0 comments

Funny Friendship Fiction

Mark slapped the tickets on the receptionist’s counter. “Has the plane left?” He panted.  

“Nope,” She happily said, “You’re just in time, we’re about to board your zone now.” Mark took a deep sigh. As he walked onto the plane, he shuffled his way down the narrow lane. He was in the back, right next to the jet engine that roared to life when they were up in the sky. Mark sighed again.

“Well, that’s what I get for bargain hunting,” he fussed as he scanned over his vacation pamphlet. The hard-working store manager had earned a week-long vacation from his bosses. Of course, it probably was forced. There wasn’t a day that he didn’t work at that store. Now he had the time to go on a vacation, and he had planned it for an eternity. For a bargain, of course. Managers didn’t make that much. Mark looked at his clock one last time before going to sleep as the plane soared from New York and to the warm land of Florida. Smart, young, and single, Mark scaled up the ladder to store manager. The last manager largely didn’t know what he was doing. Mark, who graduated with an associate in business management, did.  

As the plane touched down at Fort Lauderdale, Mark was roused out of sleep and quickly got his luggage, probably before the plane even touched down. Shuffling out the flying human sardine can, he made it to the luggage terminal and grabbed his taxi. “Yes, mom. I’m fine,” He said over the phone. 

“Are you sure you packed everything? Do you have your bags and stuff? Oh! Do you have your credit cards and-” 

“Mom, I’m okay,” Mark cut her off. “I’ll call you back when I’m at the hotel, okay? Yes, I love you, too. Bye.” He hung up the phone. “Ugh.” 

“Parents?” asked the taxi driver.  

“Like you wouldn’t believe,” Mark grumbled. He was glad he moved out when he could. Mark still grumbled under his breath. Palm trees swayed in the afternoon sun while large ponds and lakes dotted the roadside every few minutes. At times, Mark thought he saw an alligator but quickly shook it off. It wasn’t. Signs for Disneyworld, Seaworld, and Space Shuttle streamed across the road on billboards, but Mark focused on the time. It was a long flight, and he just wanted some rest. Finally, the taxi reached the hotel.  

“This is your stay?” 

“Yes. Here you go,” Mark quickly said, passing the money to the driver. 

“Good luck.” 

“What do you mean?”  

“I’ve heard some weird things about this hotel.” 

“Have people died?” Mark asked as a snide comment. 

“No, but everyone’s life has changed whenever they step behind those doors. Again, I say, good luck,” the cab zoomed off faster than he came. Mark rolled his eyes and pulled his luggage into the immaculate hotel. The lobby itself had a tall ceiling with a golden shining chandelier in its airy room. Mark pulled his luggage up to the receptionist.  

“Hello, Mark Christian. I’m here for a week with a suite.” The receptionist spun around and smiled grandly with a thin-lipped red lip-sticked smile. She had to have been 70-years-old by the look of it, yet she moved around like she was 30. Her white hair was fizzled up a bit but then fell down her back to her shoulders.  

“Welcome!” She practically shouted in a high-shrill voice. “Let me get you rung in. The bellhop will take your luggage up.” Mark turned and saw the bellhop was a very tall brick-faced man with skin paler than vampires. “Doug, please take Mr. Christian’s stuff up.” 

“I-It’s okay. I’ll carry it myself,” Mark said. Doug did a small nod and walked away.  

“Well, here’s your key. Your room is 503. It’s one of our two-bed suites. I hope you enjoy it,” the receptionist smiled. Mark gave a short nod and hurried to the elevator. Now, what the cab driver said made sense. Mark shook his head. 

“I’m here to relax. That’s it,” Mark sighed. Being a manager is hard and stressful. While you’re a worker, you’re just worried about doing a good enough job. When you’re a manager, you have to manage everyone’s job, close and open the store, file reports, etc. It quickly becomes a chore. That’s why Mark needed this vacation. Sure, it was a bargain vacation, but that was beside the point. The elevator opened, and Mark walked down to suite 503. He opened it and saw a simplistic yet elegant couch by the side and two white covered beds. A big flatscreen TV stood to the other side and a beautiful balcony view outside faced the ocean as the sea breeze drifted loving saltwater air into his nostrils. 

There was one weird thing. The balcony door was open. Mark shrugged. Some hotels did that. He put the luggage onto the bed and began the meticulous chore of putting his stuff away when he realized something. Water was running in the bathroom. He thought it was from the other room, but it wasn’t. “Oh no,” Mark muttered. He threw his clothes back in and was about to leave, but the bathroom door opened and out came a woman in a white towel, drying her hair.  

Of course, she screamed. Naturally. But then a conversation, or the attempt of one, started. “What are you doing here!”  

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to barge in! The receptionist said I was in 503. I must be in the wrong room,” Mark quickly reached for the door.  

“WAIT!” the woman cried out. She ran into the bathroom. Mark opened the door and looked at the number. 503. This was the room.  

“What? That can't be right. I’m sorry! I’ll be right back. I mean... I won’t... uh...” 

