"The Brush of Truth"

Written in response to: Show how an object’s meaning can change as a character changes.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Bedtime



Lina's life was like a canvas overshadowed by dull shades of gray. Every day passed with a heavy heart and weary steps. At her core, she was an artist, but her love for art was fading with each passing day. Her ideas had come to a standstill, her colors had lost their vibrancy, and the paints in her palette had dried up and caked over. She had grown tired of her canvas.


One day, Lina discovered an old shop tucked away in a forgotten alley. The shop's façade whispered secrets, drawing her in with an irresistible pull. Inside, it was a treasure trove of dusty relics. Lina ran her fingers over strange and peculiar objects, her searching eyes seeking some hidden gem just for her.


That’s when she spotted a beautiful paintbrush. Its bristles shimmered like silver, and the handle was made of gleaming silicone, covered in a layer of dust that sparkled like glitter. When Lina held the brush, she felt an indescribable surge of energy flow through her, something she couldn’t explain. At the base of the brush, a message was inscribed:

"For the artist who turns art into destiny."


Lina had come looking for an antique, but without a second thought, she bought the brush. As soon as she held it, waves of creative energy coursed through her veins


Returning to her studio, Lina hesitantly dipped the brush into blue paint. As the first blue stroke touched the canvas, it was as if it wiped away the dark blot that had been clouding her mind. The colors began to dance; she didn’t need to think about what to paint or which colors to use. When the brush finally stopped, there before her was a masterpiece—small and large white and blue shells scattered across a seaside.


It was as though Lina’s fading art had suddenly become vibrant again. Her paintings quickly gained popularity, and art enthusiasts and color lovers were drawn to her studio. She was painting a ship with birds flying overhead, and her brush seemed to obey her every command when a man came to her for the third time to commission a painting. He was the same person who had bought her first shell painting.


The second time, this man had requested a painting similar to the first one, but with the addition of precious pearls inside the shells. His third request was also for a painting like the first, but this time, along with the pearl-filled shells, he wanted a treasure emerging from the sea.


Lina didn’t find the man or his request strange. She was simply happy that people were appreciating her work.


The next evening, she was engrossed in her art when an unexpected visitor arrived—a woman of advanced age. Her name was Sophia, and there was a deep wisdom and understanding reflected in her eyes.



"You’ve discovered a magical brush," Sophia whispered. Lina listened to the woman’s words with confusion, glancing at her brush.

"This is a tool crafted by the spirit of creativity. It awakens the true artist and reveals the hidden destinies of the universe."

Lina was listening carefully as Sophia unveiled the secret history of the paintbrush. It was the creation of an ancient civilization, one that had passed through Sophia’s hands as well and had guided great artists. Every artist had enhanced their artistic powers with this brush.

"How can it be magical, ma’am?" Lina asked in amazement.

"Haven’t you noticed how your studio has started to bloom with color? Canvas after canvas is transforming. And that man who came yesterday for the third time, he will return for the fourth. First, he got empty shells, then shells with pearls. Perhaps now he will get the treasure from the sea along with them."

"In that case, I will paint an entire city of dreams for myself!" Lina said joyfully.

"No, with this brush, you can achieve the height of your art, and through your art, you can change people’s destinies. But its magic is not for your personal use," Sophia refused.

"It’s enough for me that I’m mastering my art and creating my own identity," Lina replied, without any sadness.

"But very few people understand the magic of these paintings," Lina addressed the woman.

"The paintings only become reality for those who truly appreciate art, have strong faith in destiny, and commission the painting with a sincere heart for their loved ones," Sophia explained

Lina continued her journey of creation with the magical brush. She realized that the magic wasn’t in the brush or the art itself but in the connections the brush created. Even those who once disliked Lina began to appreciate her art.


Many people’s dreams started coming true, but only the dreams of those who were true at heart. When the general public learned that Lina's paintings could become reality, even people with no interest in art or love for colors came to her with their desires. For them, art was a waste of time. The paintings Lina created for them remained just paintings and didn’t turn into reality.


These people began to criticize Lina, claiming that the painting hadn’t been made by her hand or with the magical brush, which is why it hadn’t come to life. They accused her of only making paintings for those who gave her large sums of money or respect.


At first, these remarks bothered Lina, but over time, news of her magical paintings spread far and wide. Years passed, and her studio became a place where people’s destinies were transformed, while Lina’s art grew like a mighty tree. She became so skilled in her craft that she could paint with her eyes blindfolded, choosing the perfect colors.


When Lina painted a butterfly for a girl, the girl’s life became as beautiful and colorful as a butterfly’s wings.

