0 comments

Speculative Science Fiction Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

CW: Some strong violence and language


The buildings history was quite young, owing its pregnancy to nineteen-twelve , when after the Second World War had ended, and the Axis powers claimed their victory, Polish-Jewish navy man, Daniel Nowak, fresh from the haze of war and sting of defeat, now found himself alone in Europe and bereft of most of his familial connections, came by ship to New York. He worked as a simple shipwright, they say. Toiling away on the boat, tucked away and hidden in his quiet. When they arrived at the dock of a Manhattan harbor, Nowak drifted aimlessly around the island, doing odd jobs as he went along. Eventually, while doing ship work at another port, he came across Franklin Kelly. Kelly, a British architect and real estate tycoon, took a liking to Nowak's ship work, saying he had an eye for superior craftsmanship.


Nowak, by nature a withdrawn and private man, though also still young and having a young man's yearning for approval, slowly opened up to Kelly, eventually showing him his book of illustrations for ships, buildings and all manner of structures he had dreamed of. Kelly, who was in New York for new business opportunities and ventures, hired Nowak as an assistant. The pay would be low to decent, but if Nowak proved himself , the promise of higher stature awaited him. And Nowak did, in five years time being one of Kelly's most trusted designers and advisors.


Kelly, now spending most of his time in New York, his wife having left him and taking their daughter, Sophia, due to his continued licentiousness, and Britain falling more and more under Axis influence . It was there, on that night, Kelly coming back from a club, his tuxedo disheveled and breath soiled with alcohol, he came up to Nowak's study he had gifted him, Nowak as always burning the midnight oil and hunched over strange and peculiar designs. Like a thundering, drunken god, he threw open the heavy, oak doors, stomping in as he announced his plans for a building like no other. A structure that would be the culmination of all man's history. He said he wanted to start tomorrow, to which Nowak, now looking up from his drawings, turned to Kelly and simply said:


"Okay."


Like the firmament itself had opened up, revealing even higher heavens that man had not yet had revelation of . That's what it was like on February third, nineteen-twelve, when Kelly had gathered an army to began construction of the Apollo. Across the earth, in every nation and tribe, the sky opened up, as if being ripped and torn apart by some unseen cosmic hand. Behind it, a blinding light, and to the few select, something stranger. The death toll was large. Planes, having fallen out of the clouds mid flight, the streets running with blood, an omnipresent shriek filling the air as crashed cars honked endlessly, the drivers either dead or maimed.


A few weeks later in Hong Kong China, a man who had seen the light, but also the hidden strangeness , had lost his wife in the chaos of the unveiling, and now stood upon a building, ready to jump. They say his tears were the first to float after he had leapt, falling for a moment, then, when all he felt was still, opening his eyes to find himself levitating above a couple with their newborn. Cases slowly popped up around the word, about 255 in total. The most monumental, however, was the case of Daniel Nowak.


When it happened, Nowak was on the ground level, going over plans with the construction managers when a crane operator suffered a stroke during the blinding, a large slab of metal falling. Some accounts say Nowak only put up his hands and in the blink of an eye was carrying the slab away, like some Olympian god of old. Others, that he looked up at the menacing debris with determination, and flew towards it like a rocket. All we know is that Daniel Nowak looked up, and within seconds was carrying an eight hundred pound piece of metal.


Like it was nothing.


The construction of the building, now with the physical aid of Nowak, was expedited substantially, and more complex than what was originally dreamed on paper. They named it Apollo, since by the time is was near completion, it extended far past the sky, far past even the clouds, peaking nearly into the ether itself. Reaching for the sun. It was three-thousand, four-hundred and eighty feet tall.


Every academic, every scientist, every theologian, mystic and philosopher, every magazine, prestigious or gossip, theorized and debated endlessly about "the strangeness behind the light". What could it have been, and why. In the end, it was all meaningless jabber. Trite conversation. The most learned men, stumped and made fools at the feet of the mystery. It wasn't long before the Axis powers realized they had superior specimen within their borders, and the beginning of the great cold war started.


Nowak, with the encouragement of Kelly, who's already substantial wealth had ballooned astronomically, started becoming involved in world affairs. Stomping out a skirmish here and there. Eventually, his exploits earned him a name: Apollo. Named after both his construction, and the the Greek pantheon god. As things often go, Nowak found he wasn't alone in using his new gotten albitites for altruistic purposes, others joining him. The Pentagon, in their endless ruminations on war, thought a team would work best, organized and centralized, and most importantly (at least to Kelly due to possible financial incentives) stationed at the Apollo building. For four years, all went well. Until the nightmares began.


