2 comments

Fiction Speculative Inspirational

The  wind  howled  through  the  trees,  tossing  wave  after  wave  of  leaves  into  the  ground.  The  setting  sun  painted  the  woods  with  mixtures  of  red  and  orange,  mesmerizing  any  who  dared  enter.

The  sound  of  footsteps  desperately  challenged  the  wind,  but  failed  to  be  heard.

A  man  ploddingly  walked  into  the  army  of  trees.  Wandering  ever  further  with  no  goal  in  sight.  Time  lost  meaning  within  the  woods.  Minutes  felt  like  seconds  and  hours  felt  like  years.  Yet  the  sun  was  still  setting.

“How  long  have  I  been  walking?”  The  man  thought  to  himself.  A  sudden  realization  formed  on  his  face  when  he  noticed  the  landscape  was  foreign  to  him.  After  foolishly  turning  around  in  an  attempt  to  discover  where  he  came  from,  the  man  knew  he  was  lost  and  yet  he  was  not  bothered  by  it.

The  sun  was  still  setting.  The  wind  was  still  blowing.  So  the  man  chose  to  keep  walking.

After  hours.  Or  perhaps  seconds.  The  man  decided  to  stop.  He  felt  no  fatigue,  but  could  move  no  further.  His  body  followed  the  swivel  of  his  head  as  he  observed  his  surroundings.  Tree  after  Tree  sat  in  front  of  his  vision.  All  the  same,  yet  unique.  Aged  trees  towered  over  their  much  younger  siblings.  Trees  that  were  beginning  life  comforted  those  at  the  end  of  theirs.

The  man’s  ocean  blue  eyes  witnessed  an  endless  portrait  of  trees  resembling  the  color  of  burnt  charcoal.  He  could  not  fight  the  smell  of  life  that  filled  his  nostrils,  which  he  thought  strange  since  the  woods  seemed  devoid  of  animals.  

His  focus  was  quickly  pried  away  from  animals,  or  the  lack  thereof  and  towards  a  rectangular  post  many  steps  away  from  him.

It’s  shape  was  out  of  place  with  the  rest  of  the  woods.  Like  that  of  an  orange  in  a  pile  of  apples.  It’s  presence  called  out  to  the  man  and  he  began  to  push  his  legs  forward.  The  wind  waged  war  against  his  chestnut  hair  and  blew  into  his  face  as  if  pleading  for  him  to  stay  away  from  where  he  was  heading.

Behind  him,  the  sun  was  still  setting.

After  endless  time  and  no  time  at  all  had  passed,  the  man  reached  the  post.  Curiosity  filled  his  mind  when  he  looked  upon  it,  but  was  quickly  replaced  with  shock  as  he  moved  around  the  old  object.

He  had  been  observing  the  post  from  the  side  of  it  and  as  he  walked  around,  he  learned  it  was  no  post  at  all.  Moss  covered  stones  built  the  base  of  the  object.  Their  perfectly  lined  stacking  expressed  no  hint  of  natural  formation.  Standing  upon  the  top  of  the  small  pillar  of  stones  was  a  window.

It’s  outer  frame  was  white  as  snow  and  didn’t  give  the  appearance  of  great  age  as  the  stones  below  it  did.  The  man  slowly  approached  the  window.  Curiosity  pulling  him  closer  with  each  step.  He  stood  close  enough  that  he  could  reach  out  and  touch  the  window,  But  a  cautious  sensation  kept  him  from  doing  so.  

There  he  stood.  With  the  setting  sun  on  the  horizon  and  the  swirling  wind  around  him.  The  weight  of  his  arm  grew  as  he  slowly  lifted  his  hand  towards  the  window.  His  fingers  made  contact  with  the  clear  material,  followed  by  the  palm  of  his  hand.

The  wind  stopped.

An  emerald  glow  began  illuminating  from  his  hand.  The  light  slowly  spread  across  the  face  of  the  window,  becoming  brighter  with  each  passing  second.  With  growing  unease,  the  man  tried  to  pull  his  hand  away,  but  despite  his  youthful  strength,  he  couldn’t  succeed.  Fear  overcame  him  as  he  desperately  tried  to  pry  his  hand  off  the  window.  A  reflection  in  the  window  began  to  take  shape  as  the  man’s  vision  was  blinded  by  the  light..

