An Artist's Achievement

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write about someone trying something completely new.... view prompt

1 comment

Inspirational Gay Happy

New Year's Day came with many unexpected surprises. The first day to start weight loss goals. The first day to start writing a book that’s been trapped in your mind for a long time. The first day to research a new hobby, or new recipes to make.

For Pam, New Year’s Day came with the long awaited news she’s been waiting for since November: her acceptance email to table a booth at the next Lexington Comic and Toy Convention in March. She had a bit of doubt it would ever come, or that she’d get rejected. She spent months creating prints of characters, stickers and even designs for some keychains. Now, all of her hard work has finally paid off.

“Crystal! I’m gonna be a vendor at con!!” Pam shouted to her girlfriend Crystal.

Crystal was in the kitchen, pouring coffee for the two of them. She stopped mid-pour when she heard the news. “Seriously!?”

Pam ran down the stairs with her phone gripped in her hands. “The email came in a few minutes ago! Right here!”

Crystal screamed in excitement as she looked at the email Pam had pulled up on her phone. “Honey, congrats! I’m so proud of you!”

“Thanks. But now the real work begins.” Pam scrolled through the guidelines in the email. “I need to send payment for the booth, and start making orders for my items.”

“You already have the crates to hang your merch on? Also a cloth or banner?”

Pam had pre-planned most things when this day came. “The banner is set to arrive in a few weeks. I’m gonna use that tablecloth we used for Thanksgiving as a base. Finally…” Pam went through her phone really quickly, clicking through Amazon. She then showed her screen to Crystal, which displayed the confirmation order for the display cases she’d need. “The materials will arrive by next week.”

Crystal nodded in amazement as she handed Pam her coffee. “I should know by now to not underestimate you.”

Pam sipped her coffee and smirked. “Yeah…you should. Anyway, I just need to tweak some of my pieces, and send them off to be copied, laminated and printed. Stickers I can make here.” She ran her to-do list through Crystal, going on for about thirty minutes. She wanted to get everything started that day, but it was still New Years. Even Crystal had to remind her that they still had plans that day, and that she did have plenty of time to get everything she needed before the convention. That still didn’t stop Pam from grabbing her journal and pen, and documenting an entire task list to prepare for everything. 

At New Year’s lunch, Pam told her family about the exciting news. Her younger siblings were the most excited for her. So were others…except for Aunt Hailey, who stared at Pam with a raised eyebrow.

“I thought you were going to grow up from drawing these…cartoons.” Hailey’s tone was very condescending, which shut the mood down across the room. “You have a steady job and a decent income. Why still fixate on childish things like conventions and cartoon characters?”

Pam wasn’t surprised by her aunt’s criticism. She’s put up with this since she was fifteen. But the difference was, Pam gained enough confidence to stand up to family members like her Aunt Hailey who judge every little thing she does in her life. “Just because I have a decent job doesn’t mean I don’t want to try turning my hobbies and passions into a job or another way to make money while having fun. I have a good following on social media. I do get commissions every now and then and add a little extra to my finances. There’s nothing wrong with being childish every once in a while.”

Hailey sighed disgruntled, taking in a sip of her water. “How do you know you’ll make enough money selling your work at this convention thing?”

“Hailey, she doesn’t have to explain anything to you.” Pam’s dad stepped in for his daughter. “Just be happy for her, or at least pretend to be. It’s the new year, and you’re already starting out with negativity.”

“Fine.” Hailey sighed with frustration, and said, “Good for you, Pam.” She raised her glass towards pam. “Hope you’re able to make enough money from this.”

The backhanded comment didn’t phase Pam. She smirked at her aunt. “Thanks. I’m sure I will.”

That evening, Pam was going through tutorial videos on how to prepare for a convention, and what important things she needed to keep in mind while getting ready for hers. While she was trying to get her mind off of lunch, Pam still couldn’t let go of the things her Aunt Hailey said to her. All of her art that was hung up around her small work studio warped into ugly scribbles, and Pam had to fight the anxiety to throw everything away and question if she was really ready to be a con vendor.

“Your aunt is still a piece of work.” Crystal started venting while squeezing her monkey squish plushie. “I can’t believe she’d try to shame you like that. Especially in front of teens.”

“She’s…always like that.” Pam sighed. “It’s how she sucks the life and joy out of people to make herself feel better.”

Crystal could hear the self-doubt in Pam’s tone, and went over to hug her from behind. “What’s wrong, baby? Did Hailey’s words really get to you?”

Pam sighed, knowing she couldn’t hide her emotions from Crystal. “Maybe…she got to me a little bit. I don’t know…”

“Pam, look at me.” Crystal went around and held Pam’s face in her hands. “You are super talented. You've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, and I've seen you improve your skills to get to where you are. The rest of your family is proud of you. I'm proud of you. You deserve this.”

“How did you not get into motivational speaking?” Pam giggled. 

The two started laughing together, lightening the mood. “Come on. You need to rest. We have a lot of work to do in the coming months before the con.”

