0 comments

High School Friendship Funny

The sharp, chilly winds of October wrapped around me as I approached Mindy’s Coffee Shop. Not more than a week before, I received the confirmation email that sealed the hiring process. Being just 16, this was my first job, my first source of income, my first step to the future. As a 16 year old, my job options were slightly bigger, but still limited; bagging groceries, cleaning movie theater floors, tutoring, nothing my taste. When I had heard about the arrival of Mindy’s Coffee Shop, I leapt at my chance for this job, along with many others my age. Practically every teenager who was 16 or older submitted an application. Everyone except for Daisy Brooks, who probably would never have to work a day in her life. Daisy was the definition of spoiled, and she knew it. For Daisy, life seemed to come easier to her. Never having to worry about if she wanted a car, if she could afford more clothes, or if she could go to her dream college without a scholarship. But for the rest of us, we needed every extra dollar for our future. Coming from a small town in Connecticut, there were only so many jobs that were open for my age, at least ones that had a small element of leisure. 

The small, silvery bell tingled at the top of the door, as I stepped into the warm coffee shop. Soft aromas of cinnamon and pumpkin spice engulfed me, being that it was fall. I scanned the small, yet homelike coffee shop, looking at all the cases of treats and decorations. I had seen a few pictures on Mindy's website, but had been expecting more of a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts feel. The room was decorated with little leaves of red, orange, and gold wrapped around the ceiling, with little inspirational signs on each corner. Two big chalkboards sat on the back wall, with menu items, miniature pumpkins, and acorns drawn on. In big, block letters, Try Our New Autumn Drinks, was written across. Golden light beamed from the window seat, and little, ornate plants were placed on each of the seven tables. 

“Welcome, welcome! You must be Maya, our newest employee! I am Melinda Smith, or just Mindy!” a tall and thin woman chanted as she came from behind the counter. 

Mindy had soft brown curls and dainty wrinkle lines around her bright, green eyes. She appeared to be middle-aged, but that didn’t stop the excitement radiating off her.

I straightened my slouch and smiled, “Yes, I am Maya.”

“I have been so excited to meet you ever since I received your application! I even got custom aprons!” Mindy beamed, as she unfolded a black apron with my name in swirly red letters sewn on it. 

I grimaced when Mindy handed me my apron. I couldn’t help it, all of this seemed a little much. I had been expecting a more calm and chill job, where all I had to do was pour some black coffee, and occasionally creamer in a cup. Mindy hadn't seem to notice though, as she tied my apron around my neck. She made a tight, black bow and smiled warmly, almost like she had just approved of me.

“Well come along now, I have so many drinks for you to learn how to create,” she instructed and motioned for me to follow. 

I could tell Mindy was trying, so I put on a smile back. We went behind the front counter, to a long bar-like table. Milk, creamers, spices, syrups, and coffee machines were lined up, with little labels taped on each one. I recognized the swirly handwriting on each label from the menu, no doubt belonging to Mindy.

I ran my fingers along the countertop. “I really like the way you decorated everything,” I complimented. 

“Oh thank you! I didn’t do it alone of course, I had some help. Do you know my other little elf?” she laughed as I tried to hide my raised eyebrow. Little elf? 

“No, I don’t think I do,” I responded quickly. 

Mindy pulled a brochure from a drawer and handed it to me. “Well I assume you will meet him any minute now, he does tend to be a little late. Aside from that, let me show you my new line of autumn drinks!” she said happily as she handed me the brochure. 

I skimmed through the few pages quickly. Several drink titles were typed in bold letters, with their ingredients and a picture of what the final drink should look like. The names were a little silly; Cookie-Caramel Craze, Pumpkin-Pie Perfection, Apples and Spices Hot Chocolate. I couldn’t imagine walking up to a cash register and saying, “Can I have a Cinnamon-Bun Coffee please?” 

With perfect timing, a boy around my age strode into the coffee shop. He had jet-black hair with dark eyes and a look of annoyance across his face. He reminded me of an actor I don’t remember. In a movie I also don’t remember. Adam had a very charming and familiar face.

“Adam, glad you could join us! Maya, this is Adam. Adam, this is Maya. You two will be working the weekend morning shifts together!” Mindy vocalized.

 Adam gave me a half-welcoming and half-annoyed glance. From Mindy’s description, I pictured him to be a little... happier. I watched Adam grab his apron from a hook, before I turned to Mindy.

“This looks great, do I just work behind the counter?” I questioned and Mindy nodded.

“Yes, yes. Adam and you will each take a customer and construct their drink, and then take care of the next customer. I will occasionally help out, but today I have a few business things to take care of,” Mindy explained as she gave a sideways glance to Adam. 

With a final nod, she left for the door in the back, which presumably led to her office. 

An awkward silence filled the air between me and Adam. He didn’t waste time, and started brewing coffee. So much for an introduction.

“So, hello. I’m Maya Brown. Or Maya, which is my only nickname,” I stuttered. Why am I embarrassing myself like this?

“Adam. Just Adam,” He responded. He didn’t even look up.

“That’s a great name. So should I start doing what you're doing?” I asked. I looked like an idiot.

“No, it’s more of a one-person job. You can just wait for a customer, they usually start coming in the next five minutes.”

“Oh, okay then. How are you?”

“Alright.”

“Have you worked here for awhile?”

“No, a few weeks. Since the coffee shop has only been open for a few weeks.”

Adam did not seem to enjoy this conversation. I made a mental note to not to talk to Adam. Why am I so awkward now? 

