0 comments

Mystery Crime Thriller

This story contains sensitive content

*murder warning and graphic descriptions*

#1


My phone rang in the middle of the night, and I awoke.


I blinked my eyes open and stretched my hands upwards, grappling around for my phone.


I finally found it and saw that Mother was calling me. My insides lurched; what happened?


I answered, ''Yes, Mother?'' She gulped on the other side of the line, ''Dad's gone.'' I felt my face go white with fear, and I grasped the phone tighter.


''What?'' I replied, my heart beating fast. Mother sniffed, ''Dad's gone,'' She repeated, ''He was murdered.'' And I broke into sobs.


I longed for more information, ''How was he killed, Mother? Tell me!!'' After a long pause, Mother finally spoke, ''I don't know who killed him, Beth, I was sleeping tight when suddenly I heard him gag,''


I swallowed, ''Then?'' My stomach churned, ''I awoke, just to find him sprawling beside me and with no heartbeat. I instantly called the police, gulping my tears.''


I gasped, ''Then..?'' Mother said, ''The emergency operator asked me what was the matter, and I reported a murder. I gave her the address and the operator told me she was sending an ambulance my way.''


I wondered, then asked, ''Where's Dad now?'' Mother replied, ''The medical helpers are trying their best to revive him..'' I hesitated, ''But you said he no longer has a pulse!'' Mother sighed, ''I know.''


Mother continued, ''The police detective sealed my room with police tape and she's still investigating the crime scene, though they informed me that they haven't got any leads yet.''


I replied, ''Mother, I know a detective.. He probably can solve the case better. Maybe I can phone him tonight, he usually stays up late, so I can call him.'' Mother hesitated, ''Um, is he working with the law?'' I thought hard, ''I don't know, maybe?''


Mother replied, ''Well, it's up to you, if you wanna do it, then go ahead.'' I said thanks and hung up, then I wiped a few tears that had flowed down unconsciously, then I scrolled down my contacts, searching for Robert.


I found him and called him and he answered immediately, ''Hi,'' I said, and he said, ''Hello back,'' I could almost hear his grin, ''I need your help. Now.'' His grin faded, ''What? A new case?'' I felt the grin came back.


I nodded, then realised he couldn't see me, ''Yeah, my Dad was killed.'' He gasped, ''What? How?'' I swallowed hard, ''He was sleeping and Mother was sleeping too, Mum told me she was woken up by the sound of Dad being gagged.''


I locked his attention, ''Can you help me? Please?'' I said with a pleading voice, I knew he couldn't resist the temptation. ''Wait right there, I'm coming.'' That was all he said, and he hung up.


I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom, then brushed my teeth and washed my face. Then I changed and waited in the living room, devouring crackers and last night's tea.


Fifteen minutes later, my doorbell rang loudly, and I jumped up, surprised. Then I realised it was only Robert, so I went to the door and unlocked it, and when I opened it, I found a beaming Robert, a plastic full of snacks in his hand.


I smiled weakly back and said, ''Hello, long time no see.'' And stuck my hand out for him to shake. He grasped my hand and shook it cordially and I nodded and pushed the door open wider. ''Please,'' I said, ''Come in and make yourself at home.''


He got in and I shut the door behind him. He looked around with his usual observing, shut-up-I'm-looking-around, look. Then he sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to him.


I sat down beside him and said, ''So, shall we get to business?'' He looked at me for a moment, ''Yes, we shall.'' And he straightened his back with a let's-get-serious air that was so comical I burst out loud laughing.


He looked at me with a serious look on his face, ''What are the facts, Beth?'' I sighed, ''Mother and Father were sleeping in their beds, when Mother was suddenly woken by a gagging sound. She turned around and saw Father sprawling on the bed, with mouth wide open and no heartbeat.


''Mother panicked and called 911, and she got an ambulance on the way in less than 2 minutes, which was quite unlike her. She usually likes to dwell on things and be over-dramatic. Anyways, the ambulance and police arrived and Father is now trying to be revived by the medical people, and Mother's room is sealed off with police tape and a woman detective is currently investigating the room but has so far found no leads on who killed Father.


''By the way, I think the doctors are wasting their time, I know for a fact that Father's dead. Those are all the facts and I was hoping to get a home-visit consent from college, but for that I need your help.''


By this time, Robert's eyebrows are knitted as he thought furiously, ''Okay, I think I have to go to your Mother's room to figure this all out, and I can get you your consent, so yeah, case accepted, Detective Robert expected.''


He patted me on my shoulder and started calling many people, as I quickly gobbled down the treats he had brought with him.


