0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

Minnie carefully removed the family cookbook from the cupboard. It was worn and over expanded with dozens of loose pieces of paper tucked into the pages. Every generation, a Glasson would test the newer recipes on family dinners to deem them worthy of becoming a permanent addition to family history.

   She knew exactly the recipes she needed. The Summer Solstice menu was near the front of the book. 

   Today she would gather and prepare the ingredients. She would chop, grind, and par-bake as many items as she could, so tomorrow would be a day of thoughtful cooking and baking. Today, she would send her younger sister, Alowen, to the grocer with a precise list.

   Alowen typically woke late in the summer. No classes at University. Wen was home for break. One less thing for Minnie to worry over, having her sister home. Wen had just broken up with her girlfriend, and she was clearly distraught. Minnie suspected Wen wanted more than Lis could give her. As of now, Alowen was keeping the details of their break up to herself.

   Minnie finished the list and proceeded to organize the counters and the refrigerator. Room would be needed. Even though this year's solstice gathering would be smaller than normal, she would not skimp on the traditional menu. Great Grandmother Ellen would expect nothing less.

   Minnie had begun learning how to cook these recipes when she was a young girl. She had helped Gran in the kitchen for as long as she could remember. About fifteen years ago, Gran had become more of an observer and teacher to Minnie and less head chef. Six years ago, Minnie had taken on the full responsibility. Gran could no longer stand for long periods of time and she had become increasingly forgetful. Minnie allowed herself to think of how cruel time could be. "It gives and it takes," she thought.

   After their mother died, the sisters relied solely on their gran for guidance and instilling the family traditions. Minnie was barely an adult when their mother had passed. She was happy to raise Alowen, barely a teenager at the time, and forgo life at University for her little sister. Minnie only occasionally thought of the life she might have had, especially now that she made regular trips into London to see her boyfriend, James.

   Taken from her thoughts by the sound of Alowen shuffling into the kitchen, Minnie filled the kettle with water. "Cuppa? Biscuit and fruit?"

   "Mmmm, yeah please." Wen looked a proper wreck.

   "Were you out last night?" Minnie placed a glass of water in front of her obviously hungover sister.

   "Oh, yeah. Basically on the town tour of drinking to forget. My god you run out of pubs quickly here. I never realize how small this town really is until I come home for break." Wen gulped the entire glass of water in one breath.

   "You look poorly." Minnie poured tea in a cup for Wen and handed her a plate of biscuits and fruit. "I'll take Gran her soup."

   "No, no. I can go." Wen mumbled with a mouthful of biscuit.

   Winnie held up her hand. "No. I'll go. You hydrate and soak up the alcohol, then head to the grocer. I'd like to get a jump on things this year."

   Wen gave Minnie a thumbs up. "Yeah, let's not repeat Winter

Solstice. Oof."

   Winter Solstice was a blur to Winnie. Too many people attended, ex-loves, current loves, distant family no one ever spoke to, and their cousin Wes was so smashed, he nearly caught ablaze wobbling into the bonfire. And, as her gran would no doubt remind her, they did not have enough food for the uninvited guests. The biggest sin of all sins. Better too much than not enough.

   "Here's the list, Alowen. Alowen."

   "Yep. I'm up. I'm good. I'll just shower." Wen drank her tea and grabbed the list. "Good luck with gran," she said with a smirk.

   "The cheek." But Minnie knew she would need her sister's luck.

   Minnie quickly walked the 300 yards to Gran's house, container of soup in hand. She let herself inside to find her grandmother at the table, skillfully arranging fresh cut flowers into several bunches. Gran trimmed, arranged, and tied red ribbon around beautiful arrangements that would wait in water until the gathering.

   "Hungry Gran?" Minnie asked as she entered the kitchen to heat an early lunch.

   "Thanks love. Been to the grocer, have you?"

   "I sent Alowen. Plenty of food this year, Gran. Not to worry." Minnie avoided her gran's judging gaze as she cleared space in her overcrowded kitchen. She could feel her great grandmother's eyes boring into her back.

   "Minerva, you'd be wise to disinvite that wicked man to our dinner." Great Grandmother had very specific ideas on whom her grandchildren should marry. Minnie and James had been dating for two years and her great grandmother had yet to acknowledge that a London musician could be a faithful husband and father, let alone a worthy addition to the Glasson family.

   "I'd rather not Gran," Minnie warmed her homemade soup for her great grandmother.

   "He's not really the settling down type though, is he Minerva?"

   "Clearly he is Gran, or we would not have lasted this long." She knew her great grandmother wanted one of the remaining great grandchildren to be married with children before she passed.

   Not willing to resign, but willing to postpone the conversation, Gran spoke with finality. "Quit fussing over me. You'll need to get back to your prepping. Tomorrow is an important day Minnie, an important meal." Gran was not so subtly referring to not only tomorrow's Summer Solstice dinner, but also the disaster that was Winter Solstice.

   Minnie pushed aside the floral arrangements and gave Gran her soup. She kissed her on the head and let herself out. Minnie couldn't let her grandmother get under her skin. She understood her grandmother's need to see the family continue to grow, especially since it had very recently grown so small.

   At home, Minnie received the groceries from Wen. She proceeded to prepare the ingredients for tomorrows traditional Glasson family Summer Solstice meal. She cherished the ceremonial aspect of reading the aged recipe cards and creating the meal her ancestors also created. Chopping each vegetable was stress relieving. Kneading each loaf was a connection to her past. Rolling pie crust was a true nod of respect to her great grandmother who taught her each intended step. In the morning, Minnie would bake the loaves of bread, roast vegetables and bake both sweet and savory pies to fuel her loved ones. She knew her part in this centuries old ritual was important yet small in the master plan of life. The past and present interwoven in every detail of tradition.

July 01, 2021 15:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.