Contest #141 shortlist ⭐️

92 comments

Speculative Fiction Funny

This story contains sensitive content

C/W: drug use, swearing


It all started when the illustrious Cassiopeia Café ran out of ketamine. My girlfriend, Tabitha and I were enjoying a day off together. We’d been shopping in the city, mostly at Kenzo, Gucci and 3D Warehouse, ordering an obscene amount of clothing to be delivered to our respective homes, before deciding to take a break on the café’s beautiful terrace.

It was mid-afternoon and sunny, a good time of day to be seen in Cassiopeia. Tabitha, being an online fashionista personality, knew such things in the same way I knew the marketing strategy behind every advert, slogan and by-line that flitted across our phone screens.

“What will you have?” she asked, placing one perfectly manicured hand on her hip. She turned her body; every move a deliberate pose.

“Not sure,” I said. My gaze wandered over the gleaming white cups, glassware and the coffee machine itself. In the transparent grinder, dark-chocolate beans hopped rhythmically, almost in time to the electro-punk background music. My mother always talked about how loud the grinders used to be, but she must have been exaggerating.

Tabitha waved her phone in front of the display counter and inspected the results as we moved forwards in the queue. I did the same; verifying MyNutrition for my narcotic allowance and dietary recommendations.

“I think I’ll have a warp-speed espresso and an opiate muffin,” she said.

I nodded, unsurprised by her ridiculous choice. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to either be stimulated or calmed, not some bizarre mixture of the two. And right then, I needed the latter.

Why?

Because everything was getting to me: the enforced serenity on my own face, the too-quiet peace of the clothing stores we had visited, the languid body language of every single person in the café, Tabitha’s tinkling laugh (that I’d listened to her practice in the bathroom, no doubt throwing her head back just so, analysing the precise angle that made her pearlescent teeth catch the light), even the luscious wide-fronded green plants bothered me (fake, obviously, just like everything else).

“OMG!” Tabitha whispered. “It’s Jasmin Seluscha!”

“Who?” I glanced in the direction she was indicating and—

“Don’t look!”

“Why? Who is she?”

“Jasmin. Seluscha.” Her gold-flecked green eyes burrowed into mine. “She’s a really well-known reporter, Joshua. Started out in Whooz Dat? Got headhunted by Real People? First person to interview Axley Holt?”

I feigned realisation. “Oh! Her!”

Studying said woman in the mirrored glass to the left of the counter, I realised that I did recognise her. Angular features, shaggy blond hair, light-blue eyes. She oozed intelligence in a way that made me nervous and excited just being near her.

Everyone had seen the interview with Axley Holt: Hollywood’s hottest omnigendered pansexual star. I liked them, their portrayal of Miley Cyrus in a dramatization of their life was sublime. And Jasmin Seluscha had done a great job probing Axley about their childhood, political opinions and sex-life without offending them. I was particularly intrigued that Axley shared my disillusionment over materialism and the societal indifference to drug use that decades of legalisation had spawned. She was an excellent reporter.

“Do you think I’ll ever get interviewed by her?” Tabitha asked wistfully.

Uh oh, danger.

This question - or more specifically my response – held potential to ruin the entire day. My muscles flexed beneath my 3D-print Armani casual city wear; the neck feeling tighter than it had that morning. Sweat would soon break out along the rivets of my spine, staining the inside lining of my jacket. The odour inexorably finding passage out into the open.

“If not,” I said, “it’ll be her loss.”

Tabitha smiled demurely and my insides relaxed. Her relentless perfection was grating on the inside of my skull, though I did my best to ignore it. After all, I needed her. I’d never have managed to achieve five-star customer status without her help, opening doors to all the best bars and restaurants in the city. Private clubs that only employed and served five-star citizens. Without her by association, I wouldn’t even have met my current employer.

A vein throbbed in my forehead, just above the right eye socket.