When he was finally done contacting all the ones he needed to contact, he said to me, ''I've booked a ticket to London, the plane takes off at 4. We have half an hour and a car is coming right about..''


He paused, ''Five... Four.. Three, two...'' He pointed at the door, ''One.'' A horn beeped loudly in front of us. He turned to me and smiled, ''Now, let's hurry.'' I told him to wait 10 seconds and ran upstairs to get my solving-case bag.


It was literally ten seconds.


One, I hopped off the couch and ran to the staircase.

Two, first set of stairs.

Three, seconds set ascended.

Four, ran to my bedroom.

Five, slammed the door open.

Six, snatched my bag from the hanger behind my door.

Seven, got out of my room and ran from the hallway to the staircase.

Eight, slid down the banisters

Nine, reached the end of the banisters.

Ten, tying my shoes on.


Robert observed me flying around with a face full of knowing certainty. He knew how fast I could move when asked to.


I finished tying up my shoelaces and went out the door with Robert on my side. Robert, like a gentleman, opened my door for me and I sat down, breathing hard.


Robert told the driver up front to drive to the airport. The driver nodded, ''Mr. Langdon, rate up or down?'' Robert pointed up.


The driver nodded once again and drove as fast as lightning to the airport. We arrived there in fifteen minutes and I felt sick at the end of the ride. Robert got out of the car first then he offered his hand to me, acting ''properly'', as I usually told him to do.


I took it, and he bowed to me. ''Stop it, Robert. Act seriously now, not 'proper','' He chuckled and let go of my hand. ''Alright then..'' He shot a smug glance at me and I turned my head away from him, trying to look offended but failing miserably.


We entered the airport and Robert had only to say his name and say that he was on a case, and the guards immediately bowed to us and waved their hands gracefully, in the direction of the airport waiting room.


We hurriedly went through the full-body scanner and even though it beeped and the lights turned red, the guards recognised Robert, and let us pass, to the absolute indignation of a man who was patted down by another guard.


We went through all the usual barriers in the same way and when we passed through the last one, we ran to our gate: Gate 5.


We boarded the plane and greeted warmly by the flight attendant, and as we sat down in the comfortable first-class seats, we were instantly served coffee and tea, chocolate from Turkey, a wide selection of champagne, and a variety of desserts.


I gladly accepted a hot cup of tea and a plate of vanilla cake with strawberry frosting and Robert got a cold coffee and some Turkish chocolate. We enjoyed the flight, chatting about work, school and in general, life.


Robert told me he was engaged to someone and I giggled teasingly and said I was happy for him. He invited me to the wedding on the spot. I agreed and assured him I would be present.


I told him how college was going and that I had good grades and things. It's funny how we get on so well, despite our age gap; He was 24 and I was nineteen.


Since we were so busily occupied in discussing a wide variation of topics, the flight went by quickly, and when we landed, we were quite surprised, because we felt like we had just boarded the plane 5 minutes ago, when, in reality, an hour and 15 minutes had passed.


We departed the aeroplane and ran straight through the airport and hailed a cabby. Robert asked me to tell the driver where my Mother's address was and I told him. The driver, once again, like the one back in Paris, flew to my Mother's house.


We arrived in five minutes, and Robert paid the cabby and it went away. We walked up the path to my house, but were blocked by the two policemen stationed at the front door.


Robert pleaded, ''I'm an official detective in Paris, please, I work with the law, and my friend here needs help.'' The policemen shook their heads firmly.


Robert showed them his ID and they read it, they immediately gave him leave to enter the house. As soon as we were inside, I steered Robert to my Mother's room and we finally met the woman detective working on the case.


''Hello, there,'' I said, ''My name's Elizabeth Watson and I'm Ms. Abigail's daughter, I came all the way from Paris.'' I stuck out my hand. The detective approached me and shook my hand. ''Hi Elizabeth, I'm Sophie, Sophie March,''


Detective Sophie was a tall woman and gave off a don't-touch-me air that felt very, uh, detective-y? Anyways, she had straight, black hair and wore a casual outfit of a crisp black shirt that read: ''Back off.'', a black cap, and ripped jeans, paired with some Converse shoes. She had a worn, brown canvas tote-bag slung over her shoulder and had a notebook in one hand.


''Hi Elizabeth, I'm Sophie, Sophie March,'' She peered curiously at Robert, ''May I know who is your friend right here?''

I replied, ''This is Robert Langdon, Senior in the Directorate-General for External Security, or DGSE, located in France. You probably know him right, Detective Sophie?'' Detective Sophie regarded Robert with a shrew glance, then after a long pause, shrugged, ''I know him, but we've never met.'' Then she shook hands with Robert.


