4 comments

Fantasy Coming of Age Drama

It was only the early hours of the afternoon but the town of Llam was starting to get covered in darkness.

Normally, the inhabitants would be standing outdoors or looking out of their windows to observe this strange phenomenon. But, today, no one seemed to care that the crescent sun was getting smaller with each passing minute.

The solar eclipse arrived exactly as the news had predicted, yet the residents of Llam greeted it with cold silence instead of wonderment.

Nora, however, was waiting for exactly this moment. The instant the edges of the sun and the moon kissed in the sky, she took a deep breath and gingerly came out of the broken-down car she was hiding in. 

She kept her head low to avoid being seen, which was a first for her. Being 4' 10" at the age of 15 meant trying her best to be noticed unless she wanted to get trampled over by her peers.

Crouching behind the car's bonnet, she looked across the street where her target stood proud- her old school building. The only structure in the area that hadn’t been damaged in the recent conflicts.

She had always loathed the place but now that it was occupied by the Major General and his goons, she noticed that her hatred for it had reached unfathomable levels.

Fighting her frustration, she tried to focus on the mission at hand. She was to break into the Major’s office and get access to his computer. Under normal circumstances, this would’ve been impossible. On this particular day, however, the chief of the goons was away to present a report on Llam at a peacekeeping summit.

Even so, Nora reminded herself not to relax. The Major’s goons were still around and if she got caught, things could get pretty ugly. From what she could make out from her low vantage point, two guards were stationed in front of the building’s front gates and one was standing on top of the huge stairs that led to the entrance. All three of them were dressed in black from head to toe: the uniform of the goons. And as if this look wasn’t menacing enough, cradled in their arms were military-issued firearms but Nora was sure they had more weapons on their person.

Nora lowered her body and sat with her back against the car. The start of the solar eclipse meant that the plan should already be in motion. Any moment now her friends would create a distraction that she would use to slip past the guards and enter the building.

None of them had a watch, so they decided to use the eclipse as the signal to commence their operation.

Nora had no idea what her friends were planning to do. But she had to believe they would improvise to the best of their abilities. She didn’t have much to help her out on her reckless mission. All she had was her friends, a flash drive and flashlight in her pocket, and faith that everything would go according to plan.

Faith that was slowly diminishing with the impending darkness.

Even with the moon’s shadow now halfway across the sun, her friends had yet to arrive to distract the guards. Nora was slowly starting to consider the possibility that either her friends had got cold feet and bailed or worse, they got caught trying to do something dangerous.

No matter what the reason was, Nora knew that she couldn’t sit there any longer. Her nerves wouldn’t let her. She had to act, with or without a distraction. So, she put one knee on the ground and took a runner’s form. Small she might be, she was also as agile as a cat.

She was just about to make a run for the gates when she felt the ground beneath her vibrate. Looking up in time, she saw a tank turn into the street and make its way to the school building.

Nora’s jaw dropped. This couldn’t be good news. Judging by the guards’ reaction, they were taken aback by the tank’s appearance too.

This couldn’t possibly be her friends, right?!

Nora saw the third guard leave his station and join the other two out on the street. All three of them signaled the tank to stop but it showed no sign of slowing down. In unison, they raised their guns and pointed them at the armoured vehicle.

Nora guessed the only reason they weren’t open-firing was because they weren’t certain who was in it. Or, perhaps because they just weren’t simply smart enough to understand that the approaching vehicle was hostile.

With an almighty crash, the tank slammed into the front gates, narrowly missing the guards, who had the good sense to jump out of the way before they were turned to pancakes.

This was Nora’s chance. Before they even hit the ground, she was running at full speed towards the opening. In seconds she had crossed the street and reached the freshly-crushed gates, coming to a stop next to the tank, which was now resting at the base of the stairs.

She wished she could check if it was indeed her friends inside and if they were unharmed. But the clock was ticking. The guards still hadn’t recovered from their fall but it wouldn’t take them long. As silently as she could manage, she fled the scene, but instead of taking the stairs, she went around it. The school had a side entrance next to the stairs that she hoped would give her a safer and more inconspicuous passage to the Major’s office.

Lucky for her, the door to the side entrance was unlocked. Nora hastily stepped inside and locked the door behind her. The room was pitch black. Even so, a small part of her felt relieved that she made it inside the building. But things only got more dangerous from this point on.

Nora tapped her thigh lightly to confirm the flash drive was still in her pocket. From her other pocket, she took out the small flashlight. She was just about to turn it on when-

“About time you got here,” came a bored, drawling voice from the darkness. It belonged to a man.

Nora let out a little shriek and dropped the flashlight. It clattered loudly on the floor but she barely heard it over her galloping heart.

“Who’s there?” Nora whispered.

The man didn’t reply. Instead, Nora heard footsteps coming near her. A soft click filled the silence and the flashlight came to life. The man pointed it straight at her face.

