11 comments

Adventure High School Friendship

I turned on the tv one morning, hoping to see something good on TV. As soon as I changed the channel, I saw my classmate Sabrina making an announcement. 

“Good morning, people of L.A!!!! I am inviting you all from my school to join me at my house for a party! I know it has been a tough year for all of us, and now is your time to sit back and relax! Join me at eight, and text me to tell me you will be there! If I don’t hear from you, I will text you! I want you ALL to come. Nobody is allowed to miss it!”

“Excuse me, weirdo, I am trying to report the news. Can I have that back?”

“In a second, David. As I was saying, be there! I love you L.A!!!”

“For those of you going to the party, no red cups, or drugs,” David said. 

“This is the weirdest news channel ever.” My mom said. 

I nodded my head in agreement. 

“Are you going?” Mom asked. 

“No, I will probably just study for finals.”

“Honey, I think you should go. Maybe you can make some new friends.”

“I’m not much of a party person, mom.”

“When I was your age, I would go to all the parties. That’s where I met your father, we are high school sweethearts.”

“I know, you told me a million times.”

“I won’t make you go, but it would make me happy if you did.”

I looked at my mom, who looked hopeful that I agreed to go.

“Wouldn’t you rather have me study?”

“We wouldn’t be having this conversation if I wanted you to study.”

“Fine Mom, I will go. But if I feel uncomfortable I am leaving.”

“Deal.” Mom said. 

I pulled out my phone and texted Sabrina to tell her that I was going, but only for a little while because I hate parties. She laughed and told me that I would be there longer. 

I parked my car on the street and saw a mansion appear before my eyes. The house was beautiful. The house consisted mostly of glass, and all the walls were white. It was so bright that you can see someone's face very clearly. I began to feel insecure, but I kept an open mind. 

“Rose, you’re here! I thought you would be studying or something.”

“I was planning to,” I admitted. 

“Trust me, you will have a good time.”

I looked around awkwardly and looked down at the floor.

“Oh honey, don’t be nervous. Go dance to the music!”

I knew that I was a good dancer, I danced my whole life. I didn’t want to be cocky though, I wanted to stay as far away from the spotlight as possible. I was only here to make my mom happy. I saw the people dancing and it made me cringe. They were stiff as hell, and I knew I could do better. 

Suddenly, the song Save the Last Dance For Me came on by Michel Buble, and I couldn’t help myself from dancing. 

I danced freely with all the dance moves I learned from my experience in dance class, that I didn’t realize everyone was cheering me on. They all clapped and I kept going. I didn’t want to stop dancing, as I was becoming popular from something I was good at. People began talking to each other saying things like, “I didn’t know she can dance!” Or “Wow, she is amazing!” 

I began to do some twirls, and then the moonwalk. People took out their phones to record, and I felt like I was famous. I saw Sabrina smiling on the side of the room, and nodded her head in the reassurance that she wanted me to keep exciting the crowd. I started singing along with the song, and someone turned the music off so they would be able to hear my voice solo. It turns out they loved it, I guess singing in the shower paid off. When I finished, they begged me to keep going, but the energy I had left my body and I was out of breath. I told them I needed a break and promised them I wouldn't go anywhere. People scrambled to get me a drink, others offered to give me a massage. It felt good to be cared about, and I convinced myself that parties weren’t as bad as I thought they were. 

“What song can I put on for you, Rose.” The DJ said. 

I thought for a minute, and then I turned to the people. 

“What song do you want me to dance to!” I yelled. 

They all screamed the song, I can’t remember to forget you, By Shakira. That was one of my favorite songs! I got on stage and mimicked the way Shakira dances and they loved it. Some even tried to follow what I was doing, and I was having the best time of my life. Many of them stuck their bellies out as I did a belly dance, and it was funny to see them try and attempt it. They pleaded for me to sing, and told me my voice was beautiful. I sang along with the song and danced the night away. At the end of the night, many of them begged to exchange phone numbers with me, I gave my contact to anyone that wanted it. 

I went up to Sabrina who was in the kitchen all by herself. 

“Thank you, Sabrina. I had a really fun night, and it wouldn’t be possible without you.”

Sabrina nodded her head and wiped her tired eyes. She rested her head in her hand as she looked at the mess the people made. I looked at the mess, and back at her. It felt wrong to leave her like that. 

“Hey Sabrina, I can help you clean this.”

“Don’t worry, I will take care of it. You did enough for one night, go rest.”

“I don’t usually like being the center of attention, I apologize for stealing the show.”

“Don’t apologize. The only reason I bothered inviting everyone is that nobody wanted to go to my house before. They think I am a loser. You made them want to come here, thank you for that.”

“I feel bad leaving you like this, so I don’t care if you never invite me again. I am helping you clean.”

I walked over to the cans and began to pick them up one by one. I looked over at Sabrina who passed out on the kitchen counter and figured she would feel relieved if she woke up and everything was clean. When I was done cleaning, I left my number on the counter and went home. Sometimes doing things that are out of your comfort zone can have a big impact on your life, and this was certainly the best day of my life. 

May 09, 2021 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Cole Lane
21:49 May 10, 2021

This was beautiful! You know when you read a house party scene, especially when the MC is reluctant to go and you prepare for some dude saying something awful, or spilling his drink on her, or lighting the kitchen on fire? ;). For once, that guy stayed home!! lol! I will say the ending was really the important part to me. We saw into Rose a little more, who she was inside. She was the star of the night, that is awesome, but she also stayed after to clean up, that showed some real character. You wrapped it up with a great theme 'Sometimes doi...

Reply

Rose Quartz
00:05 May 11, 2021

Thank you so so so so so much for taking the time to read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
02:02 May 10, 2021

Impressive...!

Reply

Rose Quartz
19:31 May 10, 2021

not sure what you mean, but thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Owen
12:49 May 24, 2021

Enjoyable read.

Reply

Rose Quartz
18:03 May 26, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
19:05 May 16, 2021

I laughed when David calls Sabrina a weirdo. Nice description of the mansion! Who said, “Rose, you’re here! I thought you would be studying or something."? I thought it was her friend, but she calls Rose ”Honey.”, but other than that, it was a great story! GREAT JOB!

Reply

Rose Quartz
19:32 May 16, 2021

THANKS!!!

Reply

Charlie Murphy
20:06 May 16, 2021

You're welcome. Can you read mine?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
06:26 May 11, 2021

This is amazing!! Great job:)

Reply

Rose Quartz
18:03 May 26, 2021

thx!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.