The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship.

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write a story about strangers becoming friends, or friends becoming strangers.... view prompt

2 comments

Friendship Thriller Sad

To all my friends, I remember you. I need you to know that I have not forgotten you. I remember all of you, how we met, how we became friends, and even how we became strangers. But, you are forever in my heart. I might have forgotten your name, I might have forgotten how you look maybe, but I remember the time we spent together. The time that made us become friends. I remember M, I hear that she was my best friend when I was young. We were always together. Everybody tells me that. But the other day I came back home, I met you, I didn't even say hi. You never said hello either, but maybe you did not because you thought I might have forgotten you, and I did. How did you, when did you become a stranger in my life? I remember J, oh I remember J, I remember how I once fought him, I remember how scared he was running away to his home. I remember the thrill I felt. I remember how good it felt. I remember you, but I don't remember your face. I remember your name, I remember how we became friends after that fight. I remember how we became strangers. I remember L and A, I remember how they were my best friends. I remember all the moments we spent together, I remember the games we played together, I remember the fun we had, I remember. I also remember how we became strangers. Then I wonder, why, why why, why would God bring you into my life? I remember P,  how cute she always was when she smiled. How beautiful she was. How she was so full of life. I saw her the other day, she still smiles, still beautiful as ever, it’s like life had somehow maintained her innocence, maintained her sunshine. But somehow, even though same, we had become strangers. We couldn't talk. Barely had anything to say to each other. Just two people who once knew each other. I remember K, how he used to make me feel scared. How he terrorized me, but yet we became friends. Somehow we became friends. The only thing I remember about him was how short he was. Funny how such a short person had so much courage and confidence. I remember A, and B. I remember how beautiful they were. A for her brains and class in society and B for her beauty. I remember how they both became my friends, and I remember the exact day they became just somebody I used to know. I remember V, for her passion, confidence, and courage in life. I remember how she lived fully with no regrets, I remember her beauty, I remember. I saw her the other day and she was no longer the same person I used to know. What happened?  What changed? I remember A and J, the two most interesting people that I had the honor of meeting. I remember how they once fed me when I was hungry. When all my friends had abandoned me. When I was just a stranger. They welcomed me and they fed me. I remember M, L, C, and K. I remember how they changed my life. I remember that day. We were just strangers, forced to be together. I remember how we decided to know each other that day. I remember how charmed I was knowing all of you. I remember your beauty, intelligence, laughter, and skills. I remember your beautiful souls. I remember the joy you brought to my life. I remember how we shared life. I also remember how we became strangers. Funny, how love can be a curse and a blessing. I remember M, I don't exactly remember how we became friends, but I remember how, when he saw me, he would always say hi and smile. I remember him and his girlfriend. I remember their love. Their friendship. I remember M, oh M. I remember how I hated him from first sight. I remember how disgusted I was by his manners. I remember how I wished him dead once in front of everyone. I remember it well. I also remember how we became friends. I remember how he totally changed my perspective by just talking. I remember how we laughed together that night. I remember how I kept thinking to myself, I can't believe this is the same person I knew. He completely changed my perspective of him. I remember him well. I remember the B’s. I remember how excited I was when I got to know them. I remember how I listened to them talk. I remember how I just understood their world. I remember how we became friends. I also remember my family. I remember our neighbors, I remember all of you. I might not mention all of you. I might not be here today to tell you this, but I want you to know, my words and a pen are all I have to let you know, how much it meant for me to have all of you in my life. My life was my life because of all of you. I got the chance to write about my life, with incredible people like you. I don’t know what awaits me in the next life, but in this life, I had friends, I had you. 

By the time Jared finished reading the letter, everyone was in tears. His grandmother had died. She had lived a full life. Jared couldn't believe it either. He was also crying. Who knew grandma could write so well. She had requested that that be read at her funeral. To add to it all, she had requested that her body be cremated and the ashes are spread over the hills where she met her husband. Everyone had been surprised at that request. No one in the tribe ever cremated bodies, they all buried them. The tribe believed in giving back to the land. But grandma had refused. To make matters worse, she had requested for her body to be cremated within 24 hrs after her death. So many family members had disagreed and argued over that request. And then Jared remembered the letter. He had remembered the letter grandma had given him. He had remembered the life in her eyes. The way she smiled, her humor. Jared looked around the land. The gathering was not too big, but yet based on the short notice, the turnout was quite big. Grandma and grandpa had done well for themselves. They had lived a full life. They had done well for themselves. Although grandpa had died two years earlier, grandma had still managed to smile. She had always joked about how annoying he was and that she could finally live in peace. But everyone knew that was her way of saying she missed him. They had been married for eighty years. I mean common? They gathered around in a semicircle and the fire was lit. they all watched as her body turned into ashes. Some cried, some, especially the old, just watched, they knew their time was coming. It was just a matter of when. A generation had ended. But as grandma liked to put it, it was just the beginning, the beginning of a beautiful friendship. The beginning of a beautiful life. 

June 01, 2021 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
15:30 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you for this.

Reply

Catherine Githui
16:10 Jun 05, 2021

Thank you too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.