“Good afternoon.” A spotted youth behind the counter was smiling at us. His name badge said Thom. He looked about five. “What would you like?”

Tabitha made her order and stepped aside, smiling, checking her reflection in the cake-display glass. Or was she angling to see if the reporter was looking in her direction?

Did I care?

I made my order. “A decaf keta-cappuccino with potato milk, please.”

“Oh, uh,” Thom said, his eyes glazed over for a second. “I’m sorry, but I think we’re out of ketamine.”

“You ‘think’?” I couldn’t keep the irritation from my voice. Tabitha’s hand slipped into mine, squeezed. “Sorry,” I said quickly. “But could you check? Please?”

“Of course. I uh I’ll check.”

He darted off and Tabitha leant in close. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah. I’ll be fine.”

“This is my favourite coffee house, Joshua.”

I nodded, clenched my buttocks, smoothed the lines of my face into a mask of contentedness.

While Thom disappeared to verify what he should have already known, I pondered the last time I’d had a straight coffee. I couldn’t remember. Had I ever?

The youth was back.

“Hey uh I’m sorry but I couldn’t find it. Pretty sure we’ve run out. I can still do you a decaf potato milk cappuccino… and you could have uh cannabis-sprinkles instead? They’re very popular.”

I couldn’t believe it. Sprinkles?

“Look, Thom.” Even I heard the appalling tone of my voice, but it was already too late. “‘Pretty sure’ isn’t good enough. You either have it or you don’t.”

The bones of my knuckles ground together beneath Tabitha’s grasp. I ignored her.

“I uh—”

I raised my voice the tiniest bit. “You either have it… Or. You. Don’t.”

That was when I realised everyone within a four-meter radius had stopped talking. The jaunty music bopped along and saucers clinked, but the hubbub of voices had subsided. A woman of about my mother’s age with a suitably grave expression suddenly appeared by the boy’s right shoulder, her white hair poofed out in a flawless halo, radiating authority.

“Is there a problem here?” she asked, brown eyes wide with concern. “My name’s Abi, I’m the manager. May I help?”

“Thank you, Abi,” I said, slow, calm. “I would like a keta-cappuccino and this… young man… doesn’t know whether or not you have any.”

Thom turned to his boss. “I said we didn’t have—”

I opened my mouth to argue but Abi beat me to it. Her voice pacifying as she addressed me. “I’m afraid he is right. We don’t have it, sir.”

Thom smiled at me – a vicious twitch of the lips - and I imagined what it might feel like to punch him in the face.

Abi continued, “As I believe my colleague here suggested, we do have cannabis-sprinkles. Or, if that’s not to your taste, we have the more traditional chamomile tea, which is very relaxing.” Her gaze took on a ponderous quality that I did not appreciate. “We also have opiate muffins.”

“Oh, those are so lovely!” Tabitha chimed in, earning herself a sympathetic smile from Abi, whose warmth evaporated when she turned back to me. “What would you like?”

I forgave her the chamomile tea slur, but only because she reminded me of my mother. “I’ll have the cannabis-sprinkles and an opiate muffin, please.”

“Blueberry?” Thom asked, his shit-eating grin getting wider by the second.

“Yes,” I said. I paid and hesitated by the counter, Tabitha was already threading her way out to the terrace, but damage control was definitely required. A little desperate, I said, “I’m sorry if I was a little short with you there, Thom.”

“S’alright,” he said. “Enjoy your coffee.”

“Thank you very much.”

I found Tabitha in the shade of an artificial paradise palm tree, index finger flicking over her phone. Once I’d sat down, she sighed. “We need to talk.”

“I know, I know. I’ve been feeling a bit tense lately and work is—”

“A bit tense.” She made the words sound like individual slaps. “That,” she said, lifting her chin towards the counter, “was unacceptable.”