Nowak, now spending almost all his time involved in the increasingly deteriorating geopolitical scene, and fighting the Axis powers increasingly dangerous combatants, had begun to experience nightmares of something terrible, and far, far away. But as the dreams continued, almost becoming palpable, he grew in conviction that they were sure to happen. Before the turn of the new century, humanity would come to an end.


While on a tour in South America, convincing what little nations left that remained somewhat sympathetic to Allied Causes to remain allies, Nowak, or now Apollo, suffered an intense, near debilitating bout of nightmares while wake. Almost like a sinister case of maladaptive day dreaming. He claimed he saw a "whale", and embarked on that faithful rampage which would come be known as "Judgment Day". In this battle against the whale, an estimated four-thousand, two-hundred and twenty three people died. The United Sates military gathered nearly all their forces to fight him, The Olympians also aiding, who were seven in total. In addition to civilians, many soldiers lost their life in the battle, as well as two Olympians, Obsidian and Hawk. What made matters even worse, was the involvement of Void, who at the last moment, defended Nowak against the military and Olympians. After the battle was won, and the Olympians and United Sates military claimed victory against Apollo, his dead and scorched body floating in the Atlantic, Void claimed that he was mind controlled by his old villain, Mamau, who he said was in partnership with Apollo. After a lengthy and heavily publicized trial, this defense was accepted, though Void's ability to intervene in global affairs was greatly reduced, and he was now under near constant surveillance by various government agencies.


Kelly, shocked and in deep mourning, pledged his wealth to various humanitarian causes, and undoing the damage that Nowak had wrought. The Apollo building, though keeping its name, Kelly unable to change it due to his love of Nowak, was made into a public space as a gesture of change and goodwill.


It was Christmas Eve, nineteen-thirty, and the sidewalks and streets of New Manhattan were at a standstill, chocked full of festive men and women. The air itself was almost electric, people lined up for blocks for the annual Olympian Christmas Festival. The festival included free gifts, free food, giveaways, a circus show, a shopping mall and lastly, at the conclusion of the evening, everyone would be brought to the top of Apollo to watch Sampson‘s shooting star routine, Sampson flying to the moon then back to earth, igniting midway.


Luckily for Lucile, she had a front row seat to the whole show, and better yet, free of charge. Okay, maybe not free of charge, as Lucile was currently unrolling the last of the maroon rugs for the event. Two of her coworkers had called in sick, and as these things often go, the extra burden fell to her.


"I got the Northeast sector all done for you", said Artie, Lucile's coworker, a teenager with dirty blonde hair and even dirtier face. "Since you got you work cut out for you over here."


Lucile was sure Artie meant that as a jab at her misfortune, but was thankful nonetheless for Artie helping her out.


"Thanks, Artie."


"No problem, no problem. It's a shit world, even shiter if we're not looking out for each other."


The finishing touches of decoration were all but finished, and Apollo would open its golden gates at any moment. Two, trumpet like horns rang out, a signal that the event was now beginning.


"I'm gonna go wash up real quick and change out this uniform, hopefully I'll see you somewhere in the line", Artie said.


Lucile was hunched over the sink of the employee restroom, washing her sweat and grime covered face. She had decided against stopping by her apartment real quick to get a change of clothes, in the time that would take the line most likely having tripped in length. Also, the pulsing headache that had been plaguing her the last few months was back, this time a particularly bad bout. Lucile winced, noticing blood droplets falling into the sink.


Claudia.


Lucile stumbled back, almost falling on the tile, a man speaking a word but the bathroom empty.


"W-who's there", Lucile said boldly , though a thick uncurrent of panic and fear threatened to break the illusion.


Silence, the only noise in the bathroom Lucile's panicked breath that huffed out her lungs.


Like a searing knife moving its way through inside her, a piercing movement wormed through her temple. Lucile ran to the sink, coughing thick blood.


The sting reached its height, the pain so severe she thought she might pass out or worse. A small, black pen, almost the size of a threading needle, wormed out the side of Lucile's eye socket, falling into the sink.


Open the portal. We don't have much time, the psyche barrier is fading. Move fast.


Lucile fell to her knees, convulsing violently. She felt her very essence being pried, tore away from her, with flashes of someone else replacing. The more she felt her self empty, the more the flashes moved in, filling in the gaps. Claudia began to weep, even though she had done this before, feeling as if a close friend had passed. So she cried for Lucile.


After a moment, she regained her composure and returned to the sink, plucking out the pen.


Good to see you back, it's been a rough couple months without you. The psyche barrier is now completely gone, Sophia will be able to detect you now that you're hostile intentions are visible. Stick to the plan and be fast. We won't get a chance like this for a long time. And this bounty is big, don't fuck things over for me.


