'Pastor Edward'

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

PASTOR EDWARD”

He was born a Roman Catholic in early sixties in Enugu State. His parents were well known Catholics in his home town. When he was in primary school, he was very intelligent both in academics and sports, especially in the game of football. He was a member of mass servants in his village church during his primary and secondary days and represented his church in sport competitions that churches organized for their youths annually.

Edward was known figure in his town from his primary school days. When he finished his secondary education, he won a scholarship to study medicine in India. His joy knew no bound. The state government usually selects twelve students to send abroad for tertiary education every two years and Edward was among the lucky twelve in late seventies. When the departure day arrived, both the parents and state governors were raffling out all manners of advise to the twelve on how they were the future of the state, that they must not forget that it was on tax payers money that they were being sent abroad, so the onus is on them to justify the faith the people of the state have on them. After the formal advice, the parents came with their own informal advice and boarding of the plane followed.

INDIA

When they arrived in India, they were welcomed by Embassy Official, after rounds of advice of their own, they were sent to their various boarding houses. Edward came with a zeal burning inside him and started very well academically for after a year there, his first year results attested to that. He performed well. Edward began to show signs of discontent in his studies in his second year in medical school in india. He will fail to report to his coordinating official in embassy and his communication with his parents via letter became a burden. He failed a course in year two second semester and refused to carry it over and eventually dropped out of the medical school, joined Indian Herbalist group and started learning traditional medicine, telling anyone that cares to ask him that he is still in the business of curing diseases. Whether with chemicals or roots, the end product is still the same. From studying leaves and roots, he crossed over to the witch doctors group and started acquiring magic powers. He refused to associate his actions and himself with the phrase “demonic powers” instead, he will encounter the argument with scripture verses telling all who cares to hear that it is boldly written in all bible that “all that God created is good, that nothing exist without his knowledge” claiming that he will apply all his learning in a positive way for the good of all human race. Since India is not a Christian country, there was no pastoral school to attend so he started corresponding via letter to the western world pastoral schools and was acquiring their ways too. After five years of his sojourn in India land, Edward returned to Nigeria a self ordained pastor.

EASTERN CHURCH OF NIGERIA

Before the eleven of the twelve government sent aboard to study came back, pastor eddy as Edward is fondly called by his church members has been in the business of preaching and healing for two years. Pastor eddy is not only a rich man then, he was very famous too. He claim to be non-denominational. His members cut across all denominations even across all religion judging from people that visit his church for one thing or another. The exploits of pastor eddy was being heralded even by the press. He was said to be the final bus stop of any problem. Any problem whether physical or spiritual that defy cure, pastor eddy was the solution to that problem. He was nick-named half human, half spirit by his followers.

He has prayer session for all manner of problems. Those that were looking for wives or those looking for husbands. No matter your age or conditions. once you visit his church and attend the sessions, you will become married after just fourteen days. God is wonderful!. Those that were looking for visa has their own prayer sessions attend it well before applying for visa to any country in this world, your request will be accepted without any delay. If you have a case of any missing money or property, attend the session for missing items and within fourteen days

You will recover that missing item. If you are afraid of criminals or kidnappers, attend the sessions for that, pastor eddy will sell special brooms to you and if the kidnappers or robbers were stupid enough to visit your house, they will use those brooms to be sweeping your house till they collapse on the ground. If you have court case with anyone, visit the prayer sessions for that. whether you are at right or not, you are a winner already even before the court will pronounce judgment. Even the students preparing for exams, once you buy the special pen from the pastor and attend the sessions well, write any nonsense in that exam with the pen, your result will come out with Alphas.

POLITICIANS

During election year, all levels of politicians troops into the church for prayer sessions. Attend the sessions well and donate generously for the work of God, you are the winner already even before the election took place. And if you happen to fail, there is something you have not done well. No one has ever heard any politician complaining.

MAD WOMEN

Pastor eddy was said to be marrying three wives. all these three wives were cured of madness by him before marrying them. they started suffering that after visiting Eastern Church of Nigeria. Their husbands will abandon

Them, whether intentionally or under the influence of unseen forces, no one knows. Pastor eddy will pray for them and they will become suddenly normal and he will marry them. Only beautiful ones will come in healthy and go out crazy. Then will return to the pastor and will suddenly recover their senses. o! God is great.

SACRIFICE

When increase in drowning incident became rampant, it began to spread that it was pastor eddy coming in middle of the night to sacrifice in the towns that has lakes, river, T-junctions, triangular roads and creeks. Too many accidents, cars, drowning, unnecessary quarrels every town began to form Vigilante groups to protect and monitor the activities in their town every night. It was rumored that pastor eddy and his entourage has been turned back in many towns in the night.

BAKASSI BOYS

From towns forming vigilante groups to states forming theirs, and that was how state sponsored vigilante group known as bakassi boys came to be. Police was not doing their work well and being federal control, states came out with vigilante groups. As rumor of sacrifices of Pastor eddy continued to spread, the bakassi boys was sent to go and capture the man. It was said that it took bakassi boys five good days to be able to capture Pastor Eddy for it was said that he will be before them and they will be seeing another person. After reinforcing themselves spiritually, they return for the pastor, which they captured after days of fighting spiritually with both sides loosing men. He was given jungle justice and was killed in popular market square in his state. It was said that he begged the Bakassi boys to throw his dead body into any sea but they burned him fearing that he will come back to life if thrown into the sea.

July 21, 2020 11:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.