12 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Gunmar Lextonic looks up at the blue sky, puffy clouds here and there where one can imagine shapes of wonder. A current view which took him back moons ago as an innocent child lying on the grassy field, looking up at the sky.

   “So much has changed,” he mutters as he looks back down at the dirt path, quickly becoming overgrown with grass and weeds.

   By this point on the path most races will start feeling the fear coming forth from the lair. Each step becomes more difficult until most cry out in fear and run far to escape the terror. Ones with low constitution might never recover their sanity, wander the lands until they become food for the monsters. Gunmar is here to stop the one who creates such fear. He is here to stop the red dragon.

It was years ago that Gunmar took the oath to become a paladin. Now he was set to go out and destroy dragons for they had destroyed his life. They had taken away a loving family that brought happiness to his life. One that made him content to be a farmer until his dying day. How quickly the dreams extinguished as he travelled to the local village for supplies to return home to piles of ashes. The carcasses of his animals told him a dragon had paid his home a visit and took his loved ones away.

   At first, Gunmar roamed the lands in misery. People were surprised when he finally entered the city and told the people who would listen to him of the time, he spent roaming the lands. Once his emotions ebbed, he was on a mission, quickly learning the skills, jumping in rank quicker than most. He gladly participated in battles against orcs, goblins, ogres, and giants having little care for his life. He just wanted to bring an end to ones he thought were evil and bring him to the point where he could become a paladin.

   “God has shined on you,” the city folk said in awe due to his dedication.

   The day he became a paladin, taking the oath meant it was time to seek out dragons.

   “What is your mission in life?” his teacher asked.

   “To destroy all dragons,” was his response.

   “Will, will. That is a tall order to take on one of the most powerful races in this land. Only thing tougher is to travel to Hades to seek demons.”

   “I plan on preparing myself before such a quest.”

   “Travel to the races who have been around long before humans so will have what you need. They will have the tools to defeat dragons. But I have one gift to pass on to you. A javelin of piercing that will pierce the hide of any creature. But to get close to your enemy you will need the proper protection to use the weapon. I will say the elves will be an excellent source to go to at first. The dwarven race is another reliable source, but they are not keen on giving any of their creations to another race. They might think differently, knowing you are seeking dragons.”

   Gunmar did just that by going to the wood elves. It was there they gave him feather boots, a cloak of protection, and armor resistant to dragon attack. He left their realm with the last gift, a ring of strength. Not only does it enhance physical strength but also the ability to withstand the fear of dragons. He figured he had all so no need to go to any other race. But, not long into his mission he realized he needed a bag of holding for his supplies. He eventually found one owned by the mayor of a town. The mayor had one stipulation. Instead of paying coins or gems for such a precious item he requested Gunmar to rid them of the blue dragon nearby, causing havoc to the town. Gunmar’s smiled, knowing this will be his first test.

   He put on the armor for the first time realizing like the elves spoken, it felt like a second skin. Not cumbersome and hard to move about. This armor also did not have any openings to see or breathe, but Gunmar could do both.

   He set out and into the lair where the battle took place. It was long and close calls to meeting death, but finally a throw of the javelin pierced the dragon’s heart, and it was over. He had vanquished his first dragon.

   Was his revenge satisfied? He thought not. He wanted to seek every dragon to end the heartache he had experienced.

   “I will destroy your creation, great deceiver,” he said.

   Gunmar’s belief was that there was no way that God created such an evil atrocity.

Now, he walks down the path as he nears the lair. Slight tremors confirm he is soon to confront an ancient dragon. This battle could be one of the most difficult to triumph.

Gunmar came to a stop as he hears and feels the pull of his horse, who is succumbing to its fear. Even though the blanket of peace covers a portion of the horse, it is not enough against the terror of the dragon.

He takes out what he needs from the bag and puts on the armor. The last item in hand is the javelin.

Then he sends his trusted horse away, who will wait for his return. He prays he will return.

Gunmar eventually moves on coming to the opening to the lair. He enters the lair when a voice speaks.

“You will not hurt this one.”

The voice came from inside his head. He came to a stop, not sure what had just happened. Is it a trick by the dragon? Can it be the voice of God? Gunmar stays in place for a time, not sure what to do. He never experienced a dragon having the capability of speaking to his mind. But this dragon is of the ancients, so is he experiencing a new power the creatures inherited?

“Enter!” a deep voice booms out from further in the lair. “Paladin!”

Gunmar takes a couple of steps back, in awe of such a voice. His past encounters with dragons there have been little speech, but roars, yells, grunts, and pains.