“Just go!” shouted the woman from the bathroom door. Mark did.  

No matter how loud the Caucasian man shouted and groaned, the receptionist couldn’t stop saying, “I’m sorry sir, but that is the room you booked.” 

“I. Know,” Mark grunted, rubbing his temples, “But it can’t be the room because there is a woman in my room who already has it. Can’t you put me in another room? Maybe there was a mistake with the computer system.”  

“There wasn’t and we can’t. We’re at full capacity,” the receptionist said. “Oh! Wait, a room just opened up!” 

“Great! How much?” 

“$36,000 per night.” The receptionist had the audacity to smile.  

“That can’t be right! I booked this stay for $110.”  

“That’s because it was a bargain. I’m sorry sir. And I've already checked if there are other hotels that would take you in for a week, but none can in the area.”  

“What about outside the area?” Mark asked.  

“Let me check. Yes! There is a hotel right in Tallahassee,” The receptionist smiled excitedly. They were in Orlando.  

Mark sighed in defeat, “Okay, so what can I do?”  

“I would stay.”  

“In the same suite with a total stranger?” Mark asked.  

“Absolutely not!” Shouted the dressed woman that Mark met. “I’ll book another suite.” Of course, the woman went through the same argument that Mark just went through and came up with the same problem. Mark noticed her tossed together clothes: a puffy pink shirt with gray leggings. Her black hair was still shiny wet from the shower, and her feet had sandals on her tannish white feet. Mark picked up that her name was Isabella Green from the discussion. Isabella finally groaned, “So what?” 

“Well, I would stay.” 

“Which leads us back here,” Mark sighed.  

“Alright,” Isabella finally said, “I’ll stay along with... uh... What’s your name?” 

“Mark.” He offered his hand. She shook his hand.

“I’m Isabella. Let’s get back to the room since we can’t do anything here,” Isabella huffed, glaring at the smiling receptionist. They entered the elevator and rode it up to the fifth floor. “I can’t believe this.” 

“Hey, I’m not thrilled about this either, but it’s better than nothing,” Mark replied. “Look, I promise not to try anything funny.” 

“Good because I took judo classes since I was nine,” Isabella slightly threatened as Mark opened the door. “This is the last time I’m gonna bargain hunt.” 

“That’s something we can agree on,” Mark grumbled. He cleared his throat after a long silence. “So which bed did you want?” 

“It doesn’t matter,” Isabella sighed, crossing her arms. “Just... keep to your side, okay?” 

“Look, I’m not this psycho guy trying to see some lady parts. I just wanted a nice relaxing vacation, but I guess I can’t even get that,” Mark sighed, unpacking his clothes. They devised a system. Mark would shower in the night while she showered in the day. Then they started looking over their planned schedules. That was special.  

“No,” Isabella flatly said. 

“I’m just saying that-” 

“No.” 

“It would save money and time. We’re both going to the same place about nine times,” Mark said. Isabella clenched her fist in front of her face and blew a long breath.  

“Okay, might as well.” 

“Great. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to talk to my mom.” Isabella rose her eyebrow. “No, I do not live with my mother,” Mark remarked. “She just worries a lot.” 

“Heh, I know the type,” Isabella sympathized. Mark stepped out on the balcony to talk but they both immediately figured out that Mark’s mom was loud enough to be heard anywhere. Screaming and yelling, Mark’s mom complained about the situation that Mark was in.  

“And you’re just going to stay there with a complete stranger! What if they’re a serial killer or something? Or worse! They’re secretly a politician.” Mark could hear Isabella laughing inside. 

“Mom it’s okay,” Mark said, “She’s not some-” 

“She?” 

“Yes, I’m staying with a woman.” There was silence over the phone.  

“Oh... well have a good time.” 

“Wait, what?” Mark said. “What do you mean by that?” 

“Nothing, nothing. Geez, you always overthink things. I’ll talk to you later, honey. Buh-bye!” Mark didn’t know what to do and simply walked back into the room where Isabella was organizing her things.  

“Your mom seems nice,” She said.  

“I know she’s... crazy, but I-” 

“It’s okay. And I promise you I’m not a serial killer... or a politician,” She smiled sweetly yet cheekily. Mark rolled his eyes. “So... Where are you from?” 

“My mother.” 

“A wise butt. Nice,” Isabella grumbled.  

“From New York.” 

“Chicago.”  

“And I’m guessing you were looking for a vacation as well?” Mark sighed, sitting down on the bed.  

“Actually, no. This is a... forced vacation,” Isabella replied. Mark’s eyes shifted to her. His hand lightly hovered over his phone behind him. “I was living with my boyfriend for a while and... things didn’t go well.” 

“Did he cheat on you?” 

“No. He just couldn’t support me.” 

“You’re going to have to fill in some details,” Mark said. “I’m not the best with... subtle cues.”  

Isabella sighed, “I’m an office head at this company in Chicago. I was getting a promotion when he said that he didn’t think he could support me the way I wanted him to.” 

