The Dark Walk

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

1 comment

Thriller Drama

The Dark Walk


The water was ice cold and hypothermia was a certainty and not a maybe likelihood. The splash of her body falling into the water was loud, like a quick burst of noise, in the quiet crisp winter night. But not something that would be noticed by anyone at this time of night.  But fortunately for Kelley, a fisherman was on his boat doing some repairs in the cabin of the boat. He stuck his head out of the cabin and looked around for the cause of the splash and then from the corner of his eye, he saw a body in the water. Kelley was unconscious from the temperature of the water when she hit the water, her body instantly went into shock and she became unconscious. 


Kelley did not realize that someone was fishing her out of the cold frigid water. She was rushed to the hospital, revived and treated for hypothermia. The fisherman Simon, could not believe that she survived especially this time of year winter. Kelley was asked the question by the fisherman, the police and hospital staff “Were you trying to commit suicide?” Kelley was furious at the question even though she knew…they had to ask it.  She hated that she was saved, all she wanted to do was leave this world to get away from her pain.


Kelley soon realized that she did not want to die. The reason that she did was not worth taking her life over. It became apparent to her when her then-boyfriend showed up at the hospital and scrutinized her "I don't understand it what would make you do something so stupid!" as he said this to her his eyes were squinted and he was shaking his head. "I seriously don't know what I am going to do with you…I don't? Kelley knew then and there that he had no clue how his behaviour and treatment of her made her feel undervalued and second choice. That was the last straw for Kelley.  This is where we come to that cold winter night in question which led her to the town's wharf and land her in that cold icy water.


So cold...a dark winter night. Kelley is walking, walking aimlessly without any destination in mind, she stops and pulls out yet another cigarette; lights it inhales and slowly exhales the smoke, closing her eyes like she is about to float away into the cold night air, it feels so good, it's just what she needed to calm her nerves, if not for a little while until she has to face her depressing situation again...she is trying to steer clear of the wharf on this dark winters night...for she is afraid of what she may decide to do…


It all started earlier that day Kelley and her boyfriend Ted were planning to have a quiet Friday night in and watch some movies and have a few drinks. But one of his pot-smoking friends drops by and wants to know if he has any stash he could buy off of him. "Sure man let me go out in the shed and get some, let's go! Ted grabbed his jacket and quickly put on his sneakers and went out to the shed with his friend Mark. Kelley knew that their quiet night was over and Ted would be out in the shed for a better part of the evening, smoking up with his friend, and catching up, the usual. 


Kelley was getting tired of the drug use, the stepson that “really” wasn't…just a child from a previous common-law relationship, that he felt obligated to, because of guilt for not being there and his own mostly fatherless childhood.  "I will be a little while babe," he casually said to Kelley as he leaned over to kiss her before going to the shed. She was feeling so useless and sad like she was always alone regardless of being in a relationship. It did not help that she was experiencing a nagging overwhelming sense of constant sadness, that she could not explain and she felt more and more like she was worthless like no one would ever want her, even if she were able to summon up the courage to leave Ted.


At the hospital, Kelley was to stay for a follow up to make sure she was treated for her mental stability and health for a few days. In those few days Simon the fisherman that saved her life would stop in to visit her at first she was embarrassed by the visit but he assured her that she had nothing to be embarrassed about. As those few days went by she began to see Simon as a friend and maybe a little more. Kelley one day looked at Simon through a different lens she began to see him as a “man” a rather handsome one at that, beautiful Robbin egg blue eyes, short wavy ginger red hair, a moustache and beard, medium height and a rugged muscular build. She could feel an attraction but also a bond that had developed between them.


Kelley found herself asking her family to bring in not only a change of clothes but other items, things one would not think would be needed for a hospital stay, like makeup, hair products, her favourite perfume. But her family did not question her requests they were happy that she was asking for these items, it showed them she was getting better in their eyes. Her extra effort towards her appearance did not go unnoticed by Simon, one day he remarked, "You have the most beautiful smile…sweet, sexy and caring all at the same time." Kelley didn't know what to say all she could do was blush and smile even more!


It was the day of Kelley's release from the hospital and Simon was right there to help her as well as her family who had grown accustomed to seeing him there at her beside which is more than what they could have said about her absentee boyfriend. The week before Ted visited to see Kelley he was a little nervous like he didn't know what to say or even want to be there. "Ted I think we should stop seeing each other," she said with such clarity and confidence that it struck him like she had slapped him across the face. "You can't be serious Kelley, you need me, now who would want to take on your unstable state of mind, no one but me!" he yelled at her with his hands clenched into tight fists. He said this so loudly that one of the nurses from the nurses' station came to the door of her hospital room and asked, "Is everything alright here?" Kelley looked straight and steady on at the nurse and said, "Yes, everything is alright here now, Ted was just leaving." 


Ted stood there in the room bewildered for a minute, "I gave you everything, everything food, shelter, what more could you want, I provided." He was clueless he thought I gave you these things you should be happy and just settle for that until I find what I want for me. Kelley thought this, it was his mindset and it was not s heavily guarded secret. His friends would always say to him, "Why aren't the two of you married yet, Kelley is such a nice, smart girl!" His response was always, "She doesn't want to marry me." When deep down Ted was using Kelley has a stand-in of sorts, until something better comes along. "Alright if that's what you want, I will be packed up tonight and out of the apartment." He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek and left. As he left the room she did not cry it was like a weight was lifted off of her shoulders and disappeared instantly!  


A smile came across her face and the nurse Jenny that had checked in to make sure things were alright, knocked on the door and came in, "I hope you are alright is there anything that I can do?" Kelley shook her head and said, "No, I am more than alright…I am finally free of what was bringing me down and ready to begin a new chapter of my life, a chapter of happiness and love with that fisherman named Simon and who a year later became her husband.


June 03, 2020 18:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anja Z
10:27 Jun 11, 2020

Good story , I would have liked to know more about Kelley and how she feels now and less about the past , but the past does make her who she is now. Also I would have liked you to distinct between her thought about the past and the present. "It all started earlier that day Kelley and her boyfriend Ted were planning to have a quiet Friday night in and watch some movies and have a few drinks." Still sentence also I see there is two "and" , maybe you can remove the one and put a comma there instead. Good story. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.