Contest #261 shortlist ⭐️

39 comments

Creative Nonfiction

She adjusts herself in the stiff chair, trying to get comfortable. It seems each time she shifts, it’s not long before she needs to squirm around again, looking for that sweet spot. But then she reminds herself she’s in a hospital, watching her husband sleep soundly after his surgery. It’s not about her comfort. It’s about his.

A baseball game is playing on the TV, the volume so low she can only hear a steady buzzing from the small bedside speaker. Her fingers ache to gingerly grab the remote from beside her husband and turn on her favorite show, which is starting soon on another channel. She looks over at him sleeping soundly, momentarily numb to the pain and worry, and feels guilt overtake her. 

She remembers clearly when he was sitting in the visitor chair as she prepared to give birth to their first child. He had picked up the remote and she snapped at him, “I’m the one in labor. You do not get to pick what we watch on TV”. Looking back, that may have been a bit harsh, but for heaven’s sake, she was not going to watch sports or one of his National Geographic specials while she labored to bring a child into the world.

But now, 28 years later, as her husband sleeps off the anesthesia from his open-heart surgery, she wants to stick with the pact they made all those years ago. She turns away from the baseball game, trying not to focus on what she is missing just three channels away. When he wakes up, even though he may be groggy, he should not find her with her feet up indulging in trashy reality TV.

A cart comes rattling down the hall, a beeping gets louder and then fades as it passes. She looks over at her husband. He doesn’t move. The drugs and the trauma to his body keep him in a sound sleep. He snores gently, and she thinks of all the times she kicked him in bed because his snoring kept her awake. Right now, she is just grateful that he is okay, that the surgery was a success. Her only hope is that he’ll be coming home to snore and leave the seat up and put unrinsed dishes into the dishwasher for many years to come.

He’s a good man, solid and dependable, even if he works too many hours and takes on too many stresses in life. That’s probably what led him here, although she knows it’s not that simple. But the long hours and the take-out pizza and burgers he always orders for his staff when he needs them to work late could not have helped. She would much prefer he came home for more of the healthy dinners she cooked. All that pricey organic and farm fresh food, but she was the only one benefitting.

What she loves is that despite the many hours he works, he has never passed  judgement as she went through a revolving door of jobs and volunteer positions, one year working at a horse farm and the next throwing herself into writing classes. He supports whatever she is passionate about in the moment in that quiet, unassuming way he handled everything.

Back when they were engaged, he had told her that he would have to work long hours in his career and that would probably leave her with much of the responsibility for their home life. But he also assured her that he would earn enough money to support their family, so she was free to do what she wanted, whether that was a career or to focus on motherhood. She had managed a mixture of both, keeping herself busy and challenged. She knew that even now, if she told him she wanted to go back to school to study marine biology or architecture or become a school librarian, he would look at her in that easy way he did and say, “if that’s what you want, go for it.”

Her phone beeps, and after checking to make sure the noise hasn’t disturbed him, she looks down at it and smiles. Her daughter responded to the update she’d send on their dad’s progress, and moments later, her son weighs in as well. Tears well in her eyes. She is so protective of these two young adults. As much as she hates that her husband had to endure this surgery, she also regrets that her children have to confront the reality that their parents are beginning to age. She wants to protect them from that, from all the disappointments and sadness that are part of life, but she knows that’s impossible. She also knows that at 26 and 28, they are strong and competent adults who are capable of dealing with whatever comes their way. They no longer need her protection – just her unconditional love. And they have had that since the moment they came into the world in this very hospital she sits in now. 

She tries to think of something to lighten the mood for her kids. She texts back, joking that their dad will probably want to put on his suit and go back to work as soon as he wakes up. Both kids like that, and she feels confident that she has eased their worry just a bit. Now they can go back to their work and their friends and their independent lives. She will keep them posted on his progress, and over the weekend they will come to visit. Seeing them recharges her like nothing else, and she can’t wait to give them each a big hug after all their family has been through this week.

She wiggles in her chair, which seems to be turning to cement beneath her. Hadn’t it been comfortable when she first got here and sat down? Can chairs literally harden beneath you? She eyes the baseball game again. He really isn’t going to be watching, but she decides to play a game on her phone until he wakes up. The doctor said it should be soon, and she is trying not to worry as the minutes pass. Sleep is healing – even if watching and waiting feels interminable.

