Dog World

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids Inspirational Friendship

“Good Morning!” the soft furry bright white Pomeranian barked out and continued, “Today we are welcoming a new friend in our group. Nancy is a pug, and she has arrived in our society yesterday evening.” Percy gave a small smile and all dogs barked loudly welcoming Nancy, some patting her and shaking hands with her.

Bruno, the pitch black Doberman barked at last and all the dogs re-assembled themselves in a neat circle with their leashes kept besides them.

Percy took charge again, “So I request Nancy to tell us something about herself.”

The timid and slightly shy Nancy let out a nervous bark, “Hi all! I am Nancy and I was staying in a pound… and was adopted by this nice family yesterday… and was given my new name… and a very soft blue bed… and the girl you saw who brought me to the park is my master… and her name is Joyce and she studies in college… and… thank you all!” She took a step backwards and felt stupid for not speaking up properly.

“Well well… That’s very nice of you Nancy,” and Percy moved to the next point. “There are complaints against Frankie that he has been barking at night and waking up the whole colony.”

Bruno stepped forward towards the German Spaniel who had ducked his head now, “Frankie, this should be the last warning to behave properly. While you were a puppy, we have ignored many mischievous acts. But waking the whole society would be the last straw leading to your expulsion very soon to a pound.” Bruno went back and his stern voice was clear with the message that was not meant only for Frankie. Frankie let out a meek whine of displeased agreement.

“You may ask Nancy about her life in pound which will help you all ponder over your behavior,” Bruno added to his advice.

Percy’s soft voice, in contrast to that of Bruno, was audible again, “Other friends should also note that in case Frankie misbehaves again, none of us should be joining him barking and raising the hell.” Percy save a cunning smile and went on, “And the last point of today’s meeting is to inform all that Samuel is feeling much better today after he broke his leg last week. Hopefully he will be back on all his four by this weekend and see us in the park.”

All the dogs cheered with joyous barks and dispersed to play on the lawn. With a nodding neck, Percy indicated to Nancy that she should greet Bruno now. Nancy simply went and stood silently next to him but he started walking away. Bruno looked back towards Nancy, “Let’s walk and talk.”

“Nancy, this world in Everyshine City is different from the pound life you lived. Although it might give you all the pleasures and luxuries, a dog must never leave its best conduct towards humans and animals. Be helpful, guard your loved ones and be a good companion of your master. And most important is your loyalty. Never compromise on that. Our ancestors followed it and it’s every individual’s responsibility to keep up our reputation.” Bruno’s counsel was very important and Nancy simply nodded walking by his side.

“We play a vital role in this society and are not mere trophy dogs, especially the ones like you and Percy.” Bruno continued ahead asking rhetorical question, “Do you know we help run the economy of humans?” Nancy looked surprised and Bruno knew she was just like all other dogs that he had inducted in.

“Yes Nancy! Your soft blue bed, chewy toys you received, leash we wear, the rubber balls those others are playing with, our special food and vaccines and everything helps run the economy of humans.” Bruno turned his head towards all the young poor boys those were standing at one corner of the park, holding leashes, distinctively apart from the actual dog owners who were relaxing elsewhere. “The tall boy in Yellow shirt you see there is my walker. Since my masters are old, they have employed him to walk me thrice a day. He earns his livelihood this way.”

Nancy was amazed at all this and wondered why she had not thought of this before. “I did not know all this.” She thought for a moment, “maybe because I grew in a pound and all I could worry and think about was my own well-being.”

They continued their walk and Nancy added further, “Maybe you all are able to think in this manner due to the privileged lifestyle that you have received. You don’t have to worry about daily bread and in such environment, you were about to ponder over the world outside. It’s an extraordinary boon!”

Bruno disagreed and growled at her, “What rubbish! You need to be attentive and observing the surroundings and then you can develop a thought process that’s mature enough and out of the box and beyond your horizons. You need to pay attention to what humans around you are talking, what they are reading, what news and videos are seen on televisions and laptops. You see, the morning act of fetching newspaper should not be just a lame exercise of running. You should read it too.” His voice had become louder and he realized it. He calmed down, “Claiming that others are privileged is an injudicious excuse against your own failures.”

Bruno started sprinting and talking to himself, “how moronic these puppies are!”

Nancy followed him faster, “Did I say anything wrong? I may be wrong… I am still learning ways of life.” Nancy was fumbling again, “But how do I read a newspaper?”

Bruno frowned upon her and grunted, “You have to go through the photos. That’s what I meant.”

