0 comments

Suspense Sad Creative Nonfiction

My grandma was my best friend. She'd listen to my "issues" as a 6 year old. She'd tickle me, she'd have the most beautiful laugh that forever is held in my heart. She'd have the biggest heart of all of my family, and I'm glad that she ended up the way she ended her sentence with a period.

When my dad was growing up, my grandma and my grandpa (biological) weren't in good shape. Their health was just so bad. My grandma battled with severe depression. She'd use alcohol to drown out the pain. She would abuse the use of prescription drugs. My grandpa left my dad and his younger siblings when my dad was 5. My grandma also was a heavy smoker. She'd smoke everyday, almost a whole pack a day. Thankfully, she was doing better with it. Smoking less and less overtime. My dad moved out when he was 16 because his mom was going through so much.

My grandma was a good person. She's just a fun person and I miss her dearly. On May 13, 2016. My grandma was heading home in her little white family van, on her way home. She got hit by a semi-truck being controlled by a sleeping driver. I took it hard, my entire family did. She was everything but a horrible person. This all happened when i was in middle school. I already had a hard time fitting in, this made me feel worse. I got picked on more, I'd cry everyday. I just wanted her back.

Back tracking, my dad owns a plumbing business, he got a call from a 65 year old woman, she had a major leak under her sink and needed fixed asap. My dad arrives to the house and meets the owner. A slightly round older woman, with bright red hair, dark brown eyes, and a huge heart. She shown him the issue and explained what happened. My dad notices her used-to-be-white piano that looks to be at least 200 years old. He asked her about it to get to know her a little bit. What I've always wanted to do is to take piano lessons, unfortunately they've had a hard time finding someone. I'm so glad that I ended up with her. Her name was Mrs.Rae.

She was so much like me. She gets that I had a hard time fitting in. She understands that I lost someone so dearly to me. She would get me gifts from her trips. Every year she would go to Belize for two weeks. She'd always get me something exotic from there. She'd never forget my birthday, and I will never forget her's. She'd get me gifts on almost all holidays, and I would do that same. It was when we first started going out to lunch together that I realized that she was exactly like my grandma. It felt like a second chance for me.

One year she was hit with severe stomach pains to the point where she couldn't move without the urge to scream. Her husband came home that day and rushed her to the emergency room. She somehow puncture a hole in her stomach. I kid you not, her stomach legit exploded. She had to have 3 surgeries to get it patched up. for a few months after she got out the hospital she had to have a bag attached to her intestines so she could digest and get rid of the waste in her body. She wasn't able to do that naturally without messing with the stitches her her body. Nonetheless, she is a really strong woman and could go through any obstacles that get thrown at her. Just like my grandma.

After she recovered, she encouraged me to make a song. That was like a homework assignment. I remember going home that night and going straight to my piano to create a song. I worked on it for weeks. I never wrote it down, but i did memorized that whole song from the first trill, to the last staccato. Maybe about a month later I finally worked up the courage to show her the song. She cried over it. She asked me the title of the song. I called it "Nature's Fireworks"

I was her piano students for 6 years total. One day my grades came in on my sophomore year of high school, I had my first "F". My parents solution was for me to not attend any more lessons with her.

2020 hit and we all know how that year turned out. During covid, her and I would call every weekend to update eachother on whats going on with life. Pretty much anything. Even some personal stuff. We both don't judge each other. Every time I talk to her, it's an closer to her I am.

After a while, we slowly stopped talking to each other. Every weekend turned to biweekly, to once a month, to never at all. The last call I've ever got from her was a plan to go to lunch after this pandemic was calming down, this was in the month of April, in the year of 2020.

December 21, 2020. Mrs.Rae's husband, Cal, has tried to reach out to Mrs.Rae many times, but she didn't respond. Her kids and grandkids tried to call her as well. No response. They all got worried, they called the police department for a wellness check. They arrive around 8pm and found her on the ground. They shown a light on her and claimed that they saw her "breathing". They didn't bother going inside the home to see first hand. When Cal got the news, he was pissed off about them not going in the house to check on her. The PD refused to go inside of the home. Cal then explains that he will send the ambulance to break down the door and do it themselves. They finally got inside and by the time they did, the next day by the way, they were too late. She had just turned 70 that year. None of her family members, before her kids, made it to 70. That was Mrs.Rae's overall goal to be 70 before she passes on to the great unknown.

I never forgot the call on March 17, 2020 that she made it. I can just hear her smile.

I realize that she is way older than I am. It may seem weird to you that her and I are best friends, but to me, there's no other person that I trusted more than Mrs. Rae. She will always be dear to my heart. I'll never forget them both. They both made me the person I am today.

I'm telling you, I never look down at the path my inner demon is dragging me to. I'm taking the path that my two guardian angels that God gave me in my life that leads me to successful life. They motivate me, they are no longer suffering on the hellish planet. They are in God's hands now.

Mrs. Rae will experience Nature's true fireworks in the sky. Hopefully, they know that they changed my life for the better.

This is to my loving family that has supported me, and to my guardian angels who I know for a fact will guide me and continue to guide me all the way through my life path. I love you Mrs.Rae and Vicky Reeves. You both are wonderful people that has ever existed on this planet. You guys are my light to the end of the tunnel.

I love you

February 02, 2021 16:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.