A girl who had Lina paint a ring was proposed to by her boyfriend with an extremely expensive ring.

A boy had a painting made of his lost love, and he was overjoyed when, by some miracle, he found her again.

Another boy’s father had died in an accident when the boy was just a few years old. The father had wanted to tell his son something before his death but hadn’t had the time. The boy desperately wanted to know that secret. He had a photo painting made in which both he and his father were standing by the sea, talking in the present day. His wish came true when, in a dream, he saw his father, who finally told him the unfinished message.


While the brush was a source of happiness for many, there were also those who grew increasingly hostile towards Lina when their paintings failed to become reality.

Among those people was a man named Marcus, who had commissioned a painting of a person with a dagger lodged in their chest. This was a troubling situation for Lina. She knew that Marcus did not appreciate art; he only wanted the painting for his malicious intentions, and she was certain it wouldn’t come true. Nonetheless, she created the painting using her old, non-magical brush.


Marcus commissioned the same painting four times, and one day, he arrived with a craftsman. The craftsman inspected the design and structure of Lina's magical brush, likely intending to replicate it for Marcus’s sinister purposes.


Lina anxiously watched as the craftsman held her brush, marveling at the silver-like bristles, which shone as though they had never been used. The brush was so pristine and clean.


"Where did you buy or make this brush?" the craftsman asked.


"I didn’t make it, nor did I write the inscription on it," Lina replied.


"What inscription?" Marcus and the craftsman, startled, flipped the brush around, examining it with surprise on their faces.


Lina was just as shocked. Were they unable to see the engraved inscription on the brush? she wondered.


Indeed, neither of them could see the inscription.


After that, Lina showed the brush to a few of her friends and asked if they could see any writing on it. Their response was the same: No!


Thus, the replication of the brush began. Alchemists experimented with powerful potions, trying to infuse an ordinary brush with the extraordinary power to change destinies. They even added magical herbs to their formulas, but all their efforts failed. The replicated brushes lacked the glow, the soul, and the depth of the magical one.


Marcus once again stood before Lina.


"My craftsmen studied the composition of the paintbrush. They used the same materials, the same fibers, but the brush remains powerless. What is the secret of this magical brush?"


Lina’s smile was as deep as the secret of the brush.

"The magic isn't in the brush or the artist but in the intent, emotions, and true character. The collective spirit of all the artists who have used this brush resides within it. You can never replicate that," Lina explained.


"Fine, but at least lend me the brush. I'll have my artists create the painting," Marcus suggested.


"But how can I trust you?" Lina hesitated.


"Are you afraid I’ll switch the brush?" Marcus asked.


"I fear many things—that it might get lost, switched, or broken," Lina replied.


"It could even be stolen," Marcus smiled slyly, causing worry to spread across Lina’s face.


"Don’t worry, little girl. It was just a joke," Marcus laughed and left. Several months passed, and Marcus didn’t return, much to Lina’s relief.


One evening, as Lina was deeply immersed in her work, a young man in poor condition approached her.


"I'm Joel. I've come from afar after hearing about your fame." The young man’s beard was as beautiful as the magical brush itself.


"Will you paint something for me?"


"Of course, Joel. What kind of painting would you like?"


"Of the brush in your hand."


His request stunned Lina; she had never imagined such a thing.


"Actually, I’m an artist myself, but it feels like art has abandoned me. I can’t even paint a single leaf. Maybe this brush will bring my art back to life, and I can climb the ladder of success. But I have no money to pay for the painting."


"Oh, I value you. I create paintings for free for many people. You may try painting something for yourself with my brush," Lina kindly said, handing him her magical brush. He seemed different from the others.


Joel grasped the brush as if it were water for the thirsty and carefully examined it.


Lina’s eyes widened in astonishment when Joel touched the inscription on the brush and said, "For the artist in search of truth."


"What an amazing line," he added.


"Can you see it?" Lina asked suddenly.


"Of course. It says, 'For the artist in search of truth'," Joel repeated the inscription.


This means that with each artist, this brush has carried different qualities and a different inscription,” Lena said,

“As soon as it touched Jules' hand, the brush's inscription changed."

At that moment, Lina made a profound decision. Her artistic career had advanced far enough. She handed this valuable tool to the young artist and said, "Perhaps you will be the one to protect this legacy properly."


"I still have my old brush, and now it’s time for me to use it again."


Joel’s eyes welled up with tears.


Lina patted his shou

lder and said, "Sometimes, all it takes is one extraordinary thing to change everything

The End

Writing by Amsaal




September 26, 2024 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.