Searching her phone, she finds a crossword puzzle she hasn’t yet completed. That will  kill at least 30 minutes – maybe more. She absorbs herself in the clues, the filling in of squares. For a moment she forgets about the discomfort of the chair, the concern about her husband’s recovery, and the ongoing worry about her kids. It is a gift, these occasional moments of distraction from worry. When she can keep her mind occupied.

She jumps when she hears a loud snore – or something resembling one. Putting down her phone she jumps up, leaning into her husband. He shifts in his bed and then scrunches up his face before slowly opening his eyes. 

“You’re awake!”  She states the obvious, her voice high.

He looks at her, not really focusing.

“Do you feel okay? Are you in any pain?”

He assesses her questions, taking his time to roll them over in his mind. Her husband always thinks for a long time before he responds. She is the opposite. She can’t wait to say the next thing that pops into her head. His hesitancy – normally frustrating – feels  comforting today. It’s something she will never be critical of again. 

He opens his mouth to speak, still considering his words. “Yes,” he says. “I don’t feel too bad.”

A tear rolls down her cheek. Of course he’s okay. He’s the one with the tough exterior, the impenetrable fortress that quietly protects his family from harm. She is the soft and  gooey center, nurturing and overloading her family with food and love and guidance.

“That’s so good to hear.” Her voice cracks. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” he says, his voice hoarse from sleep and drugs and exhaustion. “Maybe I could take another nap.”

“Good idea,” she says. “Do you need anything first? A sip of water or another pillow or…?” She stops herself. This isn’t the time to hover. 

He once again considers her words. “No, just sleep.” And with that he closes his eyes and appears to fall back into a deep sleep.

She sits back down in the chair, twisting and turning until she finds a position she can live with – at least for a few minutes. She stares at the baseball game and then back to her sleeping husband, thinking of the life they have built, their two wonderful children and their comfortable home. And just for a moment her mind calms down and she feels an intense gratitude for all that really matters in her life.

July 31, 2024 13:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Milly Orie
00:57 Aug 04, 2024

You're a gifted writer! The story glides along so easily and freely, and the love our MC has for her husband is so sweet and strong and palpable. I particularly loved the detail about not turning on the TV-just an example of the little sacrifices couples make for one another. To love is to sacrifice. Not really relevant to the story, but for some reason whenever I read, my brain auto-corrects to the past tense. I came upon the phrase 'She remembers' and was like, 'Wait, did the tense change?' Nope. Just me, haha.

Reply

Karen Hope
21:31 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Milly, for your thoughtful and encouraging feedback. I so glad to hear the story is relatable and that her random thoughts come it as cohesive. Regarding the present tense, I try to write some stories in past and some in present tense. I also switch between first and third person, just as a writing exercises. Sometimes I even confuse myself. LOL!! Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
21:49 Aug 15, 2024

I think the way you rendered the relationship here was masterful. So much tenderness and art tucked within the quieter moments. Well done.

Reply

Karen Hope
00:07 Aug 16, 2024

Thank you so much for your critique and your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phillip B
19:09 Aug 15, 2024

Very interesting. The differences in their personality was interesting: "Her husband always thinks for a long time before he responds. She is the opposite. She can’t wait to say the next thing that pops into her head. His hesitancy – normally frustrating – feels comforting today. It’s something she will never be critical of again."

Reply

Karen Hope
20:18 Aug 15, 2024

I'm guessing over time she will be frustrated with his slow reaction time again - but while she's worried about his health, it feels like something she won't ever criticize :). Thank you so much for reading and sharing your feedback, Philip!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
23:07 Aug 09, 2024

Congratulations, Karen! Well deserved recognition for a wonderful story!

Reply

Karen Hope
00:50 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you so much, Linda. I’m very excited to be shortlisted. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Jennifer
22:54 Aug 09, 2024

Very compelling and relatable. Funny how major life events bring us the gift of clarity. I enjoyed how honest were the MC thoughts on how supportive her husband had always been. She felt guilty just for thinking about changing the channel. Congratulations!

