0 comments

Lesbian Speculative Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

Content Warning (CW): Nudity, Suggestive Themes


FADE IN


1 EXT. PADDY RICE FIELD - LOWER TERRACE - MORNING 1


There is seedling rice planted on steep hillsides. A working hand reaches for them, tying them up in bunches and then cropping them. We see SUNDAY (28), spiritual, who is harvesting. Her pants and sleeves are rolled up. We see her straightening her posture for a moment of rest.


DISSOLVE TO:


2 EXT. ROAD - MORNING 2


Just then, a girl riding her bike happens to be passing by. INDIE (23), eccentric, arrives wearing a tank top, shorts, and leather combat boots. Clouds are slowly passing by as the sky is clearing. She was looking yonder at the other rice farmers. There are oxen and water buffalo plowing.


INTERCUT BETWEEN SUNDAY AND INDIE


Sunday is on the lower terrace of the paddy rice field. We see INDIE catching sight of her.


INDIE (V. O.)

(Cupping hands around her mouth)

"Hey! What are you doing down there?"


Sunday looks over her shoulder to see Indie and turns to face her, smiling. We see them both elated as they greet each other.


SUNDAY

(Waving back to INDIE)

"I should be asking you that!"


Indie starts making her way down the terraces of paddy rice fields and approaches Sunday enthusiastically.


CUT TO:


3 EXT. PADDY RICE FIELD - LOWER TERRACE - MORNING 3


INDIE

"You're up early."


SUNDAY

"Just getting a head start on the day. So I decided to take a break from working in the cafe or the farmers' market."


INDIE

"Oh? How come?"


Sunday sheepishly looks away to the side, facing the bunches of rice she pulled out. Indie notices Sunday's reluctance to answer.


INDIE

"Hey, I can help you with some of the load if you want."


SUNDAY

"You don't have to do that. I would feel bad."


Indie thinks to herself, contemplating.


INDIE

"Hmm. How about this, then; I could use some help back at my cabin. Would you like to help me out with an art project?"


SUNDAY

"Oh! Really? You would trust me with that?"


INDIE

"Of course. Besides, it feels nice to be with you."


Sunday blushes, embarrassed after Indie's last remark.


SUNDAY

"Okay, then. It's a deal."


DISSOLVE TO:


4 EXT. ROAD (WEST) - AFTERNOON 4


Sunday and Indie are waving goodbye to the other rice farmers before making their way up the terrace. Their ankles are soaked.


INDIE

"Before we go, did you bring anything with you?


In the distance, a man is driving a horse-drawn carriage coming from the direction of town. The coachman, named Major (maybe 50), amusing, approaches.


MAJOR

"It's been a while since I last saw you."


SUNDAY

"Sorry. Life got a little busy and kept me away for some time."


INDIE

"Any chance you could give us a ride for old time's sake?"


MAJOR

"Of course! It's on the way anyhow."


5 INT. CARRIAGE - AFTERNOON 5


Indie and Sunday climb into the carriage, sitting across from each other. There's an empty wagon hooked at the back.


INDIE

"Did you complete a shipment?"


6 EXT. CARRIAGE - AFTERNOON 6


MAJOR

"That's right. I dropped off a delivery of some fur pelts. But enough about work. How are the two of you?"


INTERCUT BETWEEN SUNDAY, INDIE, AND MAJOR


Sunday looks out the window, quiet. Then, finally, major and Indie take notice, continuing the conversation.


MAJOR

"You ladies don't look the same you did ten years ago. But, my, you girls sure do grow up fast."


INDIE

"Is that so?"


MAJOR

(Jokingly)

"Yeah, but you still look like a tomboy."


INDIE

"Hey!"


Sunday fails to hold in her laughter.


DISSOLVE TO:


7 EXT. CROSSROAD - AFTERNOON 7


INDIE

"This is our stop. Thanks again, Major. It was nice seeing you."


MAJOR

"Take care, darlings. Safe trip."


