34 comments

Fiction

It's only late summer but the air is cool this morning. The lake, still holding the summer warmth, allows the mist to drift like smoke over its surface, making it look ethereal and enchanted. Soon the sun will burn away the smoke and bring the lake in sharp focus. It won't be long before the trees will change to yellow and gold, russet and red.

The summer people have left. They have closed their cottages and pulled their boats out of the water. Some may return for the odd weekend. Some may return for cross-country skiing; other will bring the grandchildren for Christmas. But for now, the lake is left to the loons. It's one of the main reasons Angie bought the little house. The ever-changing view and the peace most of the year.

She sighs. Today is her eighty-fifth birthday. This one, like so many others, will pass in blessed silence. No cake, not even a cup cake. No candles to blow out. No wishes to make. But should the "Make a Secret Birthday Wish" authority listen to someone who did not blow out a candle, then her wish would be "please make it quick, painless and soon."

Her life has been good, mostly. She has traveled to many places, met lovely people and seen wonderous sights. No, she's never been to Rio during Carnival, but she has danced in the streets many times. No, she has never been to Antarctica, but she has seen the Northern Lights and the Southern Cross. No, she has not faced a charging rhino. But then, who would want to? But she rode an elephant and a camel. She has seen both Egyptian and Mayan pyramids and majestic waterfalls. She has held a koala and played with lion cubs. No, she hasn't seen everything, but she has seen more than most.

She's glad she did her traveling when she was young. Her arthritic spine, her relentlessly collapsing discs, keep her close to home. Angie closes her eyes against the glare of the sun that is peeking above the trees.


^*^*^


"Mom, he's touching me!" The weekly, Sunday afternoon road trip, back when having a car was still new. Dad would take them all over the area, lecturing the whole way about the history, the flora and fauna the special places and sights. The three of them squeezed in the back seat. Squirming, fighting for the best spot, tickling, poking and sticking wet fingers in each other's ears. Till dad yelled at them to be quiet.


^*^*^


The corner of her lips twitch in a half smile. She lets one memory roll into the next as she relaxes deeper in her chair.

^*^*^


Oh, the trials of first grade. Having to learn to write and spell was hard enough. Having to use a pen that needed to be dipped in an inkwell was tricky. But not splattering that ink all over the worksheet when she tried to push the nib with her left hand, proved impossible. Coming home each day with blue hands, wrists and sleeves and getting scolded for not being neat enough, seemed unfair.

But Angie soon solved that problem. She simply turned her worksheet upside down and wrote perfect - sort of - cursive letters upside down. No, of course, she couldn't read what she was writing, but her hands and sleeves were no longer blue. Yeah, they made her write with her right hand in fourth grade. As if that had been an improvement.


^*^*^


She opens her eyes. The sun has risen and is no longer shining in her eyes. The silence is comforting to her. Being tone deaf, music holds no special place. Too many sounds, too many voices, be they music or spoken, become cacophonous and overwhelming. She'd often retreat into her own thoughts and let them run amok or her brain would simply shut down.


^*^*^


"No that's wrong." Mom said from the kitchen. "Is not! And how can you even tell from there?"

Angie was, under protest, practicing piano. It wasn't easy, having to hold one finger next to the small black dot on the page to keep it from dancing away. Then she had to painstakingly count the number of lines and spaces, either up or down, to the next black dot, which would often jump away before she would get there. Once she found it, she had to count to find the dirty-white rectangle on the piano. Then memorize and move on, one at a time. It had taken her half an hour to memorize two lines on the page, three more to go, when mom had said she made a mistake.

"Well, you can hear it, can't you?" Mon was drying her hands on her apron.

"You can?" Angie wondered.

"Yes, of course. Now, show me what you did?"

And once again Angie places her left index finger at the first black dot and slowly, one black dot, one yellowish-white rectangle at a time worked her way through the two lines.

"No. Here you have to play this one." Mom pressed one of the black ones. The ones that were a bit taller than the dirty-white ones.

"Ouch! No, I don't like that." Eleven-year-old Angie was quite sure about that. "That has to be wrong."

"No." And mom sounded equally serios about this. "See here, this little mark means you have to use this one."

"No, it must be written wrong." There was no budging Angie.

Mom huffed. "This is what it sounds like." She made her fingers dance over the sort-of white and that one black rectangle.

"Wow! how long did it take you to memorize that?"

"Memorize? You read it." Mom shrugged.

"Oh, mom." Angie laughed. "They're not words."

She was saved from any further lessons that night, when dad came home, which meant that dinner should be on the table.

Angie never became a piano virtuoso, nor did she learn to read music. One day, when her piano teacher told her that she had to use both hands on the keys at the same time, she said, 'no thank you' and left the lesson.


