1 comment

Horror Thriller Fantasy

I think someone or something is following me. For the past two days, I've seen something or someone dressed in black, with a matching vail. No one else seems to notice her, even when I point her out. It seems that I am the only one strangely lucky enough to feel and see her. Thankfully, she stays at a distance, never giving a close enough view. That lack of view doesn’t change how terrifying she is. Or the troubled feeling she leaves me with.

Today, I was leaving my apartment when I had this feeling of being watched. I didn't look behind me, as I learned that it's better to ignore it rather than to engage it. I quickly walked out of the building, only stopping to let another person in. I still had the feeling of being watched, but it turned into the feeling of being followed. When I arrived at the bus stop, I sighed before sitting down. Wanting the feeling of being constantly watched to go away. I looked around the street just to make sure I really was alone. That's when I noticed the thing, yet again. This time it was across the street, giving me a closer view than before. It was a woman dressed in a skin tight black dress and a veil that was blocking her face. She had blood red curly hair moving as if there was a heavy wind storm sending goosebumps down my arms. The bus came and when I found a seat, I looked where she was standing. She was gone.

Later that night at my office, I was finishing up my work, typing and sighing. I worked slowly to get it right. I need this account, everything has to be perfect or I'll lose it. That's the last thing I need right now as money is tight and moving back home isn't an option because my parents passed years ago.

"Are you coming?" Mr.Hamjohn asked as he locked his office door. His normal business look and personality now relaxed. 

"I will soon, I still need to finish the rundown for the Jones account." I answered, moving my hair behind my ear, smiling up at him.

He shook his head, not understanding how bad things are for me. "Alright, but you better leave early tomorrow, corporate doesn't like employees staying after." He warned, walking past my desk. 

I nodded “Yes sir, have a good night.”  and watched him leave. 

It only took a half an hour to finish. As I packed up my stuff, I watched the cleaning crew come in. They talked and laughed as they started cleaning, but one of them was different. More dark and menacing, with the same black vail that has been haunting me.

She moved away from the crew, showing her tight black dress, so close that I can tell her dress was made from some sort of dried leather. Her body was changing, growing. She started out the same small size as me but now she's over 6ft tall. Her very skin looked to be moving, as if held completely together by billions of ants.

I backed away, scared that she'd hurt me. I looked at the vail, waiting for it to fall down and show who was hiding underneath. The red hair still moved as if wind was inside  the building.

“Ma’am? Are you alright?” A tall, larger Mexican woman asked. Causing me to look down a little. The cleaning lady just walked through whatever entity was haunting me, making it disappear. “You look like you were having a heart attack.” The other cleaning ladies behind her gossiped in Spanish, trying to hide the fact that it's me they were talking about. 

I must have looked like some lunatic. Staring at nothing, but looking like I'm seeing a ghost. “Ah,” I looked around just to be sure she wasn’t hiding somewhere else, just waiting for me to let my guard down. “Yeah, I'm just overworked.” I say laughing, picking up my bag and coat. 

The lady nodded, “Understandable, have a good night ma’am.” 

I smiled and thanked her. I quickly left the building, hoping that they wouldn’t say anything to my boss about my strange behavior. I sat down at the bus stop and pulled out my phone thinking I could maybe find information about whatever it is that I just saw or to help me make sense of what is even going on, or something to ward off demons and bad spirits. Anything, something other than letting it feed off my fear. “ My God, am I really googling this right now?” I sickly think to myself. I felt someone sit down next to me. I looked up and I almost fainted. There she was, the same skin tight black dress but now her body is different. She’s showing me her true gut wrenching form. Her legs are bent backwards and seem to have grown more parts on them. Like human hands reaching out while her arms looked like those of spiders, long and hairy disgustingly bending before touching the ground, as if she had 4 legs. Thankfully, the vail hid her face. She turned to me, distorting her long neck in painful looking twists and turns to come closer to my face. I cover my mouth to quiet the blood curdling scream I could not hold back.

"Can you see me?" The voice was like a dying cow and a deep messed up howl.

At first I was paralyzed, unable to move. As if my instincts of fight or flight had failed me, I stayed next to the entity, oh so close to her."I ah,y-yes, I can."

The thing's neck moved like a snake on the ground, causing its head to flip around. "Do you wish to see more?" It asked in a sickening attempt at sounding nice. Its hands on the legs formed a mouth and moved as if talking every time this thing spoke.

Without a thought, I shook my head "n-no, I don't."

The woman entity moved her head, making her neck stay in place with her spider arms. She asked, "Am I not pr-pretty?" 

She pulled the vail off. Revealing a human head with what looked like 50 eyes and a huge unhuman mouth with shark looking teeth. The hair I saw wasn't red hair, or even hair at all. It was instead many, many tongues. Its mouth is so wide that the tongues can't stay in it.

My mouth fell open. It was a huge deformed spider demon! I couldn't tell it how ugly, or how terrifying it really was.  "yes, yes! you're pretty!" I cried, holding myself and sliding away from it.

The thing laughed, putting the vail back on. Which changed her back into her first form, when I first saw this entity. "You play a good game, I'll get you back next time." she said getting up curling her neck towards the sky while throwing her head back laughing the most hideous laugh. Finally leaving me alone, I think to myself did this really all just happen? What did the thing mean by I’ll get you back next time?.

 A few days later, I found that dress and vail on my kitchen table. I touched the fabric, it felt real, like someone killed whatever this was and made this black leather themselves and hand stitched the dress. Along with the clothes, was a note that read “Now it's your turn.”  

Just as I finished reading the last word I suddenly started getting cramps that became so excruciating I laid on the floor and screamed. It was as if someone stuck their hand in my back, squeezing and ripping apart my insides, I finally passed out from the pain, but when I started coming to I felt weird. My body doesn't feel like my own. I want my skin off, no, flies, I want to eat flies, I frantically think. That dress, it's calling me to wear it, to embrace the dress’s desires or maybe it is my own desire now. To wear it, and change, then prey on another weak-hearted human to notice, to feed the dresses hunger, to restart the game all over again.

May 13, 2022 13:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sylvia Courtner
17:05 Jun 03, 2022

This story was compelling, and dark, with a bit of mystery. Probably because of the word limit, I felt the description at the beginning held more depth than the end portion that focused on her transition and draw toward the dark and compelling dress. Also, a couple of grammar errors: you used veil once and vail all the other times, and I believe veil is the correct word/spelling. Also, in the last sentence, since you are referring to a single dress, I believe instead of "feed the dresses hunger" you should use "feed the dress' hunger". All i...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.