0 comments

Holiday

"Alright class! The year is almost over. What do you think you could do better in next year?" He looked in the direction of a few boys who were in the middle of poking a poor girl with a pencil to ask her for homework. The boys immediately stopped at the teacher's harsh gaze.

"Anyway, each of you need to write three resolutions and they are due next week. Don't forget the fifth draft of your personal narrative is due then as well. Class dismissed!" The bell rang and the kids ran out of the building. Vanessa O'Mara was devastated.

Vanessa O'Mara's are in every school you could possibly go to. Pretty, popular, rich, stylish, and too good for anyone else except one guy who she chooses as a king of your school. This particular king was known as Neil Ahmad.

You probably have a Neil in your school too. Obnoxious, too good at sports, cool, handsome, and rich. Then you have the group. They follow these two around like they have no other purpose in life. This particular day they were discussing the stupid assignment. The conversation went something like this:

Vanessa said "OMG, this stupid Resolution thing is a total waste of time. I could like be like posting or something instead."

Marla, a complete Vanessa fanatic added on "Yeah, I-"

"Shut Up Marla! You're doing it for me anyway. You don't need to talk. What do you think honey?" with that, she leaned her head into his shoulder and smiled. He nodded and said "Yeah Vany. It's so stupid."

This went on for a while until they got home. The teenagers parted ways, Marla with Vanessa's homework, Neil confused with his, and Vanessa posting pictures all the way back. The teacher watched this all, confused and startled. But he waited until the next day to expose Vanessa.

Vanessa got home and her father was nowhere to be found. He was probably off somewhere never bothering about his daughter at home. The maid handed her some snacks as she went up to her room. She took a few more selfies and sent them to Neil.

Her life was like this everyday, carefree but wondering if her father cared about her at all. All her followers told her she was gorgeous and had a great body, but was she really that great? She never could answer this question. Her mother was nonexistent as well.

Her maid had been the one to care for her all those years. She was like the mother she never had. She helped her on her first period, shopped with her for bras, and always made her feel loved. But it wasn't the same.

Vanessa barely heard it, but she knew that noise. It was a mix of sniffling, crying, and trying to cover it. She got out of her room and found her maid crying. She helped her maid up and into her room.

She consoled her until the maid would stop crying enough to speak. "M-m-yy daugh-t-t-ee-rr waa-n-nts to go to col-l-ege but I can't pay for her. She got in, but they won't give her a scholarship." Vanessa was shocked. She never heard about this before. She thought that her maid was paid a lot. "Who is your daughter?" She looked up at me with a sad look on her face.

"Marla. She is the smartest little girl ever. She thinks you are great too. She loves you." Then she realized why Marla always did her homework. Why they wouldn't give her a scholarship. Marla was gay.

Vanessa looked through her room for money and managed to get all her credit cards and cash. She gave them to her maid, her true mother. Not by birth, by heart. "Tell Marla I'll never ask her to do something again, starting now." The maid left, happy and content hugging Vanessa to death.

Vanessa opened her Macbook and began to type. "This year, I thought I was perfect. I didn't need to write any resolutions. But now I have three. Here they are.

  1. I will start a fund to give away money for students who need it.
  2. I will do my homework by myself.
  3. I will do my best in school.

With that she closed the lid and slept peacefully, knowing the new year would be much better.

January 18, 2020 21:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.