Meadowsweet Coven's Samhain

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a group of witches meeting up on Halloween night.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

The Meadowsweet Coven will meet at the harvest gathering spot for Samhain.

Altars will be placed at the pentagram stations surrounding the bonfire for those wishing to share.

Rituals to be performed will honor the dead, reflect over new entries in grimoires, welcome visiting spirits, and light the way for the lost souls.

Schedule of events:

Hail and Well Met at sundown

Silent Feast will begin at 7 p.m. on Halloween.

Pumpkin Carving at 8 p.m.

Book of Shadows Reflection will begin at 9 p.m.

Lighting the Bonfire at 11 p.m.

Moonlight Dance, Tripping the Stars dancing, Harvest costumes, and more   

Private altars may be set up for chanting and divination.

Rachel re-read the invitation in her email that had arrived two weeks ago. Other coven members that were planning on attending sent emails checking to see if she would be there. She glanced at the calendar hanging on the wall over her desk. Halloween was tomorrow.

She then glanced at her cat, Samson. Samson was a short-haired calico with a white star and white socks. She would fill the automatic feeder and waterer for Samson before she left. He would be fine for the few days that Rachel would be gone.

Rachel was, usually, a solo practitioner daily. However. she would attend the coven for the eight Sabbats. She was middle-aged, of average height, with a somewhat full build under the roomy clothes she wore. Rachel’s hair was brown with highlights of white broadcasting her age.

Rachel picked up the list from her desk and went to the hall closet where she pulled out her carpetbag and a leather suitcase with a valise set. She set the carpetbag on the floor next to the altar before going to her bedroom. The lavender wainscoting in the bedroom was complemented by a floral wallpaper scattered with blue, pink, and lavender posies. Placing the suitcase and valise on her sleigh bed, Rachel turned to the closet, what would she wear?

After taking several long gowns from the closet, she held two up at a time to compare them to each other. She finally decided to wear the red faux suede enchantress robe with her hooded pixie shoulder cape. And to honor the season, her long orange and black stripe socks with her black ballet style flats would complete her ensemble. Rachel neatly packed her choices into the suitcase, along with extra traveling clothes and emergency overnight clothing. Rachel felt prepared for any possible clothing disaster along the way.

Pangs of hunger shot through Rachel’s system, she decided to take a break from the packing and make some dinner. Rachel decided to make a lentil soup, steamed broccoli, and some avocado toast.  She gathered all the ingredients that she would need for the soup before prepping the vegetables.

Once, Rachel, had all the vegetables chopped or minced, she set about opening the canned items that she would be using in the soup. She then placed her lentils in a bowl of water to wash them. Swishing them around, she watched empty hulls float to the surface. Rachel always pictured different images when soaking beans, much like reading tea leaves. Today the hulls came together in the shape of Eihwaz, the Yew tree rune.

Rachel interpreted this to be a good sign that her life was in a state of serenity. She would have an uneventful drive to meet the Meadowsweet Coven. Rachel thought of the friends that she would be meeting up with at the gathering. Jan, her lithesome long-time friend, and Yvonne, older and prophetic. Rachel wanted to talk to Jan about studying the I Ching.

Jan had the discipline to jog everyday rain or shine. Nothing deterred Jan from her goals. Jan would change her hair color every few months depending on the season. Rachel wondered what the hair color would be for the gathering.

Yvonne would also attend the gathering. Rachel had heard from Yvonne that the last of her children had moved out. Yvonne was a numerist and would be tossing coins while at the gathering. Many in the coven sought out Yvonne for I Ching answers, and Rachel was not an exception.

Samson walked across the kitchen floor and rubbed against Rachel’s leg. He meowed, rousing Rachel from her thoughts, to let her know that the food bowl was empty. One could keep time by Samson’s ritual cravings. At 6 a.m., Samson wanted a bowl of milk, a bowl of kibble, and fresh water set out. When Samson did not like the water, he would flip the dish over, then hold his tail straight up in the air as he marched from the porch. At 7 a.m., Samson would settle the sunlight beaming through the living room window, where he would groom himself before taking a nap. After the nap, Samson would play with toys or stalk specks of dust floating in the air. Another nap in the office’s afternoon sunlight before it is time for food again.

Pausing to feed Samson, Rachel eventually continued preparing the soup. She sauteed onions, garlic, and ginger. When the onions were transparent, she added fire-roasted tomatoes and spinach. She seasoned the mixture with salt, cumin, and pepper before stirring in coconut milk and the lentils. While the soup simmered, Rachel made the avocado toast and steamed the broccoli.

She then set the dinette table for her dinner. Stepping back to examine the table, Rachel decided music would help relax her during dinner. She chose to listen to reiki music. Rachel checked on the soup before filling a glass with water. She grabbed the plate holding the toast and moved to the dining room. After setting the water and toast down, the next items to be brought to the table were a cruet of olive oil, the salt grinder, and the bowl of broccoli. Brwring … the timer on the stove went off. The soup was ready. Rachel stirred the soup, before ladling some into her bowl.

