26 comments

LGBTQ+ Sad Contemporary

Screams. The screams of the newly-cut grass woke me in the morning, as they did everyday. I don’t understand humans, they work and care for the grass, loving it and keeping it green, only to turn around and chop it down. They seem to enjoy the the screams of grass, cutting them day after day.

I look at Zinnia. Her beautiful pink color means she won’t be subject to the fate of the grass. I am safe as well, for Zinnia and I are flowers, and flowers are never cut down.

I’ve known Zinnia since we were sprouts. We were raised in the same greenhouse. I saw her for the first time in a box with her species. I was in a box with my fellow daisies. Sprouts are usually very quiet and shy, but Zinnia has always been chatty. Her talkative nature annoys Peony, but it’s still my favorite part about her.

“Hello!” Zinnia said to me. “You are a daisy!”

“Yes.” I responded.

“I am a zinnia.”

“Yes.”

Normal flowers would have stopped the conversation there, but Zinnia has never been a normal flower.

“What color do you suppose you’ll be, Daisy?” She asked.

My breed is rarely anything other than white with a yellow center, and this is what I told her.

She waited a moment before she spoke again. “Oh. I could be all sorts of colors! Perhaps red or yellow. Maybe even purple or blue…”

Zinnia is pink. It’s her gorgeous color that the humans loved when they picked her. That, and her soft petals and strong stem. It was a miracle they had picked me too; I looked like every other daisy. Zinnia looked happy when I was planted next to her.

“Good morning, Zinnia.” I said, as I do every morning. She didn’t respond. Zinnia wasn’t usually a late sleeper, but I suppose everyone has those kinds of days. 

“Good morning, Zinnia.” I said again, louder this time. Perking up, Zinnia looked to where the sound that woke her had come from.

“Hello, Daisy.” Zinnia said sleepily. Tired looking, but still beautiful as ever.

“Are you alright?” I asked. “You’re usually the first awake.”

“I will be. I’m just feeling a bit dehydrated, the sprinklers must’ve missed me yesterday. Good thing they come everyday, right?” Classic Zinnia. Always the optimist.

“Oh.” I said. “That’s good. Please, do tell me if the problem continues. We could make the humans notice if it gets too bad!”

“You have far too much worry.” Zinnia giggled. “Please don’t use up anymore on me! I really am fine.”

“Shut up!” Came an irritated voice from behind me. “It is far too early for your yammering.”

Peony is always annoyed. They are the oldest flower in the garden, as they continue to bloom year after year. Peony gets especially annoyed with the new plants. The first few weeks in the garden, they tried to scare us by saying that talkative flowers get cut. We now know that Peony is ridiculous; flowers don’t get cut.

“Sorry, Peony!” We said in unison. They gave us a grunt in response.

Zinnia looked up at the sky.

“Isn’t it beautiful, Daisy?” She asked.

“What?” I replied.

“The world.” Zinnia said. Yes. Yes it was.

Zinnia’s view was interrupted by the bees. They were rare visitors, but I loved it when they came. The bees came to drink our nectar and spread the pollen of male flowers. I do not know if I am a ‘he’ or a ‘she’. Zinnia is a ‘she’. I know because she told me.

“Excuse me, Mr. Bee?” I said.

“Yes, little daisy?” He asked.

“Am I female?”

The bee paused and examined me.

“Yes.” He answered a few moments later.

“Oh.”

“But you are also male.”

“Oh?”

“You are hermaphroditic. It means you are both.” The bee smiled.

“Thank you, Mr. Bee.” I smiled back. That didn’t seem like it answered my question. I guess I am a ‘she’, I felt like one. Yes, I am a ‘she’, just like Zinnia.

“Zinnia?” I asked. She was wilting slightly again, and her warning not to worry was overpowered by anxiety in my mind.

“Zinnia?!” I asked again. “Are you still dehydrated?” Zinnia began to perk up, tiredly. There appeared a vine with tiny white buds where her head had been before. Convolvulus Arvenis. Blind weed. An invasive plant deadly to flowers. I gasped.

“You worry too much.” Zinnia laughed. “Perhaps this weed is simply helping to hold our soil.” We both know that this was not the case. But classic Zinnia. Always the optimist.

All the flowers faced the sun as it rose the next day, all except Zinnia, who was leaned against me.

“Get up.” I whispered. “You need the sun.”

“No.” She replied. “I’d rather be closer to you.”

I waited a few moments for Zinnia to fall back asleep before calling for Peony. They seemed annoyed, then they saw Zinnia wilted against me and they gentled.

“Peony,” I asked quietly, as to not wake Zinnia, “have you ever known a flower to survive Convolvulus Arvenis?”

Peony sighed. “Little daisy, I’ve never known a garden to survive blind weed, much less a tiny flower.” I choked back the start of tears, waking Zinnia in the process.