^*^*^


The sun has reached its peak. It'll be another month before it's low enough to reach all the way to where Angie is sitting. She's comfortable in her chair. Maybe getting a little thirsty. She's feeling a headache brewing, but nothing she can't handle. She distracts herself by looking at the lake. The smokey mist has drifted off. The loons are gathering to discuss when to leave and where to go. It truly has become a brilliant and clear day. Lost in her memories, Angie does not see the one cloud and how it becomes two, then three.


^*^*^


The epic snowman, she smiles her half smile. The snow was thick, wet and heavy that day. Her brother had made a snowball, but there was no enemy to aim for. So, he rolled it like a bocci ball, until it was too big, too heavy to roll on its own. Handing his coat to Angie, he rolled it further and further. With each turn the ball picked up another inch or so of heavy wet snow. Every few turns he'd rotate it, to keep his masterpiece round. Soon is became too big, too massive for him to roll by himself. But there was just too much labor invested to leave it by the side of the road. So, they both pushed and rolled the thing. Luckily their cousin Rolf passed by and stopped. Traffic stopped when they crossed the road. Drivers stuck their heads out of their cars and cheered. More kids came out and rolled more balls and heaved them on top of her brother's creation. That snowman mocked two amateur football teams. It took weeks to melt, while it stood in the middle of the empty lot that had a goal on either end.


^*^*^


She sighs with pleasure at the memory of kids shrieking, yelling and laughing.


^*^*^


There was a large empty space behind the new house. The summer they moved in, every kid in the neighborhood worked hard. They dug holes, made hills, banked curves to scary angles, made gullies to avoid. And when it was finished, they raced over the path with their bikes. Sprained their wrists; gave themselves mild concussions and major knee scrapes. And then did it all again. Till the lots were divided and construction began on the four new houses.


^*^*


She's deep in her memories now and hears the rhythm of dozens of skates scratching in unison over the rough ice.


^*^*^


It seemed as if everybody from school had come. Once the hot chocolate and pea soup was gone, they formed lines. Angie grabbed the tail end of her brother jacket. ducked her head, like everybody else and ... left-slide, right-slide, left- ... Periodically, whoever was in the lead, like ducks flying south, would glide to the back and the next one would set the pace. Even back then, it was rare that the lakes would freeze over enough to make this safe.


^*^*^


She's resting in her Eames. A second-hand, second-generation Eames, but an Eames, nonetheless. The shadows have lengthened. A slight breeze is rippling the water. Clouds have formed. The sun is not quite low enough to tint them, but it won't be long. Sunrise and sunset are her favorite. How many times has she tried and failed to paint either? Only to run out of colors or light before she can capture it. How many rolls of film has she wasted because she didn't have the right filter or film?


After her brother's funeral, too many years ago, his friends, all members of the same gliding club, looked up as they left the crematorium. That's what you do when you are a glider. You look up to check the clouds. The better the clouds, the better the updraft, the longer you can stay up. Which is the whole point of gliding. So, when they looked up, everybody else looked up too. Circling over the crematorium were six or seven gliders from a neighboring club, as if they were showing him the way.


A tear escapes as Angie remembers. She wonders who will show her the way.

Yesterday evening, while she was reading, she had a stroke. The left side of her body is paralyzed, her speech is gone, she can't reach her phone. She can't get out of her chair.

She's alone.

Someone will find her, eventually.

Another pain stabs through her head, as she looks at the sunset. Fire in ... ...

February 17, 2024 07:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Harry Stuart
02:16 Mar 29, 2024

Beautiful, Trudy. It’s the memories that buoy us up, give us the strength and calm to continue. For Angie it’s her path to peace as she makes her exit. The first couple of paragraphs supplant the reader at the lake, right alongside Angie, immersed in the vibrant imagery. She guides us down memory lane, and we revel in her joy and wonder. The memories with her brother are especially poignant. Did your brother know of your pursuit with writing? He would be very proud, I am sure. Thanks for inviting us into Angie’s glimpses of the past. I am ...

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:35 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you. No, my brother didn't know about my stories. It's really a recent thing. Thouhg I've always told myself stories and drew pictures while I was thinking them. But actually putting them out there for others to see, is new. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Layla Duncombe
01:51 Feb 27, 2024

I love the ending!!! Makes me ask 'The what?' :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:05 Feb 27, 2024

The song is Smoke on the water, fire in the sky. :-) Thanks for reading y story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
19:01 Feb 26, 2024

Well written! So melancholy, almost surreal, like an impressionistic end of life painting. A bit sad, but made me think.

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:05 Feb 26, 2024

Thank you. I especially like your description "Impressionistic". High praise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:01 Feb 25, 2024

Beautiful memories of a life well lived. Perhaps not unexpected, but her stroke seems tragic and your ending a powerful one. She is all alone and unlikely to be reached in time. Needless suffering over being left-handed. So unnecessary and something older people talk about a lot. I was left with a sense of where do all those memories go?

