0 comments

Drama Fantasy Historical Fiction

It's Monday , the day were everybody got annoyed because it's another week to survive and we knew every Monday experience were terrible.Change of body clock, rushed breakfast, rushed shower, stuck on traffic , stuck at the lane at the coffee shop and most probably horrible is stuck on the elevator.

Reve , a customer service representative in a well known institution starting his monday with an unwealthy vibe, he just got a nightmare. He started making his breakfast with store-bought pancit canton-pandesal ( which is technically Filipino stir-fried noodles and salt bread usually cost like 41 cents). Afterwards going to take a shower, and leave his place. When transporting , he rides the bus cause he ain't a billionaire. The bus were crowded like you're in singer's concert. Most of the people in the bus are student with sleepy eyes and might do an all-nighter review for the exam, employee who's salary is ranges up to $10 dollars a day and travelling from home to their workplace for 2 hours and working for 8 hours. He is now standing beside the driver, he is looking at the road as the driver always does, he sees different and expensive cars and he knew that those who rides on those cars have powers and connection like how they don't suffer like a normal person does. After a long ride, Reve arrived his workplace, a tall building with a good structural design. He entered the building and before he goes to his floor, he needs to go to the front desk to sign in for the working hours and after that he entered the elevator but as the unlucky day continued , Reve is now stuck at the elevator. He is claustrophobic, he is in panic and doesn't know what to do and clicking all the floor button. He didn't see any camera in the elevator but he only sees himself through the mirrored glass, and the elevator suddenly shakes and he dump his head and fell asleep. After a few hours, he's now awake and he still in the trapped elevator, he doesn't know why this is happening until a voice behind his ear whispered "you are trapped here because of trapped here because of the society and your knowledge". He was shocked and frustrated as he turned around cause nobody is there. The voice added " The cage inside of your true self and you need to find it" as this voice echoes , he fall from the platform, he is now on the ground, he saw his daily life in the unfair society with it's unjust system and how other people threat their fellow people with their powers, giving them unproper salary rate and a like, he see also himself suffering from sustaining himself he will get fired to his current job due to political orders. Suddenly a light from the platform shown, he's now in the top floor, he still saw the unfair society with it's prejudice authority, but he isn't just a slave for the rich but he spoke what the poor need to spoke, he doesn't give a what to the authority, the society needs justice and everyone has to spoke.

After seeing this, a red light beaming to his eyes then he is now in the elevator, the voice that he heard wasn't anyone's voice but his voice that he kept since he lost his family and his tribe ( Lumads ). The authority removes his rights to be educated, to have a family, but the give them wrath and war and threatening the indigenous people until everyone forgot them. He open his heart as the elevator opens and he is sure that he will be the one that make the real changes. When he open his eyes, he's still stuck in the elevator like what does his mind tells he shouldn't be fighting for the authority cause it will put himself into danger but his heart tells that he should fight those people who lose their life because of the authority and prejudice, he remembered the one hundred forty four lumads died from this reign and twelve thousand innocent people were killed in this propaganda called "Drug War". Now, he was about to cast his decision, his opinion and move. He already answer his question but the elevator is still stuck. The voice return "You aren't sure for your decision, are you?', the voice knew that he is denying all the fact because of the powers of the authority and how can they use it. If he opposed all of the authorities plan to their society, he knew there is the morning that his friends will mourn, he knew that if he spoke what he knew, he will be lying dead. He still needs time to answer this question and he saw a picture of his family on elevator, more like a moving photograph. He saw his family in his graduation picture and he knew that he will never achieved that but he also knew that this is what he really wants. As fighting the poverty, he just finished high school and started working hard from different job and since that, he dream to have his family back again and continue to study medicine but faith didn't gave it and gave him hardship. The photograph tells his story and now, his mother came out to the picture and tells him, " We are doing great here, my son. I hope you truly have your answer on your problem, only yourself knows what's your right and only you can give justice to us. You are the only one left to give us a better life, if you failed, its okay cause sometimes in war we lose but that doesn't mean it's useless but it means a lesson. Go my son, and find your true self." When he hugged her mother , a beam of light were shoving in his eyes and then he fell asleep. Reve hears his alarm and it's monday again, and now the Day of Changes.

September 09, 2020 06:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.