Major leaves the scene as Indie and Sunday hike away from the pavement.


DISSOLVE TO:


8 EXT. FOREST - AFTERNOON 8


Sunday and Indie are moving towards the higher ground through white pine trees. Wings flapping and critters chittering are heard.


INDIE

"You seem quiet today."


SUNDAY

"There's some stuff on my mind."


Sunday follows Indie as they both reach and enter a cabin.


DISSOLVE TO:


9 INT. CABIN - LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON 9


Inside, sheets of paper and rolled tubes of jelly gouache paint are scattered on the living room floor next to a box of paintbrushes. A cut of bread and an opened jar of red bean spread sits on a desk beside the window.


SUNDAY

"You never did tell me how you ended up living out here."


INDIE

"Well, it's unlike I did it with a broom."


Indie walks to the middle of the room, removes a dirty mug from a stool, and places it on her desk before putting leftover food away. Sunday nonchalantly begins picking up the items on the floor.


SUNDAY

"I see you never change."


10 INT. CABIN - KITCHEN - AFTERNOON 10


INDIE

"It's an organized mess."


INTERCUT BETWEEN SUNDAY AND INDIE


SUNDAY

"Organized?"


INDIE

"A work in progress at most."


Sunday finishes tidying the clutter on the floorboards.


SUNDAY

"What do you need me to do?"


INDIE

"Well, I was hoping you could strip naked."


SUNDAY

(Flabbergasted)

"What?"


INDIE

"You would be doing me a huge favor. I promise your face won't be in it. But, of course, you don't have to do it if you don't want to."


DISSOLVE TO:


11 INT. CABIN - ATTIC - CONTINUOUS 11


Sunday is seen sitting in an alcove, holding one end of a white sheet draping over her with her hand close to her heart. Her eyes are glazed out the window. Finally, we see Indie seated on a stool beside her wooden easel, painting on a canvas.


INDIE

"You never answered my question earlier about work."


SUNDAY

"I told you I was taking some time off."


INDIE

"That bad, huh? You know you said the same thing to me ten years ago. So that sort of thing is happening again?"


SUNDAY

"Something like that. I was hoping to ask... What happens if things do not work out with you?"


INDIE

"Deja vu. I heard this before, too."


SUNDAY

"I was hoping maybe you had a different answer."


INDIE

"Let's see. Although I am usually alone, I like a change of pace and may want to attend outings with people. I could create more friendships but also expand my connections as well."


SUNDAY

"In this case, I came to you. Even though it was an accident."


INDIE

"Probably not. It could be fate. You never know."


INDIE

"Meeting you was not a mistake."


SUNDAY

"I am glad."


INDIE

"I have painted on many different things up until now. Wood, fabric, brick, concrete, paper, metal. Since you like my paintings, I thought maybe after this, I could also paint on you."


SUNDAY

"I don't know... I wish I could do it like you. I think you are more beautiful than me."


INDIE

"I wouldn't diminish your beauty in light of someone else's. You're beautiful, period."


SUNDAY

"Why do you think so?"


INDIE

"Because just like how you take pride in botany and holistic medicine, I take pride in art, writing, and photography. We are proud of who we are. But it's more dignified in itself to feel it than it is to have bragging rights. And what makes a person less likely to hear from me is if they are judgemental and misunderstand too much."


SUNDAY

"Maybe it's Karma. I got so carried away with how far I've come that now. Yet, I have been making so many small mistakes at work. It's like I had privileges taken away for being happy."


INDIE

"Hey! You just told me you were glad!"


SUNDAY

"Sorry!"


INDIE

"Well. Being with you is pretty magical for me."


SUNDAY

"How so?"


INDIE

"Hang on. Just putting the finishing touches. And done."

Indie gets off her stool and sits on the nook bench beside Sunday, bringing her paintbrush and wooden palette with her.


SUNDAY

"What are you doing?"


INDIE

"Stay still."