Filling up on the meal she had prepared, Rachel cleared the table. She loaded the dirty dishes into the sink and turned on the water. Rachel took out a covered bowl from the cabinet and poured the remainder of the lentil soup into it. She would bring it with her in the car. Then she washed and dried all the dishes before putting them away in the cabinets. She wiped down the counters and stovetop before returning to her packing.

Rachel picked up the valise and went into her studio. The entire wall opposite the window was lined with 8 door cabinets. This is where Rachel kept the ingredients that she used. There were herbs and oils, and candles in their own cabinets. Incense and a wax melting pot shared a cabinet with corn husks and gourds. She had color selections of yarns, threads, and cloth. Behind one of the cabinet’s doors were a collection of censers, thuribles, and burners. Rachel believed that scents could have a positive effect on a person.

Picking through the selections, Rachel chose to bring along some medicinal herbs, essential oils, ritual candles, and Dragon’s blood incense. She carefully added her selections to the valise. She then chose a couple of candleholders, incense burners, and an oil burner. Rachel topped the valise off with holy water, tea lights, and matches. Having filled the valise, Rachel latched the case and set it next to the suitcase.

All that was left to pack was the carpetbag. This would carry her grimoire and book of shadows. She placed a small bag containing healing crystals next to the books. A yoga mat rested on top, protecting the books from any damage. Finally, her tarot deck wrapped in purple satin was placed into the carpetbag. All of Rachel’s bags were lined up by the door, ready to be packed into the car in the morning.

Rachel went into the bathroom and turned on the water for a shower. While the water was warming up, Samson came into the bathroom and sniffed at Rachel’s toes. He then jumped onto the lid of the toilet seat, to wait out his owner’s ritual cleansing. Samson bent his head down to lick at the fur on his chest, then worked his way down each leg. Rachel scratched between Samson’s ears before stepping into the shower.

The aroma of lavender and coconut wafted up into Rachel’s senses, relaxing her as the hot water washed away the day’s cares. Samson had jumped from the toilet and moved to the side of the tub. He nosed the shower curtain out of way and peeked in. Water from the showerhead fell onto Samson’s head. He shook his head, turned, and ran off.

Rachel put on her nightgown. Then she checked all the doors to ensure that they were locked. While in the kitchen, she retrieved the automatic feeder and waterer from the back of the cabinet. She would set those up for Samson in the morning.   crawled into the sleigh bed. Satisfied that she was prepared to leave in the morning, she allowed herself to yawn before heading to the bedroom.

Rachel climbed into the sleigh bed and wiggled to get comfortable in the pillows. She turned on her bedtime music selection. Then drawing the green velour blanket over her shoulders, Rachel closed her eyes. Soon Rachel was sleeping soundly amid foggy dreams.

In the morning, Rachel’s eyes eased open. She could see the morning fog was still covering the lawn. She slid her feet into her house slippers, trudged to the bathroom basin to wash her face, before heading to the kitchen to start her tea water. With a deep sigh, Rachel realized that today was Halloween.

The tea kettle was whistled. She placed a tea bag in her cup then added water after turning off the burner. Rachel left the cup on the counter to steep while she dressed for traveling. Samson watched his mistress leave the kitchen then jumped onto the counter. He walked over to the steaming cup.

The peppermint aroma teased Samson. He searched the counter area for the source of the smell. Deciding that the aroma was coming from the cup, Samson lowered his head until his whiskers touched the hot surface. Jerking his head up from the cup, Samson stared at the cup’s contents. He lowered his head again to sniff inside the cup before testing the contents with his tongue.

“Samson, where are you boy?” Rachel said. “Let’s get you some breakfast.”

Samson jumped down from the countertop and then ran into the bedroom at the sound of Rachel’s voice. He strode around her ankles, tail held high, purring with each brush against Rachel’s skin. Samson then leaped onto the bed and watched as Rachel finished getting ready for the day.

Rachel picked Samson up. She nuzzled her face into the cat’s fur. Then petted him as she carried him into the kitchen. Rachel bent over and set Samson on the floor. She then filled the feeder with kibbles before setting it down on Samson’s feeding mat. Next, she filled the waterer, adding a couple of drops of vitamins to the water before setting the water next to the kibbles on the mat.

Rachel took a sip of the tea. She allowed the warm liquid to make its way down her throat before taking another sip. Having decided what to do next, Rachel set the cup down on the countertop before heading out of the kitchen.  

Hunting down all of Samson’s toys scattered throughout the house was part of the morning routine. She found a catnip mouse under the dining room table, a moppy ball next to the bathroom door, a plushie next to the dresser in her bedroom, and a jingle ball next to the sofa in the living room. She placed all the toys that she had gathered into Samson’s toybox in the corner of the living room. While in the living room, Rachel examined the scratching post before giving it a quarter turn.  