Her face turned sorry, “I will be careful henceforth.” She did not follow Bruno ahead. Outside the gates of the lush green park, she saw straw dogs, napping under the tree shades in their mundane lives. She knew what life that was.

Percy came sprinting towards her, “So how was the talk with Bruno?” She noticed Nancy’s sad face and encouraged her, “Its ok. I know he can be tough at times. But am sure he means well for all.”

She continued as they both sat down in the grass nearby the fragrant roses, “You see… Bruno has done a lot for us. He has helped us get this nice small park, all for ourselves. Earlier, pets were not allowed here as they would mess up. Dogs would bark and bite the joggers and people who came to exercise. But Bruno instilled discipline in us all. We started behaving and keeping the park very clean. We have that corner on the right to go and poop and pee. We don’t bark around or fight amongst ourselves.”

Percy got excited now, “You know, we have also featured in newspapers with a wide group photograph of all 20-25 friends for our best conduct. They got us all Christmas caps for the winter edition and called us Santa Paws as we behaved so well. We also have a small video on YouTube. Baxter, Hank, Rudy and yours truly have also done a small well-choreographed dance in it.” Percy seemed very pleased remembering the old days.

“We also got the fountain, as gift from Mayor, which starts in the evening” she grinned and looked at the center piece of the park where large blue pool lay with a tall fountain. Wind would blow water eastwards in the evening and all dogs would enjoy the tiny sprinkles. “They say, our mentions in the papers made the Mayor look good. But we all know that the one individual behind it all has been Bruno.”

Nancy stretched and kept her head on her front paws, listening to Percy who got close now and whispered. “But few dogs wouldn’t behave… he even got them banished. Don’t ask me how he does that. He has his own ways and we better not get into it.” She became loud and sprightful again, “At the end of the day, we get warm cozy bed with a loving and caring master. That’s what matters.”

One of the dog-walkers blew a whistle and all dogs started running towards their walkers and masters. Nancy slowly walked past the stray dogs outside the park where an old man and his grandson were feeding biscuits to these dogs. She could feel the joy that the stray dogs were experiencing now seeing the child and the old man feed them.

When she was returning home with Joyce, she was happy to see Bruno also on the same apartment floor. “Oh! Bruno, do you also live on my floor.”

Bruno went away answering, “Yes! Just in the apartment opposite of yours.”

Nancy pondered all day thinking over what Bruno had said. Joyce though that Nancy was missing her old home and would take some time adjusting here. She got a quadruple of shoes for Nancy, with Velcro straps and molded rubber bottoms that would give her good grip and keep her dry even in wet seasons. Nancy strolled happily whole day in new shoes, munching on various snacks kept in new bowls, until the evening time when she crossed the stray dogs again.

She saw Bruno making rounds across the park like a disciplined sprinter who would practice for upcoming sports events. When his pace slowed down, she approached him, “Good evening Bruno! I am sorry for what I said in morning and I realized my mistake after much brooding whole day long.”

Bruno stopped, “It’s okay Nancy!” he kept it very short.

Nancy hurriedly butted in, “Bruno, as good members of the society, do we have any responsibilities towards other members?”

Bruno was happy that the little puppy pug was now thinking and her curiosity was working up. He stretched and answered, “Of course we do. And our lot has always helped each other and our masters and our walkers. We are closely knit group and always ready to serve.”

He pointed to Jacky who was enjoying the fountain sprinkles, “Jacky has won medal for saving a poor cat from drowning in the brook behind our society.”

Nancy immediately asked, “And then what are we doing for the stray dogs on the road?”  

Bruno went mum and his eyebrows strained like he was thinking deeply. He walked away without answering Nancy.

****

Nancy could see the stray dogs all night from her window, but forgot about them once she received a new flowery bow. She wore that over her head and greeted everyone the next morning in the park. But Bruno seemed to be avoiding her and she decided to not pursue him.

At night, Bruno went for another stroll and approached the stray dogs where Rocky was sitting on the cold floor by the shop which was shut down now. He was shivering, but got up seeing his old pal from the pound after so many days.

“Look who is here, Mr. Richie Rich is here to meet the downtrodden filthy street dogs. What miracle has brought this honor to us?” The dissent in the barks of Rocky was very evident as he disliked Bruno. Once upon a time, they had shared bed and bread in same pound. But Bruno was adopted by a rich boy who took him to the apartment complex, whereas the old man who ran the pound died and all dogs were left on streets. Rocky loathed that Bruno had never before even bothered to meet his old pal, until today.

“I know you hate me and it’s just our fate that has brought this wide rift in us.” Bruno was very calm and he sat down on the icy floor while Rocky and others stood opposite of him.

