0 comments

American Historical Fiction Thriller

2 young men watch the sunrise. The day was beautiful while birds take their flight for today's share of food. The one with the moustache looked other with the Glasses. Their expressions were bright as the day after they said farewell to their family and head for Vietnam. "Big brother James, thanks for coming along with me," Young Sargent said to his colleague brother. "Do not worry, we will win this war!" James replied to Thomas boldly. James Hoover didn't sign for Vietnam recruit. However, Youngman demanded to come along with his young brother, Thomas Hoover.

1968/1/1 They were assigned to this day on Vietnam as so, they reached along with other soldiers. They land in the southern city of Vietnam known as Saigon. They got armed and headed to the American Embassy. Days pass by as they united with their old comrades, Sir; Max Stoneheart, and Sir; Roy Clifford. Some were well and good, but some were just in pictures. "However, this is what meant to be a soldier and, I'm sure they don't have any regrets," James said with honour, and others agreed.

1968/1/23 Soldiers sat as a group in the night, some were drinking wine and some were just scared. The group of James was in distance from others. They all lit the bonfire and surrounded it. "Darn, I miss my wife," Roy said while sipping a drink of expensive wine, which he stole from higher-ups. Everyone laughs except Max. He was rather calm than others, but even just glancing at him, James could tell that he was scared. "Missing mama's boobs?" James said. "Fuck off!" While Max replied, annoyed. His reply irritated James utterly. "We are soldiers, and we have to fight!" He yells as his words reached others' ears and increase their lost spirits, including Max and Thomas. James served higher than them and was respected by most. His words had weights to listen to.

1968/1/28/5:49 A.M. James was alone standing and glaring at a photo of his wife waiting for him at home. No matter what men say in front of others, they are fragile. Thomas knew his brother and also knew; how scared he is but sadly couldn't help. Yet the most aching thing for him is; his brother was in mess just because of Thomas being weak.

1968/1/30/11:09 P.M. The squad of James walked throughout the city. The brightness of the Tet Nguyen Dan festival was a beauty they have never seen in the U.S ever. They all enjoyed with kids lighting the fireworks and olds filling each other with kind talks. Things were nice and healthy for time being. They got tired after taking a long walk through the city. They arrived at their apartment by the time 12:03 A.M on 31st of January, 1968. They dropped their arms and rest on the bed without even undressing and most falls asleep...

1968/1/31/2:40 A.M. Thomas was asleep but was hearing various noises, however suddenly the blasts of strings of exploding firecrackers and lead everyone to wake. Thomas and James's eyes met as they rushed towards the window, and not just them but others as well, and saw something they are going to have nightmares about. The street was filled with bloody bodies and fire. The roar of a heavy-calibre machine gun and it seemed to be shooting up Pasteur Street just three room-lengths away. They all rushed towards their weapons and then exits the apartment which was blown by in a few seconds after them leaving.

They were exhausted by running for more than 30 minutes without any orders from above. They hid under a house which was looking half-destroyed. James scout to the right-side while Max lookout towards the left-side. Yet the worst thing was; Roy's leg has been injured while protecting Max from the blast earlier. Thomas's hands were shaking immensely while bandaging Roy's leg and that was inevitable. No matter how skilled you are, being in this kind of situation is very alarming. While Roy was barely holding his screams of pain and was in complete agony. Max can't even able to grip his assault rifle steady. While James was the calmest by breathing heavily, however, his breathing became heavier as after seeing a Tank with Viet Cong flag above, charging to their streets. The Tank was destroying everything along in its way and soon later they also going to caught-up in it. James gives a sign to Max of retreat, but he couldn't able to saw it because of tension. James turns to Thomas but he, as well, didn't reply but Roy saw the sign and immediately known the means. He stopped Thomas's hand from bandaging and draw him closer, near to his ear, and whispers. "Take care of Max..." Thomas hurriedly distant himself and gaze at him as he spun to James and saw the sign. Tension in his expression risen enormously. He went near Max who was drawn to the left-side and whispers calmly. "I'm sorry." Max turns his sights towards him as saw Roy with giving a thumb at the right which filled Max with boundless stress but before he can do anything, Roy runs towards the Tank with a grenade in his right hand. Even a step was agony, yet still, he runs with all his might and yells vastly. "Here's your candies, motherfuckers!!" Tank turns to him but was late and by then, Roy already had thrown the grenade into the Tank's door that eventually leads to destroying it and died along. While James and the squad make a run by left. Red tracer bullets zipped through the sky and firefights were erupting near the centres of power in South Vietnam’s capital, the presidential palace, and the American Embassy. They do not have much idea but were sure the U.S army must be at the American Embassy and so, they moved with James taking full in-charge. While they walked, the only thing seeing was piles of dead bodies of children to elders on the ground massacred brutally. The blood that comes from those bodies was enough to fill a massive bathtub and the way, it soaked their shoes, nearly lead Max to vomit. They somehow reached the other troops and continue the war. And then, days pass by in numbers.

