0 comments

Science Fiction Urban Fantasy Funny

TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MATCH

-You cannot accept the challenge, Adrian! He will smash you like an idiot!

-It’s all right, Mary: don’t worry for me. I have a plan!

-Does it mean that this “Doctor Gravitron” has a plan for you?

-Don’t put it like that! You know he is the most expert in matter of superhuman beings! He knows everything about Ultimus! Do I need to remind you how many times they fought?

-DO I NEED to remind you how many times he won?

-Yes but it doesn’t matter! He always managed to get away with that!… Mary, Mary listen to me: he is smart, he is the most intelligent man of the World.

-HE IS A CRIMINAL!

-Ok yes he was a criminal. But now he’s reformed! He’s helping the government to develop a super drug that could make us like THEM! Can you imagine Mary? I would be the first one of a new species! Me, a super hero!

-A super idiot! Why, if this drug is super powerful and miracolous would they want to share it with you? Why not keeping it by themselves?

-You don’t get it. I am famous, Mary! I am considered like a legend, you know it! Adrian Bulls, the strongest man alive! You know, there’s rumors…people say I would have beaten even Ali!

-So it’s some sort of twisted propaganda right? You’re like a puppet in the hands of some big heads of the Gov!

-I AM NOT A PUPPET MARY! Don’t…don’t you even dare saying it. I make my own choices, and this is MY choice! I want to be more, I want to inspire, Mary. To be a symbol.

-You’re a boxer Adrian, you’re already are too much of a symbol. And then why do you want it so much to “be a moral example”? Can’t you just stick with the box and be a good boxer? What put you in the position to be morally better than the rest of us?

-See Mary? That’s something you will never understand!

-No Adrian, I will never, ever understand… And at the moment I am not even understanding you…us…

-What do you mean?

-I mean, that if this thing is more important than what we have, I think it’s better if I leave you to it.

-You’re gonna leave me to…

-We are done, Adrian. Good luck with your experiment.

-OK MARY GO AWAY! LEAVE ME AND DON’T COME BACK! DON’T COME BACK WHEN I’LL BE THE GOD THAT I DESERVE TO BE! DON’T COME BACK!

-…I won’t.

———————————————————

TWO HOURS BEFORE THE MATCH

-Adrian, it’s like we tried the other times. You will ingest the pill right before the rounds begin and you will be able to compete for the 3 minutes. According my calculations, it will be over during the 3rd, 4th round. Ultimus stamina is not what it used to be, and after a few minutes of him using his powers, he gets weaker and weaker. That will be the time to strike him stronger!

-Doc, i do not have to kill him, remember?

-OF COURSE NOT Adrian! This is just a game! Some stupid silly propaganda for our program! Just focus on the winning, and the most glorious the victory, the biggest the success for us! Think of it: we won’t need a superhero anymore. WE will be ALL super! And you will be the first of a new era!

-The first…Doc, thank you for the opportunity. 

-It’s a pleasure for me Adrian, you know it. Isn’t it what I always strived to achieve? The independency of the human race against those super beings that are popping around the globe like mushrooms! Oh, how many mistakes I made… I was focused on erasing them without understanding that the good that I could do for the humanity was to make us like them! I am happy that I chose you, Adrian… You’re good and your heart is pure. You will be my redemption for my mistakes!

-It will be an honor for me Doc!

-Go on then, and beat him Tiger!

———————————————————

TWO MINUTES BEFORE THE MATCH

-Look who showed up in the end, right how I said…

-Adrian, I am not here to cheer for you, or to adulate you. I am here to dissuade you from this nonsense.

-Why? Why you want to undermine my rise?

-I AM TRYING TO UNDERMINE YOUR DEATH! And I want it because….

-BECAUSE?

-Because in a twisted and stupid and masochist way I love you Adrian! No matter how many times you try to kill this feeling, I can’t help to care about you.

-You don’t love me. And you’ve never had. You were in love with my name!

-You, stupid, stupid boy! I never cared about that!

-I have a match to attend to.

-Then go. Go in that field. But if you make another step, you will be alone forever.

-All the World is cheering for me.

-Good luck Adrian Bull.

-I don’t need luck. I have strength.

———————————————————

TWO SECOND AFTER THE BEGINNING OF THE MATCH

-Are you sure about that Adrian?

-Are you scared, Ultimus? Are you scared that this thing will make you…obsolete?

-I am not scared by that Adrian. I am just worried of what machinations could have Dottor Gravitron designed this time…

-What Doc wants is only to make the humanity stronger and capable of defending by itself! I am sorry for you, but not everyone is a villain, not always the red caped hero need to intervene to save the poor victims! Sometimes the victims can solve it by themselves!

-You talk like him…

-He is a great man that made some mistakes and now he’s trying to fix them! Something you never tried to do! Now shut up and let’s begin! Hit me!

-I won’t hit you…

-You’re scared? Watch…

-I admit, it’s impressive. That bar of steel looked pretty much unbendable…even for me…all right then…let’s start this thing!

———————————————————

TWO SECONDS AFTER THE END OF THE MATCH

-We are still shocked on what we just saw live! I am sorry for what the viewers needed to see! Ultimus just smashed the brain out of the legendary boxer Adrian Bull with a single punch! They were alone in that field and we weren’t able to recover any audio of the conversation that preceded what is impossible to even call a match… And now we see Ultimus flying away at umprecedent speed! Is he fleeing? We really don’t know what we just witnessed. We are sure that this will rise a lot of questions! Why did Ultimus took that life? It was just an accident? Does Doctor Gravitron have anything to do with that? Here is reporter Michael Smithers, line to the studio!

———————————————————

TWO MINUTES AFTER THE END OF THE MATCH

-Let me in Marcus

-Boss Gravitron! I am terribly sorry for what happened! The experiment was a complete failure!

-Don’t show your stupidity any more than the necessary Marcus. The experiment was a huge success!

-But the pill didn’t work!

-What pill, exactly? The “miraculous super pill” that could grant incredible powers? If something like that would exist, don’t you think I would have taken it by myself? You little…

-But the steel bar…

-It was a fake. A brilliant, ingenious, rubber polymer, that not even Ultimus, or the same stupid Bull, recognized as fake.  

-But why all this complicate act?

-Didn’t you see? Ultimus killed a man.

-Not on purpose!

-Yes, and that we know. And you should keep your stupid mouth shut about that!

-I still don’t get it. What do you want to achieve with that boss?

-Shut up and drive! I need to take this call!…Hello, mr President! Yes, yes I saw that. A tragic event. Yes, we need to be ready for the worst. I would be happy to help you. I have some top secret plan to take him down that I would be pleased to discuss with you….

May 19, 2021 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.