The drinks arrived, brought by a bubbly red-haired girl dressed in the café’s black star-studded uniform. I reached out to take the tray and knocked her off-balance. Half my cappuccino slopped over the edge and slid down to pool in the saucer. The waitress gasped, apologised, asked if I wanted another one. I said no and waved her away. Tabitha’s green eyes flashed. “What?”

“I can’t do this anymore.”

“You’re not dumping me, are you?” I almost laughed, but then stopped. She stared, silent. “Are you?” I repeated.

“Don’t get me wrong, Joshua. It’s been great, but—”

“Hang on, we’ve been together three years. We’re a good couple, everyone thinks so.”

“LifeCoach says that if I want to get anywhere professionally, I need to take everything seriously. And that includes my love-life.”

“You’re breaking up with me because LifeCoach told you to?”

“It’s more than that. We’re not moving forward.”

“I seem to remember asking you to move in with me, but you didn’t want to.”

She clicked her tongue. “You’re bad at your job. Don’t look at me like that. You are. I got you that job, introduced you to the right people and I mean, you’re supposed to be a marketing executive, current social trends… and you don’t even know who Jasmin Seluscha is! It’s embarrassing. What story is top of your news feed? Hm?”

“What does it matter—”

“I bet it’s job adverts. Personality tests. Articles about how to land your dream career. Well? Am I warm?”

Hardly, the arctic had nothing on her. “OK, I admit I’m not in love with my job. It’s not a crime.” I leant forward, put my elbows on the table. “Do you ever think sometimes that what we do is a little… superfluous?”

“No.”

“Well, I’ve been thinking that when I’m old and looking back on my life, I want to feel like I’ve accomplished something worthwhile, you know, like I’ve made a difference.”

“You’ve been reading poetry again.”

“Also not a crime.” 

“You’re an emotion junkie,” she said. “And I can’t deal with it anymore. I’ve decided that I’m only going to associate with and date five-stars.”

“I am five-star.”

Tabitha rolled her eyes and held up her phone so the screen faced me. My profile was there. Joshua Hopper, 32, Customer Rating: 3.9

I shook my head. “There must be some mistake. It was 5.2 this morning.”

“Scroll down,” she said.

The screen began moving, displaying my most recent ratings. My mouth dried up. Three stars, another three, two (that was 3D Warehouse, they must have heard me commenting on their shipping fee) and finally, the nail in my ratings:

Cassiopeia Café gives Joshua Hopper - 1 star

Condescending, rude and borderline menacing #onestar #bekind #badratings

“One star?” I said it out loud, making Tabitha suck air through her teeth. “Come on. That isn’t fair… and how did you know so fast? Do you check my profile every five seconds?”

“I am a professional. I get alerted if any of my contacts fall below 4 star-status.”

She leant back, sipped her coffee and tapped her metallic nails upon the porcelain. The noise drummed directly into my brain. The surrounding tables had gone conspicuously quiet and the spot between my shoulder blades itched.

“This isn’t fair,” I said again.

Tabitha shrugged. “You could appeal, but plenty of people saw it.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

The waitress reappeared and deposited a small slice of golden cake with white icing in front of Tabitha, who slid it towards me. “Here,” she said. “Lemon drizzle with Prozac-infused icing. I’ve been told it takes the edge off rejection.”

I stared, fury boiling in my gut as Tabitha gazed up at the blue sky, the surrounding plant life, her coffee cup. She took another sip and still didn’t meet my eyes. I slammed my open palm on the table, making the saucers jump. She froze, eyes wide, the trace of a smile on her lips.

An enormous shadow fell over me. The darkness belonged to the doorman, his hand was up by his ear, triggering some alert that would put me on facial recognition for sure. “Sir. How are we doing today?”

“I’m good, thank you.”

“Excellent. I’m afraid that I’m going to have to ask you to leave. This way, please.”

I admired him his demeanour which was affable and sincerely apologetic. He was accustomed to getting rid of people, politely, without making a scene that would disrupt the beautiful ambiance of Cassiopeia Café.