1968/2/24 The Viet Cong Troops seemly retreated as the American soldiers fire bullets into the sky above making them known that the U.S has won! James stood next to Thomas as patted his brother’s shoulder making him known that they’re not weak. However, Max beside them wasn’t happy. James sacrificed Roy, just to protect himself and his brother, that’s what Max thought and risen his anger towards James utterly. The U.S might have won this offence but, it wasn’t enough to show Viet Cong their true power and so, they launched various attacks. However, it wasn’t enough to make the Viet Cong surrender. The U.S may have many new techs weaponry but still was nearly impossible to beat Viet Cong who known the area better and had prepared the various ambushes.

1968/3/16 Thomas was in the bushes, scouting but soon later seen a village. There was no sign of a Viet Cong soldier from there but still can’t gamble on that and so, called the nearest troop from C Company 1st Battalion. They arrived in some amount of time, along with his squad James and Max. They all together reach the village armed with rifles. However, the village was filled with citizens of the north. Elders, women, children, and infants. The situation became complicated as James suggested to Williams Colly, the lieutenant of Company C. “We should retreat.” But upon hearing it Max shouts from behind. “We should kill them!” William remains mute as Max continues before even James could speak another word. “They killed our friends as well.” Every man out in the field supports Max’s idea. “Are you fucking serious?!” James said to Max as grabbed his collar but then Sir; William Colly shouts to his men. “Kill Them!” A smile appears on Max’s face.

“You were able to protect your brother by giving a sacrifice. But most here has already lost what little they have.” And so, U.S troops killed more than 500 innocent people in the event known as My Lai Massacre.

1968/5/10 The U.S and North Vietnam agreed that their representatives would meet in Paris on to begin the first discussions on the format for peace talks to end the war. Which results stop bombing in North Vietnam.

1968/7/20 James sat opposite to Thomas on the night beside the bonfire. Max wasn’t with them. He had already left the squad after the My Lai Massacre event. He has become a monster and could not breathe the same air as Hoover's brothers. The brother is as well are preparing to leave by tomorrow. “This might be our last night here,” James said to Thomas while eating a fish. “Yeah, this might be the last…” Thomas replied. “Remember, when we all sat together, enjoying the wine,” James said in sombre. Thomas was unknown to reply and couldn’t keep his company. “Yeah…” The only reply he can give. James glanced toward Thomas and saw sorrow in his eyes. “But, well, I will get to suck my wife’s tits.” Thomas turns to James with confusion as after some awkward silence, they laugh. The pair of brothers laugh until heartache stops them. James, after seeing his little Thomas in good spirits, he demanded his fist to him. At first, Thomas got a little uncertain then demanded his own fist towards as the fists of brothers touched, they smiled. However then, a bullet comes forth and hits on James’s chest! Thomas went mute as his elder brother falls dead on the ground. He spun his eyes to the left from where the bullet comes. As he picks up his brother’s rifle and aims. It was dark, nothing could be seen. However, because of being night, something was very clear. Thomas was able to hear wooden sticks rumbles as they draw near, Thomas shot and hit a man dead but others became aware and began to shoot. But then James, who had little of his life left, picks Thomas’s rifle from to the ground and shoots. He was on the ground, just as why couldn’t get hit by their bullets, and while Thomas takes cover behind a tree. All enemy men were dead and Thomas was near James’s head while he lay on the ground. “Looks like this it,” James said while Thomas remains quiet. “Hey, don’t be bitchy. We are soldiers, remember?” He continued. “Well, say good-bye to her. God, I’m gonna miss her…” James’s breathing became weaker as his life swept away and soon later, leaves his body completely while all Thomas could do is watch…

1969/1/20 Richard Nixon became president and retrieve many U.S troops from war leaving South-Vietnam alone while training South-Vietnamese soldiers and giving them new tech weaponry. However, both American and South-Vietnamese knew, if the U.S couldn’t able to win against the north, then there is no way South-Vietnam could do it alone.

1969/9/2 Ho Chi Minh the leader of Viet Cong died. For America, it was a huge fortune. However, American civilians found about the event; My Lai Massacre and a vast commotion break out, demanding peace. Nixon bombed Hanoi to bring Vietnam to an agreement and in just 6 days the peace was made. America released prisoners and withdraw from Vietnam.

1973/3/29 All complete Americans withdrew from South-Vietnam. Again, beginning the civil war of Vietnam and making countless life vanished.

1973/4/29 Saigon fall to the knees and surrender, stopping any further bloodshed. After 30 years of war and more than 2 million deaths and thousands of more casualties. Vietnam united as 1 country after getting Soviet help the new system was born and beginning to make things better. However, many people still starved till death and so, they fled to other countries…

"Thousand died for nothing but pride. Millions burned alive for nothing but greed. Innocents were killed for asking freedom. Don’t underestimate the War.” An old man sitting near a lake in his Ford's car said to his niece and she sat beside him, listens to the old man story till to the end with a sob. The old man’s name was Thomas Hoover. They were on a picnic with his wife grilling beef while his daughter helps her. He looked, the moon reflected off a lake and said. “Never Ever Underestimate the War”

…….


November 20, 2020 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.