A Peculiar Correspondence

Written in response to: Write a story that includes the line, "Is nobody going to say it?".... view prompt

5 comments

Funny Romance Fiction

Mrs Lillian M. Atherton

881 S Wildcreek Rd

Bidvillage

Dear Mrs Atherton,

I am sure that you were in no way expecting a letter from me. It did not, after all, even occur to me to write you until last night, when it struck me that, though we have never met, we now share a common plight, one that should be properly addressed and dealt with; my dear lady, we must be the ones to do it. 

We have, in fact, been neighbors for some time. If we had not, of course, none of this (and I am sure you know what I refer to) would have ever happened. That, however, is besides the point. What is done is done, and what is fact is fact, and the fact of the matter is that you and I have been put in an unfortunate situation and that we are in fact in very close proximity to each other. Therefore, I think it would be quite wise to remain in contact and attempt, in some way, to figure this thing out. The only reason I did not come to visit you in person, for tea and such, is because my poor mother is dealing badly with the shock of what has happened and I must remain close by her side to care for her. She never believed that one of her grandchildren, especially her beloved John, could do such a thing as he managed to do. It still remains our duty, as mothers, to take charge and solve the problem! I trust you share my sentiments.

Please write back at your soonest convenience,

Sincerely, 

Mrs Emaline L Austin

Mrs Emaline L Austin

910 Elmwood Blvd

Hitherton

Dear Mrs Emaline, 

I was, of course, completely delighted to receive your letter (we rarely get any) but also a bit puzzled. I recognized your name the instant I saw it, but could not recall from where. As for the dilemma you refer to, I’m not entirely sure what you are talking about. 

And I must, without at all trying to offend you, correct you on a couple of things. My name is just Lily, not Lillian, and I don’t have any children. I’ve looked after my younger sister, Jeweliana, since our mother died, but I am not married and I am not a mother.

Is it possible that you have sent your lovely letter to the wrong address?

Yours truly, 

Lily Atherton

Miss Lily M. Atherton

881 S Wildcreek Rd

Bidvillage

Dear Miss Atherton,

I do not believe at all that I sent my letter to the wrong address, because your young sister, (though I am sure you tried your very best to raise her) is actually the very source of our shared problem. The one involving my youngest son, John, and Jeweliana, the girl he rarely spoke of but has always seemed… well, very taken with. I disapproved, of course, because I had never even met her, and also because of her name - it seemed rather ridiculous, I must say! However, John was completely enamored with the girl, who I thought was your daughter, but I now know, because of your polite correction, is your sister. 

I am sure you are missing your dear sister very much, as I miss my John. I do not think it right for such young people to make such a decision without the permission of their elders (which, in this situation, could not have possibly been granted, naturally!), and it was a complete shock to me and my dear mother, as I have already told you. 

Now that we have straightened things out, perhaps we can discuss what we might do about it to return both John and your sister back home, where they might be convinced to come to their senses. Surely, since you and your sister must have been very close, she might have told you where they planned on going? I simply cannot stand the idea of them both, alone, not knowing what they are doing!

Please send your response as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Mrs Emaline L. Austin

Mrs Emaline L Austin

910 Elmwood Blvd

Hitherton

Dear Mrs Emaline,

I remember now why I recognized your name! It is the same name of that wonderful young man who came by our house so often, John Austin. He and Jewel met down by the creek one day, I think. She was quite taken with him (I don’t blame her - I might have fallen in love with him too if she hadn’t gotten to him first!) and he, with her, from what I could tell. John dropped by often to see Jewel and they would go on long walks to talk. I thought it was awfully romantic and sweet at first. Young love and all that! When John began dropping in more and more frequently, however, I began to wonder how long it would be before they got married!

Well, it seemed I was right, wasn’t I? I do miss Jewel a good deal, but, since she is her own woman now (sixteen just this last spring. I was younger when I became the woman of the house!) she obviously did not feel the need to tell me immediately where she planned to go. 

I’m really very sorry about your mother. Perhaps she did not know that John was in love? I wish her the best of health and please tell her that her John is surely very happy, wherever he is. 

Yours truly,

Lily Atherton

Miss Lily M. Atherton

881 S Wildcreek Rd

Bidvillage

Dear Miss Atherton,

I certainly knew that John was “In love” as he - and you - called it, and so did my mother, but being “In love” is not sufficient enough a reason to go off and… do what they did. I am his mother, and must therefore decide what is best for him, and though I am sure your sister is a lovely young woman, she should not have been so irresponsible to run off with John. He himself has responsibilities such as school that he cannot simply run away from. He showed increasing displeasure for most anything that he had to do over the past few months, and I believe he might have only used your sister as a way to escape the things in his life he did not consider to be worth his time. And your sister obviously did not consider it worth her time to tell you where she planned on going. Both acted irresponsibly, without consideration for anyone else. Eloping, I mean! I did not want to say it, but if no one else was going to I must, and it must be said if it is to be dealt with. 

I have to say that I was shocked when you told me that John had been frequently visiting your home to see your sister. I had no idea that this was occurring. He told me every time he left the house that he was fishing in the creek, or off to meet friends from the nearby village. From what you tell me, he was doing more than fishing at the creek and he met more than friends in the neighboring town. I know you thought that he visited you with some sort of permission from his parents. At the same time, it would have been far more convenient if you had simply contacted me to ask and make sure; that way we might have avoided all this trouble. But you were forced to take care of your sister at such a young age, I do not blame you for any unfortunate mistakes you might have made. 

Please write back as soon as possible.

Sincerely, 

Mrs Emaline L. Austin

Mrs Emaline L Austin

910 Elmwood Blvd

Hitherton

Dear Mrs Emaline,

I’m afraid that you have it all quite wrong. John, I think, became more unhappy with his chores because he was soon to be done with them, as he and Jewel were going to be married. They were married, you know? They did not just elope! They were very much in love and I think they were eager to begin their lives as husband and wife. And there is no doubt that they were in love. No doubt at all. Perhaps you did not see them together, but I never even considered any other possibility. They got married a month ago, in August, in the little chapel down the road from our home. I had thought that John did not have family in these parts, since no one except for him, Jewel, and me, and a few others attended the wedding. They told me that they wished to move away promptly afterwards, but could not tell me where. I think they were still deciding themselves. Jewel promised to send me a letter as soon as they had settled somewhere.

I am very sorry that John never told what he was doing, but it was his choice, after all, and perhaps he knew you would not approve. I’m not saying that he was right in not telling you, but he was 18, his own man. If he wished to marry, he had the right to. He was very proper, if you ask me, though, in the affair. He asked my permission to marry Jewel and everything. He is a wonderful gentleman. You raised him very well. 

Yours truly,

 Lily Atherton

Miss Lily M. Atherton

881 S Wildcreek Rd

Bidvillage

I am shocked, simply shocked at what you have told me. We need not correspond anymore - I see that you do not care for the wellness of my son or your own sister. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, 

Mrs Emaline L. Austin

Rev. James R. Brown

801 S Windowill Rd

Bidvillage

Dear sir,

I write to you to discuss the mindless manner in which you recently married two young people without first contacting their parents…

July 19, 2024 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

RJ Holmquist
22:48 Jul 26, 2024

"I am sure you tried your very best..." Great line, funny but also reveals a lot about the character using it! Well done!

Reply

Olive Silirus
19:50 Jul 30, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:53 Jul 19, 2024

Mrs. Austin is determined to undermine her son's choices.

Reply

Olive Silirus
21:28 Jul 21, 2024

Quite. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:16 Jul 21, 2024

Happy to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.