A Strange Night

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

13 comments

General

Some people believe that story is some thing or some narration which is untrue. When you say” Story”it means its all fictional not true

Today in this column I’m presenting some “True Life Events.”did happen in our village some sixty years ago.

 .In those days life was very modest.The sources of channel of life were very narrow and limited.

There were scarcity of all the facilities and amenities of daily life and the population growth was very thin.

Occupation of the villagers were mostly Farming.The Farmers were living a very meagre life.

The Government had grant them ,the opportunity of Canal irrigation system,free of charge, for the enhancement of agricultural development.This system is still available with much more advanced technology through out the country.

SO every farmer had its turn of water to water the fields. Farmers had distributed the hours of water supply ,among themselves.

 Daniel , son of an old farmer was among them and his turn of watering the field was set off at night.

One night at nearly 10 o’clock,he went to his field ,it was cold and he was holding a big German Torch,and with the spade he was clearing the water lane.All of a sudden he heard some noise.He looked roundly.  He saw a Wedding House, Completely illuminated and there was a great crowd of attendants there.All were enjoying and sound of musical instruments were echoing , big Lanterns were hanging and igniting and most interesting factor was that notch girls were dancing.

Young Daniel got perturbed.He started thinking “ whose wedding it could be”?  “when I was coming to the field,I didn’t see any house nearby and I’m coming to the field from the last so many months,and i hadn’t seen any construction or house situated here,and how it could be possible that today a house is built in one day,and when i was working tonight in the field , i didn’t see any sign of wedding or crowd, and if there is a wedding party the villagers must have known. why they didn’t invite me and my parents.?According to the rituals of the village,it’s a great stoicism and in every joy and sorrow the villagers take active participation”.So Young Daniel was thinking like this.

All of a sudden young Daniel started walking towards the wedding House.

When he reached there,he saw there were about four hundred attendants,including women and children.The women and children were clad in beautiful clothes,one could say a very fashionable ,and wearing very expensive jewelry ,their clothes were mostly parti coloured.The men were also wearing clothes of native style.Old and aged men were wearing native clothes with turbans and were getting amusement with Hubble bubble pipes.All of a sudden,every thing became halt.It became complete silent .The crowd were gazing towards him,like a man comes from other planet.

When he looked their faces they were all “One Eyed".Their eye was fixed in the middle of their forehead.

So a thought flashed his mind.Once ,when he was a child,his grandfather told him that he saw some strange people near their field but they were very nice and they didn’t bother him.

There was also a very interesting life event been told by the head teacher of a religious school.He told that a boy of about ten years of age ,seek admission in my village religious school.The boy name was Asef.Asef was a very intelligent, obedient,polite and well behaved boy.Asef stayed in the school for about five years but some of his habits were very strange.He used to be very neat and clean,seldom talk,never mixed up with the other students of the school,at the meal time he used to sit separately and he also used to sleep in a small attic by the special permission got by the head teacher.

One night,the head teacher and Asef were sitting in the room ,he was sitting about four feet away from the lantern,the head teacher asked him to lit off the small fire of the lantern.Asef with out a second thought,blew the fire from the place he was sitting,the fire blew off but the head teacher and Asef were looking very astonishingly to each other.The Head teacher now became understood that the story is different,this boy has some super natural power which we didn’t have.He very softly and politely asked Asef about all this happened.Asef told him that” I do not belong to humans,I belong to a community which has some super natural powers,we mostly live in deserted places,we don’t harm humans,I had a special knack for learning,there were no educational institutions there in our area so I came here to your respective institution to get good education,but sir,for God sake don’t tell anybody about this till I’m here”.The head teacher promised Asef and made him sure that it would be remained secret ,till he is here,he could continue his studies with out any hesitation and any interruptions.

In spite of all these thoughts Daniel didn’t become so frightened.He had a believe that these people are not harmful to humans.

 Daniel became little frightened .He had realized that he committed a great blunder coming to words them ,caused a halt and interruptions in their function.


in the meantime again an awed male voice came  “Gentleman,we know you came here by mistakenly, you are not among us,we see you here in the field every night,don’t be scared ,come and join us in our wedding party,it would be a great pleasure for us”.

Daniel did one thing,although he was little frightened but eventhan he became brave and tried to overcome his little nervousness .

He said very friendly to them “I convey my regards and well wishes to you all and I beg leave” As he stepped out from the gate,he again heard that awing .voice “Gentleman,you look quite brave,it’s against our custom to turn down the invitation but if you want to go ,you are allowed but our two men would company you up your field".So Daniel with out uttering any word from his mouth,he started walking towards his field and he on the way felt that some men are accompanying him on the way ,but with great exaltation.

He quickly reached his field and took his bicycle and drove home.He didn’t tell anybody about this incident ,not even to his mother,and went quickly to his bed.

Next day a slight fever was running in his body but he took out his bicycle and peddle up towards the place where the wedding took place last night.He became great astounded when he saw no house,no sign of any wedding or event passed last night. 

He didn’t go to his field for two days,after taking rest and shrieked off the nervousness from his mind and body.

 After two days he became stable.

 Than he narrated the whole event to his parents and to the village folks.

Now, Daniel is more than Eighty years of age and lives in Dubai with his children and grandchildren,when ever he comes to village,he visit that place of wedding House near his field but very strange ,till today there is no house is situated there.

…….The End.


July 20, 2020 10:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Zahida Babar
15:29 Sep 07, 2020

Amazing short story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ali Hassan
18:41 Sep 04, 2020

Good

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yousaf Jan
16:50 Aug 31, 2020

Very good

Reply

Show 0 replies
Furqan Babar
16:55 Aug 29, 2020

Nice story.......

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
17:31 Aug 12, 2020

Yes this story happened in our Village long ago.The characters are still living.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Badar Babar
12:28 Aug 12, 2020

very good

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:14 Aug 12, 2020

This is a True occur of our village.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zardad Babar
08:31 Aug 11, 2020

👍👍 very nice...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
12:01 Aug 09, 2020

It did occur in our village long long ago.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
12:00 Aug 09, 2020

It did accur in our village

Reply

Show 0 replies
Malik Sohrab
07:08 Aug 09, 2020

Beautiful story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Le Pathaan
19:13 Aug 06, 2020

A good read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheejee Babar
17:08 Aug 05, 2020

Keep it up gooooood work

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.