“Of course,” I said, standing up.

I downed the coffee, gasping as it burnt my oesophagus, grabbed my opiate muffin - left the offensive lemon cake - and departed with an unexpected lightness in my step.

For the seed of an idea was already fulminating in my mind.

***

Over the following twelve months, the idea grew, sprouting hashtags and followers and media coverage at an exponential rate. It was near impossible for me to keep track of everything. Not that I tried very hard.

#onestar

#whocaresnotme

Article from the fourth page of Where Monthly: Controversial Supernova Café opens and for those who’ve been living under a rock, its USP is that it doesn’t rate its customers. At all. Critics give it three months.

Headline from The Star - “Who is Joshua Hopper and why should we care?”

Two months later, a paparazzi image of Axley Holt leaving Infinity Beyond with one arm slung over my shoulders threatened to break the internet.

I gave no comment.

Headline from Pentagonal News’ business column – “Supernova Café’s Joshua Hopper: Pioneer of a new sub-culture or deranged emotion junkie?”

#emotionjunkie

#joshuahopper

#badmood

Front Page of Real People – A monochrome photo of Mr. Hopper, delivering his trademark brooding stare. Full article on page 7.

Excerpt from said article:

Supernova Café, famously frequented by Axley Holt, solely employs one- and two-star citizens. Giving them a place to call home within society and in some cases, enabling them to achieve higher star statuses later in life. Former employees have described Mr. Hopper as benevolent, kind and in more than one case, their saviour.

Mr. Hopper #smileifyouwantto #badmood #whocaresnotme, recently nominated as the Sexiest Man Alive by Whooz Dat magazine, talks to Real People. Jasmin Seluscha has the exclusive. 

“Mr. Hopper, you’re quite the oxymoron, instigator of #whocaresnotme and yet, you have a five-star rating.”

“Oh yes, but I’m sure most of those votes were made ironically.”

“Perhaps. So, do I have to be in a bad mood to visit Supernova Café?”

“No, not at all. My ethos is that you don’t have to pretend. We won’t rate you. You won’t get a one star from us because you weren’t smiling.”

“Doesn’t that encourage people to be unpleasant?”

“It happens, but less than you’d think. Most people get it. It’s a safe place. Wouldn’t you like to be able to go out for a drink or a meal without worrying about how you’ll be scored?”

“I can see the attraction. It is all about appearances these days.”

“Isn’t it always?”

“I have to ask. Is it true you have ‘anger-management cubicles’ complete with punching bags behind tinted glass?”

“You’ll have to come and see for yourself.”

“I may just do that.”

“Wonderful.”

“Do you think your friendship with Axley Holt has helped your business?”

“Undoubtedly, Axley has been very supportive. They share my view of the star system.”

“Which is?”

“That it should be abolished. We are nuanced, complicated individuals. I am much happier since I stopped paying attention to it.”

“And is there a romantic connection between yourself and Axley? It is one of our most frequently asked questions.”

“And I believe the most frequently asked question is whether or not that is an engagement ring in your left ear, Miss Seluscha.”

“I am interviewing you, Mr. Hopper.”

“Sorry, couldn’t resist. To answer your question, I don’t disclose my romantic relationships online.”

“But you do have relationships?”

“Oh yes, but I am… uh, how can I put this… romantically offline. No photos, no ratings. Only reality.”

“Fascinating.”

#onlyreality

#hotforhopper

#romanticallyoffline

***

It was exactly two days after the interview came out in Real People that Tabitha graced Supernova Café with her presence. I couldn’t quite believe she was on my dating history; she was so glossy. All her ex-partners had given her at least a four (I tried to give her a two, but she had it removed twenty seconds later).

“Good afternoon. What a pleasant surprise,” I said, not entirely sure if I meant it. “What can I get you?”

“Joshua.” She looked appraisingly at me. “You’re doing very well for yourself.”

