And another thing is… The name of her lost daughter is Lillian.”

September 17, 2020 08:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.