“Are you alright, Daisy?” Zinnia whispered.

“Of course,” was all I managed to spit out.

“Please don’t cry for me. I love you and I can’t bear to see you upset. Just look at the world, Daisy, it’s beautiful.” Zinnia went quiet. I looked to Peony, who lowered their head sadly.

Screams. The screams of new-cut grass woke me again, but the sun was not visible that day, a human was blocking it. They looked concerned.

I looked to Zinnia, she hadn’t even attempted to rise from her wilted state. The human revealed scissors.

There were no screams, everyone was too weak. 

I could’ve sworn the world was less beautiful that day. The loss of an optimist.

I guess flowers actually can be cut.


April 27, 2022 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Jasey Lovegood
08:35 Apr 29, 2022

This is really beautiful, Ella. Something about gay flowers is just <3333 I loved it, amazing work. I look forward to reading more of your work :)

Reply

14:23 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you! Gay flowers are iconic! Thank you for reading! I can’t wait to read more of your work as well!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:40 Apr 30, 2022

They are 🌸 Thank you, I can't wait to see what you think :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laura Eliz
15:43 May 03, 2022

I love how you have given flowers human traits, but, I also read this and feel like you are writing about young people who are forging the path that is discovering who they are amongst bullies (the grass cutters) Such a wonderful story.

Reply

21:36 May 03, 2022

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind feedback! I really like your take on the story! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:12 Apr 29, 2022

What a great, sad story! Others have said it, but flowers as characters is a neat idea. Zinnia is inspiring, and I get the sense that Daisy would have led a much more boring life if they hadn't met. It's like Zinnia showed her what the beauty of the world could be, and then of course it's tragic when she passes.

Reply

21:55 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
11:40 Apr 29, 2022

Why am I crying about *flowers*? What the heck?- Wonderful story, gay flowers, love that.

Reply

14:26 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much for reading! Gay flowers are just super iconic.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
18:26 Apr 28, 2022

What a gut punch at the end, even when you see it coming... is this weed what I know as "bindweed"..? I loved, LOVED the flower POV. So creative, I wish I wrote it..! and it was such a touching story... with an amazing last sentence (which was my absolute favourite one, though, heartwrenching) Thanks for sharing this... so, so cool to read! The chatty Zinnia was lovely... RIP.

Reply

18:33 Apr 28, 2022

Thank you so much for reading! The idea for the flower POV really came out of nowhere, but I’m glad I went with it! I love your stories and your feedback makes my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
16:51 Apr 28, 2022

Wow—you managed to make me feel heartache for a fictional flower in 1000 words. Well done! I love how Zinnia had so much character, how you incorporated personality into the plants somewhat based on their real life characteristics, and built relationships between them in such a short amount of time. This was so easy to read. The first sentence was gripping and the whole story was full of emotion. Awesome job.

Reply

17:00 Apr 28, 2022

Thank you so much! You are such a great writer and your kind feedback is much appreciated! I love your stories and I can’t wait to read more of them!

Reply

Aeris Walker
17:20 Apr 28, 2022

*insert GIF of some celebrity flinging a hand over her heart and smiling* Thank you!! You are so kind—I feel like I learn so much for this community and the accountability/feedback is truly so motivating.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
02:04 Apr 28, 2022

Wow, what an ending! Maybe I should've seen it coming from that opening paragraph, but this got dark pretty quickly, and I love it. Great interpretation of the prompt. Sentient flowers? Very creative idea. Sign me up. I also love to see the addition of gender-fluid and non-binary characters. LGBTQIA+ representation is such a delight. So, thank you for that. Great opening paragraph, nice characterization throughout, and you absolutely nailed the ending. The screams of the grass, the subversion of the "flowers don't get cut" mantra earlier, ...

Reply

02:34 Apr 28, 2022

Thank you so much! You are such an amazing writer and you’re feedback means a lot! Your stories are some of my favorites that I’ve read and your kind words make my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma G.
21:02 Jul 21, 2022

I never knew I could be so sad for a flower!! I know plants can communicate to an extent. I wonder if they can truly feel love for one another. Such a creative story

Reply

01:49 Jul 23, 2022

Thank you so much! I'd like to believe that they can truly feel love. Perhaps beyond how humans know how to put words to? Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:22 May 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

00:53 May 02, 2022

These are great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:02 Apr 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

19:33 Apr 30, 2022

I’m doing pretty good, thank you. How are you?

Reply

Unknown User
22:04 Apr 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:58 Apr 28, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

00:11 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! Us gay writers have to stick together! Thank you for your kind feedback, I really appreciate it! I love your stories too! I can’t wait to read more of them!

Reply

Unknown User
00:22 Apr 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.