                                       —---------------------------------------------------------

Pam stuck to a consistent schedule of drawing a few more prints and keychains to sell, sending orders out for the final designs. Crystal helped with cutting out the stickers, and organizing everything.

By February, Pam had begun practicing setting up her booth, and how she'd organize everything. Crystal took pictures of it for them to reference. 

“This…looks perfect.” Pam said in relief.

“Looks like we got all of the prints you need. Also, we got our room reservation at the hotel.” Crystal opened the link on her phone.

“I can't believe I'm so close to seeing this dream come true.”

Crystal gave Pam a kiss on the forehead. “You're gonna do great, babe. Now, let's take this apart and make sure we pack everything perfectly.”

                                           —------------------------------------------------

The day finally came. Pam and Crystal had everything packed up, and we're on their way to the convention hall to set everything up. Pam filled out forms, and received her vendor badge. 

This…This was it.

Crystal and Pam found their designated table and started setting everything up. As they did, they talked with other artist vendors, sharing stories and laughing together. Pam listened to the stories some of them told about the different conventions they've tabled at. Two of them have even recognized Pam from social media, which made her feel like a celebrity a little bit.

After setting everything up and covering the booth up until tomorrow, Pam, Crystal and a few others went out for some drinks.

“Your art is seriously amazing.” A comic artist named Jared started complimenting Pam's work. 

“Thanks. That means a lot.”

“Actually, funny thing,” Their other new friend Samantha pulled out her phone and showed a picture of her little sister. “...my sister got a commission from you last summer.” She showed a pic of her sister holding up a piece Pam made of Amity from The Owl House.

“Oh yeah! I had a blast making that for her.” Pam's heart skipped a beat seeing this little girl smile at something she made.

Samantha started giggling. “She was so excited when it arrived. It's framed over her work desk. She's actually coming Saturday. I'll tell her to stop by your booth.”

“I'd love to meet her in person.” Her heart raced faster. She was potentially going to meet fans of her work. There were some of her followers who said they'd be at the con to see her. Pam had even posted pictures of the booth, and where she'd be for guests to find her. Every second that passed, she realized this was not some dream she was having.

Still…it didn't stop Pam from having an out of body experience. Especially when Thursday came around. 

Her and Crystal sat behind the booth, watching guests of all ages flood into the vendor hall. The announcer welcomed everyone to the event, then played music of all genres. 

Thursday was a bit of a slow day. Most of the people there were only there to get their badges and window shop at booths that were already open. Pam didn't expect to sell a lot of things that day. Though she did make a few sales of keychains and stickers. A few people came by to buy some prints.

Friday was a little better. Pam had some Instagram and Twitter followers stop by to say hi to her. They introduced their friends to her and were geeking out over Pam’s prints and keychains. She made more sales, even selling out of a few stickers. But she assured her customers she had more to restock. Many people even took her social media card, and followed her right then and there.

Saturday. The big day. The best and busiest time of a convention. Panels to see. Actors and celebrities to meet. Merch to buy. 

“Ready for the big day, hon?” Crystal asked, as she came back to the booth with a cup of coffee and a muffin. 

Pam took a long, slow sip of the coffee, exhaling the stress that loomed in her chest and threatened to crush her. “I think so.” She had everything set up to track her sales, and ready to restock items. Pam had a few moments of downtime, where she started making sketches in her drawing pad, planning new art for the next time she decides to table another convention. This dream came true. Why not make it happen a second time?

“Pam-cakes17?”

Pam heard her social media handle, jolting her head up to a sixteen year old girl with widened eyes. “Uhh, yeah. That’s me.” She then realized who the girl was. “Wait…you’re Samantha’s sister!”

She nodded, excited that Pam knew who she was. “Yeah! I’m Katie!” 

“It’s nice to officially meet you. I’m glad you’re enjoying the commission I made for you.”

“Yeah, it’s awesome!” Kate exclaimed. “I want to fill an entire wall with your art! Sam even gave me extra cash so I could buy some prints from you!”

Pam and Crystal smiled at this girl, who started darting her eyes around the different prints Pam had on display. Katie settled on three different prints, one of them being an original piece, and got a little discount. Pam even threw in a keychain.

“I can’t wait to put these up! I’m gonna find the best frames for them!” Katie exclaimed, clinging the prints against her chest.

“Send me a DM when you hang them up. Okay?” Pam asked.

Katie nodded in excitement. “Also…this may be asking a bit. But…can I get a picture with you?”

Pam’s heart skipped a beat when Katie asked her for this request. No words could describe the feeling of accomplishment she had at that moment. This girl was excited to see her at this convention. Excited to get a picture with Pam. To even be acknowledged. 

Seeing Katie walk away with a skip in her step, and happiness in her heart for what Pam had created, Pam’s dreams…had finally been achieved. This was a feeling she was going to hold on to for the rest of her art career.

January 01, 2024 16:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristi Gott
02:03 Jan 11, 2024

I love this story because it describes the experience so well of how one person's condescending criticism can take the joy out of another person. Art is subjective and not everyone will "get it" or relate to it. I can relate to this experience and I'm sure many, or most other people can also. Well written! Good idea and told well! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.