5 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

Lucas Mercer was more than just a magician in the small town of Everwood; he was a legend. His performances were the highlight of every local festival, birthday party, and community event. Known for his charismatic smile and mysterious aura, Lucas could make the most skeptical audience believe in magic. His tricks seemed to defy the laws of physics and logic. Objects vanished and reappeared in impossible places, he escaped from locked containers in seconds, and his illusions left even seasoned professionals scratching their heads.

What the townspeople didn’t know was that Lucas’s magic was real, but not in the way they imagined. From a young age, Lucas discovered he had the extraordinary ability to pause time. When time was frozen, he could move, interact with objects, and set up his tricks in ways that made the impossible seem real. This ability allowed him to create seamless illusions that no one could decipher.

Lucas used his power not just for entertainment, but also for small acts of kindness around town. He would pause time to fix minor injustices, pay a parking meter, or prevent minor accidents. While unnoticed, these acts contributed to the overall harmony and safety of Everwood.

When Lucas wasn’t performing, he lived a relatively quiet life in a modest house at the edge of town. His home was filled with books on magic, both historical and contemporary, and various props and gadgets he used in his shows. Every morning, he had breakfast at Maggie’s Diner, where Maggie Collins always saved him a slice of his favorite pie. Their conversations were filled with town gossip and Maggie’s latest culinary experiments.

“Got a new recipe for you today, Lucas,” Maggie would say, sliding a plate of something deliciously experimental in front of him. Lucas would always take a bite with an exaggerated expression of contemplation, before breaking into a smile and giving her a thumbs-up.

Then there was Jenny Lewis, a single mother whose son Sammy idolized Lucas. Sammy would visit Lucas’s house often, eager to learn new tricks and practice under Lucas’s patient guidance.

“Show me the one with the disappearing coin again!” Sammy would plead, eyes wide with excitement. Lucas would chuckle and oblige, the boy’s laughter and wonder reminding him of why he loved magic so much.

Despite his secret, Lucas’s relationships with the townspeople were genuine and warm. He was a beloved figure, not just for his magic, but for his kindness and willingness to help anyone in need. He’d often find little ways to brighten someone’s day—like leaving a flower on a doorstep or paying for a stranger’s coffee.

His life was a delicate balance of normalcy and the extraordinary, a dance he performed with grace and a hint of mystery. Lucas knew that his gift was both a blessing and a burden, but he chose to use it to bring joy and safety to his community. Little did he know that this balance was on the brink of being shattered, setting the stage for a series of events challenging everything he stood for.

One sunny Saturday afternoon, the tranquility of Everwood was shattered when Jenny’s son, Sammie, disappeared from the park. Jenny’s frantic cries drew immediate attention, and soon, the entire town was involved in the search. The park, usually filled with laughter and play, became chaotic and fearful. Parents held their children close, and neighbors formed search parties, scouring every inch of the park and surrounding areas.

Lucas was at the farmers’ market, talking to Maggie about his next performance, when he heard the commotion. The usual hum of the market was abruptly replaced by shouts and the urgent calling of Sammie’s name. Lucas’s heart sank as he saw Jenny, tears streaming down her face, desperately pleading for help. The sight of her anguish and the rising panic among the townspeople struck a chord deep within him.

He couldn’t stand by while a child was in danger. Driven by a deep sense of duty and compassion, Lucas knew he had to act. He excused himself from Maggie, who looked at him with concern and discreetly moved behind a market stall. In the shadow of the wooden structure, Lucas took a deep breath and concentrated.

The bustling activity around him froze. Time stood still. The sounds of fear and chaos were replaced by an eerie, yet familiar, silence. Lucas stepped out from behind the stall, surveying the frozen scene. Parents’ faces were etched with worry, searchers were mid-step, and Jenny’s tear-streaked face was a picture of despair.

Lucas started his search at the playground, examining every possible hiding spot. He looked under slides, inside playhouses, and behind swings, making sure to check each area thoroughly. The playground, now eerily silent and still, felt like a surreal landscape frozen in a moment of panic. Moving outward, he inspected the bushes and trees surrounding the playground, parting branches, and looking for any sign of disturbance.

His movements were precise and calculated. He then moved through the market area, weaving through the frozen crowd and peering under tables, behind displays, and into storage areas. His keen eyes caught small details others might miss—a discarded toy, a piece of fabric snagged on a branch, tiny footprints leading away from the playground. Each clue built a trail that led him closer to Sammie.