The  setting  sun  was  the  first  thing  to  return  to  his  vision.  Followed  by  the  sight  of  the  lifeless  woods.  The  man  could  once  again  see  the  window  in  front  of  him.  As  the  emerald  glow  died  out,  the  reflection  of  a  young  boy  formed  within  the  window.  Startled,  the  man  jumped  back  and  briefly  realized  his  hand  was  now  free  from  the  surface  that  held  it.

“What  is  this?”  The  man  spoke  as  if  waiting  for  an  answer.

“What  is  what?”  The  reflection  of  the  boy  said.

Shock  froze  the  man  in  place.  His  eyes  stared  at  the  reflection  while  his  legs  forced  himself  back.  He  quickly  moved  to  the  side  of  the  window,  hoping  there  was  a  boy  behind  it  that  was  trying  to  scare  him.  Fear  and  confusion  filled  his  blood  as  he  saw  nothing  but  the  wind,  moving  a  fleet  of  leaves.  The  man  took  a  deep  breath  and  steadily  moved  back  in  front  of  the  window.

He  stared  at  the  boy  for  many  moments.  Searching  for  anything  to  say.

“Did  you  just  talk?”  The  man  asked.

A  confused  look  formed  on  the  boy’s  face.

“Well  yeah.  Why’d  you  ask?”

The  man  looked  down  at  his  mud  covered  boots.  His  disbelief  prevented  him  from  trying  to  figure  out  the  situation.  

“T-this  doesn’t  make  sense.  Who  are  you?”

“My  name’s  David  Adams.”  The  boy  proudly  pointed  towards  himself.

The  man’s  eyes  opened  wide.  His  mind  tried  desperately  to  understand.

“That’s  my  name  too.”  David  said.

The  boy’s  face  lit  up  with  fascination  while  David  stood  for  a  moment.  His  gaze  met  with  the  boy’s  blue  eyes.  A  single  question  formed  in  David’s  mouth.

“What  is  your  mother’s  name?”

“My  momma’s  name?  She’s  told  me  before.  It  starts  with  an  M,  I  think.”

“Mary?”  David’s  voice  shook.

“Yeah.  How’d  you  know?”

David  abruptly  walked  away  from  the  window.  His  vision  blurred  from  the  formation  of  tears.  He  took  a  deep  breath  in  a  weak  attempt  to  calm  himself.

“This  can’t  be  possible.”  He  thought.

His  hands  harshly  brushed  his  face,  hoping  this  was  a  dream  that  he  would  wake  up  from.  He  opened  his  eyes  and  saw  the  same  silent  woods.  He  felt  the  same  howling  wind  and  the  same  setting  sun.

This  was  no  dream.

David  looked  up  at  the  orange  tinted  sky.  His  mind  was  racing  to  try  and  think  what  he  should  do  next.  He  thought  of  the  boy’s  face.  They  both  shared  the  same  colored  eyes  and  the  same  names,  as  well  as  the  name  of  their  mothers.  David  lifted  his  hand  up  to  his  chin.  His  finger  rubbed  over  the  slight  bump  of  a  faded  scar.

A  realization  formed  in  David’s  head  as  he  turned  around  and  approached  the  window.  A  minuscule  part  of  his  soul  hoped  the  reflection  of  the  boy  was  still  there.  He  breathed  a  sigh  of  relief  and  happiness  at  the  sight  of  the  boy  looking  back  at  him.

“Why’d  you  run  off?”  

Before  David  could  answer,  his  eyes  were  drawn  to  the  sight  of  a  small  slash  on  the  boy’s  chin.  An  exact  replica  of  David’s  own.

“I’m  fine  kid,  but  may  I  ask  you  a  question?”

The  boy  nodded  his  head  in  agreement  and  watched  as  David  lifted  his  finger  up  to  his  chin.

“How’d  you  get  that  scar?”

The  boy  stared  for  a  moment,  before  forming  a  smile  and  eagerly  explained.

“Got  it  a  while  back.  My  grandpa  and  I  was  fishin’  and  the  hook  swung  back  at  my  chin.  I  didn’t  cry  though.”

The  boy  quickly  added.

David  smiled  in  an  attempt  to  hold  back  his  shock.  It  all  suddenly  made  sense  to  him.  He  remembered  the  hook  swinging  back  and  impaling  his  chin  when  he  was  a  child.  His  grandpa  had  brought  him  to  the  hospital  while  the  tears  rolled  down  his  face.

That  boy  was  him.  As  he  tried  to  process  how  any  of  this  was  happening,  an  idea  took  shape  in  his  mind.

“Kid.  Can  I  ask  a  big  favor  from  you?”

