0 comments

Funny Coming of Age

"Who did it?"

Mom crossed her arms, her foot tapping impatiently on the floor.

It's a terrifying sound my brother and I come to face once in a while. But it's never been this bad.

On the floor were shards of glass, above it was a gaping hole to the outside world. Gusts of wind blew in from it.

"Well? Who broke the window?"

I tried to make words but failed.

"Mom, I-I didn't do it!" My brother stuttered out, then pointed at me.

"She did!"

"What?! Don't go blaming me for your mess!"

"You mean your mess!"

The two of us squawked like crows for a couple of minutes before Mom shouted.

"ENOUGH! Lily, Lucas, you better tell me who did it by the end of the week before you're BOTH grounded."

"WHAT?!"


~~


"You did it."

"No, you did it."

"You did i-"

"Shut up."

The two of us sat outside on our front steps. We watched the football game from across the street, our faces resting on our palms. It was hot out, to a scorching extent. But we went out anyway.

"You have to tell her eventually."

"But I didn't do it!"

"Well, neither did I!"

"Whatever! I'm going inside."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

As my brother walked back into the house, I sigh and look up to the sky. The clouds form into baseballs, horses, and sometimes even George Washington. But, today, all I can see are windows.

"What the-"

It's weird but noticeable. Maybe this is a sign from God? Should I find evidence against my brother to bring him to justice?

"You know what? You're right, God."

I shoot up out of the sizzling stone, my legs red from the heat.

"Thank you, God! I won't let you down!"

Okay, so maybe that wasn't God. But still. I was going to be my brother's worst nightmare.



~~


"Okay...target acquired."

"How do you know this will work?"

"Trust me, Fanny."

"Okay."

We stood there, Fanny and I, in full camouflage gear we scored from the Target Halloween Clearance. Summer's the best time to get stuff like that. Fanny, my best friend, holds the binoculars to her face.

"He's moving slowly, holding up his hand to his ear."

"He must be on the phone. Move, move!"

We huddled and walked to the side of my house, staying out of Lucas' sight. Fanny and I exchanged glances before turning our heads to see him.

"He's gone."

"No, I'm not."

"Yeah, he's- what?"

A splash of cold water hits our necks, making us tense up. We turn around to see my brother, smirking.

"Don't spy on me, weirdos."

He walks off, leaving us angry and our necks icy.


~~


Day 2. Time is 15:00 hours. Location: Park.

I bribed his brother to make him get a new app on his phone that lets me see his text messages. It's disguised as a fantasy football game. Those $25 will not go to waste.

Slowly, I walk to the bathroom and lock the door. I text his friend, telling him to talk about the window situation. He does so. I go to the app and watch it unfold.

heyKarl: hey man, saw ur window, what happened

dangitlucas: idk, but mom's gonna ground us if we don't tell her who did it

heyKarl: that's insane, did u do it

dangitlucas: lily stop being creepy

Huh?

Dang it.



~~



Day after day, I create plans to bring him to justice. Today is Day 6. My last day before grounding. I'm not giving up.

For my last plan, I've decided to make a trap. I'm going to yell to him that I got a sticky drink on one of his most expensive basketball cards, and he'll come running so fast he won't even notice the tripwire he's going to get stuck on. Then, a net will scoop him up and I can freely go downstairs and search his phone. This will work. It has to.

I set it up when he's out at the grocery store with Mom. My brain is filled with evil laughter and hopes that they will not get those disgusting protein bars again. Yuck.

When they come home, I'm ready. I wait a couple of minutes for Mom to leave again, then I shout out the magic words.

"LUCAS, I JUST GOT SMOOTHIE ON YOUR 1948 ERNIE CALVERLEY CARD!"

"THAT'S WORTH 4,000 DOLLARS!"

I snicker quietly as I hear his nervous footsteps swiftly running up the stairs, and when I hear the trap work, it evolves into a cackle. I smile innocently in front of him as he tries to escape. Quickly, I run downstairs, unlock his phone, and go through his texts. Nothing. I go through his camera roll. Nothing. Then I go through his Snapchat stories and see a private one he sent to the friend I bribed. It was the broken window.

omg broke this, what should I do

I gasp. There it is. My evidence, my proof of innocence. That's when I realize what I was doing. My brother is trapped in a rope, upstairs, and I trapped him. What am I doing? Why am I going this far? It's just a broken window. Nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. Quickly, I run upstairs and free him.

"Listen, Lucas-"

"What the heck?"

"I'm sorry."

I held up the story, and deleted it from his phone.

"I'll take the blame."


~~


"So, I want the person who broke the window to tell me now."

Mom sat in front of us on the couch. I sighed and raised my hand.

"I did it, Mom. I'm sorry."

Lucas visibly tensed up, but then he spoke.

"No, I did it!"

"No, don't take the blame for me!"

"Don't take the blame for ME!"

"Hey-"

"YOU GUYS!"

Our heads turn to Mom.

"I already know Lucas did it."

Lucas sulked, and my eyes widened.

"How-"

"You guys don't think I see your Snapchats? Karl's mom told me."

"Oh."

Mom sighed.

"I'm not mad at you, Lucas. I know you did it accidentally."

"You're not?"

"No. But, next time, please tell me the truth."

Then, Mom smiled, and then pulled us into a hug.

"What Lucas did is bad, sure, but lying to cover it up is worse. However, Lily, you wanted to take the blame for him, which made Lucas himself confess."

I swallowed.

"Just, do the right thing, and tell me in the first place, okay?"

We both nod, and squeeze each other in a big hug.


~~


"Now, Lucas. Go clean up the glass."

"WHAT?!"



June 04, 2021 18:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.