0 comments

Happy Holiday LGBTQ+

River stared at the door of their sister’s house. They took a deep breath and reached toward the doorbell. They slowly pressed the button, then pulled back to wipe their hands on their jeans. For a moment, they wished they’d taken their boyfriend’s offer to join them.

But then, the door opened. River smiled nervously and ran a hand through their long, red hair. “H-hey, Mom.” She stared at them, tears shining in her eyes. “I’m so--” River took a deep breath and wiped away their tears. “I’m so, so sorry I ran away like that. I--” Mom hugged them tightly. They pulled her closer and pressed their face into her hair. “I miss you so much,” they sobbed.

“Shh, it’s okay, baby, I love you, and I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me.” Mom let go of River and sniffled. “Come say hi to your sister,” she ordered. River nodded and followed her inside. The house smelled wonderful. They quickly asked for directions to the kitchen, then ran there. “Olivia?” She turned around, an apple pie in her hands. Olivia stared at River for a second. Then, she kicked the oven closed, set the pie on the counter, walked over to them, and crossed her arms. They took a deep breath.

“Look, sis, I know you’re mad at me, and you have every right to be, but--” Olivia laughed.

“Shut up and hug me, asshole.” River squeezed her tightly.

“I thought you’d hate me,” they breathed.

“Well, it’s not every day your estranged sibling comes home for Thanksgiving. Does Dad know yet?”

“Mom said she’d tell him.”

“Well, this’ll be fun. C’mon, I’ll show you your room. You can put your stuff down.” River nodded and followed Olivia up the stairs.

***

“I can’t believe this,” Dad said as he paced the living room. Mom’s eyes were on the ground, her hands folded in her lap. “I could have dealt with you being gay. But this…. Jeremy, what did we do wrong?”

“You didn’t do anything, Dad. This is who I’ve always been, And, I want you to call me River. Please.” Dad turned to face them.

“No. That’s not your name.” River turned to Mom.

“Please,” they begged. She shook her head.

“Just listen to your father,” she whispered. River closed their eyes as Dad continued to talk at them.

Then, they were up in their room, shoving clothes into a backpack. They ripped a page out of their notebook and scribbled a note before shoving it into the bag. They packed a few more essentials, zippered the bag, pulled on their shoes, and sat by the window, waiting. At midnight, their phone dinged, and they opened their window. The air was crisp and cool, and the stars were out. The perfect night for an escape.

River climbed down the ladder and ran to Xavier. He caught them in his arms and placed a kiss on their mouth. “Are you ready to go,” he asked. River nodded. Xavier handed him a helmet and climbed onto his motorcycle. River put on the helmet, took their place behind Xavier, and wrapped their arms around his waist. They buried their face in the crook of his neck as he took off towards their future.

Then, Mom and Dad were screaming at each other. Olivia was sitting on the couch in their old family home, sobbing. Dad turned around and stormed out. Then, the scene replayed itself until Dad walked out and never--

***

River gasped as they woke up. Olivia’s spare bedroom was dark and suffocatingly silent. River got up and walked to the kitchen. They pulled their phone out of their pocket and called Xavier. The phone rang twice before he picked up.

“Nightmare,” he murmured in his deep, rumbling voice. River laughed.

“How’d you guess?”

“Dr. Cory said they might start again if you were stressed enough.”

“I mean…. It’s just….” River sighed. “Dad. And his new wife.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me there? I can be on a plane in half an hour, Riv.”

“No, no, it’s okay. I think things will go better if it’s just me.”

“Alright. But, remember, if you need me--”

“You’re just a flight away. I know, darling.”

“What’re you doing up?” River turned to see Olivia standing behind them. They snorted at her bedhead, pink bathrobe, and her mug that read, “I do not spew profanities. I enunciate them clearly, like a fucking lady.”

“I’ve gotta go. Olivia just woke up. I love you!” Xavier chuckled.

“Love you, too.” River hung up. Olivia walked to the sink and filled her cup with water, then stuck it in the microwave. For a moment, the only sound was the humming of her water being warmed up. Then--

“I’m still mad at you, y’know.” River sighed.

“Yeah, I know.”

“I mean, how could you just leave? Mom and Dad completely fell apart. I basically had to raise myself until I graduated because Mom would drink herself into a coma every night and Dad never came home until at least midnight. And then, a month after you left, we find out that he was shagging Chloe and wanted a divorce--”

“Oh, come on, we both know he was cheating on Mom long before I ran away.”

