0 comments

Fantasy

I threw on my green cloak and threw myself into the forest beckoning from the closet. Had it always been there or had my mystic mind summoned the portal?


There was madness about. I had just invited a small group to my chamber to discuss what my followers were to do done in my absence. Ganymede would maintain Gelasia and keep a watchful eye on the queen. I wanted to ask Omphale for her help. After all, the woman was a high priestess herself, and had proven herself to be quite wise and quite pleasant. Perhaps Omphale would not mind assisting Ganymede in the task of running the court of Gelasia. I also decided to give my personal cylinder seal over to Elpenora while I was away, giving her the authority to enact decrees on my behalf to counter any folly of the queen's. I hoped the aging sage would be up to the task, for there was no one I trusted more.


But those mortal, secular concerns could be put aside. For the moment, I concentrated on making a proper invocation to my lady goddess. I walked along the dirt path through the forest where two days before I had made my holy Summertide quest with the Virgin Huntress.


Artemis always remained with me and would come at my request wherever I might be. But I desired to show my divine mother respect and reverence by going to her temple in the woods. I collected fallen, dried branches on the way, which I would need to build the sacred fire within the temple.


The temple of Artemis stood a few paces into the forest. Ivy wound around the white marble pillars, almost disguising the man-made objects as works of nature. A stone framework lay upon the pillars so that a canopy might be pulled over in case of rain. The ceiling of this temple was the blue of the sky, and the floor was the very earth. No closed building could truly serve as a house of worship for the goddess of the wild things!


This temple was graced by a statue of its goddess. But Artemis detested the pomp and opulence of her fellow Olympians. She insisted that her statue be carved of simple wood and stand no higher than the usual height of a human being.


I smiled curved as I stepped into this sacred sanctuary, the smile of a daughter returning to her own home. Approaching the wooden statue, I let my cloak fall from my shoulders and knelt down to perform my sacred work. Within the small cauldron which permanently sat at the foot of the statue, I arranged the branches she had collected and kindled a fire.


From the pouch tied at my waist, I removed the special sacred herbs and tears of frankincense. Murmuring an ancient entreaty and incantation, I sprinkled the frankincense and the herbs onto the fire, raising my arms out to the statue as the fragrant smoke billowed around me.

"Mother, I must make a journey for the benefit of one very dear to me and his nation, a perilous journey." I paused, inhaling the pleasant scent of the smoke. "Whether or not I survive is not important. I ask that I may help him as best I can, so that he may save his innocent people. Though I may go to die, I go in love and fortitude. Mother, I give myself into your care."


I watched the soft glimmer surround the statue and then Artemis herself, clad in a brown hunting tunic, her long hair entwined with vines of flowers, stepped out from the statue. The goddess took my hands, and raised me from the floor. "I would not abandon you to the cruelties of this quest, daughter. You shall have my help."

Clasping Artemis' hands I understood the powerful love between me and my goddess. "I knew you would not, Mother."

"The spite and jealousy that have brought you into this danger are repugnant to our being," Artemis declared, shaking her head. "You have always had my blessing and my protection, but this quest will require something more, something earthly and mortal. I have two gifts for you. I believe these will ensure your safety."


Artemis reached behind her, into her statue. She drew forth a magnificent sword. The blade shined luminescent like the face of the full Mother Moon, and the hilt had been worked from solid gold. Artemis carefully placed this sword by its hilt into my trembling hands.


"Worthy warrior, I bestow upon you the greatest of all swords, Calliste. No other sword but Calliste can adequately meet the challenges you will face. She shall always strike her target, my dear. With Calliste you will defend your companions. Use Calliste always in my name, and you will have victory. Promise me so."

Speechless, I examined at the sword in surprise and delight. The glow about Calliste illuminated me. No mortal could produce a sword like this one, I knew. I took the hilt tightly in my hand and lifted the sword above my head. "It is weightless!"


"So she is," Artemis agreed. "Calliste was forged by Hephaestus himself. It is his gift to you as well as my gift to you. Iphis is the beloved nation of Aphrodite, and Aphrodite is the beloved wife of Hephaestus. When you defend Iphis you defend Aphrodite, and the god of the forge blesses you for it."


I lowered Calliste, and regarded Artemis with love and reverence. "I promise, Mother. I shall bear Calliste in your name, and bear her well."


Artemis girded an elaborate, stone-studded scabbard about my waist. I recognized these stones--quartz, lapis lazuli, malachite, and many others. "The warrior in you will value the sword above all, but do not neglect this scabbard," Artemis instructed me. "It, too, possesses powers that shall aid you in your time of need."


The goddess again reached into the statue and brought forth a handsome, ivory bow. "You will not always find Calliste to be your best option, my daughter," Artemis said, handing the bow to me. "There will be times when you are best to keep your distance from your enemy." The goddess brought forth a quiver filled with arrows and placed this over my shoulder. "This is a model of my own unerring bow. You will never miss your target with this bow. And remember that your eyes are not always your only sense for detecting a target. Use this always in my name. Promise me so."


"Mother, I promise. You bless me beyond my worth."


"The journey that awaits you goes far beyond following an old road in a quest for answers. You will return from this journey much changed yourself. Face what is before you with a brave heart, for you have powers you do not yet recognize. Use your courage to benefit all of you. Do this in my name, daughter."


I embraced Artemis, our figures enveloped in a cloud-like shimmer. "Always in your name, Mother."

Emilie J. Conroy

ejconroy778@gmail.com


April 22, 2020 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.