0 comments

Adventure Sad Romance

I sat by the fire and sniffed the warm air. It smelled of waffles and a brown mix that came from brown seeds. Something rubbed into my shoulder. "Hello Kitsune." I said. Kitsune sat next to me, the fire making her white fir turn orange. "You seem tense," She said to me. "I'm just worried." I said. "About what?" Kitsune asked me. "About us." Kitsune laughed. "I'm here, our humans are here, we live in perfect harmony. We'll never be apart! Stop worrying and just enjoy life." Kitsune leaned into me. "I guess you're right Kitsune. Life is perfect." "Isn't it?"

I woke up, and the warm feeling drained from my fur. I tried to hold onto the dream as long as I could, but soon I lost it. I walked over to the broken down fireplace. I stared at it. What happened to the orange warmth it produced? The logs hardly existed. They were covered in icicles. I sniffed. This winter food was scarce. I was afraid to go up to humans, after it happened. I soon learned humans are no good, low down horrible creatures who would go out of their way to bring pain onto other living things. But what about your humans? They were nice, kind in fact. They were yours.

I sighed. I longed for company in the cabin. I walked over to the kitchen area. I opened the fridge using my jaws, but I knew it would be empty. It was completely empty, but it held the smell of cooked steak that was years old. I sighed. No food. Would I starve this winter? Not if I learned how to hunt, I told myself. I padded outside, pushing aside the broken door. I could smell rabbit. It was deep under the ground, so I dug for it. I found its tunnels. I ran past me, and I snapped my jaws, but I missed. I growled softly. This would be hard.

My next attempt was trying to snap a bird out of the sky. I remembered snapping flying disks that my humans threw for us. I caught scent of a bird I didn't know the name of. It was three. I couldn't tell their exact age but they were all young. I crept up to the tree they were nestled in. Maybe I would eat! I crouched, and leaped. I hit the branch painfully. The nest flew out of the air. The birds chirped frantically. As I was about to pick one up to finish it off, something poked my tail. I yelped. I wasn't going to let this chance slip by! I picked the small bird up by the wing, and ran as quick as I could for the cabin. I dropped the small bird. It chirped faintly. I felt a pang of pity for the bird. "Don't feel bad for you prey!" I growled to myself. I quickly finished it off. I gobbled it in one bite. I knew I should have saved this, because prey wouldn't come as easily. I curled up next to the fireplace.

"Catch it Rider!" Kitsune yelled. I snapped the ball up in by jaws. "Got it!" I yelled. Kitsune ran up next to me. "You goof," She said, giving me a playful lick on the head. "I'm cold. What about you?" I asked her. "I'm cold." Kitsune said. "Rider! Kitsune!" A voice yelled from the door. "Looks like we should go inside." Kitsune said.

By the time I woke up it was dark. I was hungry, but I didn't want to hunt in the dark. I didn't want to sleep, afraid that I'd have another dream of my past life. They weren't bad dreams, it just hurt to wake up and realise its all gone. I got up and started to explore the cabin more. I wouldn't go into Kitsune's room, because it had too much of her scent. I sniffed the door, as I always did, half expecting her scent to be fresh. Kitsune's fresh scent hit the roof of my mouth suddenly. She was here! I crawled through the door with ease. No one was here. "Kitsune?" I called hopefully. No reply. I sighed. My imagination was getting to me. I sighed. I felt tired. I was tired of fighting sleep. MIght as well have a dream about her while I'm at it. I curled back up, and fell asleep.

"Is it working?" Kitsune asked. "I'm not sure," I said. I poked it with my paw. The black screen burst to life. "Woah!" I yelled. "Wow! This black box actually works!" Kitsune said. "Stay away from it. It might be trying to lure us in and eat us!" I said. Kitsune laughed. "Is my big bad brother afraid of a talking box?" "No! I-I can uh," I jumped up and hit the black box. "There!" Kitsune looked up. "Rider..." Kitsune said. "What? Just afraid of my awesome victory?" I said. The black box it me on the head.

"Rider?" Kitsune called. "hm?" I asked. I looked up. "Get your snout out of my face!" I said. "You dumb idiot!" Kitsune said sternly, but with a touch of amusement. I got up and stared back at it. "What will we tell our owners?"

The chirping of birds made me blink my eyes awake. I stretched my legs. Another day. I decided to hunt excessively today, so maybe I could have a decent dinner. I went outside and graced my eyes on a surprising sight. The snow was gone. The birds chirped loudly. I wagged my tail joyfully. Prey would be easier to catch! The smell of Kitsune hit the roof of my mouth. "Rider..." A voice called. "Kitsune?" I asked the air. "Rider..." "Kitsune!" I yelled. She was truly here. "Come," She said.

I followed her scent. It lead me to a cliff. "How can I follow you?" "Jump," She said. "But I can't!" I said. "Jump," Kitsune said patently. "I want to see you again...but I don't want it that bad," I said reluctantly. Her smell immediately disappeared. "Kitsune! Kitsune!" I yelled. Who was I kidding? I wanted to see her more than ever.

So I jumped.

I fell at lightning speeds, but even as I fell it felt like time was slowing down. Memories flashed by.

Kitsune and I laughing. Kitsune and I sleeping side by side. Kitsune and I chasing green balls up and down the hill.

I closed my eyes, and a firey pain hit me hard. It slowly drifted away.

I opened my eyes and found myself in the cabin. "Kitsune?" I called. "I'm right here sleepy head. You slept all morning." Kitsune said, padding up to me. "Was it a dream?" "Of course it was. What else could it be? Woah!" I hugged her. As we stood on our hind legs, I slowly forgot about the dream.

I sat by the fire and sniffed the warm air. It smelled of waffles and a brown mix that came from brown seeds. Kitsune sat next to me, the fire making her white fir turn orange. "You seem tense," She said to me. "I'm just worried." I said. "About what?" Kitsune asked me. "About us." Kitsune laughed. "I'm here, our humans are here, we live in perfect harmony. We'll never be apart! Stop worrying and just enjoy life." Kitsune leaned into me. "I guess you're right Kitsune. Life is perfect." "Isn't it?"

little did I know, my dream would become the realest possible future later that day...

January 19, 2021 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.