Dawn of Womanhood

Submitted into Contest #9 in response to: Write a story about unrequited love.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Felicity sat on Grammy's porch swing, her head cupped in her hands. The softly scented breezes rippled the sparkling waters of the ocean. Sunny rays spilled over her golden hair and pooled around her bare feet. She gazed out over the quiet village street and marveled at the lovely day that God created. She was blessed to live in this quaint, old village by the sea where her Scottish ancestors settled years ago. There was something so steadfast about this village. It had stood the test of time and hadn't changed much in the process. With all of humanity from the area going about their daily business, she felt in touch with life yet Felicity was thankful for the quietness that the village offered. Here she felt that she wasn't lost in the crowd but part of a happy family. She especially felt that way while attending the small country church out in the hills. God was so good to her. Sometimes life had major trials such as when her brother left home to work in the oilfields but she felt that God was with her. He had led her life up to this point and would continue to do so. 


A smile flickered on her face as she thought of the trip she and her older sister had taken last summer. They had spent a working vacation out on the prairies. As they spent a summer with their father's sister and her small family, they had met many wonderful people. Some were more special than others. Felicity's eyes softened when she thought of her uncle's younger brother. She remembered how gentle he was with his nieces and the kind words he had spoken to her one evening while she was feeling a little homesick. He was a special boy and fun to be with during youth group. Never before had she been so relaxed in a boy's company. The budding rose of friendship that grew in Felicity's heart soon blossomed into the flower of love.


All to soon the summer was over and it was time for the sisters to return home. Margaret planned to teach a second term and Felicity offered to care for their ailing grandmother. Suddenly, at Christmas Andrew came back into her life again when he came to visit his sister Bethany who was teaching with Margaret. Or so he said...Felicity's heart pounded as she thought of him. Would she be ready if he asked for her hand in marriage? Would she be willing to leave this beautiful village and go back to the bald prairies to live for the rest of her life? She had enjoyed it there and the prairies were beautiful in their own way but would she want to live there permanently?


She glanced at the occasional clouds floating in the sky. "A day like this would be lovely for a wedding," Felicity mused. "So often on the East Coast the weather is miserable. What are the chances of a nice day for a wedding?" Felicity wondered.


That evening as the stars sparkled overhead and the ocean mists cooled the land, Margaret drove up the lane to Grammy's house. Felicity glanced out of the window where she was drying the dishes. She was surprised. Margaret usually didn't come visit so late in the evening. The sisters were close and she was welcome anytime. Ever since Margaret was adopted into the family, a relationship had grown between them that was closer than most blood siblings. Felicity didn't know whom she loved most, Andrew or her sister. Both held a very special place in her heart.


She opened the door just as Margaret reached out to knock. Felicity smiled warmly as her sister closed the door behind her. "Come to my room," she invited as she led the way. "We have to be quiet since Grammy is sleeping. She's been doing poorly tonight."


"Okay," Margaret said absentmindedly. "I won't stay long since I have lots of school work to do this evening. She seemed preoccupied as she fingered the puzzle pieces beside the bed. Suddenly she sat down and glanced at her sister and then at her hands. "Felicity,  I have something to tell you."


The blood in Felicity's veins turned to ice and she reached for the sweater that lay on the foot of her bed. She knew. How she knew, Felicity could never have said but the words that followed were still a crushing blow to the young girl's soul. "I'm getting married. To Andrew," Margaret said softly. She glanced at the younger sister but Felicity turned away. "How could she face life without Margaret? And Andrew?" The pain wrenched the girl's heart.


Margaret got up and sat beside her sister on the bed. She wrapped her arms around Felicity and gave her a long squeeze. "Please don't take it hard," she whispered. "I've heard that some girls refuse to speak to their sisters for awhile when they get married. Please don't be like that."


"I won't," Felicity promised.


Margaret didn't stay long after that. When she left, Felicity lay on the bed and moaned. She felt as if she was entering a long, dark tunnel with no end in sight. In the darkness she felt God's comforting arms around her. Thoughts started to flow into her befuddled brain. "Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world." Tears cooled her hot cheeks as Felicity prepared for bed. The road ahead was going to be rocky but she knew she wasn't going to walk it alone. The Good Shepherd would be with her each step of the way.



September 28, 2019 06:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.