“If you say so.”

“Jasmin Seluscha gave you five stars. Five! You’re front page of Whooz Dat. And you’re a hashtag.”

“Oh,” I said. “You saw that did you.”

“You’ve really changed it around.” She considered me for a moment with those cat’s eyes of hers, calculating. How did I ever find this woman attractive? “I’m impressed,” she continued. “Our relationship will now be beneficial to both of us.”

I coughed. “Our relationship?”

“Yes, as long as you behave, obviously. I’ll allow it.”

“Tabitha,” I said. “Don’t get me wrong, but you’re not my type anymore.”

She laughed, a mirthless practiced falsetto, but then she saw my face and stopped. “You’re not serious.”

“Actually, I am. Now, what would you like? Warp-speed espresso was your thing, wasn’t it?”

She spluttered, incomprehensibly. “You’re turning me down?”

“I’m afraid so.” I gave her my finest sympathetic look and gestured towards the cake stand. “May I suggest a slice of Prozac-infused lemon drizzle? It can really take the edge off… or so I’ve been told.”

 

April 13, 2022 08:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

Shea West
14:43 Apr 22, 2022

Congrats on your shortlist my friend! You're having a banner week <3

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
15:01 Apr 22, 2022

So pleased! Woo hoo me 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
02:40 Apr 22, 2022

Nicely done. It reminds me of “Idiocracy” in the way it mocks the silliness of the whole “Star” culture. I especially like how he rebels against the system, and in ignoring it, he overcomes it. He emerges victorious and has a delicious retort to the one who snubbed him. I will read more of your work, and will no doubt enjoy it. Would love it if you could read some of mine and offer your thoughts/feelings.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
06:37 Apr 22, 2022

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. I will definitely pop over and read something of yours soon 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
21:10 Apr 21, 2022

This is really great very creative and well written, its funny but also is a great reflection of the image people try and present for social media Its a scenario which seems entirely possible to be happening in the near future! I also really enjoyed how you described the veneer of perfection to everything and how he starts to push back against it. Really loved the ending too!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
22:17 Apr 21, 2022

Thank you for the lovely comment! I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
16:45 Apr 21, 2022

Oh this is simply glorious! It took me a bit to realize that the drug use warning was because it's in the cafe menu items.. But nonetheless it's a wonderful story! I've always enjoyed reading stories where drugs, fantasy or real ones, are the norm in a society. Your use of the prompt worked fantastic with this too. I definitely think this should win- or at least get shortlisted.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
17:47 Apr 21, 2022

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm very pleased you enjoyed reading! Always best to play it safe with content warnings, I think. Just in case. Cheers 🙂

Reply

Crows_ Garden
18:06 Apr 21, 2022

Of course! Authors knowing what people think of their work is always good. It really is. Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:28 Apr 21, 2022

Hi Rachel, wow, you really nailed this one! The humor was great and I really liked it. You write with such an elegant grace in so many different genres it's no wonder why you're one of the best!! I loved this story and I'm looking forward to your next one! Oh... congrats on your 40th story, way to go!!! :)

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
07:33 Apr 21, 2022

Thanks, Daniel! Pleased you liked it. Yey, 40 stories! I'm going to treat myself 😊

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
07:34 Apr 21, 2022

Oh and well done on your 71 stories too! 👏

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:34 Apr 21, 2022

Thanks, Rachel! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
01:48 Apr 19, 2022

“Lemon drizzle with Prozac-infused icing. I’ve been told it takes the edge off rejection.” 😂😂😂oh so good! This is loads of fun and so hilarious! Love the ending and all the creative food/drug combos. Fantastic in so many ways. 😻

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
08:55 Apr 19, 2022

Thanks, Sharon! Glad you enjoyed reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
00:03 Apr 19, 2022

