0 comments

Drama Romance Funny

I would have loved to say we flew into the town late at night. I have always loved flying, even more, at night. There is just something about it that makes you feel like you are bigger than life. I love it when the plane takes off, it is such a big machine, holding the lives of hundreds of people in its ' gigantic man-made wings. Maybe if I closed my eyes right now, I could pretend I am flying into this town and not actually driving in. Well, technically I am not driving, my husband is, and I am sitting on the passengers’ seat. 

“Fari?” He says my name like a question, and I know he said something that I missed whilst I was daydreaming, or night dreaming, is that even a thing? Night dreaming, I mean.

“Sorry, I didn’t get that,’ I respond. 

“I was just saying I can’t wait to see how this town looks in the daytime. Looks very promising right now.” 

“Hmmm.” I cannot bring myself to say more because I already know it looks better at night. Looks better because you cannot see much besides the lights further along in the town. We are still about 10kms from the actual town and we are surrounded by mountains. I like mountains, at least. The GPS says we are 9kms from the hotel we will be staying at tonight, which tells me it is right in the midst of the town. I already knew that. 

“Still wishing we’d flown in?” He asks reaching for my hand and I let him hold it for a second before I pull away.

“You know I don’t like driving long distances.” Technically we did not have a choice since the nearest airport from this town is two hours away hence, we sent our car ahead of us so we could drive from the airport. He closes the window as it is very chilly outside, another thing about this place, the weather is a for annoying. 

Tadi realizes that I do not want to talk, and we go the rest of the journey in silence. We settle into the hotel, unimpressive, and then we have dinner, also unimpressive. As we go to sleep, I cannot help feeling like I am in for a long year and not in a good way.

Tadi tosses and turns in bed the whole night. When he is really excited about something, he can barely sleep. With each toss and turn, I can feel my anxiety peak. I do not want to be here. At all. 

The clock says 5 am and normally I would be fast asleep at this time but that will probably not happen for a while. Today we move into our new flat and we go shopping for our new furniture. We sold everything before we left Cape town and agreed a fresh start was the best way to go. Or rather, Tadi decided and I just went along with it. I know I sound somewhat pessimistic and like a Debbie downer, but I am the most optimistic person you will ever meet. I just happen to know that this town is not the place for me. You cannot leave a place like Cape town and expect that Grahamstown will be the place for you. Unless if you are Tadi. 

Before he made the decision for us to come here together, I was okay with him leaving and us seeing each other every month or so. We were both lecturers at the university of Cape town and when he received a job offer at the university of Rhodes, literally paying him more than double his then salary he did not think twice about taking the job. They really wanted him here and they did not hesitate when he said he also needed a job offer for his wife if he was to consider the move at all. It took a week to have both our contracts up and, in that time, I half wished the plans would fall through. That was two weeks ago and now university resumes in a weeks’ time. Which means we have one week to settle into this town. 

I have always been a woman who likes to be prepared for any situation. I looked up this place on google, really grateful for that big little tool. I looked up the town and the university extensively because I could never walk into a situation with my eyes closed. All the research I did told me this move was a bad move. Not just for me but for our relationship. I was going to hate this place and its nonexistent social life and that was going to make me dislike Tadi. I still came, which proves I am an even bigger fool than I thought.

After breakfast we head out the door with no idea where we are going. As always, I am prepared, both Tadi and I are in black hoodies because the weather app said it will be windy and cold today. 

“Did you manage to get an Uber?” Tadi asks as he closes the door behind us. We decide not to drive as we do not know the place well enough yet.

“They don’t have Uber here, but I called a cab, the receptionist gave me some numbers.” I almost want to roll my eyes. I would think he would know that since he is the one who wanted us to come here so bad. 

 The town is small. As the real estate agent shows us around the apartment, I cannot help but love it. She tells us the apartment complex is new and I love the design. We want to move in as soon as possible so we sign the contract and she hands over the keys.