Finally, she was ready to make some breakfast. The customary oatmeal was waiting on the counter. She poured some oatmeal into a bowl, added some water, and a pinch of salt. Then popped the bowl into the microwave. Rachel drank her tea while waiting for the ding of the microwave. Setting the teacup in the sink, she grabbed a glass from the cabinet and went over to the refrigerator. Ding sounded the microwave timer. Rachel settled for pineapple juice and poured it into the glass before getting her oatmeal.

Cold juice in the left hand, hot cereal in the right hand, Rachel proceeded into the dining room. She placed the two items on the table before taking a seat. Rachel took a sip of juice before attempting to eat the oatmeal. She was astounded when she groped around for a spoon and could not find one. Rising from the table she headed back into the kitchen to retrieve a spoon.

After breakfast, she washed up the dishes that she had used that morning. Afterward, she packed her suitcases into the trunk of the sporty red coupe in the carport. Rachel went back into the house to make one final inspection before grabbing her purse. She climbed behind the wheel of the car and started the engine. Suddenly, Rachel remembered the lentil soup in the refrigerator. She hurried back inside her house to get it.

After the fog had burned off, the day was very pleasant. Rachel had reservations to stay at the White Rose Inn in the quaint little town of Olvey. The gathering spot was only a few minutes from the town. She changed into her celebration clothes and left the suitcase in her room.

Rachel stopped at the Candle’s Belle. She always enjoyed browsing through the shop. She found some pieces of New Age literature and a homemade amber balm. Rachel paid for her purchases before heading to the gathering spot.

Rachel had briefly studied Feng Shui during her teen years, so she knew the southeast corner was the Xun area of the Bagua map. This area was aligned with wealth and prosperity. Rachel set up a small altar to display the herbs and crystals that she had brought.

“Hail and well met,” she said as members passed by.

“Goody Rachel.” A voice called from behind.

Rachel turned around to see Yvonne approaching her.

“Hail and well met, Goody Yvonne.”

“Hail and well met.” Yvonne returned the greeting. The two women warmly hugged each other. 

“I am so happy to see that you have recovered from bronchitis, Yvonne.”

“I was worried that I would not be able to attend the celebration because of it. I used some of that lingonberry peppermint tea that you had sent me. And the eucalyptus green tea candle was very relaxing. I owe my being here to you, Rachel.”

“I did nothing out of the ordinary,” Rachel replied.

“Goody Yvonne, Goody Rachel, so nice to see that you made it.”

Turning both women saw that Jan had joined them.

“Hail and well met, Goody Jan,” Yvonne replied.

“Hail and well met Goody Yvonne,” Jan answered. “Hail and well met, Goody Rachel.”

“Hail and well met, Goody Jan.” Rachel noticed that Jan had one wide streak of black on the right side of her orange head. Leave it to Jan to celebrate by coloring her hair.

With the coven greetings performed, the three women chatted together about the past three months. They had a lot to catch up on, Jan’s promotion, Yvonne’s latest litter, and Rachel’s herb garden. More of the coven showed up while the women talked, occasionally greeting as members joined them.

As torches were lit around the area, Rachel knew that soon, it would be time for the silent feast. A buffet had been laid out for the coven members with all sorts of appetizing dishes. There were dishes for both the vegans and the non-vegans so no one in the coven could complain. A bell sounded signifying the beginning of the Silent Feast.

Pumpkins were on tables for customary carving. Bolines were placed next to each pumpkin for each member. The white bone-handled utility knife were gifts for each coven member. There were scary faces carved on some of the pumpkins, while a few of the pumpkins had funny faces. There were mirthful sounds as the coven carved the pumpkins.

When Rachel finished carving her pumpkin, she retrieved her grimoire and book of shadows and headed to the Gen area for the Reflections discussion. She placed her distinctive books on the table before helping with setting up the folding chairs. Soon every seat was filled as a somber hush fell over the crowd as each member talked about what had been entered into their tomes. An occasional question would be asked. Some members jotted down new spells that were mentioned.

In the silence of the evening remembrances, a crackling was heard. Suddenly, the middle was ablaze as the bonfire began. Members made their way into the circle of light cast by the fire. They held hands and circled around the fire in a reverent dance. The flickering flames cast long shadows across the grass.

Chanting began, growing in volume as the coven danced. As the veil between life and death thinned, the chanting became more fervent. At the witching hour of midnight, the dancing and chanting ceased. The coven waited a respectable amount of time for the lost souls to make their way to the afterlife before releasing hands.  

All the somber rituals performed; the celebration turned festive. It was time to celebrate the New Year according to the Wiccan calendar. The merrymaking witches showed their excitement for the upcoming future.

Rachel left the frolicking behind in the early morning hours. When she got back to the inn, she checked the time. It was 2:30, she would be able to sleep in late. She laid down in the soft bed and closing her eyes she fell asleep. 

October 27, 2020 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.