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:14 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you, for your wonderful feedback, Helen. Ugh, yes. on that pen in 1st grade. And memories either float away with the smoke on the water or are burned up in the fire in the sky. LOL. Sorry couldn't help myself. hank you for eading my story.

Reply

Helen A Smith
12:17 Feb 25, 2024

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
09:46 Feb 25, 2024

Wow - really moving, and poignant, but so real, with all the flash backs. I liked it.

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:16 Feb 25, 2024

Thanks, John. Heard the song while driving. The lines got stuck. The rest wormed its way in between. :-) And thanks for reading all my other stuff, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
15:31 Feb 22, 2024

I love the memories your character shared with us of her childhood. Sweet and fun. She led a good full life. I enjoyed your story!

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:21 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you, Hanna. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, she seems to have no regrets.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:45 Feb 21, 2024

The title caught my eye, and of course I immediately heard the song's intro :) The story is… I'm going to say deceptive. In a good way. It seems like a bittersweet, but mostly sweet, recollection of a life well lived. Angie knows her end is in sight, and walking down memory lane is how she copes with that, how she makes sense of life. It provokes a thoughtful, melancholic mood, and it's the kind of thing all of us have to look forward to, in one form or another, should we live that long. “One day, when her piano teacher told her that she...

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:55 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you, Michal. Wonderful analysis. Yes, I dropped that little hint. After all she's known all night, that she's not going to make it much past her 85th birthday. And, btw, I actually did walk out of my piano lesson. Naughty girl. But mom got the message. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:47 Feb 20, 2024

Hi Trudy this is beautifully written. It captures the scenes of the memories so that my head could easily conjure a picture. The only thing I didn't like was the fear of encroaching old age - ugh - this is not how I want things to end! Thanks for writing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:03 Feb 20, 2024

Than you, Stevie for you wonderful feedback. Ugh is right. I don't think any of us want to go that way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
19:31 Feb 19, 2024

Wonderful walk down memory lane! each of her memories had other people in it, making a connection with her. It shows how hard it must be for her to be alone. I liked how this line sounds- 'hears the rhythm of dozens of skates scratching in unison over the rough ice.'

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:35 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you, Marty. And yeah, skating like that feels as good as it sounds. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Aziz
13:56 Feb 19, 2024

How melancholy but sweet! Enjoyed this story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:40 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you, Kristina. Right, I think she had a life well spent. AT least she didn't dwell on any negatives, in the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
13:28 Feb 18, 2024

Hello Trudy, I enjoyed your story and your use of flashbacks and memories intercut with the present day. The voyage through the various seasons and the delights they offered gave your piece a very atmospheric flavour and evoked a lifetime of emotions. Without wanting to put a damper on things, there were one or two words misspelled; just minor typos and you’ll spot them when you have another read-through. Having said that, I’d like to highlight your wonderful descriptions and of course the ending. I felt as if I’d got to know and care about...

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:57 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you, Howard. I was actually editing while you were reading. I think I caught (hopefully all) the grammar/spelling errors. I'm glad you could connect with Angie. And am basking in your praise. :-) I've worked with quite a few stroke patients, and yes, the sooner, the better for recovery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:27 Feb 18, 2024

So prompt fitting---sadly...

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:47 Feb 18, 2024

True (the sad part)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:57 Feb 17, 2024

Oh, Trudy ! Another powerful piece from you. I feel so much for Angie. Brilliant use of imagery, as usual. Lovely job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:19 Feb 17, 2024

Thanks, Stella. I'm so glad you liked it. And the piano lesson part is true. (Oh, bad girl) ;-)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:27 Feb 17, 2024

Well, I can relate. I didn't take the piano lessons seriously (and now I regret it, especially now I discovered I can sing). Hahaha!

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:34 Feb 17, 2024

It's never too late. I never regretted it, am just plain tone deaf. oh well,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
08:51 Feb 17, 2024

Such a cinematic piece right to the end where my heart broke for Angie, filled with so much detail and emotion as so many of your pieces are :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
08:58 Feb 17, 2024

Thank you, Claire. Don't feel too bad for her. She enjoyed her life. The going back and forth in time wasn't too confusing? I had already been kicked off line twice. Boo hoo.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
09:47 Feb 17, 2024

No not at all, after the first flashback it was pretty seamless, it helps that the present scene is static, i think if you have a lot of action going on in the past and present it gets a bit much but this had a lovely rhythm!

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:15 Feb 17, 2024

Wonderful. Great feedback Just curios, what time zone are you in? It's 5am here and I've been up all night.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
11:03 Feb 17, 2024

Proper night owl! I’m in London so a fairly palatable Saturday morning!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.