0 comments

Fiction Coming of Age

I press my face against the window. I can see delicate flakes of white falling from the sky. I watch, enraptured by this strange new experience. I wonder what the white flakes are. A book appears next to me like it always does when I have a question. I open the book and start reading. 


It’s called snow Riley. It’s like rain but it only comes when it’s cold enough. You know what rain is right? 


I pull the pen out from my pocket and write a response. 


Yes I know rain. You told me about it last week. Can I go and play in the snow? It looks fun. 


You must stay here Riley. You know the rules. You are not permitted to leave the house if you want to remain here.


I close the book with a sigh. I do know the rules. The house provides everything for me as long as I never leave. If I step one foot out of the house, it disappears and I have to fend for myself. The house has told me about The Outside and I’m scared that I wouldn’t survive out there. Not after 17 years of living like this. My stomach grumbles and a plate of food instantly appears in front of me. I pick up half of the sandwich and take a bite. It’s exactly what I was thinking of. I lean back and a chair instantly appears. I’ve lived like this for 17 years. Getting exactly what I want without even having to lift a finger. I don’t know who is in control of the house, or even if there’s another person in the house. I’ve explored it completely but I’ve never found anyone else. I stand up and put my plate down. Maybe I should try exploring the house again. It’s better than sitting around and reading about whatever question pops into my head. A new pair of clothes replaces my pajamas. A warm scarf wraps around my neck as the temperature drops. I start walking up the stairs to the second floor where my room is. A map of the house appears in my hand. I pull out my pen before the house can give me another one. This pen is the only thing I have that the house didn’t conjure up. It has a name on it, the Griffins. It has a small drawing beside it. I think it’s something from The Outside. I click the pen and start crossing off rooms as I enter them. I check every corner of my room for any secrets and cross it off. I check the bathroom, the library, the kitchen, the living room. Wall to wall, ceiling to floor. I don’t see anything or anyone. Not even any animals, like those tiny mice or bugs I hear about in books.

“There’s nothing here.” I state.

The silence I get in reply is deafening. I wish I had someone to talk to. Nothing appears. For the first time, the house didn’t fulfil my wish. I have nothing else to do so I search the house again. There’s got to be a computer or a person who can read my mind and see what I want all the time. There has to be something. There has to be something new in this repetitive life. I search again and again and again but I don’t find anything. I go to slam my fist down on a desk but the table disappears. I start to fall and almost hit the ground but cushions appear under me. A book flies beside my head. I open it.


Don’t hurt the house Riley, or else it won’t be so kind to you in the future. 


I whip out my pen and scribble a response. 


Who are you? What do you want with me? Why am I here? Show me who you are!


I’m afraid I can’t do that. You have a life of luxury, everything you could ever want, and you know the rules. Don’t ask too many questions Riley, or you’ll find the house won’t be so hospitable. 


I throw the book across the room but it stops midway and flies back to the library. I sit on my knees and clench my fists. What’s the point of having everything you could ever need if you can’t have the only thing you would ever want? I’m 17 and I still haven’t even shaken hands with another human. There could be someone else in here and I can’t see them.

“I want someone to talk to!” I shout at the house.

The book starts to fly out but I slap it away.

“Bring me a human! Bring me a friend!” I beg the house.

Absolute silence. I stand up in a rage and look out the window. The flakes are still falling, they’re starting to build up in a pile. I close my eyes and imagine myself running through that pile. The joy I would feel at finding a bit of happiness without help from the house. I could finally be free to feel accomplishment when I achieve a goal or find food all on my own. I could be my own person, not someone who follows the rules of the house to have the easy life. Something colorful catches my eye amidst the whites and greens of the forest. A bright red jacket. A person. I press my face to the glass so I can see it better. There’s a design on the jacket, it looks familiar but I can’t tell from where. My eyes widen and I whip out my pen. It’s the logo on my pen. It’s the Griffins! I can't believe it! Two more red jackets appear from the trees. They’re all talking and laughing with each other. One of them has pink hair. Maybe that’s a thing in The Outside. The only hair color I know is my own. I watch them walk around on the snow, kicking it and throwing it at each other. One kid pulls out a board and starts sliding on the snow with it. It looks so fun. I wish I could go out with them. They start to walk away and I put my hand on the window. I don’t want them to go. I want to see them, maybe talk to them. I knock on the window but they’re too far away. I run to a different part of the house so I can watch them for longer but I don’t get much more time. I feel panicked. I want to go after them. But if I do, I lose the house. They disappear over a hill and I make my decision. I bolt through the house and head to the front door. Just as I reach for the handle a door flies in front of my hand. I open it up. 


Are you sure you want to do this? You will lose all of the house's gifts and you won’t be able to return. 


They can give me something the house can never provide. 


I scribble in the book and throw it across the room. I reach for the door and turn the handle. The door swings open and cool air slaps my face. I love it. I take a deep breath and step out of the house. I hear a crunch as I step into the snow for the first time. My entire body shivers with happiness. Or cold. Either way, it’s amazing. I’m in The Outside! I kick the snow softly and laugh with delight when “Whoo hoo!” I shout.

I’m vaguely aware of the house slipping into the ground but I’m too focused on the joy of snow to worry about my former home fading away. I see the red jackets run back up the hill to see what’s going on. I throw snow up in the air and It falls all around me.

“I’m in The Outside!” I shout at their confused faces. “I’m free to live!”

They all run up and for the first time I see a real human face. It’s incredible. I freeze for a moment to just take in the moment. People. I stare at them and inspect every bit of their face. I’m completely awed. The pink haired girl takes a step closer.

“Are you ok? Do you need help?”

Her voice is incredible. I’ve never heard another human talk before. I run towards her but I slip a bit for some reason. A hand reaches out and catches me before I fall. A hand. A warm hand. Not a book, a real human person's hand. I look up and stare at the pink haired girl with awe.

“You-you’re real.” I breathe.

She smiles at me. “Be careful, you’re on ice.”

I look down at my feet. “Ice?”

She nods. “Ice. Come on, we’ll take you up to our training spot. Me and the rest of the guys here are snowboarders.” She nods to the rest of the red jackets.

I look around instinctively for the book about to fly in on snowboarding but then I remember the house is gone. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. It’ll be hard to move on, but I think it’s going to be worth it. I stand up straighter and find my balance on the ice. I look straight into pink haired girl's eyes. I’m almost as tall as her.

“Thanks.” I say.

We both smile at each other. I take another careful step on the ice and walk towards my new life.


January 16, 2021 04:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.