0 comments

Contemporary High School Friendship

"So...you've been inside?"

"Yeah, I explored the house and then called you to check it out for yourself. Idiot. No, I haven't been in, yet."

"Sarcasm's a new look for you, not liking it. Someone broke into your house and you call me? Why? No one else wanted to deal with this mess? Or were they just not in the mood to come over in the middle of the night and look for possible criminals?"

"You have the least to lose, you know...if you happen to die."

"Thanks." It was true, even if it was a low blow.

"Just go inside!" I urged him.

"It's your house. You go in."

"Why did you come over, if you don't even want to help?"

"Ugh, you're intolerable."

"Cause I think and question your actions? I'm sorry if you're not used to it, but some of us use our brains on a daily basis."

"Do you want to argue out here all night, or actually catch the robber?"

"Fine, let's both go in then." Why did I even call him? I didn't need this, not now. His annoying, arrogant behaviour was never welcome, let alone when I was freaking out about being robbed. Although it was a good distraction, even if it's only temporary.


I unlocked the door, and reached for the lights, he caught my hand, shaking his head. He started signing something, but without the moonlight and the street lamps I could barely make out his silhouette, not to mention understand his gesturing. I stared at him hoping my eyes would get used to the dark, but nothing. He stopped the gesturing and leaned in close. This was new.

"I think we should stay together, seeing as you'd be useless on your own." What?! I was about to protest, when he took hold of my hand, feeling the warmth of his, I realised how cold mine were. I was nervous, maybe even scared. "Let's first check upstairs, okay?" He sounded so gentle and caring. I know Ashley said he was sweet deep down, I just always thought it was too deep down for it to ever show. He was the one in our friend group I barely talked to and not out of chance. I did in general feel uncomfortable talking to guys, however with Jamie and Gavin it seemed easier, but Justin. He's just so- A creak! I gasped as I managed to hold in the string of curse words trying to escape. Justin just looked at me, I couldn't see his expression, it probably featured annoyance. Now I was sure of it, I was scared. I heard a voice coming from one of the rooms, I tried signalling Justin, but he didn't seem interested, and I was not about to check it out on my own. We crept around, me hiding behind his shoulder, keeping my fear under control, barely managing.

As we finished with the living room arriving back at the front door, Justin flicked on the lights.

"Tell me honestly, was it you?" He seemed concerned, very out of place emotion for the situation, I thought.

"What?"

"Did you break the window?" He sighed. "Nellie, have you seen the doctor Ashley recommended?"

"No. I don't want to go to a shrink. I'm fine, other than the whole stalker thing. It wasn't me, okay? I didn't break my own window. I'm not crazy!" He didn't believe me, I could see it in his eyes. He seemed worried, trying to take hold of my hand, but I pulled away. Why does everyone keep looking at me like that? All pitiful and concerned for my mental health. What about my physical health? No one ever thinks about the actual problem. The stalker.

"Please, just... I'll go with you if that helps."

"Justin, I'm not ill, okay? Why can no one wrap their mind around that? The only sick one is that weird guy following me around."

"Nellie. If there's no problem, then at least you'll get to say I told you so, isn't that worth it? You always want to stick it to me, now I'm letting you." He smirked, knowing very well how to bait me into going.

"What if they find something? What if I'm misdiagnosed, maybe even mistreated, what if they give me some meds, that hurt me?"

"They would notice before anything serious happens."

"Oh, really? What if they don't? Would you risk me getting poisoned?"

"Oh, come on, they study for almost a decade, I think they know what they're doing. Besides this is only a consultation to see if you even need tests. It's not a big deal, promise."

"Will you go to one too?"

"Hell no." He replied without missing a beat. How could he expect me to not think it a big deal when he himself is so repulsed by it.

"So why should I?"

"Cause you're sick! Okay? We all see it! It's not healthy. This, the whole delusion about stalkers and doctors poisoning you! You're imagining it all! No one ever saw that guy, the stalker, you keep talking about, only you! We try our best to handle it, we come whenever you cry wolf. Like now, even though I knew that probably no one was in your house, I came! Just to make you feel safe! But we can't keep doing this, we all have our own problems and lives to deal with! You. Need. To. See. A doctor!" He facepalmed himself and pulled his hand down his face, groaning. "This is not how I wanted to do this. Sorry. I didn't want to shout. I, we worry about you. If not for yourself then for us, go."

"Why do you even care?" Even I was surprised that I could talk. His yelling would've made me broke down if it weren't for the topic. (I'm bad at handling conflict.) Or at the least made me speechless for a few minutes, but somehow I found my voice.

"You're our friend, how could we not?"

"You are not my friend, we barely talk." All I knew about him was that he's an orphan. I hung out with him and even watched him play, but talk, have a conversation? Nah, only if we were forced, even then it was mostly weather and school.

"We talk enough for me to care for you. How did you say it? I'm sorry if you're not used to it but some of us use our hearts on a day to day basis."

"That's a very cheesy li-" I couldn't finish my sentence, as my breath hitched, my body froze, except for my heart which beat as if I'd just ran a mile. The stalker, he was here. I could see him outside the window. To an untrained eye, they were undetectable, mostly with the lamps reflecting on the glass, but I've seen that dark red hoodie enough times to recognise it. All those times, they were never this close. Most of the times there was a whole football field between us and I was surrounded by people. "They're here." I kept repeating in my head. I must've said it out loud as well, cause Justin shook me, and asked: "Who's here?!"

"The stalker."

"Where is he? Nellie, point, or say something!" I raised my hand, my eyes and attention still transfixed on the lean stature across the street.

"I can't see anyone. Wait, is that...?!"

June 05, 2021 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.