Following the trail of footprints, Lucas ventured into the woods at the edge of the park. The air was cooler and the light dimmed under the canopy of trees. He moved quickly but carefully, scanning the ground for any further clues. His heart pounded as he considered the possible dangers Sammie could be facing. After several tense minutes, he saw faint footprints.

Lucas followed the footprints to a small hollow between two large rocks, almost invisible unless you knew exactly where to look. There, he found Sammie, lost and confused, scared but unharmed. Relief washed over him as he hid in the tree line. After unpausing time, he called out to Sammie and stepped into his sight.

“Hey, Sammie, did you get lost?” he asked, lifting him into his arms.

With Sammie safely in his arms, Lucas hurried back to the edge of the park. The moment he stepped out with Sammie, the world changed back from despair to euphoria. The townspeople saw them and erupted in cheers and relief. Jenny ran towards them, grabbing her son and crying tears of joy, her relief palpable.

However, the speed of Lucas’s rescue did not go unnoticed. Sheriff Mike Thompson, a tall, stern man with a keen eye for detail, approached him, his eyes filled with suspicion. “Lucas, that was incredibly fast. How did you manage to find him so quickly?” he asked, his tone more inquisitive than congratulatory.

Lucas shrugged, trying to remain calm despite the growing tension. “I just followed a hunch. Saw some footprints leading into the woods and decided to check it out. Got lucky, I guess,” he said, hoping his explanation would suffice.

But as the sheriff and his deputies began to examine the area where Sammie was found, they discovered several unsettling clues. Numerous footprints matching Lucas’s shoes were scattered around the scene. The sheriff’s mind raced, connecting the dots to a situation that never existed.

Later, while Sammie was just being taken by ambulance, Sheriff Thompson pulled Lucas aside. “Lucas, there were a lot of your footprints out there and you found that boy awful quick. It looks like you were there longer than you said,” Sheriff Thompson said, his voice heavy with implication.

The murmurs among the crowd grew louder. People who once viewed Lucas as a hero now looked at him with suspicion. Whispers spread through the throng, suggesting that he might have staged the kidnapping for attention or other nefarious reasons. Lucas felt the weight of their doubts bearing down on him, the joyous relief of the rescue quickly overshadowed by a looming sense of betrayal and impending danger.

The next day, as Lucas was packing up his magic equipment at home, he heard a knock at the door. Peering through the window, he saw Sheriff Thompson and two deputies standing on his porch, handcuffs at the ready. Lucas’s heart raced. He knew the evidence had mounted against him, and the reality of the situation began to sink in.

Seeing the handcuffs and feeling the weight of the situation, Lucas panicked. He knew that being taken in for questioning might expose his secret talent or worse, lead to false imprisonment. As the sheriff knocked again, more insistently this time, Lucas made a desperate decision. He paused time once more. The world around him froze, the deputies and sheriff caught mid-motion.

Lucas quickly assessed his options. He moved the deputies and the sheriff slightly out of their positions, causing them to stumble when time resumed. He fled down the street and picked a spot to watch. As he unpaused time, the officers were left confused and disoriented on his porch.

Lucas drove out of Everwood, his heart heavy with fear and uncertainty. The familiar streets of his hometown faded in the rearview mirror, replaced by the unknown expanse of the open road. He knew he couldn’t return home, at least not until he cleared his name. He had become a fugitive, constantly on the move, using his ability to evade capture. He stayed in motels, abandoned buildings, and the occasional in his car, always a step ahead of law enforcement.

Each morning, Lucas woke with a jolt, the dread of discovery pushing him to keep moving. His once peaceful life was now a series of hurried escapes and tense hideouts. The days blended into a blur of highways and fleeting safe-havens.

Lucas’s days were filled with the struggle to survive while staying ahead of the police. He hacked into police databases to stay informed about the manhunt and used stolen Wi-Fi and public libraries under assumed names. His ability to pause time became his greatest asset, allowing him to gather supplies without being seen and slip away from traps set by the authorities.

Every day brought new challenges and close calls. In one town, he narrowly avoided capture when he noticed a plainclothes officer watching the motel he had checked into. He paused time, quickly packed his belongings, and slipped out the back, leaving the officer bewildered when time resumed.

In another instance, he needed money to keep moving. He paused time, entered a closed convenience store, and took only what he needed, leaving cash on the counter to avoid being labeled a thief. His moral compass wavered, but his survival instincts were stronger.