“Yeah, well, if you hadn’t left, he wouldn’t have even considered abandoning his wife and daughter and moving in with fucking Chloe. But, he did, and that entire time I never heard a word from you. You completely vanished when I needed you most, and now you just waltz back here and expect me to be fine with having to sit and watch you, Dad, and Chloe try and awkwardly talk about anything but your new life in Massachusetts?”

“No, Olivia. I never expected that at all.” River and Olivia stared at each other for a few minutes. “You really hate Chloe, don’t you,” they said.

“So much!” They looked at each other and burst out laughing. “The least you could have done was bring Xavier.”

“He’d be here right now if I wasn’t such an idiot.” Olivia snorted.

“Damn right.” River sighed, and the pair fell silent.

“Look, Olivia, I’m really sorry for everything I put you through.” She sighed and rested her head on their shoulder.

“Shut up and hug me, asshole.”

River pulled their hair into a bun , then let it down again. They tried a braid, then a ponytail before settling back into a bun. Then, they had to agonize over everything else. Sleeves rolled up, or no? Should they wear a tie, and if so, which one? They groaned and bonked their head on the mirror. Why did this have to be so difficult?

There was a knock on the door, then Olivia opened it. “Mom’ll be back with Dad, Chloe, and Xavier in two hours.” River’s head shot up.

“Xavier’s going to be here?”

“Yup. I called him last night. Or, this morning? After you went back to bed. I like him, and if I have to watch you try to make small talk with everyone else alone, I’m going to lose it.”

“Oh, God, oh, God, oh, God.” Panic began to engulf them like a dark tidal wave. Their breath began to quicken and their heart started pounding. “This is going to be awful. Dad’s going to call me my deadname, then I’ll have to correct him, and Chloe’ll ask questions, and Xavier being there will annoy Dad more, and--”

“Hey, hey, hey.” Olivia guided River to the bed. “I’ve got you, River. Now, name five things you can see.”

“Y-you, mirror, my suitcase, carpet, door.”

“Good. Four you can feel.”

“Bed, pants, floor, hair.”

“Three you can hear.”

“The neighbor’s dog, cars, my voice.”

“Two you can smell.”

“Roast turkey, your weird shampoo.”

“And one thing you can taste.”

“Mint.” River took a deep breath. “Sorry, Olivia, I just--”

“Care too much.”

“I don’t want to provoke Dad.” Olivia snorted.

“Who cares what Dad thinks? I don’t! That’s why I invited Xavier instead of making my stupid boyfriend drag his ass home.”

“Where is Mike, anyway.”

“Some business thing apparently no one else can do. He’s probably in a hotel with some whore, but hey, what can a girl do?”

“Dump that clown?”

“True.” Olivia started going through River’s suitcase. She threw a blue button down shirt at him “Put this on. I have a skirt and some earrings that’ll look hot with it. Leave the sleeves down, if you put on a tie, you’re dead to me, and I’ll do your hair when I get back.” River laughed.

“Okay.”

River ran to Xavier and threw their arms around him.

“Did you miss me,” he asked, mocha eyes sparkling.

“So much,” River sighed. They kissed him, the stubble on Xavier’s chin scratching their face. Dad cleared his throat. River and Xavier turned to look at him. Dad held open his arms.

“Welcome home, son.” Chloe elbowed him and whispered something in his ear. Dad nodded.

“Sorry. Welcome home, kiddo.” River gave him a tight lipped smile.

“Thanks, Dad.”

“I know it’s not our family home, and we weren’t on the best of terms when you left, but it’s good to see you again. You too, Xavier.” Xavier nodded.

“Thanks, Mr. Clark.”

“Please, call me Dalton.” Olivia clapped her hands.

“Alright, now that that’s over with, why don’t we start dinner?” Everyone made various sounds of agreement and walked into the dining room. They all took their places at the table.

“Let’s say grace,” Mom said. Everyone joined hands and closed their eyes. “Lord, thank you for this food we are about to receive, and bless the hands that prepared it. Help us be grateful for everything we have and let us keep those who are less fortunate in our hearts. And thank you, so much, for bringing our child, River, back to us. Help us mend our relationship with them and allow it to stay strong as the years go on. In your name we pray. Amen.”

“Amen.” Olivia turned to Xavier.

“So, Xavier, when are you going to stop dragging your feet and put a ring on it?” Everyone burst out laughing. Xavier smiled at a blushing River.

“Soon, I hope.” A chorus of awws rose from around the tabe. River’s face turned an even deeper shade of red.

“C-come on, guys, let’s just eat,” they pleaded. Everyone laughed once more and began to fill their plates. River sighed and rested their head on Xavier’s shoulder.

It was good to be home.

November 24, 2020 00:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.