Nora recoiled and shielded her face with her hands.

“A little clumsy today, are we?” asked the man.

Nora was struggling to see him but the man seemed much taller than she was. And he had caught her. Nora hadn’t felt such despair in a long time. He’d been waiting there for her which meant her plan was doomed to fail from the beginning.

But how did he know? Has someone been spying on her and her friends? Or did someone betray her? She risked everything only to get captured instantly.

As if the man knew what she was thinking, he chuckled.

“What’s your name, little girl?” he asked.

Little girl?!

Her anger returned slightly and that helped her find her voice again.

“My name is Lana and I’m 17,” she lied. Nora was impressed with herself. She wasn’t a very good liar but now the lies rolled off of her tongue rather naturally.

“You don’t look 17, Lana,” he mused. “I’d say you seem closer to 13.”

Nora tried to glare at the man but the light was making it difficult for her.

“You’re wrong,” she replied through gritted teeth.

“Whatever you think your reason is for lying,” he said. “I assure you, it’s not necessary.”

With that, he turned the flashlight off and snapped his fingers. The room filled with brightness and Nora could finally see the person.

The first thought to cross Nora’s mind was that he couldn’t be a soldier. In front of her was the most beautiful man she had laid her eyes on. With his long blonde locks and sharp jawlines, he could’ve been a model. He also had the build and height for it too.

And he was wearing a tux!

“People lie to me a lot,” he continued. “But it’s pointless. I know them better than they think I do.”

“Are you one of the Major’s people?” Nora asked, pretending to be unfazed by the man’s physical appearance.

“I am no one’s people,” he smirked.

“Then what’re you doing down here?” Nora asked.

“Hmmm, that’s a good question,” he said. “But an even better question is, what are you doing down here?”

Nora remained quiet. No way was she going to tell him anything.

“Humans these days are so untrusting,” he sighed. “Well, not that I blame you. Just the other day a guy tried to catfish me. Me, of all people! I had all his accounts deleted. He can rot in the dark ages.”

“What’re you talking about?” Nora asked, perplexed.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” he said, frowning. “I forgot you’re one of the humans who don’t have any accounts. You poor little thing.”

“What accounts?” Nora asked. What was this man’s deal?

“Social media accounts, of course,” he said like it was the most obvious thing.

Nora gaped. She was trapped in her old school building with a madman.

“Who are you?” Nora asked.

“I can tell you,” he replied. “But I need something in return.”

“What?”

“The truth,” he said simply. “A truth for a truth, that seems fair. Why are you here?”

Nora stayed quiet.

“Fine, I’ll sweeten the deal for you,” he said, exasperated. “Tell me why you’re here and I’ll give you my name and I’ll tell you where your friends are.”

“My friends?” Nora asked.

“Yes, the two psychopaths who crashed the tank outside,” he said. “I’ll tell you where they are.”

Nora considered her options. The exit to the room was right behind the man but she wasn’t too sure that she’d be able to escape easily. Fighting this crazy person didn’t seem like a viable plan either.

So, she decided to play along until she found her opening.

“I’m here to tell the world the truth,” Nora said. “The Major is going to give his report and tell everyone at the summit how the people of Llam are free and are living in paradise. He’s going to tell them about all the amazing work they’ve done for us…”

Nora had to take a deep breath to calm herself.

“When the reality is we’re living as prisoners at their mercy in our town,” she continued, her voice trembling. “We’re being treated like wild animals every day. They’ve taken everything from us and the world doesn’t know. And if the Major gives his report, they’ll think everything’s sunshine and rainbows here and turn a blind eye towards us. I won’t let him do that.”

Nora thought if he was one of the Major’s goons, maybe she’d manage to get a reaction out of him. But the man only stared at her.

“And how are you planning on doing that?” he asked.

“You’re forgetting something, mister,” Nora said cooly. “A truth for a truth.”

“Oh, that’s right!” he exclaimed, suddenly excited. “I almost forgot. I’m meant to tell you who I am. Are you ready for this?”

Nora scowled.

“I’m Codesila,” he said proudly. “The God of Social Media.”

“Godzilla?” Nora asked, thoroughly confused.

“Do you want to get cancelled forever?” he asked furiously. “I’ll let that one slide because you’re probably in a state of shock. You can call me Code if that’s easier for your human brain.”

“God of social media… so, you’re like an influencer?” Nora asked slowly.

“Influencer?” he repeated incredulously. “No, child, I am the reason humans have social media. Every engagement you get is my blessing. Every viral video is my divine intervention. Every meme is my gospel.”

Nora was sure she was going to die in there with this crazy person as her only company. Of all the people who could’ve killed her, why did it have to be this lunatic?

“Oh, before I forget,” he added. “Your friends are being held on the third floor in the principal’s office, which is the Major’s office now.”