She turned back to me and said, ''What are you doing here anyways?'' I replied, ''I've came here to help with the case, Mother told me you weren't getting any leads and since I have a trusted detective friend, Robert Langdon,'' Here I patted Robert's shoulder, ''I decided I would help solve the case and find out who's my Father's murderer.'' I flashed Detective Sophie a amicable smile.


She chuckled, ''Oh, alright then, but I have to check with my seniors in order to include you two as investigators in this case.'' I shot her a puzzled glance, ''Who are your seniors?'' She tossed her head back and laughed, '''Tis me, Mademoiselle Elizabeth,'' I looked at Robert and started to chuckle too.


When we finally sobered down, I assumed a serious face then said, ''So, Detective Sophie, may we hop on the case and help you figure out the killer?'' I put on my hard-to-say-no look and she looked at me with a comical face. She hesitated for a long, half-minute, ''Hmm... I guess.. N-'' I cut her off, ''Please do say yes! Please do say yes!'' I felt like a child begging for candy. Detective Sophie smiled, ''Haha, sure, you may get on the case, but please don't try to interfere with my work.''


We promised her that we won't interfere.


Robert, upon entering the room, turned to Detective Sophie then said, ''With your leave, Detective Sophie, can I examine the room?'' Detective Sophie nodded. SO he started his work


He mutely examined the walls, floor, bed, closet, vanity table, and everything else in the room. He laid down on his stomach and stuck his ear to the floor, as if trying to hear something. Then he stood up again, then traced a line on the wall, seemingly seeing something invisible to me and Detective Sophie's eyes.


He checked under the pillows and switched the table-lamp on and off a few times. He opened all the drawers and apparently, finding nothing of interest, examined the vanity table's mirror minutely.


He knocked on the closet's door before opening the doors and peering into it. He inspected each and every cloth that hung on the hangers.


He knocked on the back of the closet and checked the bottom drawers. He then set everything back to its place and then walked over to the bed. He got on his knees then to his stomach. Then he started to slither under the bed like a snake.


He stayed under the bed for a minute, and we heard him knocking, tapping, touching, turning, and doing everything in his power to make sure he had searched everything.


When he was finally done investigating, studying, observing, and deducting everything in sight he faced the wall beside the windows.


He stood there for some time, his head propped on his fist and his eyebrows knitted tightly. We waited patiently, not daring to make a sound lest we should disturb his long train of thoughts.


At long last, he turned to us then gave us a fully detailed description of the killer.


''He was about 143 centimeters in height, had brownish blonde hair, and smokes a pipe with Blueberry-flavoured tobacco. He owns a British Shorthair and he always feeds her, yes, the cat's female, salmon meat and gets a usual snack of honey drops, or in other words honey that has been frozen into the shape of raindrops and sold as candy for cats. And, for a fact, cats love them so much.


''He has a beard and is an old bachelor, I estimate his age is about two and forty. He used to be a professor, for he brings a pen everywhere. He has an addiction to lavender-scented ginger candies.


''These marks on the wall,'' Here, he waved his hand to the wall beside the window, ''Indicate that he has entered and departed from the window. I need someone to check on the outside, for footprints. He writes a note on the wall right there,'' He waved his hand to another part of wall, right beside the closet, ''And he says, ''Goodbye, John.'' I believe John is Beth's Father's name, right?'' He asked me, and I nodded.


''He gagged Beth's father with a rather intoxicating poison named cyanide. He first disarmed Beth's father by pressing a white cloth, possibly a handkerchief of some kind, wet, even dripping, I daresay, with alcohol.


''With Beth's father silenced and disarmed, he poured a small tube of liquid cyanide into Beth's father's gaping mouth and that produced the gag, even though Beth's father was already unconscious at that time.


''He left the room in less than five seconds, right before Beth's mother woke up and found her husband dead, with his mouth agape. Those are the plain facts but to be sure of them, I would need to do an autopsy on Beth's father's body.''


Me and Detective Sophie's mouths were ajar as we listened to Robert's detailed account of the murderer and the events that happened last night. It was nearing dawn now, and the horizon was getting light.


I turned to Detective Sophie, ''Wow, Detective...'' She shook her head, ''Please, just call me Sophie.'' I nodded, ''Look, Sophie, we've got to go to the hospital now and go to the corpse room. We've got to give Robert a chance at giving Father an autopsy before he is buried.''


Sophie nodded her agreement and we exited the house and she drove a police car, with Robert in the front passenger seat and me alone in the rear passenger seat.






































































































November 27, 2023 13:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.