1 comment

Horror

I'd been pondering on loads of options to cope with the terrible breakup that took place a couple of weeks ago. I didn't feel like talking to the jerk, David who chose to ditch me for my best friend! Well, EX best friend. I mean seriously, could it be any worse? I still couldn't believe Nina actually double faced me the whole time she entertained that jerk to cheat on me. What could I possibly do then? It all happened too fast. Anyway, among all the potential coping mechanisms I'd scavenged so far, the one suggested by my cousin, Casey seemed to be more appropriate and lesser aggressive than the other ones. So, basically the task I was to perform was simply writing down messages by pouring out all the rages and curses that had been terribly brewing inside my heart. Then instead of sending them to the jerk, I needed to leave it in the note app of my phone. But interestingly, I came across the mysterious story of Mark Twain and his unsent letters more or less around the same time. In the case of Twain, he used to write down letters addressing to particular people, then tore them down without sending to those addressed. The interesting part was, he still got letters from those people answering the questions he asked or talking about topics he mentioned in his unsent letters. Never mind! I was just another girl who got dumped by the one she thought the love of her life, for the one she thought to be her best friend. No magic, no psychic power involved whatsoever. So, I aggressively typed out a whole Essay-length message trying my best to let out all the entrapped anger intending to the cheater. Heaving out a deep, heavy breath, I gave it a read. Wow! My mind was quite murderous at that point! "Choking the life out of him on his own car seat… Banging his head constantly against the metallic body of his favorite minivan until the head becomes a heap of blood and flesh... Making his sweetheart, Nina regret doing what she did so much so that she'd be possessed terribly by the self-loathing which would make her hang herself...." Woah! Only if I could make those happen! However, writing them down definitely helped to ease the weight on my shoulders. That was Thursday when I left the message unsent locking it down inside the note app. 

Friday... Saturday... Sunday... Monday...Tuesday... Wednesday had passed just like that. Of course, nothing would happen! I was just a regular girl... 

As a whole week passed without any fuss, I chose not to sweat my head over it. "Lily! Did you hear what happened?" Mom's voice filled with shock and anxiety. 

"No, why? What is it?"

"David had an accident an hour back, and they couldn't save him. Gosh! The boy died; I still can't believe!"

O wow! David died? Must be some coincidence, and not anything related to my message! 

"How's that happened? I mean, the accident?" 

"He was found in his car, head like a distorted heap of blood and flesh! He was heading towards this way, inside our locality. The weirdest thing is, he told his mom he's gonna have to meet you ASAP before leaving the house. Didn't you guys break up? Don't wanna get nosy but was it anything important between you to talk about?"

"Uh-huh" I indistinctly uttered. Now Mom's words cut through my numb brain like a flash of lightening. Is it really happening? God! I can be dead aggressive in writing notes on my phone but I don't have the heart to murder someone. Still there was a flicker of possibility that it was a mere coincidence. 

Mom took her purse before ducking out of the house, "I'm going to Brenda's place, she must be devastated after losing the only son. Poor thing! Oh! Casey asked me to tell you something else, um… Some girl from your class, Nina hanged herself this morning. God bless the young generation! Why would you guys have to die at this age!" she exhaled a deep sigh. 

 How could I keep living with the guilt of a murderer! Being a murderer without even attempting to murder... Being under the "magickal" force when the whole time, I longed my life to be "magical"! I was a regular girl until... I was not anymore. 

The story could end right there. But did it? Nope. I woke up from the nightmare panting heavily. Cold sweat started rolling down my temples. Oh! thank God, it was a dream, a bad...BAD one! I’m just so happy that I’m not Mark Twain... I looked up at the ceiling for a while before clambering down the bed to drink water. The kitchen light was on, which seemed a little weird cos it was almost 3 in the morning. Maybe mom forgot to turn it off after being done with the huge workloads her boss shoves at her every day. I poured a glass of water when I heard the sound. Instantly my heart leapt up to my throat. And again! "What is happening over there? What's this sound?" gulping hard I look over my shoulder. I was almost paralyzed with fear when a shadow seemed to move around the corner of the stairs. Shakily, I moved towards the kitchen door. 

"Lily? You there?" Dad's voice filled with fear and something else I didn't quite comprehend. 

"Dad? What is it? Why are you up this late?"

"It's your mom... She, she hanged herself."

"You kidding, right? Why would she do that?"

"It's not her! It can't be her... She acted like a total possessed... I tried to stop her but she just shoved me away. She seemed so strong and I failed to save her, Lily!" his eyes tearing up. 

Now! How would I describe it? Did I bring the curse on my own mother by writing down a silly text? 

"Dad, wait up. You shouldn't go outside now. Please, no..."

Before I could finish my words, dad was already outside the house. He actually could've just called 911 but he went out himself instead. Why? To become a heap of blood and flesh? My limbs stiffened and I kept standing right there thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. I really was a regular girl until... well, I was not ANYMORE.

October 16, 2020 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

09:11 Oct 24, 2020

It was rushed. Some questions needed answers. I mean, how did the father die? You didn't talk about that except how he went outside to become blood and bones. I know this is a short story and of course, you are restricted by the word limit but adding a few emotions in it other than what you gave would make it beautiful. Next is paragraphs. I'm sure you know paragraphs make reading easier. You honestly need to break up the story into paragraphs. That's about it. Now here's what I liked: You captured the feeling of pain during breakups wel...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.