Claudia threw the pen against the bathroom wall, a black, almost acidic web quickly branching out. A moment later, the wall crumbled, a black void behind it. Claudia reached her arm in, pulling out a large sack. She dropped it on the floor, the contents spilling out. Parts for a gun, a black oxygen mask, jet pack, stereo and small, round orb.


"How many portals is the orb good for?"


One. And only one. When you use it, you better be sure that's the moment.


"Lovely. Where are you?", Claudia asked as she put the gun together.


A faint, grisly chuckle.


Amongst the people.


"Funny", Claudia replied, her gun together and gear on. "I'm heading out. You'll know when I'm done, have the ship on standby ready for departure."


Will do.


Void levitated in his Apollo quarters, in a room that was akin to a Japanese temple. He claimed it helped him focus better, though some say it was just for aesthetic purposes. Regardless, he had to focus, a large part of proceedings of the event burdened on him, along with Kelly's AI, Sophia. Sampson would be doing his shooting star soon, and the three firmament rings that helped him achieve max velocity were powered mostly by Void. He found this task quite lonesome, but appreciated the sil-


A muffled crack rang out, Void falling to the floor, a scream accompanying, a bullet having cracked the silver helmet on his head. Claudia stood in front of a quickly closing portal, stereo in hand.


"W-what the fuck", Void shouted, crawling away on the floor, blood dripping from his ear. "Who the fuck are you?


Claudia sat the stereo down, playing a rock song and turning up the volume.


"You can't focus with too much noise, huh? Lousy downside, and now your little helmets gone."


"Wait. Is this about the layoffs? That was Kelly and the boards idea, not mine. Despite what the fucking tabloids claim, I don't...I never had that much sway in the decisions of the company. I- I'm just the tech guy."


Claudia now stood over Void, gun aimed.


"...hist first tour was in Venezuela. My brother. Eighteen, and fresh out of school. They say most of them died instantly, when you brought the meteors down."


Void sighed, a sudden, genuine sadness present in his eyes.


"Listen kid-"


"Don't call me kid."


Void sighed again.


"Listen, miss. That was...a tragedy. All I can do is say I'm sorry."


"Sorry that you helped massacre thousands of men and women?"


Void opened his mouth, then closed it, his eyes sinking.


"...it's all I can be. What else can be done?"


"Well, your death, which is about to happen, would help a little."


Void slowly raised his hands, his breath beginning to shake.


"There are...more things at play than you realize."


"What does that mean?"


"I..had to get more information from Apollo before the rest of The Olympians killed him."


"I don't know you're saying."


"Trust me kid, you don't want to. And you don't have to. You can walk out that door right now, and this will all be water under the bridge. I can't even see your face with that mask on."


Claudia looked at Void, his face gentle.


"Unfortunately, I have a hit on you, and bills need to be paid."


Void, as quick as lighting, or maybe faster, reached out his hand, but not before Claudia fired, a bullet tearing through his skull as he fell to the floor.


A thunderous crack rang from far overhead, Claudia running to the window to see Sampson falling from orbit, soon to topple into the Apollo.


"Shit. Where are you?", Claudia spat to herself.


Claudia breathed in, then backed up. She ran from across the room, shooting at the glass until it shattered then leaped out into the air, a sudden quiet encompassing her. She pressed a red button on her jet pack, then pulled a lever, a sputter emitting, but little else.


"Fuck", Claudia screamed as she began to freefall.


A boom, like an intense bellow and gush of wind rang out, a moment later a circular pod appearing beneath her, the size of a bus. The doors opened like an elevator, and Claudia tumbled in, landing with a thud against the floor.


"Good to see you, in the flesh I mean", said Guy, a bookish looking man with a kind face, though under his eyes laid hidden cruelty. "Would talk, but we need to go, buckle in."


Claudia stumbled up from the ground, sitting in the seat next to Guy as he pulled a lever back, the ship gaining velocity.


Apollo, now ignited, sped through the air, a boom echoing as he broke the sound barrier, and a second, even bigger boom emitting when he crashed through the building.


"This is crazy, Claudia. I mean it. Void dead, and maybe, hopefully Sampson? That's a two in one shot."


"Just give me my share, I don't care."


Guy chuckled.


"But you do, Claudia. You care like all the rest of us. The gods can be killed by mortal man. Sure, this took months, and you may have some lingering brain damage now, but it can be done. This opression...it can be stopped."


Claudia looked over at Guy with a slight smile, Guy returning it. Still though, in the far crevices of her mind, she thought about Void's words.











































December 08, 2023 05:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.