“Sure.”

David  thought  for  a  moment.  He  wasn’t  sure  if  it  would  work,  but  he  was  going  to  try.

“Remember  this.  On  your  twelfth  birthday,  your  mother  will  go  to  pick up  your  cake  in  the  morning.  Don’t  let  her.  Keep  her  from  leaving  till  the  afternoon.”

“Why?”

“Just  trust  me.  Please.”

David  waited  in  fear  that  the  boy  would  say  no.  The  child  stood  in  silence  for  what  felt  like  an  eternity  until  finally  shaking  his  head  in  agreement.  David  began  to  thank  him,  but  was  cut  short  by  the  reappearance  of  the  emerald  glow.

This  time  it  didn’t  appear  slowly,  but  rather  as  a  flash.  David  lost  sight  of  the  real  world  and  could  only  see  a  blanket  of  light  in  front  of  him.  Before  he  could  even  react,  a  multitude  of  images  flashed  around  him.  The  image  of  his  mother’s  vehicle  being  hit,  burned  away.  An  image  of  his  mother  returning  home  with  a  red  and  white  cake  replaced  the  former’s  spot.

Times  spent  with  his  mother  that  never  happened  suddenly  appeared.  Taking  him  on  trips  every  summer,  his  father  and  her  helping  him  learn  to  drive, even  attending  his  graduation.  David  remembered  all  of  these  new  memories  even  though  he  wasn’t  truly  there  to  experience  them.

The  emerald  glow  started  to  fade  away  and  David  could  once  again  see.  With  tears  in  his  eyes,  David  rushed  back  towards  the  window.  He  was  stopped  a  few  feet  away  by  the  beautiful  singing  of  a  bird.  Though  he  couldn’t  see  it,  he  noticed  a  change  in  the  woods.

Butterflies  and  rabbits  were  suddenly  moving  within  the  forest.  His  skin  could  feel  the  wind  softly  blow  past  and  he  could  see  the  sun  was  closer  to  setting.

David  quickly  brought  his  attention  back  to  the  window.  He  stood,  hoping  the  boy  would  return  and  was  ecstatic  at  the  sight  of  a  reflection  forming.  His  excitement  was  replaced  with  confusion  as  a  young  man  appeared  where  the  boy  once  was.

“I  never  thought  I  would  see  you  again.”  The  man  spoke.

“Again?”  David  questioned,  before  realizing  who  it  was.

“You  were  a  little  boy  the  last  time  I  saw  you,  right?”

The  man  nodded  his  head  and  pointed  at  his  scar.

“Yep.  It’s  still  me.”

David  and  the  man  shared  a  laugh  together.  Time  flew  by  as  they  talked  with  each  other  about  their  lives.  David  knew  everything  about  the  man’s  life,  but  still  enjoyed  spending  this  time  just  talking.  After  a  while,  the  man  prepared  himself  to  leave  and  began  to  walk  away.

“Wait.”  David  said.

The  man  stopped  and  looked  back  at  David’s  saddened  face.

“There’s  gonna  be  this  girl  that  comes  into  your  life.  She’ll  be  beautiful,  far  smarter  than  you  and  kind.  One  day  your  friends  will  invite  you  to  a  party.  Don’t  start  drinking.”

David’s  face  pleaded.

“How  would  you  know  any  of  that?”

“It’ll  take  too  long  to  explain.  Just  don’t  pick  up  that  bottle.”

The  man  stared  at  David.  His  concern  was  as  visible  as  the  sun.

“I  appreciate  the  help,  but  don’t  you  have  a  family  you  should  go  be  with?”

“I  will  later  on.  Just  do  this  for  me,  okay?”

The  man  reluctantly  agreed  and  waved  one  last  time  at  David.  His  back  was  the  last  thing  David  saw  before  the  emerald  glow  returned.

David  smiled  as  he  witnessed  the  old  memory  of  a  drunken  man  yelling  at  a scared  woman,  burn  into  nothing.  In  its  place  appeared  an  image  of  a  man  and  woman  snuggled  together,  watching  a  movie.  Images  of  a  marriage  filled  David’s  mind,  quickly  followed  by  times  of  laughing  and  joy.  Two  small  children  appeared  in  front  of  David  as  the  glow  faded  away.

“I  have  kids.”  He  said  to  himself.  Tears  of  joy  flowed  down  his  face  as  he  started  laughing  and  celebrating.

