(Series: Escape) Escape Pt. 1

Written in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “It’s not fair.”... view prompt

16 comments

Fiction Horror Suspense

This story contains sensitive content

Content Warning: Contains mentions of mental health issues and Gorey images :D


~~Authors Note: This story is a part of a 5 part series. ~~


There's nothing you can do without pain. Love, friendships, gambling, story plots... and change. - Author


I'd tell you that there's something worth doing to change the outcome of future events but... I'd be lying. I never would have thought that a book would have changed my life.

I'm Jackson and I'm not the greatest person in the world. I've been trying to change, but that's harder than you think. My mental health has been in a rut, I hate people, and I can't stand it when someone tells me to talk or speak up, or something along those lines. Sounds typical, but I don't care.

There's hardly been anything I've cared about in years.

My father left when I was a child, and I can still remember the day. I hate remembering it, but it's hard not to when I thought he was the greatest, most fantastic person in the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey bud," my dad started to say.

"Huh?" I said, looking up at him from my pile of toys and bricks I was stacking on top of each other.

He knelt down next to me and looked me in the eye, "I'm going out for a bit, okay?"

"You're... leaving?" I asked, trying not to cry.

"Yeah, I am. For a little bit, okay?"

"Where are you going, papa?" my little 6-year-old self asked.

"I'm going to a friend's house," he said while slowly standing up.

"Oh, okay... Can I go with you?"

"Not this time, bud."

"Why not?"

He didn't respond. He just walked towards the front door.

"Ricky!" called my mother, "You leave this house, you might as well be dead to us!" she yelled from the banister above the stairs.

"I was already dead to you, Maria! Better yet, I was never worth your time!" And he left the house.

All I could do was stare. I was too in shock to believe that my father thought he wasn't worth my time. My time. His only child and son.

That was the last time I ever saw him. I knew I heard arguing before he came downstairs to the living room, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I was too busy trying to make the tallest stack of bricks and get my mind off of the fact they were fighting again.

I knew he was an alcoholic and my mother wasn't ever home. When she is, both my parents fight for hours.

That's beside the point. He's the reason I don't trust people. He told me he'd be gone for a little bit, and he never came back... it's been 10 years and he's still not back.

Might as well be dead, is the only thing I think about him now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout this time, I've been walking around a library, in search of a new book to help me escape reality. Reality is stupid and the only thing I can do is read to get my mind off the fact I'm not okay and I'm never asking for help.

I grabbed a random book from the Fantasy section and opened it.

"Looking for an escape, hey?"

I looked around and saw a woman looking at me.

"What?" I asked her.

She pointed at my book. Escape. "I know what that book is about. I've used it myself, if you'd like to know how it ends, I'll let you know," she told me, looking very much like a sales-person trying to sell me furniture.

"I don't know what you're talking about, and I don't want to know. I just want to read a book."

"Hm," she put her hands on her hips, "Alright. Just remember that nothing in there is real."

I scoffed at her and walked away to check out the book.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Once I got home, I didn't hear or see my mother so I figured she was at work again. Probably working overtime.

I sat down on the couch and opened my book to start reading.

Until I realized that the book was empty.

"What the hell?!" I exclaimed, dropping the book to the floor.

"Watch your language, young man," came a familiar voice from behind.

I slowly turned around... just to see my father standing behind the couch.

"D-Dad?" I managed to say, "When'd you get here?"

"I've always been here, son."

"No... you left 10 years ago... what're you talking about?"

"I don't know what you mean, are you okay?"

"Darling! Dinners ready!" called my mothers voice from the kitchen.

"Be there in a moment, dearest!" called my dad back to the kitchen.

What...?

"I don't know what's going on with you lately, son, but you're acting strange," said my father, turning away to walk to the kitchen.

I followed, to see him fade out and fade back in, in the kitchen kissing my mother, who was wearing a 60s housewife outfit.

"I love you, Maria," he said.

"I love you too, Ricky," she said with a look on her face of pure lust,

"Wha-." I was so confused, I didn't know what to say.

"Oh hey, son!" said my mother, walking towards me with open arms.

I backed up and looked at her with horror.

She immediately stopped walking and stared at me, "Are you okay, son?"

"Why do you two keep calling me son?" I asked, still backing up.

"I don't know what you mean. We've always called you son," replied my father.

"No... I- You've always called me Bud."

"That's not true, son."

I ran back into the living room.

"Hey! Where'd you go?" called my father.

I didn't say anything, I was too busy looking for the book. That damn book.

I couldn't find it for the longest time.

Then I found it, under the couch. I opened it, and I only saw one page, with the words You wanted to Escape reality, so I gave you the life you've always wanted. It's just not Real.

The lady's words from the library came back to me, "Remember that nothing in there is real. "

"It's not fair... I didn't want it like this..." I cried out.

"Didn't want what, son?" called a guttural voice from the kitchen.

I walked towards the kitchen, just to see a dead, zombified version of my father, and a drowned-looking version of my mother.

August 10, 2022 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
05:40 Oct 08, 2022

Hi Lilah! From one horror writer to another, I say this was a great story!! I really enjoyed it. You have a unique style for sure and I think you are amazingly talented! When I started it took me some time to get into my groove as far as what genre I wanted to write in. I applaud your fearlessness and embrace the evil stories to come! Great job on this one!!

Reply

Lilah Hazard
15:24 Oct 10, 2022

Thank you again! I love horror and I have had a knack for gorey, spooky, stuff since I was a young child. I kinda got into writing more once I became a teenager.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:04 Aug 26, 2022

Well, you are a very talented and have a very dark mind to put into that suspense plus twist at the end. Amazing you freaking artist!

Reply

Lilah Hazard
17:56 Aug 26, 2022

:D Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
18:46 Oct 28, 2022

I like the first installment. I feel for the protagonist and hope things turn out well. I will check out the next part when I have a chance.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
16:46 Nov 01, 2022

Thank you so much! I appreciate it.

Reply

John Del Rio
04:58 Nov 02, 2022

The “Text from above” story was inspired by my receiving Snapchat alerts from my deceased mother-in-law’s phone number..

Reply

Lilah Hazard
16:32 Nov 02, 2022

Oh that's cool!

Reply

John Del Rio
16:53 Nov 02, 2022

It was funny . I had been getting the alerts over the last several months. She had passed more than a year ago. I have worked in the cellular industry, so I know when a number gets stopped/disconnected..it stays in holding for awhile and then gets reassigned. But late night after getting yet another alert I thought to myself.....what if it was her....

Reply

Lilah Hazard
18:47 Nov 02, 2022

Oh wow. That's strange. Yet fascinating

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
21:43 Oct 18, 2022

I'm not big on the horror genre, but this is good writing. I can see it being a series. Nice!

Reply

Lilah Hazard
16:36 Oct 20, 2022

Thank you so much! good to keep in mind. I'll write some non-horror stories along the line.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:33 Aug 12, 2022

Well that’s a nightmare and a half you’ve written there, seems nice and then spirals. Be careful to pick past or present tense and stick to it, there were a few jumps between the two. Great start to your reedsy profile. The book is a great idea. You could write a whole series about people reading the book, they could see anything in there. It reminds me of the mirror of desire from Harry Potter.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
17:35 Aug 12, 2022

Thank you Graham! I'm trying something new, and I can't really figure out my style yet on here lol. I wanna make a good impression on all the other writers! :D

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:02 Aug 13, 2022

Just experiment. You can always delete the stories later if you don’t like them but practice is the only way to get better.

Reply

Lilah Hazard
15:22 Aug 15, 2022

Ah, thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.