Reply

Karen Hope
00:49 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you so much - I appreciate your thoughtful feedback. I was very excited to be shortlisted!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:56 Aug 09, 2024

Congrats on shortlist. Will return to read later. Enjoyed it very much. Sometimes we forget to be grateful for the blessings we have right in front of us.

Reply

Karen Hope
17:22 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you, Mary. I hope you enjoy it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
15:45 Aug 09, 2024

Congrats, Karen! Well deserved.

Reply

Karen Hope
17:21 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you! It as a pleasant surprise 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:44 Aug 09, 2024

Way to go, girl! 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Reply

Karen Hope
17:20 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you! I’m very excited 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:38 Aug 09, 2024

Congrats Karen 🙌

Reply

Karen Hope
17:20 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you! I’m excited 😊

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:35 Aug 09, 2024

Really pleased for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
15:30 Aug 08, 2024

great read much enjoyed sláinte xx

Reply

Karen Hope
03:38 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you so much, Susan. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
20:02 Aug 07, 2024

A beautiful heart warmer of a story - perfect for the prompt!

Reply

Karen Hope
03:31 Aug 08, 2024

Thank you so much for your supportive feedback, Shirley. Much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
15:43 Aug 05, 2024

Trials tend to make us see the big picture - what's really important in life. A line hit me, "They no longer need her protection – just her unconditional love." I have four adult kids I love tremendously, but I still want to protect them. The problem is, they're like me, and want me to butt out. 🤣 Good stories make you look inside.

Reply

Karen Hope
04:16 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you, Daniel, for your thoughtful feedback. I get what you mean about kids wanting us to butt out. That's so true! And I agree, the tough times help us see what really matters. Much appreciated!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:10 Aug 11, 2024

Hey, congrats on being shortlisted. Just remember, I liked before you were famous 🤣

Reply

Karen Hope
00:55 Aug 12, 2024

Thank you Daniel--it's so good to have people who remember me from my struggling artist days... :) LOL !!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
03:55 Aug 03, 2024

I squirmed right along with the wife. Her thoughts flitting right along with findong the elusive comfortable spot. It'll, of course, be months before either one will be as comfortable as they once were. The pace was perfect, descriptions spot on. Great story, Karen.

Reply

Karen Hope
11:21 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you, Trudy! I wanted her thoughts to wander, but the story to still feel cohesive. Glad it seemed to work. Much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Pegalis
00:50 Aug 03, 2024

I was carried into the story, sitting on the hard seat, feeling guilty about wanting to watch a different show right along with the protagonist. I felt her anxiety.

Reply

Karen Hope
03:50 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you, Linda, I’m glad all the emotion of the story came through for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:34 Aug 01, 2024

Wonderful story. I love the character if the husband and feel for his wife. Great response to the prompt.

Reply

Karen Hope
19:18 Aug 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen. I appreciate your positive feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
16:01 Aug 01, 2024

Karen, I felt every minute of this. A very descriptive story detailing a private moment between this couple. Loved it.

Reply

Karen Hope
19:17 Aug 01, 2024

Thank you, Linda. It really is a private moment between them, even though she's doing all the reflecting. Good observation - and much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:39 Jul 31, 2024

Karen, this was lovely. The use of sensory details makes every single emotion come to life for readers. I love the bits where the very same things she used to be annoyed at regarding her husband were things she now craved. Lovely work !

Reply

Karen Hope
16:55 Jul 31, 2024

Thank you, Alexis. I chose not to give my characters names here. I was hoping that wasn’t needed to convey a raw and difficult time of reflection for this woman as she watches her husband. I appreciate your observations and feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
13:48 Jul 31, 2024

Beautifully told with deeply heartfelt feelings and insight. This brings the reader right into the moments of the scene to share the main character's thoughts and emotions. It shows the distinctive life, personality, and relationship of the main character and her husband. The sensory details such as trying to get comfortable on the chair bring physical sensations to the readers that we can relate to. Skillfully written with deep layers. Extremely well written and stirs the reader's heart!

Reply

Karen Hope
16:23 Jul 31, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi! I appreciate the thoughtful and encouraging feedback — especially as the first reader of this story. This is based on truth, so I’m glad the authenticity and emotion came through. Thank you again!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.