“Are they okay?” she asked quickly.

“Maybe not in the head, you better get that checked out. But they’re not that hurt,” he said.

“I need to go save them,” she said and started heading towards the door.

But Code stepped in front of her.

“Move,” she said. She would fight this deranged person if she had to but she would make sure that her friends got out okay.

“I think I know why I’m here,” he said. “I’m going to help you.”

“You’re going to help me?!” she scoffed.

“Yes, but first, you need to be taken in,” he said.

“What do you–” Nora started saying but Code snapped his fingers again and the room went dark once more.

Nora was about to protest when she heard the locked door behind her open with a click and someone stepped in. She turned around just as the lights came back on and found herself facing the barrel of a gun.

It was one of the guards.

“Hands where I can see them,” he barked.

Nora raised her hands instinctively and looked around with the corner of her eyes. Code wasn’t in the room. It was like he vanished into thin air.

“If I see you trying anything, I’ll make sure that’s the last thing you do,” the man growled. “Turn around and walk out of this room.”

Nora did as she was told. The guard shoved her hard with his gun and led her out. She felt like an idiot. Code was probably one of the Major’s men. He had been stalling Nora with all his insane stories while waiting for his goon buddy to show up.

The guard took her to the elevator at the end of the hallway outside the room. With his gun still glued to her back, he pressed the “up” button.

“You kids had to pick today to create this mess,” the guard snarled. “I’m going to get an earful from the Major. Lucky for you, your friends told us everything. One of them nearly peed his pants.”

He laughed cruelly.

“What are you going to do to us?” Nora asked.

The guard ignored her. The elevator doors opened and he gave her another shove. Once inside, he pressed “3”. They were going to the Major’s office.

The guard did not communicate with Nora for the rest of their journey except for the occasional jabs with the gun to lead her to the office. Nora deemed these unnecessary; she knew the way to the principal’s office very well. Going past her old classrooms now did not make her feel nostalgic. It all felt very alien to her like she was walking in these hallways for the first time. The fact that the place was now crawling with uniformed guards did not help either.

In what felt like an eternity, during which Nora tried and failed to think of an escape plan, they finally arrived. The man opened the door and pushed her in. The office hadn’t changed much. The large desk was still where it used to be, facing the door, with the enormous windows behind it. Nora remembered being blinded by the natural light streaming through the windows the last time she was there. Now, it had a magnificent view of the eclipse.

Her eyes scanned the room and they fell on her friends lying on the floor, their hands and legs bound.

“Nora! We’re so sorry!” They cried out loud when they saw her.

“Shut up!” the guard yelled. “Now, girl, hand me the flash drive if you don’t want me to harm your friends.”

Nora bit her lips. All the evidence she had gathered against the Major and his regime was in that drive and she had planned to send them to every one of the Major’s contacts using the computer in his office- the only computer in Llam that had an internet connection. If the guard got hold of the drive, all their hopes would get crushed.

“Now,” he roared.

The room got darker until Nora could barely see the guy anymore. It felt like nighttime.

“We have reached totality,” Nora heard a familiar voice from behind the guard.

Suddenly, the man collapsed and Nora saw another figure come into the room.

“When darkness reigns during the day,

The line between worlds turns grey.

Gods walk among the humans again,

Relieving them of sadness and pain.”

Code’s figure appeared in front of Nora.

“For an impromptu poem, that wasn’t bad, if I do say so myself,” said Code in his lazy voice.

Nora was dumbstruck.

“What happened to the guard?” she asked.

“I blocked him,” he replied.

“What about the guards outside?”

“I blocked them too,” he said. ”You plan on uploading the contents of the drive?”

Nora nodded.

She felt Code cross the room and reach the computer. In moments it came to life. Nora sat in front of it and saw the email application was already open and a whole list of IDs was typed in the “Send to” box with the subject line reading “Free Llam”.

Still in a daze, Nora plugged in the drive and attached the files to the email. But she didn’t hit send. 

She looked at Code and asked him, “Are you seriously a god?”

She saw his lips curl into a smile in the dim glow of the computer screen. He said nothing and instead tapped the mouse to hit send. 

“Your story has been sent to everyone’s emails and newsfeeds. You’re trending,” Code chuckled. “Now, your fate is in the hands of the people.”

November 03, 2023 07:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

06:33 Nov 10, 2023

Beautifully written story that vividly captures current events, creating a visually compelling and relatable narrative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anika Farha
06:14 Nov 10, 2023

This was such an exhilarating read. Need more chapters!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aamer Shams
06:11 Nov 10, 2023

Is "I am Codesila" an anagram for social media? That's crazy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Selima Kabir
15:02 Nov 10, 2023

Omg, what an ominous and exciting premise. You have to build on this world and give us more of Nora and her friends.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.