the one who would not get away

Submitted into Contest #32 in response to: Write a story that includes characters who are aware they are a work of fiction.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

“Look bob, I know times have been rough, with your mother dying and all, but that does not excuse you from your late payment.” 


“You know I don’t have the money. I need more time.” Bob looked more and more frightened at the fact the he may die today.


“The boss is not going to be pleased.”


“Look, I have a way to get the money, but it involves some blood.”


“Don’t say stuff like that, the readers are listening.”


“I don’t care if they hear or not.”


“Ok, but whatever you are going to do, do it.”


Little did these 2 know, they were not alone in that house. While the 2 men were talking, they heard footsteps from the entrance. 


“Who’s there? Bob, were you followed?” 


“Last time I checked, I only brought myself here.” 


They exited the building and saw Stacy running towards her car.


“Don’t just stand there, shoot her.”


Bob was hesitating when he was handed the gun. He pointed and in a second, she was gone. Bob broke down and started to sob.


“I’m sorry bob, it had to be done. If she were to tell other people, we would be done for. Now, about that money.”






Chapter 2: 

It had been a day like any other. Me and my wife were relaxing at the country club pool with a drink in hand. It had been 4 years since I retired from the Department. Since then, I had tried to get all the gruesome images out of my head. 


“I’ll get us some more drinks.” 


“Okay honey.”


Sally has been with me since my first day. She was the one that pushed me through all the gore and all the death that I have experienced in my time with the Department. She was the one that gave me a good reason to go home after work. After I retired, I decided to move sally and I out to san diego to get away from all the crime in arizona. 


I went into the bar and ordered sally and me more drinks. While I was waiting, I looked up at the TV to see what they were playing.


“Breaking news, A body was discovered in a dumpster near the I-8 freeway. There there are still no witnesses and police are still investigating.” 


In that 10 seconds that the story was being played in the tv, I started to have flashbacks. Flashbacks from when I was investigating murders. Flashbacks of when I was writing down reports and flashbacks of when I was bringing justice to the families. I ran back to sally and grabbed all our stuff.


“John, what are you doing?” Sally said with a confused look on her face.


“Don’t ask questions, just get in the car and start driving home.”


“Why? What has gotten into you?” 


“I’ll explain later, just get in the car.” I said rushing to get all our stuff and shoving them in the trunk of the car.


The car ride home was full of questions from sally. 


When we got home, I rushed to our room, grabbed a suitcase, and started to pack clothes. It was as if my body had a mind of its own. I was grabbing suits, shirts, and shoes. Then I stopped and thought of a second. What am I doing? Why am I worrying so much about this? I’m retired. This isn’t my job anymore. 

“John, we’re home, now explain.” she said with anger in her voice.


“When I went into the bar, I was looking at the tv.” 


“And, so?” 


“The news was on and it was talking about a girl who had been murdered and put into a dumpster.”


“Oh my. How horrible, but that doesn’t give you a reason to bring us back home, and is that a suitcase? Where are you going?”


“When I saw that story, I started to feel like I was back at the department, back to solving cases.” I started to feel like sobbing.


“John, that’s not your job anymore.” 


“The family must be devastated” I said, “I want to do this case.”


“If you want to do it, be my guest, but if they don’t let you, that’s not my problem.”


I grabbed my suitcase, grabbed my car keys, and drove to Phoenix. 


As I was driving, I grabbed my phone and called up chuck. Chuck was my former partner and is still working at the Department. 


“Phoenix department, how may I help you” said Chuck, restating the phone lines.


“Hey chuck, it’s john.” I said


“John, dude, it's been too long.”


“I know, look, about that murder that just happened, im in”


“What? You know you’re retired, right?”


“Yes, but I just had a feeling. I need to do this case.”


“Ok. but we need to do this without the department knowing. It’s illegal.”


“Ok, do whatever you need to do, but we need to do this case.”



Ch. 3


I arrived at the spot where I told Chuck to meet me. I entered the cafe and saw Chuck sitting in the corner with his laptop. I sat next to him and we started to go over the case.


“What I know so far, the victim was shot twice in the chest and once on the leg. She was about 27 years old and was living in yuma.”


“Okay, do we know why she was in phoenix?” I said.


“No, it looks like she was just here by sheer coincidence.” 


“But one does not simply just go to phoenix, she had to have had a reason to be here.”


“Look bro, what we’re doing right now is super illegal.”


“Yes I know, but you know I was the best detective in our department. If you just let them investigate this murder, no justice will be given. It will remain unsolved.”


“You’re right. Is this going to be your last case?” chuck asked 


“I guess it is. I just want to catch the person who did this. Out of my 15 years with the department, I never had an unsolved case.”


“One last time.” chuck said


“One last time.” I said in response. 


We walked out into what will be my last case.





 



March 13, 2020 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.