It is 10am when we leave the complex and head to do some furniture and essentials shopping. The agent was kind enough to tell us where to go and considering the size of the town, it really does not sound like we will have a hard time finding any of the stores. We decide to walk as it is not a long distance. 

As we walk there, I notice the weather has changed drastically from what it was earlier. The sun is bright and shiny. I would be annoyed if I were not happy to be out of the cold. 

“What kind of roads are these?” Tadi asks as he walks around a pothole. There are everywhere and unlike Tadi I am not surprised by this because I already knew this town was populated with potholes and donkeys. As if on cue, as we turn the corner to the shopping complex, we see two donkeys rummaging through a trash can. I have never been so up close to donkeys before but instead of being scared I find myself curious. Would they bite me if I got closer? Do they even bite? 

“Where are you going?” Tadi asks me pulling on my arm and I realize I was edging closer and closer to the donkeys. I quickly skirt back to him and we walk into the complex arm in arm. My mood feels a little bit uplifted. In fact, this is the best I have felt this whole week.

I almost laugh when the store manager tells us we will have to order most of our furniture from their online store. She says they do not sell much furniture instore since the town is small and they mostly cater to students who do not buy furniture. Tadi’s face is priceless. He does not look amused. We buy whatever we can, from bed linen to lamps and any decorative stuff they have. They agree to deliver everything to our apartment the next day. 

As we walk out of the store the weather is back to its gloomy self. “What kind of weather switches every minute?” Tadi asks as he wears the hood of his hoodie. 

“Grahamstown weather, clearly.” I reply slightly amused. 

We walk back to the hotel as it is almost lunch time. We use a different route which passes the cathedral. It is beautiful and I find myself taking a quick snap to send to my mom. I am sure she will be excited about it as she couldn’t stop talking about how this town was known as the ‘City Of Saints’ and how she couldn’t wait to come visit us and see all the beautiful church buildings they have. She was right, the buildings are beautiful and just looking at them gives you the feeling that you are bigger than life. Just like flying.

Lunch goes by very slowly for me. I am rather keen on seeing the university, unexpectedly, but I want to see where I will be working so that I can come to terms with all of it. The university is situated less than two minutes from our hotel and as we head out, hand in hand I notice I can see the famous Clock Tower from where we are. The time on it is wrong but it stands very tall and proud. Like it is well aware that at least twice a day, it shows the right time. Trees line the walkway leading to the tower. This from what I read is the universities administration building. I also read that the university has no gates and sure enough we just walk through an arch that is open for all, no security whatsoever. 

“These buildings are so beautiful,” I gasp looking at Tadi. He has been unusually quiet since we left the apartment complex earlier. 

“Well that’s one thing that is reassuring.” He mutters. I am about to ask what he means when I am distracted by the slight drizzle that suddenly starts. It makes the university buildings look like they are part of a huge castle somewhere in the North. The buildings are made of stone and the gardens are so well kept I want to admire it all forever.

“We should get back to the hotel before it starts snowing.” Tadi says leading me towards one of the exits on the east side of the university.

“It doesn’t snow here,” I say matter-of-factly not wanting to leave.

“With the way the weather just changes I’m not too sure about that.” He says turning and almost falling after his shoe gets caught in a pothole.

It is almost comical seeing how uncomfortable he is. I know he is my husband and I should not celebrate his misery. However, he is the one who begged me to move with him, to, ‘” give it a year.” 

“I think I hate it here; everything is so dull. It is nothing like Cape town,” he says remorsefully.

I look around us and I cannot help but chuckle. This is basically a university town. It even looks like most of the town is a university. With its little bars and the weather that is so full of character. The potholes and the donkeys that seem more at home than the humans are, the fresh crisp air. I expected Tadi’s words to come from MY mouth, but I think I love it here. Everything is so different, and it just feels like there is so much space for growth. 

I pat Tadi’s shoulder in reassurance. “It will just be for a year,” I say.

“The roles surely have been reversed,” he chuckles as he sweeps some drizzle off my hoodie.

“It is going to be a long one,” he says, and his tone tells me he is not in the least bit excited. 


September 18, 2020 08:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.