Hello Rachel, I loved your story and its wonderful sense of fun. The descriptions you employed created a vivid picture in my mind of a narcissistic nightmare world. The scary thing to me is that we’re probably not that far away from it being a near-future reality. The whole concept was marvellously conceived and expertly handled. Well done. I look forward to reading your future submissions. HH

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
08:56 Apr 19, 2022

Thanks, Howard, I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frank Adams
17:45 Apr 18, 2022

Had a little understanding some but I still liked it I did, realize they were robots Alex life coach Joshua Was human with emotional bagged

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
20:02 Apr 18, 2022

Hello, glad you liked it. To clear up, there are no robots. LifeCoach is an app on Tabitha's phone, but she does refer to it like it's a person.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
13:15 Apr 18, 2022

On the recommended list this week Rachel😍😍😍

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:18 Apr 18, 2022

Really? That's cool. Woo hoo! 🙂

Reply

Shea West
14:31 Apr 18, 2022

It's a great story, fingers crossed for a shortlist for ya!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:50 Apr 18, 2022

Thanks! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristina Raynor
01:05 Apr 18, 2022

Loved the whole thing, top to bottom. Your world is easy to immerse myself in immediately, and both Joshua and Tabitha are well fleshed out. I really enjoyed that you gave Joshua a reason to put up with stuff that was bothering him at first. Everything flowed really well, made sense, and the ending was marvelous.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
11:18 Apr 18, 2022

Thank you for the lovely comments! I really appreciate it. Very helpful to hear what you liked about it too. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Raynor
00:31 Apr 18, 2022

I haven't read more that the first line, but I had to come down and comment right away to say how perfect your first line is. I love it. Not only is it a magnificent hook, the choice of ketamine is interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Konde
19:29 Apr 16, 2022

Great read! I really appreciate the social commentary.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
08:38 Apr 17, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:56 Apr 15, 2022

Hi Rachel, I love this. Witty, voicey, observational. This is possibly where society is actually heading, and that's both funny and terrifying. I love that you've addressed both the prompt and the theme with this. I usually have a lot of notes when I read with the intention of offering crit, but honestly, I've got nothing. I love the use of hash tags. They actually made me laugh. I could learn a lot from you. Thank you for the read. Thank you also for your insight into my latest story, much appreciated. Katharine

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:18 Apr 15, 2022

Wow thanks, Katharine. I'm flattered and pleased you enjoyed my story. Looking forward to reading your next one 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
22:21 Apr 14, 2022

Rachel, This is WILD! I loved all of the references to drugs... all of them perfect for this dystopian-esque world you've created. It is so relevant now as well, with so much pressure on social media and the perfectly curated images we portray online. You ended it so nicely with that slap on the face with prozac lemon cake. I'd totally take a slice of that :) Well-done!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:20 Apr 15, 2022

Haha thanks! Yes, when I thought of the end, I laughed. Total face slap. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:39 Apr 14, 2022

Fantastic! And horrifying. I like it! It hits that lovely note between familiar and unsettling that makes speculative fiction so fun. I think the key for these kinds of stories working is that everything is presented as completely normal for the characters – because of course for them, this *is* normal. You get this across well, avoiding needless exposition. And then, Joshua's struggle makes sense to us, because that's the link to our "normal" reality. It all comes across organically, and I love that "emotion junkie" is a slur. Heh, as i...

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:24 Apr 15, 2022

Hey Michal, thanks a lot. I appreciate the time you took to comment and I'm pleased some of the deeper points came through the absurd spin. It was fun building this version of reality, the hashtags amused me no end, as you can probably tell.

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:07 Apr 22, 2022

Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
06:22 Apr 23, 2022

Thanks, Michael!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
20:13 Aug 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
06:16 Aug 26, 2022

Oh thank you for the lovely comment. It's a personal favourite.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:55 Apr 22, 2022

Congratulations on the shortlist! I knew this was good!!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
16:02 Apr 22, 2022

Cheers, you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.