The Mutant Child

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story told entirely through one chase scene.... view prompt

6 comments

General

I hear evil laughter from right behind me. I need to ditch them fast. I fake a left and then turn right down a long road. I guess my training wasn't a waste after all, I think to myself. I chuckle loud enough for them to hear and keep running. 

So what, I’m a stupid, mutant mistake. Is that a reason to chase me so I can be dissected piece by piece in a smelly old lab? I was born in a lab. I’m just a science experiment. They messed up my DNA, that's not my fault. It’s not like I volunteered to be a weirdo who will never know the feeling of joy or of love. I just want to live a normal life like a normal kid but no, they messed me up. They supposably used human genes and something else that they haven't told me but I plan to figure it out sooner or later. That doesn't matter at this present time though. I need to find an escape. 

From all of the training that they forced me to do back at the lab I got great endurance which comes in handy when escaping from mammons. Most of you are probably like what’s a mammon. Those of you thinking that, I got you covered. A mammon is what the guards of the evil lab that we were held at are called.

 Yes, I said we. There are more like me. More innocent kids whose DNA have been tampered with by people who had no business doing so. The Mutants are what we call ourselves. Weekly, we meet in a secret location that I will never tell anyone. If we all got caught again it would be the end. 

No, I’m not worried that these mammons are going to catch me, thank you for asking. There's not that many of them and these ones are slow. I am ninety two percent human and the rest something way different that I haven't figured out yet. That way different part has weird effects but I can run really fast so those painfully slow humans will never catch up to me. HA!

“Great!” I yell as I stop in my tracks. There were more mammons in front of me and that on top of the ones chasing me added up to about... a lot. This means that I need to stay and fight instead of running. I am completely fine with that though, this will be fun!

Six of them march up to me. Three of them grab me by the shoulders and the rest take my hands and put them behind my back. “Oh no!” I yell in a high pitched, girly voice, “You caught me!” They all look so proud. I break out laughing hysterically and then they look confused. 

Slowly I breath in through my nose and they quickly exhale through my mouth. I suddenly slip through all of there hands and they are so dumb founded that I get a major head start on our little chaseing game. If I am being completely honest, I haven't had this much fun in years. 

I zigzag through buildings and climb over walls. Slowly but surely they follow me. I can tell that they are exhausted even though they are yards behind me. After a few more minutes of this horrible fun some of them call it quits but there are still a few who are sticking to it. 

I lead the few that are left down an alleyway that I know is a dead end. Once I reach the wall at the end of it. I sit down and pretend to cry. I can count on one hand the number of times I have cried in my life and this is definitely not a crying moment but I totally have all of the mammons fooled. 

There are only three remaining but they all walk up to me and pull me off the ground while I am still pretending to sulk. There is one with a gun and the other two have me by each of my shoulders. I am in a perfect position. Little do they know that they have me in a place where I could beat them all so well but I have to wait until the right time. I have to wait until I know that no more mammons are coming then I can make my move. 

After what seems forever the human with the gun takes out a walkie talkie and says into it, “We got it. We are almost to the trucks then we will drive it to the lab.” At this point I’m not even offended that they called me an it. That's all they ever refer to me as.

Just then the walkie talkie says something back, “Good job soldier! How did you do it? Did it struggle? Should I send more men to help?”

“We got it sir but thank you. It was crying up against a wall and didn't struggle at all,” he chuckled as he said this into the walkie talkie. I wanted to laugh so hard because he thought that I was really crying. I am either super good at acting or he is the biggest lunatic of them all. 

“Wow!” the walkie talkie said in response, “who knew it had feelings!” The man with the gun laughed and put his walkie talkie back into its little pouch. Those words set me off. 

It was time to make my move. Just when the mammon with the gun got close enough I kicked him backwards and he stumbled onto the ground gasping for air. I bit both of the men holding my arms and immediately the venom from my bite kicked in. They fell to the ground. I knew that they would be dead in a minute. 

Unexpectedly the man with the gun stood up and tried to shoot me. I dodged it and bit him too. He fell to the dirt with the rest of them. Before he died I said, “Wow, who knew that a dirty old human could have feelings.” He looked shocked. I smiled and stood above them proud that a fourteen year old girl could beat up three grown men so easily. 

Happily, I ran to our secret meeting spot. I had to tell the other mutants about this.

July 14, 2020 02:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Naomi Kinnett
02:55 Sep 26, 2021

Amazing job! Beautiful writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ella Kinnett
01:31 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
22:54 Aug 26, 2020

Wow! I enjoyed this story! It was really good! Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
11:55 Jul 31, 2020

I enjoyed this, Ella. You portrayed the chase really well! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "A Very, Very Dark Green"? Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Shen
02:25 Jul 23, 2020

I really enjoyed reading this fun, suspenseful story. I liked how the main character liked to trick her pursuers. Throughout the story, I was curious about what was "mutant" about the main character. Thanks for submitting this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ella Kinnett
13:01 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you both! I would love to check out your story Deborah Angevin!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.