1 comment

Creative Nonfiction East Asian Inspirational

A Punchy Biography.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Once upon a time, in a little kingdom somewhere between the Ganges and the Yamuna rivers, I was born. Siddhartha Gautama, they called me. Yeah, I had a fancy name, but my old man wanted me to be a king or a great warrior or something. So, my crib was decked with gold, and my toys were probably worth more than your house. But you know what? I got sick of that shiny crap real quick.

All right, so picture this: I'm Siddhartha Gautama, born into this palace dripping with gold and silk. Everyone's bowing, calling me Prince Siddhartha. Yeah, real royal shindig. Got servants at my beck and call, feasts that could make a glutton blush, and a silver spoon shoved so far down my throat, that I could taste privilege with every breath.

But you know what? That crap got old. Real old. Every day, it's the same routine - wake up, get pampered, stroll through the palace gardens, rinse and repeat. It's like living in a damn gilded cage. So, one night, I decided to break out. Sneak out like a ninja, leaving behind the cushy life. No more golden diapers or whatever they put on royal babies.

So, one night, I took a stroll outside the palace walls and bam! Reality hit me like a sledgehammer. Poverty, suffering, death - they were out there, just beyond those gilded gates. My sheltered ass was clueless. That was the turning point, man. No more golden cribs for me.

Outside those palace walls, it's a different world, man. Poverty, suffering, people scraping by just to survive. I felt like I'd been living in a bubble, shielded from the real deal. It hit me like a punch in the gut. All those servants, all that luxury - built on the backs of folks who had nothing. It was a rigged game, and I was the dealer's favorite.

So, I cut ties with my princely throne, the silk robes, the whole shebang. No more cushy life, no more pretending. I hit the road, looking for answers. A prince turned wanderer, trading his gold for the grit of reality.

I saw folks struggling, their eyes reflecting the harsh reality I'd been sheltered from. It was like I'd been watching a black-and-white movie, and suddenly, the world turned Technicolor. The rich banquet I had every night felt like a cruel joke when there were people out there barely scraping by, clinging to life like it was a thread unraveling.

And the stench, the sights, the rawness of it all – it seeped into my bones. I couldn't unsee it, and I damn well didn't want to. It was the kind of scene where one would focus on somebody's face, capturing the moment they realize the world isn't a fairy tale. This wasn't some moralistic lesson; it was a wake-up call, a brutal reality check that shook me to my core.

Suddenly, the palace seemed suffocating, the silk robes itchy, and the feasts tasteless. I traded luxury for the grit of life on the streets. No more pretending to be untouched by suffering. It was time to confront it head-on, ready to face the demons lurking in the darkness.

I had a front-row seat to the human condition, and let me tell you, it's not a pretty picture. Death was the great equalizer, and suffering – it was the soundtrack of the streets. I couldn't escape it, but instead of turning away, I leaned into it. It was my script, and I was the protagonist seeking redemption in the chaos of reality.

I hit the road, determined to find the answers. Kicked it with the ascetics, starving myself half to death, thinking I'd hit enlightenment on an empty stomach. Spoiler alert: didn't work. So, there I am Siddhartha Gautama, ditching the palace life for a front-row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. 

I hook up with these ascetics, these dudes who make fasting look like a damn feast. Thought I could fast-track enlightenment, and cut through the noise with a little spiritual starvation. Weeeeeeeell, I already spoiled you with the result, so you can use your imagination and think how this wasn't very "effective" in the end.

We're talking about some hardcore asceticism. Starving myself half to death, living on air and prayers. It wasn't some Zen retreat; it was a one-way ticket to Skeletal City. The pain was relentless, a constant reminder that enlightenment doesn't come cheap. 

But here's the kicker – I wasn't the only one playing this twisted game. These ascetics were my comrades in suffering. We looked like a bunch of mummies with our jaws ready to fall from our faces, all bony limbs, and sunken eyes. It was a freak show, a circus of self-inflicted torment in the name of spiritual awakening.

And you'd think, "Hey, maybe this agony is the express lane to nirvana." But nah, it was more like a detour through the seventh circle of hell. Nights were a symphony of stomach growls, and days were a blur of bone-deep exhaustion. It was like getting a mortgage and thinking you could pay it off by stabbing yourself over and over screaming: "IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD." 

I hit rock bottom, my body a husk, my mind a battleground. The ascetic life – it was a brutal test of will, and the tester was pain itself giving you lovely caresses with a baseball bat filled with rusted nails. I was chasing enlightenment like a man possessed, but it seemed the path to nirvana was paved with the shards of my broken resolve.

All right, so picture this: a walking corpse, the once-pampered prince turned skeletal ascetic, stumbles into Bodh Gaya, the tree known as the Diamond Throne for the meditative, like a man possessed. He's been through the wringer, tried the whole ascetic torture routine, and now he's looking for some real answers. I feel like am about to go on an iron cuff, no holds bar, brawl of brawls with my inner demons.

Bodh Gaya, this sacred spot under a gnarly bodhi tree, becomes my arena. It's the setting for the ultimate face-off – Siddhartha versus enlightenment. I plant my ass under that tree, ready to get real with the universe. No more ascetic theatrics, just me, the Bodhi tree, and the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Now, let's talk about the Noble Eightfold Path – my roadmap to nirvana, my answer to my previously pampered ass, and what I understood after my never-ending suffering. Right view, like seeing the world without the rose-tinted glasses. Right intention, is the commitment to break free from the shackles of suffering. Like building yourself through every moment of pain and hardship.

Right speech, action, and livelihood – the triple threat against the illusions of the ego. No more lies, no more screwing people over, just straight-up truth and righteousness. Imagine taking the chance to believe in your fellow men and commit yourself to the accountability of your actions doesn't matter the consequences that might come.

Then comes the right effort, mindfulness, and concentration – the mental martial arts that keep me in the ring. It's like badass fight scenes, each move precise, each thought a well-executed punch. Of course, what you are hitting is your laziness, superficiality, and lack of focus. 

And there it is enlightenment, hitting me like a monsoon. The path wasn't about torturing myself or escaping reality; it was about diving headfirst into it. The Bodhi tree becomes my witness, and under its branches, I unravel the mysteries of existence. It's the climax, the all-encompassing culmination, the zenith, I am on the apex. I become the Buddha, not through ascetic brutality, but through the Noble Eightfold Path – I write my destiny.

Alright, buckle up, because describing Nirvana is like trying to put an acid trip into words. You know that feeling when the pieces of a puzzle finally click into place, and it's like a freakin' explosion in your mind? Well, achieving Nirvana is like that, but on every single steroid known to man. It's not some fluffy clouds-and-harp-music situation; it's more like a rearrangement of the mind, body, and soul achieving unity, inner peace, and understanding of all planes in the narrative of life.

You're swimming in this pool of pure awareness, man. Every thought, every sensation, it's not just yours – it's the universe dancing inside your head. No more clinging to desires, no more wrestling with the past or the future. Nirvana is that moment when the movie of your life turns into an epic saga, and you're not just watching it; you're directing the damn thing.

I indulged and abstained from the best and worst vices, and found new clarity. And because I achieved this...

Through Heaven and Earth, I Alone Am The Awakened One...

Cool right?"

January 17, 2024 04:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
18:51 Jan 17, 2024

Right, cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.