3 comments

Kids

Although Lucy was just an average seven years old, she had what many didn't imagination. She woke up to the sound of bickering downstairs, wondering what was going on; she hopped out her bed and rushed down the stairs, almost plunging. The sound was getting nearer. She saw that her parent's room was shut closed. They never closed the door, wondering why she slowly tiptoed to the door and bent down to peer through the door's crack. She could see her parents pacing around as if they had made a huge mistake. She stuck her ears by the entrance of the crack to try and get some words out.

"We need to leave this place. Lucy is not protected here, and you know that!" Her mother said while tears continued spilling from her eyes.

"Lower your voice; Lucy could be up any minute now and hear you what will we tell her," Her father said while shoving her mom to the corner of the room.

Lucy was puzzled about what were they were hiding from her. As she began to get up, she hit the knob of the door; a loud noise was made. She knew her parents heard it, so she ran back up the stairs making the least amount of noise and leaped in her bed.

As she heard the door opening, she tried even harder to fall asleep even more. Until abruptly, she felt her father kiss on her cheeks. Lucy played it off, attempting to make it seem as if she didn't feel it. 

She knew her parents could see right through her act, but surprisingly she heard footsteps heading to the door then the door shut close.

Her panicking turned to a deep breath. She had to figure out what they were hiding, so she carefully stepped out of her bed, grabbed the biggest teddy bear she could find, placed it on her bed and pulled the covers over it. 

Lucy grabbed her doorknob carefully twisted it then closed it behind her. She walked down the stairs making sure no noise was made. She saw her parents resting on the sofa watching the news on the TV. 

  She crawled on the ground, and as she got more near the room, she could scent something off. It smelt like rotten metal if there's such a thing. Upfront was worse. She closed the door behind her and examined the room. 

Her eyes sprung to the noticeable thick wall painted a hideous dark grey, cracks everywhere, patches of a broken wall, and scanning the rest of the room she could tell it was empty, making it difficult to believe she was at her parent's room.

She didn't recognize anything unusual, so what was that awful smell. She was about to leave when she heard her mother voice from the living room. shyly saying

  "Don't you think it's best if we wake lucy up and reveal everything to her." 

Lucy prayed that they would replace that idea. 

  "That's absurd if she finds out what we are. She will never be the same again." Her father said in rage while waving his hands around.

Again all her anxiety left as she kept searching she was following the trail of the scent she ended up at the corner of the wall. The wall seemed different. Now that she observed it, she could see the patches of different colours and a sudden dent in the wall. Lucy started to know on the wall, but very lightly, She noticed a change in sound almost as if there was a hole behind the wall. She peered even closer, and she saw a small line on the wall forming a square. 

   A typical seven years old would have left it there, but Lucy is different. She took hold of the penny that was in her pocket, and she outlined the wall shifting around it. The line got thicker and thicker. Until at last, it came open, nothing popped out or jumped at her; it was just an ordinary box, Or was it?; laying there was a large box coated with webs and dirt.

She seized the box and noticed it was difficult to hold. What could be inside? She placed it on her parent's mattress and tore open the box to her utter shock she found a small wand clothed in sparkle; It looked very mystical. It was thin, wooded and was formed like a thin arched cylinder. She also discovered where the odour was coming from.

  Beside the wand was a very visually pleasing book. She read the words "Beginner spells for all witch and wizards. As she was reading it each time, her voice getting higher and more chaotic. Her eyes bulged on the books' pages as they were coated in gold and shining within each page. She could see the illustrations on the paper demonstrating how to do it why was it moving? That should not have been moving, well not on its own anyway. 

  She heard movement by the coach did her parents catch to her? Were they coming? What should she do? All those questions raced through her head as she panicked for a solution. 

  She quickly threw the box back to its place and hid under their bed. A few seconds later, her parents were opening the doorknob.

" Honey, didn't we leave the door open," her father said while scratching at his head.

" Lucy's still in bed; therefore, I suppose we closed it." her mother said, laughing it off.

 "She doesn't know I can't believe we kept it from her all this time; she has the right to know who she is." Her mother said

" Honey, we spoke about this already; she needs to know she is normal, not different from the rest of her friends." her father said while rolling his eyes and scoffing.

"I suppose," her mother replied with.

" Plus, who wants to know they are related to a wizard and a witch," her father said while smirking. They both started laughing.

Lucy couldn't take it anymore. She felt sudden dizziness come upon her; she couldn't move, so she stared into the room's darkness, wondering what was happening to her. What she didn't know was her body was betraying her. She could sense herself drifting off to sleep slowly, and as she got weaker, she heard faint cries. 

  She woke up later that morning to find herself in her bed. Did they figure it out? She knew they did; She should have stayed out. 

Her doorknob started to open slowly she knew she was in trouble what would she tell them? 

They came in, and instead of screaming, they had worried looks on their face. 

"my goodness Lucy, you're awake we have been trying to wake you all morning you wouldn't budge, you were talking in your sleep, You even called us witches and wizards," her mother said panicking.

Lucy didn't understand what are they talking about? 

She scurried off her bed and rushed down the stairs to the same location she found the box, but this time there was nothing. No smell, no outline, no box, no wand and no Book. She finally believed them that all this time; She was just dreaming. What a big misunderstanding.

Lucy really is an unusual child with a very imaginative head.

" Next time you want to accuse us of being a witch and wizard, make sure you're not dreaming." her mother said, eyeing her.

" I'll try my best, but next time I'm crossing my fingers that you guys are royalties," Lucy said while winking and flashing her white teeth, and they all laughed with amusement for a long time.

May 29, 2020 00:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

07:12 Jan 21, 2021

Superb History. I appreciated you Yordanos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:45 Jun 01, 2020

I have to say, I saw "Lucy" and immediately thought "Narnia," and then I read about the spell book and thought "Harry Potter," and then I got to the end and thought "Oh, a dream?" Part of me wishes she hadn't dreamt it, but good job building interest/suspense!

Reply

17:15 Jun 01, 2020

Thank you so much I'm just a beginner I just thought i'd have some fun glad you enjoyed it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.