“Did you want earrings or pearls? What on earth does he mean by that?” Mark asked.  

“He meant that he would slow me down in my career.” Isabella paused and stared at the carpet. “He said I was still hungry, and he was just trying to settle down.” 

“You two were incompatible.” Isabella nodded. “And you couldn’t convince him to stay with you?”  

Isabella sighed, flipping her hair back, “No.”  

“Did you want him to stay?” Mark asked. Isabella gave the sharpest sigh he had heard and turned her full body to him.  

“You know enough about me already. I’m just here to get away from it all. Why are you here?” She asked.  

“I’ve been planning this vacation forever. Ever since I became manager anyway.” 

“When was that?”  

“About three years ago?” 

“And you plan to stay there?”  

“I...” Mark couldn’t say the words. Why? He shook his head “Not... really.”  

“You don’t sound sure.” 

“Why don’t we stop looking to each other’s lives. We’re only here for a week. For now, we’re just acquaintances. Deal?” 

“Deal,” Isabella agreed. Though forced together, Mark found himself enjoying himself more than he intended. The “inmates” had a lot in common: singlehood, managerial jobs, overprotective mothers. Mark really complained about his job at times, but with the sun shining on them and the vast early morning beach with no one around, they couldn’t stay on misery. Instead, they played volleyball, which Mark found he was horrible at. What’s more, they realized they liked the same shows, so staying in the room with each other wasn’t a chore. After drinks, parties, museums, and even waterparks, Mark started feeling sore all over his body. “Massage.” 

“No.” 

“It would be good for you,” Isabella said. 

“I don’t like the idea of people touching me,” Mark shivered. The black-haired woman ran her hand through her hair. “Plus, being fully naked-” 

“You don’t have to be fully naked.” 

“It’s expensive.” 

“I’ll take care of it. My treat.”  

“For what?” 

“For... nearly drowning you when we were racing in the pool,” Isabella said.  

“You cheated.” 

“I did not!”  

“I know there was something that kicked me,” Mark said, though he couldn’t say it without smiling. Isabella rolled her eyes. “Fine, I’ll do it.” 

“Good.”  

“But if they touch anywhere they’re not supposed to, I’m blaming you!” So, the two went to the spa and after a lengthy massage process, the masseuse found the issue.  

“Stress,” she said to the two after the session. “Your body tenses up when you’re stressed and doing that for too long will get your muscles aching to the point you don’t realize it.”  

“But why don’t you have it?” Mark asked Isabella.  

“I work out and do yoga. I have to in order to stay sane in my job,” Isabella said.  

Soon, their time together was drawing to a close. They sat on the balcony, looking at the sunset settle in the West. The saturated hues danced in the sky as Mark laughed at the idea in his head. “What?” Isabella asked.  

“You know. I’m surprised that no one thought we were couples.” 

Isabella smiled, “I’m sure that couples wouldn’t be this friendly with each other.” 

“They should,” Mark said, sipping his juice. “I liked this. the time we had. I don’t think I would have had a relaxing week if I didn’t have you around.” 

“Flirt.” 

“I’m serious.” 

“Well, the same to you,” Isabella said. A quiet moment passed. Mark was almost drifting off to sleep when Isabella said. “I did want him to leave.”  

“Huh? Who?” Mark mumbled the question out.  

“I wanted my boyfriend to leave. I wanted to excel so much in my career that... him living wasn’t,” Isabella rubbed her eyes. “I’m such a horrible person.” 

“No, you’re not,” Mark said. “He realized that you two had incompatible goals. There’s nothing wrong with separating. Look, I know for a fact that you love your job and you have a drive that isn’t slowing down anytime soon. It’s not necessarily my style of living, but... I think I can try new things to get out of my comfort bubble. The point is that he couldn’t support you the way you needed. Better now than when you’re married or something. Learn your priorities. What is truly important to you?”  

“Since when did you get smart?” Isabella chuckled, wiping a few tears out of her eyes.  

“Honestly, this week,” Mark smiled.  

“So you go back to work tomorrow or after the weekend?”  

“Neither.” Isabella’s eyes widened. “I decided to go back to school. I just have a few years to finish up and then I’ll have my bachelor's.” 

“You dropped out?” Mark nodded. “What made you want to go back?” Isabella asked. 

“You,” Mark smiled.  

As the vacation ended, Mark hugged Isabella goodbye. They came to the receptionist woman who had green lipstick on. “Hello, are you checking out?” she asked in a peppery voice. 

“Uh... weren’t you here the first time we came in?” Mark asked.  

“Oh, you must mean my sister.” Mark and Isabella looked at each other but shook their heads. Now was not the time to figure out the logic of the hotel. They checked out and got into their separate cabs, giving each other one last wave. That’s when Mark noticed he had the same cab driver as before. 

“You’re going back. So... how was your stay?”  

“You were right,” Mark smiled. “It really does change people’s lives.”  

March 04, 2021 14:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.