0 comments

Mystery

 "Have you heard the news?" Betty asked, I looked up at her. It was lunch time at school, I was sitting at a table alone.


"What news?" I asked, I adjusted myself on the bench wondering what she was talking about. Everyone was staring at us, I looked around realizing it was just me they were staring at. I looked back up at her, she had this, sinister smile on her face.


"You were chosen" she answered with such excitement. Which I found weird, Betty does not like me. Ever since someone found out that Riley likes me, and told everyone. Betty likes Riley, and wants him. I like him to but, we never get to talk.


"Ch...chosen for what?" I stuttered. She just smiled, and blinked.


"They will inform you" she told me, and then walked away. I sat there confused, what is she talking about? Chosen for what? For the rest of the school day, everyone was staring at me including the teachers. It made me uncomfortable, I'm new to this town so I don't know much about it. 


I moved here with my parents a month ago, since then I thought this town was weird. The people are creepy, the buildings are old. I always wondered why they never upgraded the buildings, well the whole town needs to be upgraded. As I walked home, people were staring and smiling big at me. This creeped me out so, I began to walk faster.


When I got to my house, I hurried inside "Mom? Dad?" I called out. I looked around for them but, they weren't there. I tried calling their phones but, they didn't answer. I sighed as I sat on the couch, they can't be at work. They both get off the same time I get out of school, what is going on?


I jumped when I heard a knock on my door, I turned my head and stared at the front door. Another knock came from it, I got up and walked to it. I slowly reached out to the knob, but yet I grabbed it so fast. I opened my door and looked, two women in white were standing there smiling. Their hair in a tight bun, they had no type of makeup on. 


I stared at them, "yes?" I then asked.


"Denise Volts, right?" the lady on the left asked.


"Uh yes....may I hel-" the lady on the right cut me off. 


"You have been chosen" she told me, I stared at her. 


"Chosen for what?" I asked.


Their smile grew bigger, "come with us, and we will show you" the one on the right said. I stared at her, getting a weird vibe from her. 


"Your parents are there waiting" the one on the left told me, this made me turned my head quick in her direction.


"Where?" I asked, I began to walk out the house.


"The old farm" they both answered as they walked in front of me, I looked up at them. 


"Follow us" they said, I followed them to this old and rusted station wagon. One opened the back seat for me, while the other woman walked to the driver side of the car. I got in the back of the car, the woman closed the door and then got in on the passenger side. The other woman then began to drive, I heard about this old farm. Some of the students told me the town throws Halloween parties there.


But why are my parents there? Is there a party? Was I chosen to win something? So many questions were running through my mind, nervousness turned my stomach. When we finally got to the farm, there was a whole bunch of people here. They were surrounding the farm, when they heard us pull up they turned and stared.


I got out the car, and tried to see if I could see my parents. But I couldn't see them, I turned around and looked at the women.


"Where are my parents?" I asked them, they had the same smile on their faces from earlier. 


"In the barn" they both answered, I stared at them.


"They are waiting for you" the one on the left told me. I stared at them a minute longer, I then turned around and began to walk to the barn. As I walked towards the barn, passing the people. I got this uneasy feeling, the people were watching me with smiles stuck on they're faces. As I got close to the doors, two men walked to them and opened them for me.


While I began to walk inside, they said "You Are Lucky, Chosen One".


You are lucky chosen one? Why would they say that? When I was fully inside the barn, they closed the doors. It was then pitch black, I couldn't see anything.


"Mom? Dad?" I called out, but something told me that they were not in here....or here period. All of a sudden the lights turned on, it did not look like a barn in the inside. There was no window or...anything, it just looked like a big room. The walls were a tan pink, the floor a crimson red.


Turning around, I ran to where I entered in. I tried pushing it opened but, it wouldn't.


"HEY! LET ME OUT!" I screamed, I began to panic. I started to bang on the door.


"LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT!" I screamed, you could hear the fear in my voice. What was this? Where are my parents? Why does the inside of this barn look like this?


"We cannot let you out Denise, our husband has chosen you" a woman said outside, husband?


"CHOSEN ME FOR WHAT?" I now cried.


"Chosen to be, my new bride", my body went still. My heart beat accelerated, my eye's widen, fear just rushed my whole body. I slowly turned around, tears were falling from my eye's. I saw the chest of a man in my face, I slowly then moved my eye's up to his face. He had the same smile as the people from outside, curled into his bluish gray lips.


But his teeth were sharp, his eye's were white, his skin very pale. From just looking at his teeth I new, he was not human.


"But first" he then grabbed me by my throat, and lifted me up off the ground.


"You must die" he said, his face then turned gray and he opened his mouth impossibly wide and leaned in towards me.


I screamed, as my face went into his mouth.

October 25, 2019 05:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.