He continued, “I would like to have a word with you Rocky, as only you can make a notable change in livelihood of all your street friends. And that has to do with a major leap you need to take.”

Nancy was sitting by her window and was surprised to see Bruno out amongst the stray dogs and it seemed like he was in an altercation with one strong dog, seeming to be their leader. She decided not to mention a thing to Percy the next day when they meet in the park.

****

Morning time when Nancy was being walked to the park, the street was very busy with crowd of men and dogs. They had all gathered and were gazing at something and muttering amongst themselves. When she reached the park, she heard an animal ambulance come by.

Percy was beaming with joy as always and Nancy question her, “What happened there?”

“Oh! Nothing much, some stray dog was hit by a truck last night,” she said without an ounce of sympathy on her face.

Nancy reached the hillock near the road and was shocked to see the familiar body being carried away in the ambulance. She immediately paced towards Bruno and enquired, “I saw you with him last night, what happened then?”

Bruno was surprised, “What are you talking about? I don’t know what you mean…” Bruno was a bit sad, but making good attempts at hiding it.

Nancy was a bit furious now, “Bruno, you very well know what I am talking about.” But Bruno left fast without answering her.

In the evening, Nancy overheard Joyce talking over her mobile, “Poor dog, I heard that he was rammed brutally by the truck…..” “Yeah, that’s a good idea. We should do something about it.” “Ok Joe! Let’s meet in an hour and work something out.”

Few friends of Joyce arrived in the evening, played with Nancy for a while and gathered in the living room. The guy Joe, who Joyce was talking over phone, brought a vanilla ice-cream for Nancy, which she enjoyed thoroughly.

Joe started the brain-storming, “Let’s arrange a candlelight vigil and make an awareness campaign for the street dogs.”

“Yes sure, I have a friend who can help us make videos which can be posted on YouTube, Insta, FB & Twitter,” another friend added.

“Can we start a small food service center for those poor dogs?”

“Yeah! Every day one grandpa feeds them biscuits. We can collect funds and give them warm milk daily.”

“Once a week we can arrange meat as well, my uncle runs a restaurant who can give us contacts of buying in bulk and maybe some discounts too from his friends.”

“This sounds like a good plan,” Joyce seemed very happy and so was Nancy.

When all her friends stepped out of the home, Joe headed towards Bruno’s home. Bruno was happy to greet his master Joe, who had returned from his college today to meet his parents. Bruno seemed joyous, wagging his tail and jumping all around Joe.

Joe’s mother asked him, “So did your friends finalize on what to do?”

He kissed and hugged her, “Yes! We have made a nice plan to help all the poor dogs around our locality. Wish us good luck.” She returned the kiss by a small peck on his cheek. Bruno was still jumping in joy around the home as what he dreamed of was coming true. Joe’s mother turned around, “See! How happy he is. I guess he knows about your plan. He was so sad, wailing all morning when he came to know about the poor dog’s accident. Good you stopped by today.” She added in a complaining voice, “Your college just a drive away, you can visit us like daily. Isn’t it?” They both laughed.

“Yeah I know. When I came this afternoon in my room, he was sitting in heaps of newspapers. On top of it was a picture of candlelight vigil which was arranged on deaths of all the passenger of the flight some three months back.” He sat down on the chair and continued, “That’s where I got the idea and then Joyce helped inviting all the friends.”

In next few days, the whole plan worked out just as they had hoped. The fundraiser had been splendid and many people donated generously. They even built a small shelter for dogs where they would serve them warm milk twice a day. Few days later, the floor had blankets on it which an industrialist donated. On Sunday, town’s Mayor arranged vaccinations for all the dogs and a doctor was seen tending to the wounded ones. Joe and Joyce, along with their friends seemed satisfied seeing all their efforts getting success.

In the evening, Nancy crossed Bruno and today he did not seem to be ignoring her. She barked with delight, “Look how the other members of the society are also getting benefits now. I feel so happy and thankful for how Joyce worked out the entire plan. We couldn’t do anything at all for the fellow dogs outside our society. But our masters did it.”

Bruno simply nodded and his eyes were moist, “Yes… and to the very root of this is the seed which the brave dog Rocky sowed by sacrificing his life.”

Percy sprinted towards Nancy while Bruno was just leaving. Nancy was confused about what Bruno said and expressed it to Percy. Percy was casual as usual, “Oh! Bruno is odd at times. In my weirdest dream, I won’t be surprised if someone told me that Bruno had something to do with all of this. You see, he has his own ways to get things done.”

January 16, 2021 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.