Lucas’s desperation and resourcefulness kept him going. Each town, each new face, brought a fresh wave of anxiety and a fleeting hope that he might find a way to clear his name. But deep down, a gnawing fear grew stronger—the fear that he might never stop running, that he might forever be a fugitive, hunted and alone.

As time passed, Lucas’s focus shifted from proving his innocence to simply surviving. The initial shock and desperation gave way to a cold, calculated determination. He began to use his abilities more ruthlessly, taking what he needed and manipulating situations to his advantage. The line between right and wrong blurred as his primary goal became avoiding capture at all costs.

Lucas no longer hesitated to use his time-pausing ability for personal gain. He broke into stores and took supplies without leaving any payment, his moral compass gradually eroding under the pressure of constant evasion. In one instance, he paused time to slip into a grocery store. This time, he took food but also cleaned out a few tills at registers and even scored more in the office safe. It was luck that the office manager had just started closing the safe just as Lucas paused time.

His interactions with people became calculated and distant. Lucas avoided forming any bonds, knowing that attachments could be exploited by those hunting him. He used his charm sparingly, only to extract information or gain temporary shelter. Trust was a luxury he could no longer afford.

Lucas’s world narrowed to a singular focus: survival. The once-beloved magician was now a shadow, a ghost slipping through towns, leaving no trace behind. The ruthlessness that had crept into his actions marked a profound change in him. He was no longer the kind-hearted performer who used his gift for good. Survival had become his only law, and he would do whatever it took to remain free, even if it meant sacrificing the very essence of who he once was.

He began to exploit his ability in other ways. He would pause time to manipulate evidence and situations to mislead the cops in whatever town he was in. Each move was calculated, each step designed to keep the police off his trail. He would pause time, enter a crime scene, and leave misleading clues that pointed the authorities in the wrong direction. A discarded glove, a misplaced footprint, or a false trail of breadcrumbs—these were his tools of deception.

His activities grew to framing others for minor crimes to throw off the authorities just for the simple reason of creating chaos. In one instance, he paused time to plant stolen goods in an unsuspecting bystander's car, ensuring the police’s attention was diverted. The guilt of ruining innocent lives grew thinner and thinner over time.

Soon, the transformation was complete. Lucas Mercer, the once-beloved magician who used his abilities to enchant and protect his community, was gone. In his place stood a man driven by a singular purpose: to remain free, no matter the cost. The warmth in his heart had been replaced by a cold, steely resolve. His journey from hero to villain was marked by the shadows he now inhabited, a fugitive always on the run, his soul increasingly tainted by the darkness of his actions.

He now thought of himself as The Phantom. He saw the world through the eyes of The Phantom. Lucas Mercer slowly and gradually died. The townspeople of Everwood spoke of him as a tragic figure, a hero turned villain by circumstances beyond his control. Stories of his transformation spread, becoming local legends—a cautionary tale about the thin line between good and evil. Some remembered him fondly, clinging to memories of his kindness and the magic he brought into their lives. Others viewed him with fear and disdain, seeing only the criminal he had become.

As the years passed, The Phantom became increasingly isolated. The burden of his actions and the constant need to stay one step ahead took a heavy toll. He no longer recognized the face in the mirror, the lines of worry and the hardened gaze a stark reminder of his journey from beloved magician to eternal fugitive.

In the end, The Phantom accepted his fate. The man who once sought to protect and entertain had been consumed by the need to survive, to create chaos, and to retaliate against the world.


June 01, 2024 01:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Sophia Aletheia
16:07 Jun 08, 2024

I love this story. Tight, well written, and most importantly--realistic. When people don't understand something, they often choose fear and control over willingness to listen. Very relatable. And you brought it full circle within wordcount. Nice work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lee Kendrick
22:33 Jun 08, 2024

Martin great story. Loved how the magician manipulated time to survive. Lots of suspense as the police got closer to finding him. Sad that his good intentions of saving a child backfired forcing him to always be on the edge. Changing his moral compass just to survive. Well written with smooth transitions taking you through the story. Best of luck in your story telling.

Reply

Martin Maynard
23:01 Jun 08, 2024

Thank you. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
10:42 Jun 02, 2024

A moving portrait of the corrosive effects of pressure and isolation on even the strongest moral compass. Nuanced character development, well done.

Reply

Martin Maynard
17:25 Jun 03, 2024

Thanks. I'm glad you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.