Suddenly, torches lit up on both sides of the lair, starting from where he stood to the gigantic figure of a red dragon. The fiercest of the dragon races. The evilest of the race. Gunmar points the javelin at the dragon, who lays on its back, exposing its belly.

“Strange,” he thinks. “Does the dragon want to be killed?”

“So…you are the mighty dragon killer?” the dragon asks as it stretches its massive wings.

“I have killed many,” he says, taking steps forward with confidence.

“Yes indeed,” the dragon says, as a rumble emits from the dragon’s snout. “You have taken many.”

“Back to your maker.”

“And who do you think is our maker?”

“The great deceiver! The one who creates all the evil in this world!”

There is more rumbling from the dragon.

“You are quite wrong in your discernment. Every living thing created in this world is by God.”

“Impossible!” cries out Gunmar in disbelief. “God would not create such evil!”

“You are right, paladin. God does not create evil but gives us all the choice to be good or evil.”

“The great deceiver is the shape of a dragon, as dark as a starless night.”

“One shape it takes for dragons is the first to be deceived. The guardians of the lands turned into the greatest threat.”

“Hard to believe from a race with a brilliant intellect,” says Gunmar. “Deceived!”

“Easy to be deceived when one’s thoughts turn to corruption. Greed. Power. Control. So many in this land believing they are experts, but they are controlled.”

“And I suppose you are one that is not corrupt?”

The rumble starts, then ends.

“I once lived a corrupted life,” the red dragon speaks. “But the day comes when you recount your life. I have lived for generations. One of the first guardians. I was deceived. I led armies to destroy what is good or neutral. So many years to finally see the full picture. Or I should say a good part of the picture. Do you think you are doing good?”

“I’m killing the evil dragons.”

“That is what you think. You have killed evil. But you have also killed neutral and even good.”

“There are no good dragons,” says Gunmar with disbelief.

He does not want to believe he has taken out anything considered good. It is against his oath.

“You have been deceived. Blinded by your emotions.”

“That is not true!” Gunmar cries out, raising his javelin.

“Strike!” the dragon says. “Take a soul that has been deceived, too. For so long. I am ready to depart this realm.”

Gunmar tempted to throw, but he lowers the javelin as his soul comes clean.

“I have an idea,” he says. “Let us team up. Join to fight and even teach against the deceiver.”

The dragon stares at him.

“You have done much wrong,” Gunmar says. “Time to fix and do right.”

“I was never one to listen to any living creature,” the dragon speaks. “Only the deceivers lie. What you say sounds logical.”

“Do what God created us to do.”

“Yes. You are right. Then one day we can soar in the heavens.”

The two joined that day, and Gunmar became a dragon rider. They set forth to stop the deceiver. They both knew one day the deceiver would be vanquished for good.       

September 29, 2023 02:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Suzanne Marsh
19:15 Oct 26, 2023

I really enjoyed this story, dragons are not normally something that would get my attention but this story did, I really enjoyed it. Sue

Reply

Corey Melin
16:26 Oct 27, 2023

Thank you for the comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
01:02 Oct 13, 2023

Good dragoneering. (I just made that word up for this story.) The noises, the sounds, the voice in his head, the cavalier dragon that's ready to die. Very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suzanne Marsh
19:52 Oct 10, 2023

very well done and a great read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen Spencer
02:09 Oct 05, 2023

Interesting twist of fate in the story. Good ending... or is it a beginning? :)

Reply

Corey Melin
18:10 Oct 05, 2023

Thank you for the comments! I think practically every story could carry on. The question is to let the reader’s imagination carry it on or write a sequel and possibly ruin it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gareth Walcroft
21:22 Oct 04, 2023

I enjoyed this, particularly the oath part. It reminded me of that epic scene from Conan - What is best in life (Arnie is my all time favourite actor). Loved the moral of the story.

Reply

Corey Melin
21:27 Oct 04, 2023

Thank you for the comments! I just finished watching “Arnold” on Netflix. He never stops to strive on

Reply

Gareth Walcroft
21:31 Oct 04, 2023

Such a great person, all the charity work he does and still has time to do personal projects.. need more people like him

Reply

Corey Melin
22:28 Oct 04, 2023

Yes indeed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
09:57 Oct 02, 2023

I appreciated the way the dragon turned Gunmar around on his head. How often we are hurt by something and set out to do good because of it, only to discover we are only deceiving ourselves. “You are right, paladin. God does not create evil but gives us all the choice to be good or evil.” - I liked this, without evil good does not exist. Both are a choice. That's free will. And who can say what is good or evil? Thanks for the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
23:04 Sep 30, 2023

May he ride on for good.🐉

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.