“The persistent Beggar” by Shiraz Rahim

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Write a story about someone sticking to a course of action even when it’s clearly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Contemporary Speculative

“The Man” lives amongst the lush green mountains, with an abundance of vegetation as food and in a quaint little house that appeals to any traveller, such as Nimal, who cherishes the simplicities of life. Nimal loves the man’s little hut, for it caters to the minimalistic person who enjoys the tranquil and peaceful life, away from any noisy town or city. It became Nimal’s duty to visit “the Man” on his many long journeys to his plantation from his hometown, and “the Man” never fails to offer Nimal a sweetmeat and a nice cup of hot tea in a spotlessly clean cup. The beverage and chatter are great mood boosters at an elevation that carries a chill and a mist in the air. Nimal cherishes these moments every time he visits “the Man”.

“The Man” was never short for any food or dry rations and is extremely generous in welcoming the people from the village with that cup of warm tea and sometimes a tasty biscuit or fruit. He takes pride in talking to them about anything and everything whilst sipping that tea. The children of the village admired him too, for “the Man” treated them with the same respect and attention he treats their adults. “The Man” is always clean and dressed appropriately.

“The Man” cultivates his land, and the crops are numerous. Milk his cow that he almost worships and indulges in beekeeping as a hobby. The garden is immaculately clean and impeccably manicured, as does a professional gardener, with an abundance of tropical fruit at any time of the year. It is large, colourful, rich and most eye-catching.

On the day of the full moon (Poya - in Sinhalese), all temples come to life and the devotees gather around these peaceful places for religious observances attired in pure white. They come in absolute devotion and the notion of giving (charities) takes precedence for pious reasons. The Buddhists believe in the practice of giving to be sacred, which they believe carries eventual values in their afterlife.

Nimal, who was stranded one day in his estate due to travel restrictions imposed during COVID on a Poya day, decided to visit a very popular temple in the metropolis located close to his farmland. The crowds were limited but were present. For Nimal, as like many other Buddhist, Poya is as a sacred day to any other and indulges in the rituals with total dedication. He too believes in the notion of “giving” and proceeds to the place where the needy tend to be seated near the temple requesting handouts. Nimal approaches the beggars and to his shock and sheer disbelief finds “the Man” who offers tea to be there, begging.

Nimal took a step back to recollect his thoughts and footing.

“Was this true or is he dreaming, or did he not see what he saw. Is this the same person that generously offers him that wonderful cup of tea? It cannot be and should not be so. Or is it?”

Nimal took a walk around the temple, for he wanted that time to synchronize his thoughts with the present happenings. The surrounding activities were a blur, and in a daze, he sits down. “Was I duped all this time?” This guy whom he saw to be begging has almost everything in life and he still opts to beg. Especially, on such a sacred day and from innocent worshipers who have come in search of divine intervention during this period of a pandemic.

“Disgusting” …. He thought.

Getting his courage back, he decides to confront the man “The beggar.”

First, Nimal wanted to be sure that it was the same person that he believed “the beggar “to be.

Once he was sure, Nimal with so much confusion, anger and with the humiliation of being betrayed, whispered to the beggar in a low voice.

“Hey, what do you think you are doing?”

“Isn’t this blasphemous and immoral on a day like this?”

“Aren’t you ashamed of yourself?”

“Why have you lied to all the people you know and cared for, and trusted you?”

The beggar, showing no remorse, guilt, or embarrassment, stood up from his seated position. Giving Nimal a very relaxed glance, he asks Nimal to visit him at his home the next day, as he had understood that the current place, whilst realizing Nimal’s anger, was not the appropriate time to give reasons for his actions.

Nimal, at home that night, did not have his usual comforting sleep. The day’s happenings were not to his liking. He was angry for what he saw and sad that people condescend to such terrible ways of trying to cheat other human beings. “The beggar” did not even attempt to conceal his identity.

The next morning, Nimal was anxious and decided to visit this beggar at his place soon after breakfast. After an unappetizing meal, he hurriedly drove to the beggar’s place.

As Nimal approached the beggar’s home, he sees two children happily run out of the beggar’s garden with a bottle of milk and another village woman walking out of his hut with a bushel of rice.

Nimal was intrigued.

Seeing Nimal approaching, the beggar brought his customary tea and offered it to Nimal. Reluctantly Nimal accepts but declines the sweetmeats out of sheer anger. Before Nimal could speak, the beggar begins with a calm voice.

“On Poya days, people become charitable, and I become a beggar. I make use of the devotee’s generosity and beg near the temple, as not all can do it. I have nothing to gain, nor do I have anything to prove or lose. I am just a humble man who takes pleasure in seeing other people happy, like those two children who went with the milk. The children were glad that they have the milk, but what made them smile was the two packets of chocolate biscuits I gave them that I bought with the money I collected at the temple. The villagers are rich in their hearts, but not wealthy to buy that biscuit with chocolate in it. Neither will they beg for it. That is what I can do…. Beg.”

“If one looks at it from my perspective, I am a person who takes it from the rich who are willing to give and provide it to the poor who cannot ask. I am like a vessel that transports happiness from the giver to the receiver. Perhaps, delighting both groups.”

“I do realize that I have everything that a human requires to live. However, I do not have the riches to see those children laugh at the sight of a biscuit. Since I am not robbing anyone or hurting anyone, I shall never stop begging. Cos, I do it for that smile.”

Nimal, with many unanswered questions leaves the beggar’s house whilst contemplating the consequences of his refusal to stop his Poya day shenanigan.

Nimal also thinks… “Should I be judging?”

May 21, 2021 16:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.