THE BROKEN WINDOW

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Write a story in which a window is broken or found broken.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Happy

.(This story is set in earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is about 800 years younger and is evolving.)

Once upon a time there dwelt in Rubi Isle a man named Swig who was a farmer. He lived with his wife  Sigma and their only daughter Chili who was now sweet 16.  Swig and Sigma were not very intelligent though he managed their farm well. That day Swig was seated talking to his wife. She said “I keep telling you to repair the broken window upstairs but you’re refusing. Chili sleeps alone there and it worries me.”

Swig said “You know the story about the window. My grandfather killed his rival and that fellow’s son broke the window. The wizard has said the window shouldn’t be repaired as the murdered man’s ghost would keep coming to haunt the murderer. It did come a few times.”

Sigma said “Okay but I would like to tell her some secrets as she is of marriageable age.”

“The fellow who marries will give her suitable instructions. I remember you telling me that your mother hadn’t told you enough but immediately after the ceremony you led me on.”

“That’s instinct. Anyway I feel I should keep company with Chili.”

“What happens if I need you suddenly in the night? I can’t shout asking for you and embarrassing our daughter.”

“She won’t be embarrassed after I educate her.”

He said “You know I’ll need you. I can’t be without you.”

“That isn’t very often and you’ve heard me complain.”

“Doesn’t matter. You continue to sleep with me.”

Soon the spring festival was celebrated when maidens gathered to dance in front of citizens. Chili was the leader and she caught the eye of a rich man Ric. He was about 30 and had lost his first wife. After the festivities, Ric said to his batman Bat that he was in love with Chili. Bat was an athletic young man with a smiling face and Ric would use him to send important messages. Ric said “You must contact Chili and tell her about my love for her and that I would like to marry her.” He knew that since Bat was of a lower social status he wouldn’t be misunderstood  talking to Chili.

Bat was extra cautious and reaching her window, entered into Chile’s room one night. She was surprised but in the light of the burning torch was able to see Bat’s features. She liked the young man and sat talking to him. He spoke a lot about Ric praising him and Chili was impressed. Nevertheless her interest in Bat himself grew and she was in love with him. When he took some liberties with her she permitted him and in a short while they were playing clouds and rain. This continued for a few days as Ric was sending Chili gifts like gold ornaments through Bat and the latter was reporting that she was warming up to him.

One night Sigma heard sounds upstairs and was worried. What if somebody had climbed in to handle her daughter? She spoke to Swig about an escort for Chili upstairs. He said “If we have to prevent a bad element we should’ve a male guard who can over-power intruders.”

“That would be undesirable.  A male isn’t suitable. It must be a female.”

He said “If you bring in an old woman it would be useless as she would be frail and whoever enters could have his way.”

“That is right. It must be a well-built woman. If she proves friendly she could put Chili wise about the ways of a man with his maid. I feel Wizi would be a good choice. She is about 40 is a widow and has the build to fit guard duty.”

Swig said “I’ll summon her and talk to her.”

“Don’t. I’ll do the talking. You won’t know how to put in all details.”

Wizi came and met Sigma. Sigma made enquiries of Wizi. Wizi said “I live alone as I have no children. You know my husband died about 4 years ago. He was a security guard and had gone to save a child being washed away. The child was saved but he died and his body was washed away in the flood. Since then I’ve been living alone. My mother was a witch and she has taught me witch practices and people come to consult me. What do you require of me?”

“Wizi, my daughter Chili is 16 and sleeps alone in the room upstairs with a broken window,”

Wizi laughed and said “Yes indeed. It is a cause of worry.”

Sigma said “Also she needs to be educated on what happens after the wedding. We’re close to seeking a groom for her.”

Wizi laughed and said “I’m the wrong person for such education. I’ve even forgotten the ways of my husband.”

“Come on! Don’t underestimate your capacity.”

Wizi said “In such cases the mother usually does the instruction.”

“My husband needs me by his side at night and won’t let me go and sleep with Chili.”

Wizi laughed and said “I can understand. So what you’re asking me to do is sleep with Chili as a guard and an instructor.”

“Exactly.” The terms were then discussed and fixed. At that time Chili came that way and Sigma said “Wizi this is my daughter Chili. Chili, Wizi will come and sleep with you upstairs. Listen carefully to whatever she tells you. It will be about what happens after your marriage. You should be ready with the knowledge.”

Chili said “Mom, I can sleep alone. There is no need to get Wizi to come and sleep here.”

Sigma said “Child you don’t know the follies a woman faces. Wizi will explain everything to you.”

Chili was unhappy at her mom installing a guard for obvious reasons, but she was a clever girl and resolved to handle the situation as it arises.

The same night Wizi moved in. She said “Child do you know what .....”

“Wizi I know everything. I don’t need the instruction. Please sleep well.”

Chili stood at the window and when Bat climbed in she whispered to him about Wizi sleeping there. He said “I can hear her snoring. We won’t make the usual noises.”

When the 2 were busy, Wizi who was hearing all that was happening got up and said “I know what is happening.”

Chili said “Don’t disturb us. I’ll compensate you with money.”

Wizi laughed and said “That won’t do. I want a piece of the action.”

Bat said “It’s a very simple demand. I’ll meet your requirement also.”

It straightaway became a ménage a trois with Wizi taking the initiatives. All 3 were happy at the way it had happened.

A few days passed and Wizi was surprised to see Ric at her door. She called him in and said “You’re an important citizen. What can bring you to my hovel?”

He said “I understand you’re Chili’s caretaker. I want you to influence Chili in my favour. I’ve used Bat but he hasn’t been able to influence her despite his many visits and the gifts I’ve bestowed on her through him. Can you do it? I’ll pay you for it.”

Wizi tried to say she couldn’t do it, but then the promise of money tempted her. She said “Pay me in advance,”

After he had made the payment she said “I’ll do my best.”

Ric thought he had now almost got Chili.

Sigma was getting reports about Chili having received all information regarding dealing with a husband. Wizi said “She will make a good wife.”

There was now a complication: Chili was in the family way! Wizi tried out drugs she knew to end the threat but she had no luck. She then devised a plan keeping Chili and Bat in the know.

Thta night Wizi screamed and Sigma with Swig rushed upstairs. Sigma saw Wizi lying nude and shouted “Cover up! My husband is also here. What happened?”

Wizi said “I was raped. It must’ve been the ghost taking revenge for past happenings.”

Chili who stood shedding tears said “It happened to me also.”

Swig said “The ghost has waited so many years to wreak vengeance. I’ll arrange to repair the broken window. The ghost has had its revenge and may not return.”

The broken window was rectified in a day preventing any further unauthorised entry. Wizi said “This rape would’ve consequences. Get Chili married quickly. I’ve a suggestion. Ric needs a wife. Chili could marry him.”

Chili was very happy with the suggestion as Bat continued in service. Wizi met Bat and said “Don’t forget that I also need service.”

Bat said “Sure. It will be provided depending on convenience.”

All involved were happy.

END

June 10, 2021 04:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.