15 comments

Kids Funny



I was sitting cross legged on a soft surface. My eyes were closed. I tried to take a deep breath, but instead water filled my lungs. I opened my eyes and I was sitting on a carpeted floor somewhere. But every time I tried to breathe, water entered my nose from some unknown source. I was drowning, sinking through the floor. 


With a start, I woke up. My mom came in to wake me up for school. 

“Come on sweetheart, time for school!”

“Yeah, yeah.”I grumbled, throwing the blankets off of me.

After eating breakfast and getting ready, I made it just in time to catch the bus. My friend Mandy was already there waiting in our usual spot. 

I didn’t feel like talking after my nightmare, which was alright because Mandy did enough talking for both of us anyway. 

“Oh, my, god, you will, like, never believe it! So I was just, like, on my phone, and, like, I got a text, and you know how I can’t, like, see the message before I open it, right? So, I was like, oh, it’s probably just Nance or something and Oh my god, it was Marcus!! Can you believe it? I didn’t even know he had Snap or at least not my snap, and, like, we talked for like half an hour straight!!” Mandy said, barely pausing for breaths.

“Wow, Mandy. Congratulations?” 

“Don’t you wanna know what we talked about??”I rolled my eyes. Mandy’s way too boy crazy. She’s been crushing on Marcus since the first day of school.

“Not really, besides we’re already at school.”

“Ugh, whatever. Meet me at lunch?”

“Yeah, yeah. Table 7 alright? I cannot eat with those ‘popular girls’ again.”

“Kay. See ya!” Mandy called as she walked off the bus to her entrance. 

“Bye Mr. Richards!”

“Have a good one!”

I began walking to my own entrance. As soon as I made it to my locker, I stopped dead in my tracks. 

It was swim tryouts after-school! I had completely forgotten to bring my suit! After quickly gathering everything I needed for my first two classes, I ran to the office.

To my dismay, the grumpy office lady was there, instead of the sociable one who always gave you candy when you asked her something. But, I couldn’t really do anything about it so I gathered up all my politeness and charm and went up to her.

“Hello! I was just wondering if I could call my mom real quick before advisory?” She narrowed her eyes at me.

“And for what reason is that?”

“Well, um, there’s swim tryouts today and I forgot my stuff.”

“Your stuff? As in what, your physical, or what?” I was getting pretty annoyed now. Why the heck did she need to know??

“No, I already have one of those on file. I need my swimsuit and towel,” 

“Ahhh. Okay. Go right ahead. Dial 8 before the area code.” I nodded and made my way to the phone at the edge of the desk. 

“Hello, Mom?....Yeah…...No,no, everything’s fine…...Yeah, that’s what I was calling about……..Uh-huh…….Just before the end of the day, anytime before 3……..Thanks so much……..Love you too…….K, bye!” Beep. A quick glance at the clock told me I was going to be late.

“Um, excuse me, Ms….”I paused to read her name tag. “Ms. Burns?”

“What is it this time?” 

“Well, um, I’m late to class, so I was wondering if I could have a pass,”she dramatically rolled her eyes at me(are teachers even supposed to do that?!) and motioned for me to hand her my planner. Thank God I had it already turned to the right page for passes.

Ms. Burns handed me back my planner wordlessly. I practically ran out of the office and to my first hour class-Science(I missed all of advisory). 


The day passed in a frenzy of me constantly checking the clock and waiting to hear my name over the PA system. I thought my mom would never come. I thought she probably forgot.


Just as the 6th hour was ending though, I heard “Nancy, please report to the office. Nancy, please report to the office. Thank you.” I immediately shot up from my seat and speed-walked to the office. Right as I opened the door, the bell rang and students flooded the halls.

“You called me into the office?” I asked the office lady.

“Yes. Your mom came earlier and left you a bag. It’s right there.” I thanked the lady and got the bag with a sticky note on it. It read Sorry I’m so late Nance. Good luck today! Pick you up at 4! Love you! -Mom

I quickly ripped it off and threw it away before making my way to the locker room to change for tryouts.

There were so many girls, I barely had any space to change.

Soon, I was putting on my swim cap with the help of these two girls I didn’t know. 

After I was finished, I had nothing to do but wait.

And then I started to get nervous. Not the type of nervous where you’re all jittery and mostly excited, but the type of nervous where butterflies grow in your stomach until it feels like you want to throw up. 

As the coach called us to the pool, my legs felt like jelly.

What if I drowned? What if my nightmare came true? 

My breathing came heavier and heavier.

“Um, are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost!” someone said. I smiled weakly.

“I’m fine.Totally fine.” I replied. But I wasn’t. My heart started to pound heavier and heavier in my chest. 

The coach called the first group of girls and soon, I was part of the next group. 

I shakily walked up to the pool and onto the diving board.

As soon as the coach said “Go!” I forgot about my fears. I dived into the water. 

Being in the water made me feel alive! Soon, tryouts were over, and we went home.


Now, I stand here waiting for the coach to put up the people who made the team. 

Here she comes now!


Lila…………...Hannah………………….Nancy! 

I did it! I made the team!!



The End


July 08, 2020 16:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

נιмму 🤎
20:13 Aug 08, 2020

im liking your stories while upgrading to remind me to read it later and give u some feedback😗😎

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:14 Aug 08, 2020

:) OFFICIALLY DONE YOURSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nirosha P
04:47 Jul 21, 2020

Love this story! Especially the ending :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jubilee Forbess
21:16 Jul 17, 2020

Yay, she made the team! I *wish* I could swim too but I've never learned and now I'm kind of old to figure it out so oh well, I'd better just stay away from the water. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:28 Aug 15, 2020

This was cool Armani! (please don't correct me because yes, I know the right spelling but your name reminded me of a popular singer called Normani and I love the name and yours reminded me of it! That is, if it's okay with you...) I really liked this story, typical tryout feelings, when your stomach just refuses to stop doing the 'flop'. (cringy but excited feeling!) (P.S. Thanks for liking my story :D)

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:31 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you! No, I don't mind, as long as it is a good thing, lol. Yep.... No problem, I found you due to the fact that we both have a "sis" in common, Celeste Jiminez, and if she is your friend then you must be cool, so, yeah... Thanks again!

Reply

18:42 Aug 15, 2020

😎😎😎 You're WELCOME!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
02:24 Jul 27, 2020

LOVE it. You always seem to be able to capture the characters view. Wonderful ending

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:55 Jul 20, 2020

Good job with the realistic teenager-style dialogue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:46 Aug 13, 2020

Amazing!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:15 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
02:24 Jul 27, 2020

LOVE it. You always seem to be able to capture the characters view. Wonderful ending

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:46 Sep 10, 2020

I'm re-reading this, and one thing... How does making a phone call take an hour or more? That's the only problem I found, everything else was AMAZING!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:54 Sep 11, 2020

Well actually, advisory lasts only like 10 minutes. Thank you!

Reply

15:53 Sep 11, 2020

Oh... since it's online school, for me it's one hour... that the only reason I thought of that so...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.