The bell twinkled and karma struck. Or maybe not karma, did I do something wrong? Daisy Brooks sashayed in with another girl my age. I didn’t recognize the other girl, but if she’s with Daisy, I already have a good idea of what she’s like. It must have taken Daisy a second to realize who I was, before a scowl was painted on her face. The scowl was quickly erased though, once she saw Adam. She narrowed her eyes at the chalkboard, and her white acrylics drummed across the counter. The other girl seemed more timid now, and stood behind Daisy.

Daisy straightened and gave me a sneer. “Marla, right? Well, I drink black coffee, so I think I’ll have one of those. But add flavor.” 

Does she understand what black coffee is? Flavor? 

“Sure, Daisy,” I replied with a sweet voice.

 Maybe it didn’t sound so sweet, because Daisy just raised one of her perfectly trimmed eyebrows at me. Her ice blue eyes were piercing, and coated with makeup, but still piercing. 

The girl in the back inched forwards unsteadily, as if mentally asking permission to move. As she opened her mouth, Daisy’s glossed lips started.

“She will have the same thing. Black coffee with flavor.” The word flavor was pronounced slowly, as if I couldn’t understand.

“Do you mean black coffee? Because that is just coffee brewed without sugar or sweeteners,” I said with an equally taunting voice.

 There goes the nice girl. 

“I don’t think you understand, Marla. I’m sure he does,” Daisy chirped towards Adam. 

Adam immediately looked at us, apparently listening the whole time. “I don’t understand. If you want flavor, I suggest our new autumn line,” Adam answered shortly. 

That’s one way to promote Mindy’s drinks.

“Oh wow thanks! I want the pumpkin one, and so does she!” Daisy enthusiastically responded.

 At least Daisy didn’t say Pumpkin-Pie Perfection. 

The other girl stood back and nodded. I rolled my eyes, but ranged them up. Daisy of course paid with a credit card, which she wiped on her sleeve after swiping. 

“Coming right up,” I sarcastically cheered. Daisy smirked and started whispering to the other girl. 

I flipped through the pages until I found the drink. Cold brew, pumpkin syrup, ice, and milk blended, with whipped cream and cinnamon and nutmeg on top. I felt Daisy’s sharp eyes on my back as I looked for the pumpkin syrup. Chocolate, no. Caramel, no. Vanilla, no. I could practically feel Daisy’s laughs. At some point, Adam must have noticed me hunched over all the bottles and their labels, since he was now standing right over me.

“What are you doing?” he whispered. The bell twinkled.

“I am making a drink,” I murmured back. 

What else would I be doing?

“Move, I’ll do it,” he mumbled back and I moved out the way.

 In the three seconds it took for me to appear at the cash register, Adam had already started the blending. I turned around and faced the newest customer. A middle-aged man and his, presumably, daughter looked back at me. The conversation was dull, and rather simple:

“Good morning, welcome to Mindy’s.”

“Hello, I would like a black coffee and a croissant please.”

“Great, and for you?”

“Hi! An Apple and Spices Hot Chocolate!” 

The name no longer sounded stupid when a little girl was requesting it. 

“Great, that will be $10.57.”

“You take credit right?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you.”

 I didn’t even want to know the ingredients for the hot chocolate. As I started pouring the black coffee, I heard an all too familiar squeal.

“My shirt! Marla come here now!” 

Only one person called me “Marla”, so I turned around to see a very distressed Daisy.

“The lid of the cup! Someone didn’t do it right! Marla!” Daisy spat out and I took in the mess. 

The lid of the drink was on the ground and soft, foamy whipped cream drizzled down Daisy’s black vest. The blended drink looked like my cat’s food, as sprinkled through Daisy’s bleached and damaged curls. 

“Marla! I need help now!” Daisy huffed as she ran her fingers through hair, which ultimately caused the drink to land onto her shoes. 

I gave Adam a sideways glance as I grabbed a handful of napkins. How do you put the lid on a drink wrong? It was an accident, right? Adam seemed slightly amused, but busied himself by heating up the other customer’s croissant.

Daisy on the other hand, could be no less amused. I almost felt bad for her, until she snatched away the napkins.

“Marla, I swear my dad will hear about this!” Daisy cried. Not that I knew her dad or why he was supposed to scare me.

“That’s great. Do you want a refund?” I replied. Daisy scowled and tossed the napkin on the table.

“No, Marla, I do not. I want to go. You can clean up since you made the mess,” Daisy flustered as she turned around.

 Her friend didn’t really seem to get the memo, and continued to drink hers. Daisy grabbed the drink from the girl’s hands, and clutched her wrist. I’m not sure if they have a secret telepathy between them, but the other girl blushed and followed Daisy out the door. Daisy, being Daisy, slammed the door shut.

I braced myself for the other customers; the serious father will tell Mindy, who will fire me, and then I will have no job, again. As I got ready for the glares, I heard a chuckle instead. The little girl started giggling and her father continued with her.

“Wow, Daddy! She was so mad and red, she was like a ketchup bottle!” the little girl giggled.

 A strange comparison, but it works. I smiled and turned to Adam, who to my delight, finished the hot chocolate. He handed the father and daughter their food, who graciously took it and walked out. Once the door closed, I spun around to Adam.

“What was that? Was that an accident?” I half-accused.

“Of course it was,” he said back, with a crooked grin. 

I rolled my eyes as we shared a laugh. The bell twinkled again and I approached the new customers.

“Welcome to Mindy’s Coffee Shop.”

October 13, 2020 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.