He  rushed  as  fast  as  he  could  back  towards  the  window.  Paying  little  attention to  deer  and  birds  that  now  filled  the  woods.  The  howling  wind  had  finally  ceased  and  the  sun  had  made  further  progress  towards  setting.

David  reached  the  window  and  briefly  noticed  that  he  was  out  of  breath  more than  usual,  but  quickly  brought  his  attention  back  towards  the  clear  surface.  His  excitement  grew  as  the  reflection  came  back.

“Thank  you,  so  much.”  David  exclaimed,  before  realizing  the  man  was  much  older  now.

“It’s  good  to  see  you,  friend.”  The  man  said.

“It  would  seem  you’ve  finally  caught  up  to  me  in  age.”  David  joked.

Confusion  filled  the  man’s  face.

“No  offense,  but  it  looks  like  you’ve  still  got  quite  a  bit  of  years  on  me.”

Shocked,  David  looked  down  at  his  hands  and  realized  they  were  covered  with  wrinkles.  He  quickly  moved  closer  to  the  window  to  try  and  see  his  own  reflection.  He  could  make  out  what  seemed  to  be  more  wrinkles  that  laid  across  his  face  and  light  gray  coloring  sat  where  his  brown  hair  once  was.

David  slowly  stepped  back.

“How  long  have  I  been  here?”

The  man  could  see  the  fear  and  confusion  on  David’s  face.

“It’s  good  seeing  you  again,  but  why  don’t  you  go  back  home  and  rest.  Spend  time  with  your  family.”

David  quickly  looked  up  at  the  man.  His  fear  dispersed.

“I  can’t  do  that.  There’s  still  more  things  I… You  need  to  change.”  David  demanded.

“Why  me?  You’ve  helped  me  in  the  past,  but  now  I’m  trying  to  help  you.  When’s  the  last  time  you’ve  seen  your  family?”

David  was  about  to  protest,  but  stopped  for  a  moment.  He  tried  desperately  to  remember  when  he  had  been  with  his  family.  He  had  memories  of  being  with  them,  but  that  wasn’t  truly  him.  Frustration  grew  in  his  veins.

“Just  help  me  this  last  time.”

“I’m  sorry,  but  I  won’t  do  that.  Go  to  your  family.”

“I’ll  go  to  them  later!  Just  do  one  last  favor!”  David  yelled  out  in  anger.

Sadness  and  pain  fell  on  the  man’s  face  as  he  looked  David  in  the  eyes.

“I  truly  am  sorry,  but  I  won’t.  This  isn’t  helping  you.  Good  bye,  old  friend.”

The  man  slowly  turned  his  back  to  David  and  walked  away.  Within  seconds,  the  reflection  was  gone.

“Fine.  I  don’t  need  your  help.”  David  said.

Blinded  by  anger,  he  searched  for  any  nearby  rocks.  After  finding  one  that  his  old  bones  could  pick  up,  he  threw  it  at  the  window.  The  woods  filled  with  the  sound  of  shattering  glass.  The  window  laid  in  pieces  on  the  cold  dirt.  An  emerald  glow  dimly  lit  each  piece,  before  finally  dying  out.

David  stood  above  the  broken  object,  slowly  regaining  his  breath.  His  anger  fizzled  away  and  he  realized  what  he’d  done.  Sadness  filled  his  face,  but  a  slight  relief  grew  inside  him.  

After  an  unknown  amount  of  time  David  began  to  walk.  Memories  of  a  past  that  wasn’t  his,  played  out  in  his  head.  His  mother,  wife  and  kids.  The  times  of  joy  and  times  of  sadness.  People  he  loved  more  than  anything,  yet  didn’t  truly  know.  

The  past  he  spent  his  present  trying  to  change.

After  moments  of  walking,  he  found  a  shaded  area  under  a  beautiful,  green  tree.  His  bones  ached  as  he  slowly  bent  down  to  rest.  He  sat  in  silence  and  for  once,  truly  listened  to  the  sounds  of  life.  The  birds  sang  as  they  flew  from  nest  to  nest.  Rabbits  and  squirrels  scurried  to  and  fro.  Deer  ate  peacefully  amongst  the  bushes.  David  felt  the  wind  gently  comfort  his  tired  face  and  in  the  present,  he  sat  and  watched  as  the  sun  finally  set.   

June 12, 2021 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Driss Boutat
08:31 Oct 02, 2021

Well done👍

Reply

Jacob Rainey
00:14 Oct 05, 2021

Thank you. That means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.