Indie then starts painting on Sunday's skin directly, gently around intimate areas, starting with her cheek, then down her neck.


SUNDAY

(Her face flushes red)

"It tickles. That spot is a little weird..."


INDIE

"See here? We're all the same in the sense of being just another pretty face in the crowd. And yet when I look into another person's eye..."


SUNDAY

"You're close!"


INDIE

"I used to think the iris was so weird looking, up close. Whenever I got so close to the mirror, I looked at all the textured details inside my iris. I never know how else to describe either, except "textured," even though there are different kinds of textures. But over time, something about it still seems strange. It grew on me to be mesmerizing, like an alien world or something, or intimidating for unknown reasons because it's so mysterious. I learned to appreciate it more in a way."


SUNDAY

"I never knew... I never thought about it before."


INDIE

"And this here."


SUNDAY

"Um!"


At this point, Indie is painting near Sunday's shoulders, collarbones, and breasts, lightly gliding her brush across.


INDIE

(Laughing)

"At least you haven't completely denied your beauty like the last time. My quirks must have rubbed onto you. We can stop if you want. I'm sorry for getting carried away."


SUNDAY

(Embarrassed)

"If it's with you, I'm okay with it."


INDIE

"More confident, too, I see.


SUNDAY

"I'm not too sure about that.


INDIE

"You know, I don't tell anyone, just anything about myself. But if someone wants to get to know me, then depending on the subject and my connection with that person, I would share it with them. What they do with that information is entirely up to them."


SUNDAY

"Well. I'm sorry for ignoring you. I didn't mean anything wrong by it. I doubted myself."


INDIE

"There's nothing wrong with being vulnerable. Just feeling the heartbeat itself is pretty magical too. It's still in there. It would help if you found it through other means."


SUNDAY

"It's warm here, but the cold paint helps a little."


INDIE

(Winking)

"That's what you say, but you're practically stiff as a board. And every time I stroke my brush, you shiver."


SUNDAY

"Tease!"


INDIE

(Laughing)

"Well, on a more serious note. I value my memories. Not being capable of remembering what made us the person we are, I understand that unforgiving feeling more than anything."


SUNDAY

"It's like being at the mercy of our mind, without actual awareness of what is truly real and what isn't; who is to decide for me my past? No one. And yet, even after overcoming that realization... I still can't help but see all of my past failures."


INDIE

"It is because the many things that made us happy may not happen again- another reason to appreciate those precious moments. These kinds of things are gifts that are meant to be savored. There's no need to go around and explain it to those you don't owe an answer to."


SUNDAY

"I see."


INDIE

"You've gotten sexy now that you're a lot older. I'm serious. Look! Your body has matured since then."


SUNDAY

(Yelling)

"What's it to you?"


INDIE

"Now your face is all pink. Well, I'm just about done now."


SUNDAY

"Um. I'm sorry for worrying you so much."


INDIE

"That's okay."


SUNDAY

"Is it all right if I stay over more like we used to?"


INDIE

"I would like that."


INT. CABIN - ATTIC - NIGHT


Crickets are chirping. The moonlight is shining through the same window Sunday was peering out of. Sunday and Indie are lying in various bedding and blankets on the floor, staring at the ceiling.


SUNDAY

(Turn's her head to face Indie)

"I think I understand myself a bit more now. I didn't realize it before. Being here has brought back a lot of old memories."


INDIE

"I had a feeling. No matter how old I get, I still learn new things every day."


SUNDAY

"I love you."


The room is quiet. There is a slight pause between Sunday and Indie. Then, finally, Indie turns over, crawling on all fours toward Sunday. Sunday's eyes follow Indie, who is now on top of her. She appreciates her features for a moment before leaning down--


INDIE

(Softly kisses Sunday)

"I'm glad."


Sunday has a surprised look on her face but then smiles mutually. Indie then lies down beside her, holding hands with Sunday.


FADE OUT.


13 THE END. 13

January 17, 2023 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.