4 comments

Fantasy

Finally it was dinner time. I was so hungry since 7:00 and right now it was 8:00. All this time I was watching TV because the dinner wasn’t ready yet. Now I am having my dinner which is soup. Well, this is a soup filled with beans and sprouts. So, it makes my tummy full immediately. When I finished eating I went to my room and set my clock to 5:30 and when I was about to turn the lights off, I realized that Daylight saving starts from tomorrow. I took my clock and set it a 1 hour ahead and it made a weird buzzing sound but I ignored it and turned off the light, after that I was busy sleeping. 



When I woke up, I looked at my alarm clock. It showed 6:30, so it was 5:30 actual time. I opened my window and a burst of sunlight burned my eyes and filled the room with brightness. This was quite a queer thing to happen at 5:30. There were so many cars going by and a lot of people were walking on the sidewalk. I thought everyone in the neighbourhood woke up early because it was the first day of daylight saving. But, the bright sunlight still bewildered me. Why would the sun be so bright at 5:30? I ignored the thought and I brushed my teeth. After brushing my teeth I went into the kitchen to drink some water. There my parents and my brother were having food and they looked as if they woke up ready. “ Now you come! Do you even know what the time is?” my brother asked immediately when he saw me. “ What’s wrong ? It’s just 6:40 and the three of you woke up really early.” I said. “It’s not 6:40! It's 12:40 in the afternoon!” said my brother while having his food. “And anyways why did you sleep all day yesterday?  I even came to your room to wake you up, you were so busy sleeping, so I just let you sleep and also because it was Sunday.” she said and she stopped eating and looked at me with a concerned look “ Are you feeling alright?” she asked. Of course I wasn’t! I was so confused about everything that happened : the bright sunlight, so many cars on the road, my brother saying it’s 12:40 and mainly the fact that I woke up after one day and 6 hours. But, I still said “Yes. I am all good. I was probably tired and lazy yesterday so I didn’t wake up”. “Are you sure you're feeling good?” she asked me again. “Yes! Of course I am all good mom. I am perfectly fine.”



I just went back to my room but I still didn’t understand how I went forward in time by 1 day. When I woke up in the morning it just felt like I slept only for 8 hours. I had a look at my clock. The time showed 1:40 and the seconds hand seemed to move a little faster than usual. I opened my laptop and the time in my laptop was 1:40 too. So, it was the correct time but how did I wake up after 1 day. There is no way the clock would be old because I bought it at a science fair 2 weeks ago. Wait a minute… A science fair. And when I asked the cashier about the clock he said “ Dude, you better be careful while utilizing the clock” I didn’t understand what he meant but at that time when I bought the clock I saw a note which said “ Equipment to travel through time.” I thought it was a joke and I threw the note in the recycling. But, I  set the clock ahead just for an hour and how did it go ahead by 1 day? I needed a break from all of this. I thought about the note again and now I remember that the note said it’s a joke on the very bottom with tiny letters. I had to take a nap now, I need to clear my mind.


I woke up from 2 hours of napping and everything outside the window did look like an evening. I checked the time and it was 3:50. I wanted to watch some TV, so I went to the living room and when I was about to turn the TV, my brother came and said 


“Why did you sleep again?” 

“I was tired. And I just wanted to sleep.” I said

“K. What do you want to watch?” he asked. 

“How about a movie” I suggested.

“Fine. What movie?” He asked 


And after some time we thought not to dawdle over arguing about what movie to watch and go outside and play basketball. I looked at the time and it was 4:30. Oof, I wasted one hour just by arguing about what to watch. When I was about to go into the back yard, I heard something drop from my room or my brother's room. Then my brother came and said “ I just dropped a pencil. Let’s go.” It was louder than a pencil but I ignored it.



We played for a long time and when we came in, we immediately had dinner. After dinner I went back to my room but I didn’t feel like sleeping. I wanted to have a look at my clock. It looked normal and I turned around.... It looked different. This clock’s back looked scratched. I was confused. I never scratched the back of my clock. I thought I was imagining things, so I rubbed my eyes and looked at my clock. The scratch was still there. When did someone scratch my clock? I wanted to sleep. And I also wanted to see if I can travel through time again. I thought I would fail but I still gave it a try. I set the clock an hour early, so at 4:30 because I would have extra time to come back to the normal time if I mess up. I turned off the light and I tried to sleep. But, I just couldn’t, I was just thinking how my clock got scratched. My brother doesn’t come into my room and my parents don’t do things like that. After some time I managed to sleep.


I woke up and looked at the clock. It was 4:30. I looked outside, it looked like an evening. Ok, this wasn’t what I expected,  but I still don’t know for sure if I came to the past. If I went a day back into the past that means I would be playing outside with my brother. I was about to leave the room and I accidently dropped my clock off my table. And I thought I messed up but at that my brother came out of his room and said “ I just dropped a pencil. Let’s go.” I remember this sentence and I heard when I was about to go outside. That means I actually went back. I picked up my clock and it had the same scratch there.When the other me looked at my clock when he woke up it wasn’t there and now it was. That means I scratched my clock by dropping it. It was strange but it’s ok. Now I need to figure out how I should go to the present time. The time right now is 5:00, and the time when I slept was 10:30pm. So, I should go to 11:00 at night. I wasn’t sure if this would be a success but I still gave it a try. I set the alarm at 11:00, and I laid down on my bed. I closed my eyes and after what felt like 5 minutes I woke up to my alarm. I opened my eyes and looked outside the window. It was dark so it looked like night and I looked at the wall clock. It was 11:00 that means I came to the correct time but I needed to know if it was the same day. I ignored that thought because now I was sure it was the same day. Tomorrow is Tuesday, so it's a weekday and on weekdays I never stay up late. I set my alarm to my usual waking up time : 5:30 and I slept happily. 



After a couple of days, I bought a new clock and I kept this time machine clock in my closet. It was fun travelling through time. But, I don’t want to do it again now. Probably after some weeks. The weird morning turned out to become into  quite a boisterous day.


 



April 03, 2020 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Nicole Leah
17:29 Apr 09, 2020

I really enjoyed reading this story with lots of action and surprises. Great plot-line. Maybe to improve (being part of the critique circle), add a little more variety to your sentence structures so that when you read it you can feel the pushing and pulling of the rhythm.

Reply

Kartik Swain
15:27 Apr 10, 2020

Thank you! And Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Awpic Erin
16:55 Apr 08, 2020

I love this! It's such a crazy story! I was so surprised when the main character realized it was a time travel clock. I did not see that coming.

Reply

Kartik Swain
17:14 Apr 08, 2020

Thank you! I am glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.